Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: spargish-Light speed Kruger trip-Sept 2010
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So I was asked to go help out at my employers nelspruit office and since I am going to be here over a week end I decided to book a saturday night in kruger :D

I have 1 night at pretoriouskop in a cosy hut, so Im going to be leaving nelspruit early on saturday morning to be the 1st person at malelane gate :D

I cant wait for the week to end and to go to bed on friday knowing I can go to the park on saturday :D

Although when Im siting in the office here, knowing that I am so close to the park but I cant just leave to the park right now is driving me insane :wall:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post subject: Re: Light speed kruger trip
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ill be sure to prove it :mrgreen:

This is also a trip of firsts for me, its the 1st time I will be going into the park alone, 1st time i will be driving and the 1st time I will be taking pictures, so dont expect amazing photographes as I am not much of a photographer :slap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So its monday and Im back in the office :wall:

Finally I have some time to post though :dance:

Even though my time in the park was so short, I really enjoyed it and it was so relaxing. I had such awesome sightings, seeing 4 of the big 5 and seeing Wild dog :big_eyes:

UNfortunately I will only be able to post pictures when I get back home on wednesday as the office blocks pic storage sites and the wireless at the hotel I am at in Nelspruit is way to expensive.

But im sure that gives you enough time to get the :popcorn: ready :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 1 Malelane-Pretoriuskop

So Saturday finally arrived and I left Nelspruit at 4:30 wanting to get to the Malelane Gate early to avoid the queue. I arrived at the gate at 5:30 and I was the 2nd car there. We stood at the gate and watched a herd of Buffalo walk down to the river, So im not in the park yet and already I have 1 of the big 5 down :mrgreen: Unlucky it was to dark for a picture.

So when 6 arrived I was very happy to be 2nd in line because there was a really long queue :pray: So I headed off towards berg en dal, I noticed a car stopped in front of me so as I approached I saw 2 beautiful white rhino's unfortunately no pics because of the light. So 2 sightings and 2 of the big 5 down :thumbs_up:

I took the Matjulu dirt road and headed off towards the waterhole. I spotted my 1st herd of impala and finally had some decent light
I carried on towards the waterhole and stopped for some kudu to cross the road in front of me.

I reached the waterhole and enjoyed quiet time there, unfortunately not much was happening, so I headed off towards stielberg, on the way there a juvenile giraffe decided to run across the road.
I thought I was watching the game, although this giraffe decided to watch me :wink:

I turned off towards stielberg and bumped into another pair of white rhino, this time I could take some pics :cam:

I carried on towards the stielberg loop an noticed a car creeping forward round the corner, and I started to think about what they have spotted, as I rounded the corner I saw something I have only seen many moons ago as a littile kid. :big_eyes:

I quickly Turned my car around an followed them as they never stopped running, they only stopped briefly to check out a certain bush, they carried on running and then turned into the bush and then suddenly out of site.

So after being in the park for just over an hour I was buzzing...

Part 2 of day 1 coming up later

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 1 continued

So after the beauty of the wild dogs, I carried on over steilberg and really enjoyed the beautiful view it gives you over the hills of the berg en dal area. I then turned onto the tar road towards Afsal, where I was going to have a little breakfast.

I turned off to see if there was anything at renosterpan, I sat there for a while but didnt see anything, so i turned the car back on a headed off to afsal. Before I got back to the tar I spotted this beautiful rhino.
Although Im not sure how an orange got into the picture

Unfortunately the park had just carried out some fire research around the afsal area, so the bush was really black and you could sometimes see some big logs still burning inside. I then came across a hyaena who must have been feasting over night because he looked rather fat, he had what originally looked like a black bag in his mouth but at closer inspection was the charged remains of an unlucky animal.

After a nice breakfast at a very busy afsal I carried on towards Skukuza, I took the dirt road turn off towards the stevenson-hamilton tablets, I thought my poor car was going to rattle apart the road was so corrugated :shock:

After stopping at the look out I carried on towards Skukuza, Unfortunately I didnt see much besides the usual suspects. I decided it was to early for lunch at Skukuza, so I when of to nkhulu for a buff pasty :dance:
I saw some buffalo on the opposite side of the sabie trying to find some shade in the heat.
I carried on towards nkhulu and saw my 1st ellies of the trip, they were heading down towards the sabie.
I got to Nkhulu which was rather busy as well but I enjoyed a very tasty buff pasty :clap: I then carried on towards pretoriuskop.

day 1 part 3 to follow

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]