Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tiny's AWESOME TAMBOTI 3 NIGHTER-Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 am 

Hello to all Forumites.

Firstly let me start of with a big thank you to Touareg. :clap: :clap:
Reason being that i never ever visited the travel tales section of the forums until i met Touareg at Satara Rest Camp a few weeks ago. So i began to follow his trip report (The story of the Bushbaby, Badger and Hyena) and i really got excited with the way he expressed himself with his report that it just makes you want to pick up the phone, call sanparks, make a reservation for a couple of nights, gather some friends and head off to the Majestic Kruger National Park.

Guess what?
That is exactly what i did :dance: :dance: Thanks to you Touareg
I managed to get three nights at Tamboti Bush camp :big_eyes:
Called a couple of Kruger Junkies who all made up their own excuses to the government at home (The Wives) :big_eyes:
And let it be stated in the open that i will not be held responsible for a slap over the head with pair of pink slippers :whistle:

Some had to put in sick leave at work :clap: , some had to attend a funeral of a close relative out of town :doh: , some had to go down to Nelspruit for urgent business :hmz: and others told the truth and faced the wrath at home.
Just any excuse to be in Kruger. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After getting confirmation of those going to kruger (6 of us it total) the secret meetings began at my home in Benoni 8) , you know the place where Charlize Theron comes from :whistle:, Prince Albert of Monaco married a Charlize chikkie from Benoni :whistle: ,The movie Straight Out Of Benoni :whistle:
Benoni is a very well known place and a mere 380 km from the Malalane Gate. :dance:

So being the so called perfectionist that i am, i began with the groceries and supplies list making sure that nothing gets left out or left behind.
The meat order was placed at the local butcher and obviously the BILTONG was pre packed for the 4 days.
Smacking lips just thinking about it.
So the grocery and supply shopping is over and done with.

Door bell rings, crew arrives, car is reversed to the front door, boot is packed within a few seconds, such is the anticipation of the crew. :clap: :clap:
WOW now this is excitement to the max.
The slim grins on the faces of the crew waiting for me to give the final check.

WE ARE GOOD TO GO. :thumbs_up:

Our first night was a sleepover at a guest house in Malalane.

Having my very own Safari company based in Malalane :tongue: ,
I called Frank a qualified ranger and very good friend who free lances for me and requested one of the Safari Vehicles for a period of 4 days.

Come rain, hail, snow, wind or extreme heat.
This would be our wheels for the next 4 days.

We met at the Supa Quick to repair a puncture on the Safari Vehicle and did a quick check to the rest of the vehicle. All looking good and in good nick. :wink:
We then swapped vehicles and headed towards the nearest filling station.
Fuel (CHECK), Oil (CHECK), Water (CHECK) Tyre pressure's (CHECK).
All in order and good to go. :thumbs_up:

We proceede towards the guest house, unpacked the Safari Vehicle, had an early supper (Chicken Licken Hot Wings) with a cup of coffee.

Than we had a strange encounter with Bushman Bobby.
This really happened and we made up this ficticious name. :huh:
(Bushman Bobby).

While we were messing about in the lodge a rather strange character dressed in a Safari Suit and a big beard approached us for a cigarette. Who was this man? He introduced himself as Bushman Bobby, a man who claims to know the Bush better than anybody. As he smoked and heard our stories he always retaliated with a story that was better. We chatted about Scorpions, he recalled of an incident where they were surrounded by large Scorpions and prayed to drive the scorpions away. We spoke of snakes and he reckoned that he once encountered a Mozambican spitting Cobra and he spat in the Cobras eyes before it could spit at him. This man was remarkable. He counter acted us in every way. He also mentioned that he seen an Impala kill a Lioness at the Kruger Park once. We talked about Mosquitoes and he said that in Zambia he once seen Mosquitoes the size of a dragon fly like in the movie JUMANJI . His one cigarette turned into ten, he took a pack from us and left. The crew were just shocked. Were we going to see the last of Bushman Bobby?

I think that this pic bests describes Bushman Bobby.
Brave, powerful, courageous and good looking (to himself of course).

This is not a joke this really happened.

More to come.........

Last edited by TINY on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:02 am, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AWESOME TAMBOTI 3 NIGHTER
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:44 pm 

Hello and thanks to all respondents. Image

We are just getting warmed up so grab onto your popcorn and enjoy your virtual Safari. :popcorn:

Ok so lets carry on from where we left off.

DAY 1..... MALALANE TO TAMBOTI

Woke up early on the morning of the 14th October 2010 at approximately 04:00.
Did the basics, bathroom, brushed our teeth, Image got dressed, packed the Safari vehicle, boiled the water for the flasks and made way towards the Malalane Gate entrance.
Wheather was definately not in our favour and played straight into the hands of the Kruger Bushveld. The much needed rain had arrived to blossom the Bushveld. :clap:

Upon arrival at the gate approx 05:00 we were car number 3 :thumbs_up: .

THE GATE.

THE CREW

Not bad at all. Being a Safari operator within Kruger i knew how important it was to have all your documentation filled in and ready to hand over at the counter.

When the gates opened we proceeded towards the office, handed in the paperwork to Vusi at the counter and within no time we were inside the MAJESTIC KRUGER PARK.
A sigh of relief from all "we are eventually inside of Kruger" said one of the guys, and the sentiment was echoed by the rest of the group.

First stop Matjulu Water Hole.

Whilst driving on the S110 towards Berg-En-Dal the road was very quiet but we managed to spot an elephant ontop of one of the mountains.

All we could do was marvel at these huge creatures and ponder on just how agile they really are to make themselves get to the top of these places.
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

One of the best experiences on board an Open Safari Vehicle is the enhancement of your senses namely sight, sound, smell and boy oh boy let me tell you about the smell
of the fresh rains that was gently falling down from the heavens. The smell of the wet Bushveld............. AWESOME :shock:

THE WEATHER

We carried on with the S110 and than turned left onto the Matjulu Loop dirt road and proceeded towards the Matjulu Water Hole to have our first coffee break in the Bush.

While sipping through our coffee we had ambiance surrounding us from the bird life of Kruger.

We heared the following birds at the water hole:

Emerald-Spotted Dove, Natal Spurfowl, a Cardinal Woodpecker, The deep sounds of a Southern-Ground Hornbill, African Morning Dove and the Grey Go-Away bird.

Shooo words cannot describe the morning sounds when the Bushveld is awakening.

OOOPS sorry guys gotta run, have to take my son for soccer practice or els i will get the pink slipper over my head. :whistle:

Will add to trip report later.

Till then.

Enjoy

Last edited by TINY on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:59 pm 

Hi formmites.

Hi Gunner, the elle was spotted by the Biker with the red jacket :clap: .

Hi Okie more coming your way shortly, patience patience :wink:

Hi Touareg, Those kind words was just to say thanks for introducing me to the Travel Tales section on the forums. Believe it or not but the two guys with the biker jackets are indeed serious bike riders. Wow bikers on Safari :huh:
That just shows the power of Kruger to all different individuals, and as for my secret routes, we will just have to wait and see what magic it had delivered.

Hi Micetta, So now my cover is blown. (DAMN) :whistle:

Hi Kate, thanks again to the yellow ribbon a new friendship was born :clap: :clap:
Hey the Buffalo kill near Satara was a rather great sighting. :thumbs_up:
Regards to Barry.

As you can see from the weather the day was very overcast with lots of drizzle so please don't expect toooooooooo much from the photography side of things. The light was really bad all weekend, i think that Kate will agree with me on that one.

DAY 1..........CONTINUATION.....

While we were enjoying our cup of coffee and listening to the birds, we had a very wet and fluffed out Dark-Capped Bulbul. Very amusing to see these birds when they are wet :lol:

After coffee we carried on with the Matjulu Loop and took a left onto Steilberg.
I then told the crew to brace themselves for a soaking as we are now going to drive through some low lying clowds.

View from the top of Steilberg with the low lying clouds.

After Steilberg i decided to take the Mlambane Loop, then left onto the S114 straight to Skukuza.

The road was rather very quiet and did not yield much, mainly due to the Controll burning of the bush. :huh:
But i must add that the part that was so badly burnt is now showing signs of life with new shoots springing up just everywhere. The growth of the bush is looking very promising. :pray:

Saw the following on the S114 towards Skukuza:

Beautiful Male Kudu.

A Hamerkop with a stunning specimen of a nest at the Biyamiti Weir.

The nest of a Hamerkop.

Great view of the Biyamiti Weir

Baby Croc trying to get some energy from any sunlight possible.

Male Waterbuck.

White Rhino.

After posting the pics from the S114 it seems to be that quite alot was seen on that road. :huh:

Thats it for now folks.
The highlight of day 1 is still to come.

Was it a Lion sighting, perhaps a leopard with a kill, who knows only the pics will tell the Travel Tale.

Let the suspense play havoc untill my next post.
Nyaaaahaaahaaahaaa Nyaaaaaaaahaaaahaaaa. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:42 am 

DAY 1....... CONTINUATION.....

Ok people, so is the suspense getting to you guys or what. :twisted:

Once again please forgive me for the poor picture quality, light conditions was really really bad. :wall:

Ok so we are still on the S114 and i have just passed Renosterkoppies heading towards Skukuza and approximately 4km from there we had a beautiful sighting of a young elephant bull.
We switched for almost half an hour just looking at this gentle giant while it was eating. The strength of it's trunk, his gracefull stride, a dash of boastfulness and a weary stare at all of us, there was absolutely no need for me to call silence to those seeted behind me. They all watched with amazement and their brains soaked up this great sighting.
Then i asked if we could carry on because Tamboti was still a far reach from where we were, and all i heard was " just 5 more minutes please". So that is what they got.

Elle wrapping trunk around branch of the tree.

Elle breaking branch without any effort at all.

Curious minds.

The weary stare.

Man did i enjoy my drive so far. the S114 was extremely quite with no traffic at all.
Getting exactly what we prayed for :pray: .

Carried on to Skukuza for a quick pit stop. Fuel and toilet. :lol:
Got out immediately and headed up the H1-2 towards Tshokwane. On route we stoped over at Mantimahle water hole. Lots of cars everywhere :big_eyes: just had to be one of the cats.

Switched off the vehicle and rolled towards the chaos. What can it be? Lion perhaps Leopard :shock
it was a lion sighting.

Distant Lion sighting.

I really was'nt enjoying the tar to Tshokwane mainly due to the large number of traffic :wall:

So i decided to take the S36 all the way up to the S145.
Less traffic of course.
Turned left onto the S36 and the first and only car that we saw untill the Nhlanguleni picnic site flicked me and asked me if we had seen anything good (naturally Lion or Leopard). So i told him about the Lions up the road and he was very grateful, and i asked him likewise if he had seen anything on his side and all he could say was that it was extremely quite. None the less we stuck to our route and the crew was looking forward to lunch which was a good hour away.

Slam the brakes......

Wotz up Tiny! " take it easy on the brakes all the biltong flew out of the packet"
So why did you stop? was asked by one of the crew in the back.

So i had explained that the bird sound that they are listening to is a frantic call from a Natal Spurfowl and that it is moaning about something.

So i decided to switch off for a while. Noting is happening from this spot so i put the handbrake down and rolled down the slope.

BAADAA BOOM BAADAA BANG....

Just laying down for an afternoon CAT NAP....

5 minutes, turned into 10, 10 minutes turned into 30 and not a single car.
Had another cup of coffee with the Leopard.

So 4 out of 5 so far and no Buffalo.
Where are the Buffalo :hmz: mmmmmmmm

Keep watching this space for more....

Highlight of day 1 still to come. :huh:

Last edited by TINY on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:38 pm 

Hello to all.

Hi TheunsH,Thanks for the followship of this TR and Bushman Bobby does appear one more time in this TR. Wait for it. :whistle:

Hi PetraJ, I will most definately post as many trip reports as possible, time permitting that is. Thanks for the compliment about the Safari Vehicle, I have never driven and enjoyed any other vehicle before, this gives me the most satisfaction. :thumbs_up:
Please keep in mind that in order to drive a safari vehicle in Kruger you have to be a Qualified nature site guide with a PDP license and level 2 first aid certificate.

Hi Gunner, You can bet your monies worth that the crew was elated :clap: .
Yeh the alarm call was a dead give away that there was danger lurking somewhere, we had to just scout the area and find it with a bit of patience. :big_eyes:

Hi Micetta, Those Rhino were pretty close but it took us a good 5 minutes to get that close to them, every minute we would roll a bit to edge closer to them, no engine noise to startle them into a frenzy and trot away.
Just needed the Buffalo to complete the big five which was so important to the crew.

Hi Mellory, I think you hit the nail on the head, one must realise that the bush can talk to you just as long if you have the patience to listen to it. There is one more sighting very similar on day 3. Keep a look out for that one. :thumbs_up:

MY CLOSEST ENCOUNTER EVER HAPPENED ON THIS TRIP

Now i have been 100's if not a 1000 times to Kruger and never ever did i have such a close encounter with a Safari Vehicle. Just the thought of what happened sends a chill down my spine. I have had many close encounters before but nothin like the one i am going to share with you guys.

I've had 7 white rhino chase myself and Obakeng Khoma (Berg-En-Dal) on a bush walk.
I've had 2 male lions charge us on a walk on the Mjejane consession.
I've had a huge ellephant bull bang the front left bull bar of the Safari Vehicle.
I've had a close encounter with a Puff Adder on a walk with Erick from Skukuza.
And lots of other encounters, but nothing can come close to what happened to us just after the Leopard sighting on day 1.

Man this was strange, this was a first ever for me. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

I definately put the blame on human interferance. :sniper:

After we left the Leopard sighting we started to make our way to Nhlanguleni picnic area for a quick lunch. On route we stoped over at Lugmag dam and switched off for a few minutes. Man the scenery was just AWESOME. I took out my Bino's and started to scan the area for some sightings of interest. Than from the corner of my eye i seen something protrude from the tall grass and make a dash towards us. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: At first i thought it will stop quite some distance from us, but boy was i wrong :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
It just kept on coming towards us with speed, it's mind was made up and thats it.
It leaped and jumped onto the running board of the Safari Vehicle and then tried to claw it's way in from the first canvas door at the back of the vehicle.
I told the crew not to make any sudden movements to startle this already frustrated animal.

Tan and black in colour, body built for agility, Beautiful long curly tale, ears sharp and upright, long whiskers and long sharp claws :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

It wanted in and thats it. It started scratching on the canvas door very vigorously....
Was it ever going to leave us alone :pray:
We all remained silent wishing that it goes away. :pray:

Will post the pictures tomorrow. :popcorn:

Last edited by TINY on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:29 pm 

Hi all formites.

DAY 1.......CONTINUATION.....

Ok ok ok, i know that it's not fair to keep everybody on knives edge, biting finger nails, pacing up and down the passage at home so here goes :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN

This is the part when it jumped and leaped onto the running board. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Quote:
It leaped and jumped onto the running board of the Safari Vehicle and then tried to claw it's way in from the first canvas door at the back of the vehicle.

Quote:
Tan and black in colour, body built for agility, Beautiful long curly tale, ears sharp and upright, long whiskers and long sharp claws :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

This is the part when it started scratching vigorously on the canvas door. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Quote:
It wanted in and thats it. It started scratching on the canvas door very vigorously....
Was it ever going to leave us alone :pray:

The running board and the canvas door (close up). :lol: :lol:

WHAT A JUMP

Man that was a close encounter :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

I know that it is funny :lol: :lol: but the reason why i am posting about a sighting like this, is to highlight the fact that this little tree squirrel ran towards us for a mid day snack. :huh:
It was not afraid of us at all :evil:

Man this little guy refused to get off even after i started the vehicle :huh:
It definately relied on us as it's food source :evil:

To the people feeding animals in the park :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:
What senseless fools :x :x

Some pics of Lugmag Dam.

Mother and calf strolling through the water.

So i continued scanning the area at Lugmag Dam and picked up some Lions not very far from where we were parked off. We appreciated this Lion sighting 10 fold compared to the first lion sighting.
No traffic, no human noise and best of all no engine noise.

At this stage the squirrel is still on the vehicle. :huh:

Lions at Lugmag Dam.

Stayed with the squirell and Lions for approximately 15 minutes and then headed towards Nhlanguleni picnic area for our lunch break.........

PICTURESQUE LUNCH VIEW

Now i ask you if Kruger was not delivering what we had ordered??????????

No, no, no i am not talking about food :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
I am talking about Kruger living up to it's reputation when it comes to sightings.

THANK YOU :pray: THANK YOU :pray: THANK YOU :pray:

LUNCH WITH A HUGE HERD OF BUFFALO
I mean there are not many places in the world where you can have a view like that over a lunch.

Big 5 complete on day 1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

The pressure is off and the relaxing Safari begins from this point onwards.
:thumbs_up:

Highlight of day 1 on next post :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited by TINY on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:05 pm 

Hi Micetta, Managed to find a pic of myself :lol:

Now you can put a face to the story teller :thumbs_up:

Hi Anja, thanks for reading this amusing Trip Report :wink:
Indeed it was a beautiful Leopard sighting. I would have loved to spend more time with it, but Tamboti was really far away from that point. :wall:
Maybe next time. :thumbs_up:

Hi Pumbaa, sorry to disappoint you with the Squirell and not a Cheetah :lol: , hey Lugmag dam is always a great dam to visit. Love the open spaces around the dam. It makes it alot more easier to spot something. You should see it in January or February when the dam is full of water. STUNNING....... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:53 am 

Hello to all.

Hi SusieB, Yeh i'm regreting why i should'nt have just stayed for a whole month :huh:
Hi Salamanda, That will be a lunch to remember, can't get better than that.
With regards to the Squirell, Human interference as usual :evil:
Hi Bushbaby30, Great first day and indeed very lucky. :thumbs_up:
More to come :popcorn:
Hi Chip, Hope you enjoy the rest of the TR.
Hi Micetta, Me and my funny dress code on a bush walk. :lol:

Now for my highlight on day 1.

Now this next sighting blew my socks off. Being a Safari tour operator in Kruger allows me to visit Kruger more regularly than others :tongue: not trying to show off or anything :whistle:.

So this allows me to see lots of great sightings.
So we always go out there to find something really great, strange and different from other regular sightings, thus allowing us to switch off and appreciate what mother nature has thrown in front of us.

So i found the next sighting something really special and a memory that will last forever. This may not appeal to others but put yourself in my shoes and let's try and experience this together.
Just keep in mind that words and pictures are not a true reflection of the real and actual experience.

None the less here goes :huh:

After we left Nhlanguleni picnic area we proceeded along the S36 dirt road until the S145 split, took a left onto the S145 and started driving towards the S140. Roughly 5Km on the S145 we came across a pair of Common Ostrich :huh:

Common Ostrich.

"Lets switch off guys" i said. A giggle or two from the back of the vehicle.
So i started explaining the differences between a male and female Ostrich, then suddenly a rustle in the tall dry grass and "Oh my gosh" my first ever sighting of Ostrich chics...... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: 5 of them in total.

I was elated with what i was looking at. With all the excitment that i showd, the crew immediately realized the rarity of the sight unfolding in front of us.

It was a fantastic sight :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

To watch the Father, mother and chics all together at once was great.

Chics walking through the grass.

They then became very adventurous and wandered onto the road straying away from mom and dad.

A quick scolding from mom and dad made them make a u-turn and head back towards them. :lol: :lol:

This was so hillarious to watch. :lol:
This is exactly how my kids react at home when they get reprimanded.
This was amazing to watch.
Than the bickering and squabbling began amoungst the three Amigos.
Each one trying to pin the blame on the other.. :lol:
No mom it was'nt me it was him. :naughty: and vice versa.

Now where is mom i can't see her.

Wow just wrighting the thread of this sighting and all the memories are giving me goose bumps :thumbs_up:

Mor to come from Day 1 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited by TINY on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm 

Hello all.

I'm back.

Hi Micetta, Yeh Ostrich chicks look kind of strange but they are so DAMN cute.
This is my first to see Ostrich chicks up close and personel 8) 8) 8)

Hi Pumbaa, Lugmag Dam definately worth a stop over :thumbs_up:
From a little chick to the largest bird in the world :huh:

Hi Shi, What can i say about Bushman Bobby :lol: , I'm pretty sure you met someone like Bushman Bobby, or just maybe it was really him :hmz:
Hey the Squirell had lots on the edge of their seats :lol: :lol:
Ostrich chicks are just soooooooooooo cute. :P :P
Thanks to Touareg :clap: :clap: :clap:
More to come :popcorn:

Hi Jaybabe, Thanks for the compliments on the TR so far. :thumbs_up:
Quote:
BTW your humour and narration style perfect!

What Humour? :huh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Weesy, You and i have got the same taste, i actually got it saved as my desktop background on my laptop. :thumbs_up:
Would have been better with some good light :hmz: the day was extremely overcast :huh:

Hi Kamadejo, Thanks for the compliment :thumbs_up:
More stories and laughter to come :lol:

After having a sighting like that of the Ostrich and chicks one would wonder if this trip could get any better :hmz:
Well we will have to just wait and see on that one. :big_eyes:

So time is really against us to get to Orpen gate and check in for Tamboti.
Approximately 34 KM to go and 1 and a half hours left. :shock:
Time to say our goodby's to the Ostrich chicks, and strange enough a certain song came to mind and i started singing it out aloud, it was at this point that the crew declared me totally insane and crazy :huh:
Now let me explain that i am not insane or crazy :naughty: :naughty:
Ok maybe a little crazy but i'm totally sane :slap: :slap:
What on earth am i saying :wall:

Well the song was that sang by Three Degrees (When Will I See You Again).
Sing along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Precious Moment, When will i see you again? When will we share precious moments? Will i have to wait forever? Will i have to suffer and cry the whole night through.

CHORUS When will i see you again? When will we share precious moments? Will i have to wait forever?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ANYBODY KNOWS THE SONG?

Ok now you guys know that we were having lots of ffffuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn :tongue:

Carried on driving and not long after the Ostrich Sighting another great sighting, that of a lone Sable Anthelope :dance: :dance: :dance:

Please forgive the pic as this was a really distant sighting with bad light.

Yet another first for 3 of the crew. :clap: :clap:

Got to Orpen, checked in, drove to Tamboti, unpacked the Safari Vehicle......

Some pics of Tamboti and accommodation. :whistle: .

Walkway to tents.

Close up view of tents.

View inside of tents.

Hungry Lions.

Tttssssssssssss. :twisted:

THE END OF DAY 1

More to come on day 2 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 am 

Good Morning Mites.

Hi Kate, Those Ostrich Chicks were just great. The funny thing is that i don't recall coming across Ostrich chicks ever :huh: Definately my first. I do have regular sightings of ostrich but never ostrich chicks. BTW i have been following your TR and it is a great read. I'm pretty sure that you will get your otter some time or the other :pray: and that pic of the dead buff at Lower Sabie makes me hungry :lol: :lol:

Hi Shi, CHORUS When will i see you again? When will we share precious moments? Will i have to wait forever? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
I know that feeling Shi, when it's stuck in your head it's there for the entire day :big_eyes: Good luck with that :lol: The Sable Anthelope just put the cherry on top to end off the AWESOME DAY 1.
Thank heavens no snorer in the crew, but the lady from next door was definately the reigning World Snorer Champion for the year, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and i'm pretty sure 2011. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
After a long and great day dinner was to die for. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Hi Elzet, Are you gals really members of the Pink Slipper Brigade :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Hi Ollie, Thanks for the compliment and just stay tuned for more on day 2. :popcorn:

Hi Kamadejo, I think that the Sable would have been the sighting of the day if it was not for the Ostrich Chicks, Unfortunately those little buggers won hands down.
Not only did the Braai look good but it tasted even better :lol:

Hi Jaybabe, Love to add humour to a story :lol: . Yeh the Sable was a great sighting :thumbs_up:

Hi Micetta, We went on braaing for a while, the crew polished 4kilos in total that night, which is equivalent to 0.66666 grams per person. :big_eyes: These guys are scavanges of note. :huh:

DAY 2

Ok so what do we have installed for day 2........................Lotzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well we had another AWESOME sighting on day 2. It happens towards the end of the day.

We had a 3 night and 4 day trip to Kruger, and everyday there was a highlight.
Day 1 belonged to the Ostrich Chicks, day 2 will belong to the......................,
day 3 will belong to the..................., and day 4 will belong to the......................,
So a thought ran through my mind last night, 4 really, really AWESOME sightings and difficult to choose 1 at the end of the TR, i just thought that it would be great to allow members to vote for the best sighting. :rtm: :rtm:

So let's see how things go.

I woke up at 04:30 in the morning. Took an early morning stroll to the guys next door to wake them up.
When i approached their tent, dirt from the dustbin covered the pathway.

It was the work of " THE HONEY BADGER ". There was no need for me to wake them up as the excitement was taking over.

They got out of their beds got outside to smell the fresh air and one of the crew decided to pick up all the dirt from the dustbin, it was'nt long before the others followed. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Went to the bathrooms, Brushed our teeth, packed the Safari vehicle with supplies for the day, filled the flasks with boiling water, put the Biltong on the front seat of the Safari Vehicle :twisted: and cooler box packed with drinks.

All packed and ready to go.

While sitting on the timber deck i looked up at the sky and i could see some bad weather for the day and told the guys to take a blanket each just for incase.

"Tiny we are dressed warmly and besides that it is not even cold, the weather prediction for today is 28 degrees" said one of the crew.

"Stop carrying on like our mothers" Said another. Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha.

Remember thr phrase "THE ONE THAT LAUGHS LAST LAUGHS THE BEST"

We exited Tamboti and drove the H7 tar towards Satara. It was extremely quiet with just the odd sighting of Impala. As we were passing Bobbejaankrans lookout the heavens opened up with a slight drizzle.

Check it out.

See through flap down to block the wind and drizzle

Boy was i having a good laugh watching these guys freezing their butts off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Haaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaa, haaaaahaaaaahaaa.

I was in the front of the Vehicle with the heater on and dressed warmly. :whistle:

"Ttttiiiinnnyy ittttssssss cccoooooollldddd, ppplleeeeeeeeeezzzzzz sstttoppppp aattt
SSsssaatttttttaaarraaaaa ssoooooo wweeeeee ccccaaaannnn wwwaarrrmm uuupppp aaannndddd bbbuuyyyyy ssssooooooomm jjaaaacccckkkeeetttssss"
TEETH CLATTERING :hmz: :hmz:

Come on guyz it's not so bad the weatherman predicted 28 degrees for today. :whistle: Some sarcasm from me :twisted:

"Jjjuusssssttt ssshhhuuuttt uuuupppp aaannndd dddrrriiivvve ttttiiiinnyyy"

Got some Buffalo just befor Satara. Stopped and watched them for a few minutes and pressed on towards Satar about 2KM away.

First stop was the PARKS SHOP. :huh:

At R380,00 each it was worth every damn cent. :lol:
5 were bought in total. :whistle:

More to come during the day. :popcorn: :popcorn:
Highlight of day 2 still to come.

Last edited by TINY on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:43 pm 

Hello guyz and gals.

Hello Wendy, Glad that you are enjoying the TR. Read the start of your TR and after i heard some of your experiences till the point that we met, i can't wait to hear what else happened after we daparted.
:popcorn:

Hi Flutterby, Thou has finally managed to make some time to post something for thee, hope that thee likes what thou posts. :lol: :lol:

Hi Gunner, glad that you understand. 8)

DAY 2.......CONTINUATION.....

After buying all winter clothes from the Satara Shop, all of the crew put on their new jackets and were ready to brace the unusual weather. :lol:

So we left Satara and headed left onto the H1-4 towards olifants. We were to have lunch at Timbavati. A kind foreigner flicked us and told us of a single Male lion feeding on a Buffalo. As we approached this sighting i was rather shocked to notice that there was not much traffic at this sighting, only one car to be exact. It was a good sighting and completely visible with flat open spaces around him.
I later heared that this male lion claimed it as his own after the Buffalo died of ANTHREX. :big_eyes:

We than switched off and enjoyed a much needed hot cup of coffee with some Strawberry whirls biscuits. Mmmmmmmm.

Very old guy. :(

After we finished off with our coffee we drove on and saw some nice Rhino and a very large Elephant Bull in the distance with some impressive tusks.

We then turned left onto the S127 and took a slow drive towards Timbavati.
On route we saw many small and interesting things such as spoor, dung, insects and an array of different bird life.

I saw something crossing the road ahead of us. I Iimmediately switched off the vehicle and rolled closer to the sighting. I pointed out to something on the ground.

"What is that?, what's that noise?, Why so many?" were some of the questions flying from the back of the Vehicle.

I asked all of the crew to be as quiet as possible and just listen. The LOUD hissing sound was just great and complimented the sighting. :thumbs_up:
They were some Matabili Hissing Ants crossing the dirt road.

Close up of Hissing Ants.

Now these are sightings that goes unnoticed by many, so we decided to wait untill they crossed the road and inform any on coming traffic not to drive over them but rather wait untill they cross.

We spent a good 10 minutes with them until they safely crossed the road. :clap:

Drove further on and came across a Steenbokkie drenched in rain.

Some nice Impala.

Got this one chewing some grass.

Image.

A marching Blacksmith Lapwing.

Image.

Got to Timbavati picnic area and had a good lunch.

Bikers doing lunch :huh:
This just was'nt in the script

Image.

What happened next?................... :hmz:

Highlight of DAY 2 still to come. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:07 pm 

Hi All.

Hi Kamadejo, That Steenbok was just soooooooooooo cute. :thumbs_up:
I will try and complete day 2 by tonight so please don't worry about the sleepless night.

Hi Micetta, well you are about to find out what happened next. :popcorn:
The Steenbok was smilling at the camera of course. :lol:

After lunch the guys were just relaxing when some people approached and asked us if we had heared anything about the kill approximately 5.5KM pass Nsemani Dam towards Satara. apparently some Lions had brought down a Buffalo 2KM before Satara at about 08:45 in the morning.

All i could do was think of a missed out oppertunity due the the fact that if the crew took their blankets onboared the Safari Vehicle, there would have been no need to rush to Satara to buy the jackets. :huh: Please keep in mind that we had passed these very same Buffalo at approximately 08:15. :evil: :evil: :evil:

THANKS ALOT GUYS. :slap: :slap: :slap:

Well no use crying over spilled milk :rtm:. So we packed up the Safari vehicle after lunch and headed straight onto the S40 towards the lion kill just before Satara.
On route we saw a very rare dead tree called the DBOB Tree. Another first for me.

Pic of the DBOB TREE.

DBOB

DEAD BOTTLE OPENER BARK.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So we got to the H7 split and turned left. Drove for a few KM when we came across a herd of Buffalo, Possibly the same herd that we saw earlier that morning. Viewed them for a while and then carried on towards the Kill.

Guys observing the Herd of Buffalo.

When we were nearing the Kill we stopped for a baby Buffalo (Calf) wandering in circles and running up and down the animal foot path. :hmz:

Pics of the Calf

Notice the open wounds to the head of the calf.

Close up of the wounds.

Immediately it struck me that this was the Calf of the mother that the lions must have brought down and killed. So we carried on and just as we took the bend a huge Traffic Jam :big_eyes: Just had to be the Lion kill.

This was a sighting where you needed a good spot to view. People were all over one another and some bickering and moaning was taking place. :huh:

So we waited a few minutes until we had the right moment to view.
While waiting i saw a a YELLOW RIBBON hanging from somebodys car mirror. I went forward and met the Forummite who was none other than Kate Howells. :clap: :clap:
Kate had all her camera equipment with her on the passenger side while Barry was driving.

Kate had a great view and we parked next to them. The height of the Safari Vehicle was a great advantage to us. It was a sighting that was between the bushes and one needed some height for a good view. While chatting to kate i had told her about a wandering calf just up the road and that it could be that of the Buffalo which the Lions had just killed. So off Katy went to view the Calf and i got to take over from her spot. Thanks Kate and Barry. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Some pics of the Buffalo kill.

Observation of kill and highlight of day 2 still to come..... :popcorn:

Enjoy. :thumbs_up:

Last edited by TINY on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 am 

Hi all.

Hi Tiggercat, Glad that you are enjoying the TR. :thumbs_up:
I love adding humour to any Safari. :lol: :lol:
Roughly 2 and a half days to go. keep reading this TR :popcorn:

Hi Chip, Hissing ants and Army ants are one and the same, army ants are found in South America (AMAZON) and Hissing ants are found in Africa and was named after the Matabili tribe in Zimbabwe hence being named the Matabili Hissing Ants.
Look out for the highlight of day 2.......... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Shi,

Quote:
Things I am enjoying about this TR:

1. Your sense of humour
2. Your attention to the small fabulous things
3. Your FANTASTIC pic's especially of the steenbok and impala
4. Your interesting sightings and analogies
5. Your love of the bush and camaraderie of your friends

Why thank you so much for the compliment, promise not to keep you waiting for long periods. :)
I find the smaller stuff to much more interesting :clap:
DBOB :lol: :lol: :lol: it really resembles a huge bottle opener.

Hi Micetta, Glad that you understand nature and the natural way :shock:
but i must tell you that it was very sad to see the calf wandering on its own :(

Hi Sharifa and Duke, Thanks for the compliment on the Steenbok and Impala pics :thumbs_up:

Hi Gunner, Do you think that the DBOB belongs to those drinking elephants?
Rather large bottle opener. :lol: :lol:

Hi Flutterby, i had to play catch up after my two day absence :huh:
Enjoy my highlight of day 2. :popcorn:

Hi TheunsH, Theuns i just love the small stuff and this report will prove it. :thumbs_up:

So what really happened at the buffalo kill? Please understand that this is just my theory and i was not there to witness the actuall kill.

After seeing the calf with wounds around the mouth area, i think that the lions had their focus on that of the calf and not the mother. When the lions started attacking the calf, motherly instinct kicked in and the mother faught back and in that process the focus of the lions turned to the mother resulting in a bigger meal for the pride.

:huh: :huh:

Any theories from other members. :hmz:

HIGHLIGHT OF DAY 2.

So day one produced the Ostrich Chicks. :clap: :clap:

What is the highlight of day 2?

Well we made a u-turn at the lion kill and drove up the H7 towards Orpen.
The road did'nt really produce much accept for the odd Impala and Giraffe sighting. :huh:
Flicked a few on coming cars to find out if there was anything good up front and all we heard was that it was extremely quiet.
So we carried on driving waiting for something strange or exciting to happen. :big_eyes:
It was approximately 7KM from Orpen Gate when i noticed a low flying bird. At this point i did not know what type of bird it was due to distance and really, really bad light. So i switched off the viechle and rolled slowly towards the action. :hmz:
The next moment large open wings, swift swoop towards the ground and frantic calls from the Helmeted Guineafowls :big_eyes:

"I think it caught a guineafowl guys" i scram to the crew behind me.
I hurried for the camera only to realise that the bird and its prey is not visible at all.
All the action was taking place behind some bushes :( . Guineafowls scattering for safety with loud screaming, some of them flying, some of them running but definately not all had made it. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
The excitement was at a high. All of the crew were on knives edge standing and trying to get a glimpse of just anything but to no avail. The frantic sound of flapping wings banging the ground was a dead give away that something is trying to escape from the claws of this bird of prey. :big_eyes: We can all hear what was happening but just could'nt see it taking place. :shock: :shock:
Rolled a bit forward but still nothing and the excitement soon turned into frustration :evil: :evil:
This just was'nt my day.
First the jackets then the Buffalo kill and now this.
Just a glimpse of what was happening please :pray: :pray: :pray:

Then low and behold a big bird with a large wing span rose from behind the bushes and perched itself on an open dead tree with a prized meal.

A TAWNY EAGLE with the Helmeted Guineafowl.
:dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:
Man was i glad to see this.

Enjoy the pics :cam: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Please forgive the picture quality as the light conditions were really bad. :wall:

First pic shows Tawny Eagle with kill still intact.

This pic shows how the Tawny Eagle starts to seperate and pluck off the feathers from the Guineafowl.

Getting to some of the meaty parts.

Ripping off one of the guineafowls wings. (Lucky it's dead) :lol:

Boy was this Tawny Eagle hungry. (Polished it's meal in less than 20 min) :big_eyes:

Last scraps.

Mmmmmm that was good.

Very proud Tawny Eagle. What a beauty.

Highlight for day 1 (ostrich with chicks)

Highlight for day 2 (Tawny Eagle with kill)

Hang on tight. More to come :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited by TINY on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:02 pm 

DAY 2.......CONTINUATION........

After the Tawny Eagle took flight we proceeded to Tamboti and called it the day.

While i had the Labtop out downloading and sorting out the good from the bad ugly pics, the crew started with the meals and Braai :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Too many chefs spoils the meal.

Well give them the benefit of the doubt, it tasted LEKKER Mmmmmmm.

While eating it was though we were on a night drive, Elephants in the dry riverbed, Scops owl calling, Hyena at the fence, Large spotted Genet came to pay us a visit, resident Honey Badger, Lions roaring in the distance, Fiery Necked Nightjars WOW what a fantastic evening of sounds. I just love Tamboti. Definately one of my top three camps in Kruger.

Some Pics.

Hyena at the fence.

Don't mind me folks, just passing through. :popcorn: :shock: :shock:
Honey badger passing through

Man what an evening. :wink: :wink:
It was indeed very chilly that evening and those jackets once again came to the rescue. :lol: :lol:

After our meals we stacked up some fire wood ontop of the Braai and we spent the night around the fire telling stories of past kruger trips, :popcorn:

Ended the evening with a great and much needed cup of coffee. :thumbs_up:

GOOD NIGHT

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:13 pm 

Hi Mites.

Hi Jaybabe, Baby buff :(
The honey Badger just walked past us and one of the crew really got a fright when it came out of the Bush :lol: :lol:

Hi Anne-marie, An evening in Tamboti is really special :thumbs_up:
Maybe next time with the Honey Badger :pray:

Hi Wendy, Well you had some really great sightings and moments so definately on your next trip. :thumbs_up:
BTW i'm really glad that you got the pics sorted out on your TR. :wink:
Really enjoying it.

Hi Salamanda, Some people don;t realise just how important food is when in Kruger :hmz: Man it was Lekkkkkkeeeeerrrrrr. Mmmmmmmmmm. :tongue:

Hi Crested Barbet,
Quote:
Tiny, your meal looks so good that it must have been impossible for all the animals around to resist and not to participate!
:) Tiny, your meal looks so good that it must have been impossible for all the animals around to resist and not to participate! :popcorn:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Katja, Any evening in Kruger is Lekkerr special :lol:

Hi Micetta, We ate untill we could'nt even move. :huh:

DAY 3.

After a great Tamboti evening we woke up early as usual and did all the basics, Coolers, hot water in flasks, meals packed for the day, camera's charged, bathroom and we were ready to go. :dance: :dance:

Now it has come to a stage were i don't have to even talk anymore and the routine is settling in very nicely. :clap: :clap: :clap:

CHECK OUT THE BLANKETS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa, Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa :lol: :lol:

I think they learnt their lesson about the weather in Kruger and especially on a safari vehicle. No more spending money buying Jackets.

So we were going to take the H7 tar again, Just a gut feeling.
Just before the H7 split the sun was rising to our left side and took this pic.

Sillouette of Tawny Eagle on dead tree.

Carried on with the H7 towards Satara and just 1KM before Bobbejaankrans we had a nice distant sighting of a beautiful Whit Rhino.

White Rhino Bull amidst the Kruger Bushveld.

Turned left to have a quick view at the Bobbejaankrans lookout when we saw a fantastic example of a White Rhino Bull that just marked its territory.

While observing and explaing to the crew about this territorial markings A loud lions roar and another and another simultaniously :big_eyes: and it sounded extremely close so i started the vehicle and drove towards the lookout point and there they were. 18 of them in total. So we got out of the vehicle and observed the pride of lions that were on the opposite side of the river bed. Took out the flasks, mugs and some biscuits and had a cup of coffee with the lions.

WHAT AN AWESOME BREAKFAST WITH THE LIONS

What more could one ask for. Just a perfect start to the day. :dance: :dance:

The next post will be a very, very sad post :cry: :cry: :cry:

Watch ou for DAY 3's highlight :cam: :cam: :cam:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next