Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Forestgump off for a dose of Maroela-Sep2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tomorrow , I shall depart for Maroela for 3 nights, as the signature on my profile says ! There is still time for other forumites to change camps if they wish to avoid the gump family. Estimated time of arrival will be 2 hours after I leave home. :tongue:
There will be no great stories of long game drives on this trip report..
This weekend I will be relaxing with my family at Maroela or in the heat of the day in Orpen swimming pool , whilst watching buffalo at the waterhole.
I will not drive for endless hours looking for a leopard , the leopard will be waiting for me on friday morning somewhere along the timbavati, before you get to Bobbejaan Krans.
On Saturday night there will be a leopard that willl stroll past on the dry Timbavati riverbed next to Maroela. :pray:
The elephants, kudu, duiker, bushbuck, honey badger, hyena, genet, baboon, vervet monkey,dwarf mongoose & impala will all make an appearance at Maroela itself...so why drive far ?
This trip report has great potential to be very boring , so rather move on to one of the other more humorous or photogenic reports. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Forestgump off for a dose of Maroela
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elzet, I took my wife on honeymoon to Shingwedzi in a tent..and you call me a cheap skate :lol: Now she gets to go in an airconditioned caravan ! Speaking of her reminds me that she let me down this afternoon. A hyena squeezed out a faece right in front of the caravan and wife, and no attempt was made to chase it away ! I am now sitting and typing on my phone in front of the fire , listening to pearl spotted owls in a terrible hyena stench ! Have tried to throw leaves over fence to cover it , but just attracted curious stares from the Swiss neighbours next door. oh well , hopefully it will whiten in a hurry in tomorrow's heat ! Bush is looking dry but flowers on sjambok pod and knobthorn pretty yellow at the moment. Goodnight for now.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Porta potties for hynies :hmz: perhaps Oom Theuns can help you :lol: :lol: Besides the smell sounds glorious :thumbs_up:

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

thanks Micetta , Elsa , Vgstephans,Salamanda,Shi and Elzet for your encouragement. :thumbs_up: I am back in front of the fire , hoping the mozzie whining nearby is not a bearer of bad tidings. All the gumplets are asleep with the wife in the airconditioned caravan. ( when I enter it gets switched off so I can hear the nocturnal animals ) This morning the honey badgers raided Maroela at 1am. Dustbins were clanging and being emptied that it sounded like an annual hobo convention. Temperature showed 40 deg today. Staying with the poo theme, I saw a steenbok defecating today and burying the pellets by kicking sand over them with it's forelegs. Never sat and watched them long enough to witness it. I think my neighbours are deaf here at Maroela..the south african's kids need to shout to be heard and the Swiss old man seems to not hear his flatulent problem :lol: Elephans are rumbling in the dark nearby ( not my neighbour this time ) , scops owl doing it's thing backed by fiery necked nightjar. Hyenas are still in the storm water drains under the camp. Saw a couple munching on what used to be a buffalo this afternoon. Kudu barking at the moment hope something spotted on the way. Goodnight everyone.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Been a hot day, still is. The leopard's have been badly behaved, they did not show up here at Maroela. I had to drive to Satara to go and get one this morning ! Even then it was just spots in the grass. Mating pair of lions near Nsemani dam, were exhausted whem i found them they were lion around. My 21 month old daughter tried to pick up a bee at the pool. :cry: But she is a toughie and quickly recovered...although was very unimpressed when a harmless fly landed on her later on. Have now seen the big 5. Eagle sightings have been phenomenal around Orpen. Bird parties are on the go around the weaping boer beans in flower. Right now have a hyena youngster waiting in vain for a piece of my chop. It does not know that forestgump will never share his chops ! Do not dispair this brief trip report is nearing it's brief end. :roll: goodnight

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The last morning was spent relaxing in the campsite. A lot of activity was taking place. This White backed Vulture was busy building it's nest in the large Jackalberry closest to the viewing platform.

The photo's are not great but were shot off the hip, so to speak.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As I said it got a little hot, pools and aircon definately help when you have dragged your wife off to the bush for the weekend !

The campsite at Maroela with airconditioned caravan

The pictures below may be offensive to sensitive viewers !!!

Everyone has seen these signs on the fences..

these are there for good reason , if you feed them you get this result.. :big_eyes:

as I said in my earlier posts ,that was the result of hyena's being fed and encouraging patrolling of the fences !
:redface:

Last edited by forestgump on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This antelope outside Maroela, has a reminder on top of it's head for PM's to any mods, by month end , thank you :lol: .. :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Blommetjie do not be jealous , if you bide your time an opportunity will eventually arise to get your photo of fresh hyena dung.

Micetta, no such luck with my caravan, the gumplets take up to much space. The vulture actually spotted the camera :cam: at the last moment and being :redface: camera shy it tried to avoid the paparazzi. :wall:

Shi :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: thanks for the nomination.... remember you are allowed to vote monthly :whistle:

It looks like I'm slowly putting everyone to sleep on this TR

I have gone into Game Reverse, but could not download photo's in the Park.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The drainage pipes under maroela have eyes that stare back at you. :big_eyes:

Whilst at KNP, I started teaching my youngest daughter about trees , she found it very interesting.

:huh: :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:twisted: A lot of Crested Francolin would come visit my campsite hoping to find something to eat...also not for sensitive viewers :big_eyes:

:roll: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

thanks Shi and Salamanda. I need to post more photo's , just lazy ! Well I'm back at Maroela , back at the same campsite too. The impala around here are looking a bit skinny, I think a bit of good rains will do them good. (Impala probably better for FTV , than Nat.Geo ! ) The area is full of game now. H
Tonight will tie down dustbin with wire again, to keep the honey badger honest. Tomorrow another mite and family will join us. Lions can be heard faintly to the NW right now..not much help as no roads in that region. They better come closer . Have opened windows of caravan, to give my wife fresh air, no...have opened windows to be able to hear the predators tonight. Enough typing on my phone , I'm getting scared sitting out here alone in the dark whilst the family sleeps !

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A lot of disrespectful jabbering above :roll:

:roll: The reason why there are not many drive by sightings on this thread !

another view from the pool , but no action shots followed of elephants rampaging :wall:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elephant bull was bullying poor zebra waiting for a drink.

I think JB72 has a confession to make, he blames the build quality of fold up camping chairs too ! :twisted:

An example of the drawback of taking a mite with you that hogs a window, yes that is a nose, and no JB72 ,that is not a Wahlburgs Eagle :roll:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:16 am 

Just to show you what a Whalbergs looks like

And a kingfisher minus a nose....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next