Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mads going home... Sept 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Everybody!

I was in Kruger on 23 and 26 September 2010 for the day.... But wait there is more!!! :dance: I stayed in Lower Sabie from 30th September to 3 October 2010. I had wonderful sightings!! :whistle: :whistle:

Keep the :popcorn: ready!!

Post subject: Re: Mads going home...
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the confidence!! Flutterby :wink: Maybe... :doh: maybe not? Although I also saw quite a few yellow ribbons... :dance:

23 September:

We decided to attend the Innibos festival in Nelspruit… but how can I be so close to KNP and not visit the park… :huh: We entered at Phabeni gate at 06:00. It is already busy, even though it is before the long weekend… It was overcast until about 10:00

I heard that the area around Phabeni gate has been burnt… So I decided to take the S3 River road… Our birding sighting were a delight on this road, and the biggies did not disappoint either. As we entered, the first animal we saw was a buffalo.. Sorry too many cars and so did not take a pic…

The first raptor sighting really excited me… I know the pic is actually useless… but still decided to post it!! It was 4 white faced owls!!! See if you can spot the fourth one...

After that we had a lot of ellies buff, kudu, and implala sightings… Also fish eagle sightings, fish eagle calling, We decided to continue with the S3. 4 cars were behind us and stood at the T junction with the S4. 50m after the T junction, we were watching a puffback displaying…When my eye suddenly caught a movement in the road… A leopard… she did not wait for us, but all I could get on camera was her behind and tail…

At Lake Panic we watched the hippo, crocs, jacana, and this blue heron family…

Just after lower Sabie in the riverbed we saw 8 lions.. they were on the island in the middle… So not close, but a good sighting.

We found this little common Duiker as well.

We went over the high water bridge and then turned back towards Skukuza.

At Mantlemahle dam we saw a Sable bull and 2 zebras with 60+ waterbuck, giraffe, impala, etc (sorry no pic, the Sable was tooo far…) Then Baboons and Ground Hornbill..

At Delaporte waterhole we saw a family of warthog and this oxpecker hitch a ride on one of them.

At Napi Boulders we completed the big 5.

At transport dam we found another family of ground hornbills, and not far from there a pale chanting goshawk.

At Shitlhave dam we found a small bus and everybody +-10 asian people outside their bus taken photographs with this bathing ellies!! :rtm: I told them to get back into their bus… :sniper: They did not think I was cute… but eventually did, and left us with the swimming, drinking and playing ellies.

We could see alot of smoke by Ship Mountain, there was a huge fire burning.

This was the end of our day… We exited by Numbi Gate, But I knew , we will be back in 3 days for another day at home.

Last edited by Mads on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:41 pm 

Now, that was worth waiting for. Great sightings, Mads, and good pictures. A fab first day.

Don't keep us in suspense... Spill the beans... What did you see at LS?

(Don't make me run out of)
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Mike

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

26 September

We arrived ar Numbi Gate at 6:00 and the first 10 cars was already in… we had to wait… Apparently was Sunday not to bad… Friday and Saturday were worse! We eventually left the gate at 6:45

The fire we saw on Thursday was still burning.. and reached the area next to Pretoriuskop… and the game was gone!! Even very little birds… I think we saw 3 Ellies for the whole day.

I could not believe it on S114 we found another 2 White faced owls!!

On the S21 we found 2 Giant eagle owls.

Rhinos and ground horn bill we also saw again!

On the way to Lower Sabie we saw this 8 lions… We would see them later again...

Just after Skukuza we decided to take the H1-1 then take the S4 and then the S3…

On the S3 we found them in the road… Soon there was a traffic jam of note… :rtm: but I still managed to get a couple of pics of them!

We left Phabeni gate with 4 of the big 5 … and we swapped leopard for cheetah…
:huh: And that concludes the days we went to Innibos festival… Next up my stay at Lower Sabie… :big_eyes: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
Wow! What awesome sightings you've had so far!! Can't wait for som more pics. I'm still jeleous of your owl sightings... Atleast I saw two on my trip (but the Afsaal Scops doesn't really count)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

he he :D Micetta and lowveldboy... :hmz: ...

Sometimes you need money so you can go again... :huh: :wink:

Thursday 30 September

These days I will have to write in sections… too much that happened…

I left Pretoria around 01:00 that morning… I arrived at Malalane gate at 5:15. I had coffee.. and eventually the gates opened. I took the tar road (H3) north towards Skukuza. On the way I found these 2 hyena pups playing hide and seek in a termite mount.

Just before Afsaal I took the H2-2. while standing in the queue I overheard an conversation about a dead rhino on this road.. The area was totally burnt… and then I saw 2 hyenas leaving the “party” and then all the vultures… but why are they still sitting in the trees and on the ground… not close to the carcass??? I could see nearly all the types of vultures that occur in KNP.

Then the answer came… 1 hyena was at the carcass and … 5 wilddog was in the vicinity of the carcass….!!!

They ran in circles and I watched them for a long time!! This is also where I saw my first YR. HarryS was also there… a Wild dog meet!!! :dance:

Eventually I went back to the carcass and watched the vultures for a long time… There was 1 that was tagged… but I could not see any number…

Just see how full this vulture’s crop is…

I left them and continued to the S114...

[b]To be continued….[/b]

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you HarryS; Micetta; Luren; Flutterby; Bushbaby30; Pumbaa; Sky and AKadwa for your comments. I appreciate it.

Luren the Rhino died in the fire.. It is standard practise for the park to remove the horns.

Bushbaby30: I wonder :doh: what my next sightings will be...

Pumbaa - I love wilddogs .. but are not very lucky with sightings... THis time it changed... and YRs are always a bonus.

AKadwa - I must say.. normally I am very lucky :hmz: - okay a lot of that fairy dust... This trip was not different.

I turned on the H114 and found this at the waterhole… 3 males crossed the road in front of me. I moved back and waited for them to come closer…. And who do I find?? Bushbaby30 and bushmom!! …. A lion meet!! It was veryu nice seeing you again!! While chatting one of the males decided to come show off…

2 males went back over the road. The one had a blind eye.

And while still chatting the “show off” male decided to roar for us while lying on his side!!

The impalas wanted to come and drink water… but did not like these beasts around… Eventually I left them…

Now it was already hot and decided to get to Lower Sabie as quick as possible. I past by Gardenia hide and then took the S25 and then tar road to Lower Sabie. Other pics I took:

Especially for Vlakvarkvrou…

Game was in abundance!! Lots of Buff, ellies, white rhino, fish eagles calling, and all general game...

Late afternoon Martie and Isat on the deck at the restaurant having something cold… after a hot day… And what do we see?? :slap: (Of course I have NO camera or binocs with me??) :rtm: A black rhino across the river :big_eyes: , ellies crossing the river, an hyena, hippo, crocs; about 30 yellow billed storks and a bushbuck. ….. That will teach me a lesson!!! :huh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi to all!!

Thank you for comments!! :clap:

I could kick myself!! that I didnot have a camera with me for that black rhino!! :slap:

1 October

The next day we I did not see much in the line of cats… Millions of ellies, nyala, .. but above all it was a birding day. I drove Mlondozi and found this “tusker” on it. Then I took the Salitje road and tar road back

. I woke up that morning with a bad headache… Half way through Salitje I knew it was now a migraine…. I took pils and could not continue… So I went to lie under a tree and slept for an hour…

When I got back at camp (in that 42° C) I slept for 4 hours and felt a bit better.

Special Birdies that I saw were Temnick’s Courser and Common Quail.

. My cousin arrived that afternoon and we did the same road as I did in the morning… We did not see much more….

Some of the trees flowering now….

Combtretum microphyllum seeds and flowers.

Knob thorn

Apple leave

Sjambok pod

Sausage tree.

Weeping Boer bean

One of the other Combretums (Rooibos?? Or ????)But the antelope especially kudu loves it.

Just before the bridge I found this other “tusker”

I need to leave for Durban tomorrow until Tuesday… but I need to give you a taste of my next… Keep watching….

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all! :mrgreen:

Flutterby as far as I know neither of them had names..

I cant decide which sighting on this trip is my favoutire... :hmz: ... but this one sure ly is one of them! :tongue:

Sorry!! My post was erased... :wall: and no time has run out... :wall: you will have to wait untill I am back... :doh:

A teaser......

See you tuesday!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Saturday 2 October

We drove that morning the same route we saw “nothing” :huh: on the day before… Eloff and then Salitje.. We also had a sunset drive with Martie that evening…

I was told that the sunset drive saw a leopard with its kill in a tree on Eloff… That is that road, that we saw “nothing” on??

So we went to the tree… but only saw the kill… no sign of the leopard… We had coffee there… but no sign… We decided to move on…

About a kilometer from that tree.. We found these lions in the road... They were moving towards “that tree”. So we decided to move back to that tree… The pride are 8 lions, 3 males, 4 females and 1 oldish cub.

The first male lion could smell the meat… but climbed the wrong tree! He looked soooo clumsy!!!

The other male climbed the right tree…. At one stage you could see he thinks it is maybe a bit high… but continued!! He found the kill and came down… the male in the wrong tree practically fell out of the tree… He was not going to miss out on this “present” :big_eyes:

Unfortunately they ate behind a bush, but the sounds were amazing!! WOW!!! What a sighting!! How much luckier can we get today?? :hmz:

By the way Martie calls the one male lion Mash.. It is also this pride that was in camp a few months ago and therfor the female has a collar. They started moving on…

We moved on and found 2 lions mating on the Nwathimiri gravel road… But they were lying in thick bush and a huge traffic jam! We also found a YR at these lions… but I cannot remember who…

Then on Salitje road we found more lion.. but sleeping deeeeeep in the bush. So no pics.

We were told there are more lions further on, but never found them… We went to drink coffee under a tree… in that heat!! … but it paid off!! We found 28 of these magnificent creatures crossing the road in front of us…

Further on we found another YR! This time it was Flutterby! She told us of Cheetahs further on … We also saw our first Klipspringer and this young brown Snake Eagle!!

Then we found the 4 cheetahs!! It was hot!! So they were sleeping…

Moving on to Mlondozi, we also found Will and Harry as Martie calls them!!

Who said that you see nothing in the heat of the day?? We went back to camp to get ready for the sunset drive! WOW!! What a day!! …..And then the sunset drive!!

Here is Martie’s description of the sunset drive….
Quote:
Then Saturday’s sunset drive was more how I know Lower Sabie’s sunset drives. Left camp went over the bridge just to get a fine picture of Lower Sabie with the sparkly warm summer sun over the camp and the sheen on the water. At the river a big elephant bull…the same one that have been for the last week, he stands in the water and eat the bushes on the edge of the river. As we turned around to head back to Ellof as we call it two big kudu bulls crossed. At the place where you swim with once clothes (Lubye Lubye) the big herd of buffalos waited for the traffic jam to clear that they can cross and a herd of elephants cross right behind them.

Whilst still standing there buffalos surrounding us, dust in our noses and eyes, the smell of fresh buffalo poop, Robert informed me of a leopard up a head. This leopard was so close to the road I moved my truck further away from the tree when he got up. He was looking into the truck like a model posing for a fashion magazine. He eventually got down and walked away from four hyenas. I was driving parallel with this leopard on one stage I pulled my arm and light back into the vehicle…Robert even told me to be careful. Eventually the leopard disappeared and the hyenas chased us in. Two seconds later we found the leopard behind a tree hiding from these gangsters.

Then we had a leg stretch with a beautiful sky above and to the Malelane road I went for a quiet break, unfortunately the wind was blowing and we could not hear the scop’s owls that I normally hear and we went back to the tar. As I got out of the spot where we stopped for this quiet moment in time another female leopard popped out and two seconds later about 500 meters on, my co-pilot spotted a leopard male in the dark. How he spotted it I don’t have a clue…super contact lenses or something. On the Nwatimhiri causeway a lion couple made the kids chuckle and hair rise on the truck. Mating lions and the sounds that come out of bush when they do is something that makes your heart stop.

WOW!! What a day! :big_eyes: :thumbs_up: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there!

I am sorry it took me sooo long too respond but was away with work+ I had computer problems. :sniper: :huh: :wall: :wall:

Thanks to Micetta, Mellory, Harrys, Sanpfan, Anne-marie, Pumbaa, Shi, Flutterby, Kamadejo and Crested Barbet for your comments!

Yes Shi, I did see them on Salitje and at Mantle mahle dam… (see this post)

Flutterby sorry to hear you did not find the Sable..

Sunday 3 October

I decided to leave early.. It was cloudy… but not for long! I decided to go North…

Close to Mlondozi I found these 2 younsters…

Then this juvenile Bateleur.. came to sit in the road in front of me..

The road was “quiet” expect for the regulars! I decided to turn left close to Tsokwane, on my way back to Skukuza.

At Mantle mahle dam I found lots of game… Rhinos, lots of zebra, giraffe, waterbuck, etc.

On my way out at the dam I saw AGAIN these creatures!! It was the same herd… But they were looking nervous!! The next moment a lioness chased them over the road!! … but did not get a meal… These are pics I took at the dam..of the 2 lionesses…

On my way back to Lower Sabie, I found this new born in the road…. With mommy So sweet!! :pray:

On my way out… I saw a hyena in the road with a steenbok, I am not sure if it caught it or not?? I also saw the following:

They trying to cool down.. Lying as close as they can to the tree with their wings open…

At Transport dam I found these Egyptian Geese bathing. The reed cormorant at the back chased them away! He wanted it all to himself?? :huh:

Check this Crock with nearly no tail…

I also found these flat lizards in the road…

And a korhaan…

This bring this wonderful weekend at a end!I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!! … but I will soon follow with pics from Mapungubwe!! Keep the :popcorn: ready!!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]