Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: UKWAZI Wild Ventures into Kruger 2010
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 am 

This will not be a trip report, but reports on excursions into the park with Environmental & Field Guide Students in training . Hopefully I will post at least twice a month as we will be spending two weeks in the park per month.

So get your :popcorn: ready because the next trip is just about to start...

Post subject: Re: Wild Ventures into Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 am 

The PLAN for our October expedition...

Day 1: Explore the area around Sable Dam, Mosorini, Letaba River and Engelhart Dam (Overnight at Letaba).

Day 2: Today we will be focussing on birds along the Letaba & Olifants rivers and also following up on a tip-off about an active Pel's Fishing Owl nesting site in the area :pray:
(Overnight at Balule)

Day 3: Early morning visit to Bangu WH, and then continue further down South to Nwanetsi Picnic Spot for Breakfast. After breakfast down the S100 bypassing Satara back to Balule.

Day 4: The plan is to be at Ngotso just after sunrise followed by breakfast at Timbivati Picnic Spot. Some time at Ratelpan Bird Hide and then it's time to turn back North for a night at Shipandane Bird Hide.

Day 5: Follow the Ngwenyeni Spruit back to Phalaborwa

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi UKWAZI - How big is the group?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:25 am 

Hi Micetta

This month I'm taking 4 students, we dont take more than 6

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:13 am 

Hey Everybody...

Time to start my trip report:

DAY 1
Well, our long awaited trip started on Monday 25 October with the plan to enter the park through Phalaborwa Gate and then straight to Letaba via the H-9.

The first animal...

Then at Nhlanganini Dam this old grumpy buff...

We arrived at Letaba and booked into our Safari tents next to the fence, and then we only realized, no afternoon snooze today, it's 42 degrees so the best thing to do, is go and float in the pool :D

After a refreshing hour or two in the pool we decided to take a quick drive along the river to look for some water birds because we did not expect to see much more in the extreme heat of the day. Well, WRONG...

Before we left camp we saw this monitor lizard covering his nest after laying eggs in an old termite mount...

And then...just 300m from the gate before the turn-off to the day-visitors area, a LEOPARD :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm 

Day 2

We woke up to a windy day in Kruger, a thunderstorm was building up during the early hours of the night, but unfortunately, it did not rain at Letaba, BUT great was our surprice to see that a fair bit of rain has fallen in the Olifant area during the night.

The sightings were very slow so we decided to head straight to camp...

This Hippo bul welcomed us to the Olifants Valley at the Balule Lowwater Bridge...

Then a traffic jam on the other side of the bridge...

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 pm 

Day 3

Up at daybreak and ready to go just before gate opening time. The plan is the S100 via Bangu Waterhole.

And what did we found at Bangu Waterhole, this beuaty...

Whilst enjoying the Blackbacked Jackal a Red crested Korhaan said morning from the other side of the road...

Little did we know that a sad sight awaits us further on. We came accross this lion carcass just North of Gudzani Dam - Reason for death - UNKNOWN, we think that it might be Bovine Tuberculosis (TB).

With one "dead lion" already on the list, we finally saw our first air breathing lion on the S100...

Further down the road this Magnificant Waterbuck Bull...

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm 

Day 3 Continues...

After breakfast at Satara we found this Tree Agama displaying his bright breeding colours...

On our way back to Balule these two Souther Ground Hornbills crossed the road having a intimate talk...

We thought that this was it for the day when we got back to camp, but later on we decided just to quickly pay Bangu a visit before gate closing time, and I'm glad we did because Bangu rewarded us once again...

When we got there...

After the Elephants left the waterhole, we decided to wait for a while, and then they appeared, the "Royal Brothers of Bangu"...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:50 am 

Hi everybody, and thanks for following our expeditions into the Park...

It is time, THE PLAN FOR OUR NOVEMBER TRIP

We will be staying at Shipandane BH some time during the next two weeks for a night.

And then, a week in the Park...

22 November - Letaba...exploring the area around Sable Dam, Mosorini and the Letaba River

23 November - Balule...on this day we will focus on the Timbivati block around Roodewal, Piet Grobler Dam, Ratelpan BH etc.

24 November - Balule...we will be spending the day around Bangu WH, S100, Satara, Nwanetzi and Ngotso

25 November - Letaba...focussing on birds along the Olifants and Letaba Rivers

26 November... - Back to Phalaborwa

Hope to bring you some awesom sightings, but we will have to wait and see what Kruger has to offer us this month. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm 

OOOPS, I nearly forgot to share our sightings of the last day on our October trip :doh: Not much, BUT, before we left the Letaba River on our way back to Phalaborwa, there was the ussual traffic jam just before the Letaba crossing, and ya, we just missed the leopard crossing the road (it always happens!!!!!)...what we did see, was the response of these Kudu bulls to the presence of a leopard somewhere in the river bush nearby...

And this is what I call "taking a long and good look at what that is moving in the grass

Well, this is finally the end of our October expedition to the park, keep your :popcorn: ready because Noveber's report is coming soon!!

Untill then...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]