Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hippotragus-Better late than never KNP August 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After a relatively easy trip, we arrived at Orpen gate - wonderful to be "home" again!

I am doing this TR from scribbled notes in a scruffy notebook - my memory is not too reliable!!

On the way to Satara we saw buffalo, elephant, impala, giraffe, kudu, warthog, zebra and wildebeest. We had a rondavel in G semi-circle on the perimeter, which was lovely.

Next morning we set off to Girivana Dam. There were a few elephant on the S12. Then a huge herd of buffalo drinking and wallowing in the dam. Some had a kind of mange and some were limping - Bovine TB??

Later we went back to the dam and the buffalo were there again. A young elephant was mock charging some of them - he didn't realise he was very out-numbered! A crocodile in the dam was eating something - we later heard that it had taken a young buffalo in the morning. On our way back to camp we saw a breeding herd of elephant at Nsemani Dam. There was another herd of buffalo near camp.

Nice to meet Cody and family on one of our trips to Girivana Dam. Not many yellow ribbons around, but we spotted each other!!

Next morning we set off on the S100 (not a lucky road for us in the past) and only saw an elephant, some waterbuck and an African Crowned Eagle. On our way back on the H5 we saw two lionesses. We then went along the Sweni road (S126) and came upon 7 lion very near the road - 2 females, 2 males and 3 cubs. At Muzandzeni picnic site there was a scops owl in one of the trees. That evening we went on a Sunset Drive - male lions on the main road, elephant and buffalo. Later we thought one of our neighbours had fallen over his dustbin - on investigating we found a honey badger had upturned a dustbin and was having great fun licking out the plastic bag that had contained our spare ribs - lovely sticky sauce!!

Satara doesn't disappoint.

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Re: Better late than never - TR for KNP 14-23 August 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Next instalment.

On the 17th we packed up early to set of on a drive which would eventually take us to Tamboti Camp - our next stop.

Just north of Satara on the H1-4 we saw a speed cop - well done, wish there more in KNP.

Then, at Witpens water hole we saw some cars - all well parked in single file on the correct side of the road (i.e. side of sighting). There was a pride of around 20 lions - males, females, "teenagers", cubs - everything.

We then went up the S90. We saw a hyena near the Gudzani water hole. Then, further along, we saw a group of 13 white rhino in the distance (I have later discovered a large group of rhino is called a crash - I think there would be one if they ran into you!).

We carried on up to Olifants camp and then came back down the S39. Before Timbavati picnic spot we saw 4 lionesses and a male lion. There were 38 hippo on the sand bank in the Piet Grobler Dam.

Arrived at Tamboti, after checking in at Orpen. What a lovely camp - I can see why people want to keep it a secret!!

Next day we went down the S140 and saw white rhino, kudu, giraffe, elephants and buffalo.

Following day we saw a lioness and male lion on the S12 before Girivana Dam. There were speed cops on the H7 near Satara camp - well done!!
That night was very windy and we hardly slept as the tent kept flapping and making funny noises!

Next day we set off for our next camp - Berg en Dal. We headed down the S36 and the highlight was a small group of sable antelope in the bushes near the turn off to Hamiltons Camp. We then took the S125 and headed south on the H1-3.

We popped in to see Silolweni Dam, as we had heard it had been drained because of the blue-green algae. It was nice to see a notice there, which explained what had happened, so the tourists could understand.

Not much else on the way, except a rhino and calf and a hyena with two pups (haven't noted where!!)

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Re: Better late than never - TR for KNP 14-23 August 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That's just about it. We spent 3 nights at Berg en Dal but didn't do much driving, as I was on a course there.

We hadn't been to Berg en Dal for over 20 years and had forgotten what a lovely camp it is. It is different to most of the other camps - a lot of the accommodation is not on the perimeter. However, there are lots of trees and shrubs and the bird life is amazing.

On the Sunday afternoon, after the course had finished, we went for a short drive. On our way back to camp on the Matjuli Loop we came across a lot of cars. People were hanging out of windows, roofs etc. A game viewing vehicle from Berg en Dal approached and the poor guide was telling people to get back into their cars. They were ignoring him and he then started issuing fines - good for him. I think his name was Obbie (I asked one of the chaps back at camp who he was). We never saw what they were all looking at and just drove back to camp.

We don't have any photos. I do the driving and spotting and my husband prefers to look at things, rather than try and take photos. I sometimes do wish he would get his (expensive) camera out and take a few snaps, for posterity! I have even suggested that he go on a photography course and get some ideas.

All for now, looking forward to Balule in November.

KTP May 2015

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]