Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: blommietjie-a TR with a sad begin but wonderful end-Aug2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:58 am 

This trip was first in March already schedule for 20 to 26 June, but due to work that was coming up and my mother that was with me, very ill at times, we could not make it and had to shift our bookings for another date. We then schedule it for the 1st to the 9th Aug. At last when the time come for our trip, we could have start packing and put things together for our so long awaited trip. In this last week before our departure my mother land a second time in hospital in two months time. We put everything for our trip on hold and wait to see what will happen with her and sad to say she past away around 10.40am on the 31st July. A few things, like my brother that was on holiday in Greece, withhold us to arrange a funeral for the upcoming week and we decide to shift it to a later date. After much talking we decide to still undertake our trip and finish our packing to left the next morning.
With everything ready and the anxiety to begin our trip, we left home at 4.40am. With all the signboards ask you to arrive alive, we do so and stop in Malelane at about 9.45. Here we take a break for a ‘quick’ breakfast and then it was of to the Malelane gate. At the gate I take out my new camera, about a month old, to take a photo of the gate.
I switch it on but cant take the photo cause the lens stayed black. Now its of and on again, but it still stays black. At that point my SO order me to get in the bakkie cause time is up. Eventually we enter the park with me very disappointed with the camera. I have already used it at home, so what is wrong with it then. Now I start looking all around the thing and press every button to get it worked. Eventually I found the fault, and please don’t laugh at me, its terrible to be silly sometimes. I did forget to open the lens. As if i don’t now that, SO start telling me: “I told you to read the instructions carefully and …” and all I could say was ok, understand what you say but have a heart its my first modern camera ever.
On our way to Skukuza we saw 4 of the big five in a short time. First lions then rhino buffalo and elephant. We also saw a fisheagle, giraffe, impalas, kudus, zebras, and monkeys.
At Skukuza we had a quick petrol and loo stop and to meet our friends who have join us for the week. We left and on our way to Satara and did saw lots more animal. Halfway to Satara we stop at Tshokwane for lunch. After a delicious meal of pap and wors we take the road to rich Satara.
Once at Satara we get a camping site that suites our needs and try to set camp as quick as possible. And that was our first day.
Rest of TR to follow

Perhaps in July 2012

Post subject: Re: a TR wih a sad begin but wonderfull ending!
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 pm 

Thanks for your comments and kind words CC, BB, Gunner,Shi and JB and others still to do so.
BB i could promise you, and if i remember right, I have put my new signature in place the time when things was worst, just to remember that there are Someone who brings carm and strenght.
And here are the next part of my TR (photos to follw later on)

On our 2nd day we decide to take a trip on the well know S100 to Nwanetsi. We saw a hyena, hurts of impala, zebra and wild beast and a lioness a kori bustard and three ground hornbills. At the viewpoint at Nwanetsi we only saw bushbuck. I have missed the call of the green-spotted dove. People did come and go and it was good to talk to some of them and hear what they have seen. On the Gudzaniroad, on a low water bridge we saw a lot of hippos. At the Gudzanidam we saw a fisheagle, crocs and a few hippos. And then it was time to get back to the camp. On the last end of the road we saw buffalo, impala, zebra elephant, giraffe and wild beast. With much to talk about the days sightings our friend gets a campfire lighten for our first braai.
Its daybreak for our 3rd day and we deside to do a short morning trip. With rusks and coffee packed we take the road to the Nsemanidam. With not much to see we left after about an hour and decide to take the S36 and then the S126. This road was also quite with only impala, kudu and giraffe to see. On our way back to camp SO decide to take a quick drive up the S100 and that was a good choice. We saw again the hyena, a hurt of elephant and fourteen lions. All were lionesses with their cubs. Here we spend another hour. With only some sweets and biscuits to munch we didn’t even think about breakfast, to exited to see the lions. Now it is eventually of to camp for siesta time. Later in the afternoon we again drove of to the dam. For the time that we spend there four herds of elephant visited the dam. There was also waterbuck, baboon, impala, crocs, hippos, Egyptian goose and a few terrapins. Needless to say, with the sun going down is that the best time of the day and then one had to return back to camp.
Day 4 start with a nice breakfast at camp and then it was of to Letaba and back. Our sightings for this day was 5 rhinos, 10 lions, buffalo, impala, zebra, wild beast, a leguan, ground-hornbill, a secretary bird and a martial eagle. We return in time to stop at Nsaemanidam for the last sightings of the day, but here we saw only waterbuck and the hippos. Now its of to camp after another well spend day in nature.

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:52 pm 

This was our first lion sighting

This monkey help himself with a take away at Tshokwane

“And with what are you two busy with?”

These are the proof of the lions on S100

Not of the best quality, but I am still learning

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm 

It is day 5. Today we decide to stay a bit longer in camp. Some do washing, the other sleep, some try to learn the to use the new mod camera better…. :naughty: At late afternoon we go for a drive and end again up at Nsemanidam. Sorry, but we just love this dam. Not much to see here today but with a fisheagle calling every now and then, hippos and a croc, guineafowl and other birdies around it was still worth to be there. And then… (I know i sound like the kiddies in the KFC add when they say “and the-en”) :lol: someone stop and tell us there are lions at the Grivana waterhole on the S12. We quickly drove of and lucky to say we saw 9 lions still munch on their buff treat. And us you now, you sometimes see the best sightings at the last minutes when you have to get back to camp. We also saw rhino, a hyena, buffalos, shame maybe it was one of their mites that get lion food :( , zebra, giraffe, wild beast and impala. And so another day is gone. It was that night at the campfire that i could realise that the sore of my great loss was getting less, saying a prayer to thank God for setting a place like this in nature where one could get new strength and healing for the days ahead.
Day 6 starts early and we take the S14 to Olifants and Balule. Our sightings for today were giraffe, impalas, zebra, wild beast, elephant, kudu, waterbuck, warthog and also rhino and one lion. Birds like a secretary bird, saddle-billed storks and Egyptian goose.
It was cold and windy today. At the N’wamanzi lookout point we could only get quickly out the car to take a view of the river and surroundings. Had a brief look at hippo and crocs. We stop for lunch at Olifants and were surprised with the new look image. Here we also could only go for a quick view from the river point. Did saw by luck a few giraffes and waterbuck in the distance.
On day 7 we only do a small trip in the morning after breakfast to the Nsemanidam, the Grivana water hole and to Timbavati picnic spot for a tea break. Back to camp it`s siesta time and just do your own thing. So far we saw lion, rhino elephant, buffalo, impalas, zebra, a jackal and a kori bustard. In the afternoon we take our last drive for the day on the way to Tshokwane. Today we were really exited to see a cheetah or leopard. Oooohhh! And then we saw one huge traffic jam in front of us, and the-en saw a leopard :dance: If it wasn’t that it took a walk to a next tree, then we wont see it. This sighting was making our day complete.
By now one could feel in your body, mind and soul, something is happening within you. Something that let one forget about the grief and pain of the every day’s stress, when you could sit, staring at the campfire and the stars above and just enjoy the stillness of the bush.
End to follow…and pics? I don’t thinks so, unless… :hmz: :hmz:

A great thanks again for all the condolences and kind words. It is people like you, that make it worth to be on the forum. I`ll say a :pray: for everyone of you.

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:01 am 

It is day eight and we cant believe its nearly the end of our trip :( Our breakfast stop for today will be at Muzandzeni picnic spot. On our way up there we saw another leopard. Lucky this morning without any traffic jam, :) but with just its head showing from where it was sitting, very difficult to see. We saw kudu, waterbuck, impala and giraffe so far up to the picnic spot. The picnic spot were very busy and we had to wait a while for a table. But it was the wait worth. A very finger leaking good breakfast was coming up, done by my SO :roll: :D Believe me he will never do this at home. Coffee and rusks is much easer.
Now it`s back to camp for our last siesta for this trip. But this getting back to camp took very long. At the Rockvale water hole we find a lot of zebra, impala and wild beast, a giraffe and a warthog family, and hippos. Not far from that point we saw a big herd buffalo, scatter over a big area. This site keeps us busy for almost an hour, cause you don’t see this every day. Further on the way we saw baboon, duiker and steenbok. And then we end up at Nsemanidam. Here we get another big herd of buffalo. We also saw elephant, baboon, hippo, croc, a fish-eagle, Egyptian goose and a leguan. Four of the hippos were out of the water and a young hippo chase the leguan around until it, the legaun, get his way back into the water. And the-en its back to camp. By now the talks of packing up starts. :( Come on guys, the whole night is in front of you, what is up with you. :? I still want to enjoy my trip so please keep quite. And so our last night at Satara comes, but with an experience no one wish to have in the middle of the night.
At 3.15 it was my turn to do the walk, and you all know to where that time of night. On my way to the ablution block, a man and his daughter call me. With them were a young lady, and sad to say, with down syndrome (sorry if this is not the correct name). She was camping with her parents, but sleeps in her own tiny tent as she did explain and get lost on her way to the ablution block. At that stage they had already searching the camp area, but could not found the 3 tiny tents. One for papa, one for mama, and one for the little one. Asking her if she perhaps had the cell number of one of her parents with her, she told us she left it in her tent. She repeats over and over that her mother said she must not disturbed her when she sleeps. :naughty: In the meantime the man and his daughter left for their tent. To shorten the story, i end up with her and had to sit for nearly two hours, at the ablution block, wait and see if somebody will come and look for her. :( It was August and still cold that time of the morning. At last a lady visit the toilet and after i had ask her if she perhaps know about three tiny tents, she takes the young lady and told me she thinks she did see the tents and will go look for it. By now it was time to get up and get ready to left for Skukuza, so no sleep for me anymore.
On the way we saw everything that we have seen in the days before. Our friends saw two lionesses somewhere that we had missed and we have seen a couple of sables that they had missed. Just show you, you see or you don’t see. And this was our trip up to now.

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 am 

The eldest son of our friends stays in the staff village at Skukuza and we had sleep over at his house. We left early on Tuesday morning to the Phabeni gate. Still in the staff village, we saw warthog, impala and a hyena. Again we did not see something other than the other days. No lions, and that’s sad for the last day :( . Somewhere on the road was a dry riverbed with a small bridge over. Here we find another traffic jam, with no space left for any car to pass we have to wait and wait cause nobody in front wants to move :naughty: Eventually one guy was moving. Asking him what they looking at, he said a guy in one of the cars in front think he had saw two cheetahs :roll:
The bad part of the last end of this road was all the fire and smoke :( :( We were actually very lucky to still saw kudu, rhino and impala. And the-en this were the end of a wonderful trip.
Now it was as quick as possible back to Pretoria, as we had an appointment with the guys at the mortuary to settle the plans for the funeral of our beloved mother.
With no guild feelings in my heart, i can say I am glad that we did decide to do this trip :D
I believe with my whole heart that nature was set in place for not only to enjoy but to brought healing and strength to a weary soul.

Thanks again for everyone that was reading my trip report and all the welcome comments.
Sorry guys. I have to let the photos for this trip stands over. :( :redface:
Leaving Sunday 24 Oct for our next trip :D and still so much to do.

Perhaps in July 2012

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]