Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bushbaby30 Forgetful and Forgetfuller go camping Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
Originally it should have been a 4 day trip but true to Forgetful’s impulsive nature and Forgetfuller’s inherited impulsive nature we made it into a 5 day trip. So instead of the 29th of September we left on the 29th. :dance: :dance:
So there we were with our tent, sleeping bags, pillows, stretchers, chairs, cooler box, ground cover, food crate, camping gadget crate and as an extra luxury the gazebo, 2 suitcases, camera gear and reference books packed into the car :big_eyes: (and I could still see out of the back window of my little Modus!) :huh: We were off on a mom and daughter bonding trip.
One thing we agreed on is that we were leaving very early and definitely not taking the scenic route!! :naughty:
Seeing that we were sleeping outside the park the first night and it being in school holidays we made sure to get our day visitors’ permit beforehand to be sure that we did not get shown away from the gate. :thumbs_up:
Not far from home we realised the we forgot the Tupperware with the ”padkos” (road food just doesn’t work) in the fridge. :wall: :wall: Ah well, lucky dad! :lol: Thank goodness we did not forget the Marie biscuits and Melrose cheese wdges! :dance:
After fighting our way through mist and a light drizzle we came around the corner to see Phabeni gate waiting for us… No photo’s yet as it was dark and dreary until we reached the gate.

Post subject: Re: Forgetful and Forgetfuller go camping
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you CC, Shi, Elzet, Katja, JJ, MM and LB for coming onboard... Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

We quickly checked in at the gate… Got the birding books and camera ready. It was the first time to use my new camera so my trusty old companion (no not Bushmom :tongue: ) was very close by.
Unfortunately I only found out while we were packing that my binoculars formed part of our “affirmative shopping” a few weeks ago :evil: :evil: So we just hoped that we’d see everything up close. :pray:
Going through the gate the feeling of tranquillity started seeping through the windows… AAAAHHHH! We were homeagain!
Still afraid that the camera had a self destruct button somewhere (and knowing me if there was I was sure to press it :redface: ) the first few sightings was only engraved in our memories. Getting over my fear of blowing up the car, the camera started clicking hesitantly when we saw this warthog

I think there is something that actually exceeds the number of impala in the park… :shock: Every second tree had one of these huge spider nests in! If they have just 50 little baby spiders crawling out of each of them pretty soon there will be a gazillion little Community nest spiders running around. Scary thought… :big_eyes: That alone is enough reason to make me not want to “alight from my vehicle” in the park! :lol:

We decided to pop in at Lake panic (I will leave BM to tell you her impressions of it) It was a bit crowded but at least I could find a space to take some photos. Here are some of them.

Thank goodness they don’t have toilets there otherwise I would stay there forever! :tongue: So on we went to Skukuza.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lake Panic, a mystical place I have always heard about, seen photos of and never, in all my visits to Kruger, been to. BB30 promised beforehand to introduce me to it! My SO only knows the straight road and stops for a maximum of 5 minutes at a sighting.
I am conditioned to look my look and get on with it!
We stopped at Lake Panic, walked through the long "tunnel" and I felt a bit panicky: what was waiting for me at tha other end??
The hide was packed, so much so that BB30 was crouching to take photos and I stood looking, but it was magical! Man-made sounds were minimal, except for the clicking of cameras. I could not stop looking: every way I turned something else caught my eye.
Regulars were complaining that it was too full, but I did not care. I was hooked for life :dance: I even loved the great bubbles exploding from underneath! :shock:
Lake panic will definitely see me again :clap:

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It seems as if BB30 is the "forgetfuller" part of the Bush family! We actually left early the morning of the 28th........! Thanks for highlighting our character fault.

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just found a picture that I forgot to post... :tongue:
When we entered Phabeni gate we received a brown paper bag to put our rubbish in. I'll leave it up to you to calculate how much one can put in there! :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

From Skukuza we made our way to Lower Sabie…
First we encountered a herd of elephant just where I like them… far away from my car! :redface: Doing our usual trip over the bridge and back we saw some cars parked looking at some more elephant but true to BB30 style we stopped to watch this little family.

These vervet monkeys were performing like real clowns.

In the river bed was a dagga boy just relaxing and enjoying the cool weather for a change and this Fish eagle enjoying lunch.

When we came around the next bend I had a feeling of being back in Jo’burg peak hour traffic… It was some “hi and bye” lions. It takes you 10 minutes to get to see them and then you just say hi and bye... No time for coffee or tea! :lol: Having to fight my way through 20 cars for about 15 minutes we carried on.
At Sunset dam there was a “stork tea” on the go… Bushmom got all excited seeing all the Yellow-billed storks but I had news for her... That was not where grandchildren came from! :lol: :lol:

On the bridge at Lower Sabie these crocs were catching some non existent rays

Then it was time make our way to Crocodile bridge gate but not before sighting that was a first for me (and I might be wrong but I think for BM too) BTW mom it was not the Fork tailed Drongo :tongue:

Last edited by saraf on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remove broken links

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB30! Have you forgotten all the stories I have told you about storks!!!!! Didn't you remember to post even one photo of the many forktailed drongo's we saw?
Up to this stage our sightings were rather mundane, but delightful nevertheless. We did however see a remarkable amount of bushbuck. It is and will always be worthwhile to be able to start your visit a day early!
Fee, this was a special just for the two of us. We will do the family thing again at Easter. I don't know exactly what camera she bought. She has told me a thousand times, but I manage to forget the specifications every time. I only know she is not going to eat in a hurry again!
Flutterby, I still have a big white Total carrier bag with coloured pictures (a giraffe if I'm not mistaken) somewhere, but I cannot find it!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There in the road laid a Mozambique spitting cobra… :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Probably looking for some heat on the tar. A bakkie came by and he clearly did not like it (see the first photo), so I stayed where I was till he decided to go back to the safety of the grass. I am not a fan of snakes to put it extremely mildly so the zoom on my camera came in handy!

We then found this big fellow drinking at a watering hole… :dance:

Now we were standing on 4 out of 5 for the day and BM said that what we need now is for a leopard to walk across the road. Her words weren’t even cold when we saw a vehicle that was parked next to the road. :hmz: Low and behold they were looking at a leopard walking in the bush! :dance: The bush was quite dense so I only got this photo before another (much bigger) car than mine stopped right in front of us and totally blocked my view. I lost sight of the leopard and the rude guy that blocked my view didn’t get to see it at all! :twisted: :evil:

Woo-hoo! 5 out of 5 and some extra… :dance: :clap: :dance:

And the first of many Kudu

Another Rhino later I stopped at this mongoose. BM and I couldn’t agree on a plural for a mongoose we settled on a mongoose and another one… :tongue:

Just before we reached the gate we saw some Ground hornbill and a lovely Burchell’s coucal which is one of BM’s favourites. :lol:

On the way to Hectorspruit we had a lovely view of the sun setting…

That was a special end to a fantastic day. :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had a lovely evening with our friends and I told BM she had better enjoy the “Last supper” they prepared because I’m going to do the cooking… :big_eyes: This probably had her a bit worried eventhough she didn’t show it. :lol: Having been awake for 22hours straight I welcomed my bed!!! :dance:

The next morning we left early and entered at Crocodile bridge. Our first sighting was quite a busy one… 2 Saddle billed stork, impala, warthog, Kudu, zebra at one watering hole! :clap:

We decided to take the S28 towards Lower Sabie. These Francolins cought my eye.

Then we had a “zebra crossing” :tongue:

And I actually got a squirrel to sit still for a photo! :dance:

Next was a Black backed jackal that was on a serious mission… :shock:

I think these vultures already had was he was looking for :wall:

The contrast between the colours had me fascinated I think it was the lack of sleep cathing up with me

Then another BBJ showed us the way To the Fork tailed Drongo's mom:tongue:

At the Ntandanyati hide these wildebeest were desperate to have a drink

There is nothing than a swarm of quellas flying up without warning to scare you back tp reality! :big_eyes:

The discussion in the car was as follows: Mom what do you feel like for supper? If you want me to braai we have to get charcoal. … To which BM replied: We can get it now when we stop at Lower sabie. Knowing us by now I’m sure it is crystal clear how that shopping trip went! :whistle: :hmz: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We stopped off at Lower Sabie and quickly went into the shop…We bought some water and fruit juice ice lollies mmmm not quite charcoal and firelighters :whistle:
These birdies had a ball outside

Back at the car this fellow sat next to the car

Next stop was Sunset dam with some of the usual and not so usual visitors

The trek downwards to Malelane began… First up was this Martial eagle

While driving a car passed us and flagged us down. Our first YR of the trip… :dance: It was Dupacc and his family. We spent a few minutes chatting before we carried on. It was lovely meeting you and I hope the rest of your trip was filled with lovely sightings!! :lol:

All the animals on the H5 were having an afternoon nap. :doh: :wall: That was until we came around a bend and I slammed on brakes… :shock: :shock: There in the tree sat a Giant Eagle Owl! We sat watching him for a while. 4 Cars drove passed of which 1 stopped briefly to take a photo... :huh: Guess you have to have some kind of nocturnal animal genes to apreciate another :wink:

On this photo he looked like I felt when I thought that I still had to go setup camp :tongue:

On our arrival at Malelane we went to look for a space to setup camp… It was quite a task to get a space where there is a little room around you in a full camp. Just enough room so that you don’t hear your neighbours snore or the other way around! :lol: :lol:

Our welcoming comitee...

I setup the tent (with some help from BM) , gazebo, stretchers etc and then it was time to think about supper… That’s when I remembered about the charcoal or the lack of charcoal! :wall: We could always have cooked it in the kitchen but having snacked the whole day and actually being to tired to be hungry never thought I’d actually say something like that! :big_eyes: We settled on biltong, Idahoan smash (thanks to Ekojunkie's post about it we are hooked) and tinned mealies… It was actually very tasty! After supper I wanted to go and wash the dishes.Yes, miracles still do happen! :lol: Mom where is the sunlight liquid? To which she replied it’s in the bag with the doom… And that is where? :huh: :oops:

Here is a photo of our campsite to prove to dad that we did not end up sleeping in the car… :tongue: As you can see from the bag of charcoal it was taken the next day! :redface: The light was to low so he had to wait till the next afternoon for his proof.

The stretcher and sleeping bag were not even calling me they were shouting so loud I just had to go to bed before the neighbours started complaining! :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shi wrote:
You make camping look ok :lol: :lol: So no charcoal, no dishwashing liquid and no doom :D at least all things easily obtained at the parks shops...when you remember

Bushbaby30 forgot to mention another essential: an electrical lead to go to the power box! At least she (or rather we) did not just forget this: it was one of the things recently removed in the "shopping expedition" in our garage. We forgot to buy a new one when we replaced the tent and the camping chairs. Luckily we had some battery powered lights!
The charcoal and firelighters? We got so carried away being back in a KNP shop that we totally forgot essentials!
I was sure I packed the dishwashing liquid and doom but they were nowwhere to be found! At least we has very few dishes! Biltong and mash for supper is delicious! We had packed a variety of other mozzie (and other insect) repellants.

Micetta wrote:
Nice spot that you have put up there :thumbs_up: Now how can we be sure that you did not sleep in the car as the pic is from the next day

I promise you, even if I had to set up camp alone, there was no way I was going to sleep in that little car! My first night's sleep on the stretcher was actually quite comfortable! At least we remembered our blankets! :lol:

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I got the 5am wake-up call from BM…I was pleasantly surprised that I was the same height from the floor as last night (which was mostly not the case on the inflatable mattress! ) :tongue: We were greeted by a lovely sunrise.

We got everything done in a jiffy and we were off …This ele was right next to the road busy eating. Lucky for us he went into the bush rather than towards us. :shock:

BM wanted to go and have look at the Gardenia hide. So we took the S118. There were a few kudu and impala but very quiet otherwise. We did however see some more “spider trees” :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Just before we got the S114 turn off we saw about 3 cars looking at something we turned off (and for now Gardenia was forgotten) Waiting there for us were 3 male lion lying underneath a tree. We looked at them for a bit and saw another yellow and red ribbon. I immediately recognised the mite as Mads. :thumbs_up: We pulled in next to her and chatted waiting for the lazy lions to move. This impala had a bit of a death wish having a stand off with them :huh:

After about a half an hour the one decided that he had enough of the limelight so he walked across the road behind my car and in to the bush.

Not much later this one (with a blind eye) joined him.

A little more chatting later the third one decided to put up a show for us. He later even roared lying on his side!

Mads told us about the lovely sightings she has had so far this morning. Including wild dog and lots of vultures at a rhino carcass and white faced owls… Mads still had a way to go and we wanted to have a look at the carcass and vultures so we said goodbye and drove off. Thanks Mads for a lovely chat and knowing some of the sightings that you saw later, I know you had a lovely and extremely lucky time!! :dance:

We took the H2-2 turn off and eventually came to the carcass. There were 4 types of vultures that we could see… According to a field guide the next day he died in the fire. It was interesting and sad at the same time. :cry:

We were meeting up with Hippofan and her SO at Afsaal @ 1 so we still had about an hour to drive around…

Last edited by Bushbaby30 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We still had an hour so off we went again.
These ele’s had a drink at the Biyamiti bridge.

This little baby ele was drinking from his mom… :lol:

Another ele

On the way to Afsaal the Sanparks helicopter was checking out the area

We arrived at Afsaal and I went to look for the Scopsowl and eventually found it...

Hippofan and SO arrived as well and we had another mini-meet… It was lovely to meet them and hear about their trip so far! I really can’t wait for the TR… :dance: :dance:

We had to leave to get to Malelane while the shops were still open to get a lead but on the way back we could always find time for these lovely rhino :dance: :dance:

Apparently the leads that you can buy in Malelane has pieces of gold woven into them!!! :hmz: After two shops I eventually went to the building supplies store and got the essentials to make my own for half of the shop price but still double than back home. :wall: This time we remembered the charcoal and everything else on the “forgotten list”… :redface:
Back at camp I assembled the lead and hoped I didn’t manage to blow up the whole camp in the process. :pray: :pray: When I plugged it in (I actually remembered my blue plug… and had a spare!) I ducked for cover just in case. :doh: Apparently my electrician skills were less scary than I thought 8) But it’s MUCH easier and safer for me (and everybody around me) to buy it in the future.
I didn’t feel like going on an afternoon drive so we just had a walk around in camp instead.
[Image

When I started getting everything ready for supper I found the bag with doom and dishwashing liquid. Now I am forgetfuller, deaf and blind!!! :doh: :redface: :doh: :redface: :doh:

The goggo’s didn’t stand a chance… :whistle: :naughty:

Last edited by Bushbaby30 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our meeting with Hippo-fan and her SO was preplanned before they left for SA and we really enjoyed putting faces to names. Perhaps we should all have more get-togethers like that!
Next time I have to go shopping in Malelane I will definitely rather go to Spar than Pick'nPay! It is a much pleasanter shop!
Back at Malelane camp, I watched BB30's lead-procuring efforts intently, but I had full confidence in her abilities! Wouldn't have tried making it myself, however!
Afterwards I started of on a walk on my own and had one of those heart-stopping moments you can only have in the bush. I was ambling down to the bench overlooking
the river, when a snort sounded right next to me: just the fence separated me from a startled bushbuck ram. It was hard to say who got the biggest fright, but he ran away :hmz:
BB then joined me and we had a pleasant late afternoon stroll enjoying all the small things at close quarters (including spiderwebs), before starting our evening meal preparations!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here we go... Proof that BM slept on the stretcher! :tongue:
Mom... I would have thought after all the years that you have known me you would know better than to fall asleep before me!! :twisted: :twisted: Hope I'm still invited to Sunday lunch :whistle: :whistle:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next