okie Once upon a rainy day - TR September 2010 to KNP

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks

Moderator: hilda

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

okie Once upon a rainy day - TR September 2010 to KNP

Unread postby okie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:56 pm

This is my first TR since becoming a 'mite , and having read and commented on many other TR's , I almost started feeling guilty in not also telling anything about our experiences to KNP , and so I decided to kick off with a TR of the September 2010 trip .

Actually , it did not rain at all , and in fact there was no indication of rain anywhere when we left Cape Town on Saturday 11th September , on the first leg of the trip . I just mentioned the rain in the title , because , just in case it does really rain at some stage during the trip , then I will have an excuse of having mentioned it . Does it make sense ? OK , noy to worry .
Well the weather was really fantastic , a beautiful Sepember day in the Cape , and for those who know , there is nothing to compare with that .
On Saturday night we stayed over at the farm in Worcester , having a quiet braai , and slowly just getting into the holiday mood , for tomorrow will be a long long drive to Mokala National park .
Not a very good pic , but this gives you some idea of what view we enjoy while braaing and discussing the forthcoming trip .

Sunday 12th September

We left the farm at about 7 am . Most of our stuff had been packed the previous evening , and now we only needed to still put in our bags with clothing , plus foodstuffs , meats and so on , into the refrigerator . All our meat is frozen , at the bottom of the fridge , and will remain so until we get to Kruger , then slowly it will be unpacked and thawed for use - mostly braai stuff .
We get on the road , it about 20 km to Worcester , then onto De Doorns , through the beautiful Heksrivier valley , to the plato where the real Karoo starts .
First stop is in Laingsburg for a road-side brekkie , then on to Beaufort West . Stop outside town at truckstop where we fill up with diesel - although the Landy is fitted with long-range tanks , I prefer to fill up frequently - if I see a lowish fuel-price , then I will fill up . In this case , we pay R7.56 per liter - cheaper than you can get it at the coast in Cape Town !

( That's all for now folks - tomorrow I will continue with this TR )

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Once upon a rainy day - TR September 2010 to KNP

Unread postby okie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Curious Canadian , Kamadejo , VGS ,Leopardlover , Steamtrainfan , Lowveldboy , TheunsH , Thank you all for the good wishes .
I am writing this TR whenever I find a little time ( with a very slow connection here in Satara ) . Arrived yesterday , and already had great sightings , but first let me get up to date with the trip .

Sunday 12th September - continued

A lot of maintenance and upgrades were started on the country's roads before and during the Soccer World cup , and Beaufort West is no exception . The town's main road is closed , and it is now a big detour through the suburbs to get to the other side . However once through town , the road is quite good and you can pick up some speed . At Three Sisters about 70 km north of BFW , we take the turn-off to Kim . Apart from the few hold-ups for roadworks , each little town along the way have now also a speed-camera , and a cop sits waiting for you ( even on the sunday ) , as you leave town , just picking up speed again - how sneaky can you get .

But , I love the karoo - far blue mountains , plains that dissappear in the distance - dark karoo-shrubs , and sweet-thorn trees , dotted with patches of blond grass , with here and there a few sheep grazing or lazing in the heat that shimmers .
While I drive , I watch the scenery going by , whilst SO does knitting and puzzling over some difficult pattern . In the distance , against a rocky hill see a few grey reebuck , then later some springbok , a few bontebok/blesbok , and even some gemsbok .
The Afrikaans poet C.Louis Leipoldt had this to say about the Hantam region of the karoo : " Waboom blare , Gnarrabos blare , arm was ek gister , maar nou is ek ryk " - and that means - " Waggontree leaves , Gnarrabush leaves - yesterday I was poor , but now I am rich " .

An enriching experience , indeed !

We cross the Gariep , and then comes the turn-off to Mokala . The sign says 21 kilometers . And immediately we see game-farm fencing all along . But it is a gravel road , corrugated , shaking everything loose . My braincells feel like they have been scrambled , and although I still have all my own teeth , I think I may have to visit an orthodontist when I get back home and fit false teeth .

Mokala National Park - what a pleasant surprise ! At the gate , we press a button to ring the bell , and immediately a very friendly voice answers , the gate opens , and we drive the 6 km to reception .
After checking in , we go for a short drive on the Mahonie loop , before gate closing time at 6.30 pm . We see buffalo , tsessebe , kudu , ostriches , springbok , wildebeest , zebra .
The restaurant is very pleasant , serving a great venison pie - certainly to be recommended .
Even after this short visit , I can certainly recommend Mokala - we will definitely go again - although a full days drive from Cape Town , but next time I would go for longer - at least three days or so . A pity however that the approach road is so rough .

Enough for now - going on a game drive and will continue later - after our evening braai , which will include a nice bottle of nice red wine ( from Worcester of course ! )
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Continuing - Day 2 - Monday 13th September 2010 .

After a nice restful night , we got up on Monday and left Mokala at about 7 am .
Another bone jarring and teeth rattling trip on the gravel road to the N18 National road , and by 8 am we went through Kim.
Just outside Kimberley is a pan ( a shallow fresh-water lake ) and there are litterally thousands and thousands of pink flamingo's feeding in the shallows - something worthwhile to see . I wanted to get some distance on , and did not stop for pictures - will do so on our way back .
Then 4 hold-ups for roadworks where we lost about 30 minutes . At Wolmaransstad we turned off the main route , off towards Ottosdal - Rustenburg and the N4 . Nice quiet road this , until the N4 , but then very fast moving , onto the N1 just north of Pretoria . A couple of tolls to pay and turned off at Bela Bela to look for a B&B . Eventually got a nice place at Temple holiday resort outside Modimolle .

We had another quiet night and hit the road again at 6.30 am to Polokwane - through Zion city Moria , brekkie in Tzaneen . At Letsitele we stopped at a road-side to buy some fruit , and when we pulled off again - a problem ! The Landy suddenly had no power , could hardly maintain a speed of 80 kph . Stopped , opened the engin cover - what do we do now ?
Everything seems OK , so .... get in , start up , and away we go !
Where's the problem - she runs like normal , but ....... just as I get over my worry , again , loss of power and speed , and then stop , now quite worried !!!
What to do ? the nearest LandRover dealer is in Nelspruit , and we are still almost 50 km to Phalaborwa .
A motorist stops - his name is Riaan , from Phala - " Can I help oom ? " ( Friendly people these Phala- guys ! )
" Well , if you are a motor mechanic you certainly can " .
" No oom , but I know people who may be able to help " .
So he drives behind me , but suddenly , Landy is OK again , and runs like hell ! . But after another 10 km , the same again . Then we just continue to Phala , to see Riaan's friend , who gives it one look and says - " Sorry pal , I do not know these engins ".

OK , we decide to carry on to KNP - take it as it comes - we are not going to travel at high speeds , probably a blockage in the fuel line . I am starting to suspect bad fuel at one of those cheap depots :hmz: and we decide to fill up with nice clean fuel at an expensive filling station - you never know :whistle:

Checking in at Phala gate is quick - and friendly .

By now it is past mid-day , and hot , very hot , with about 150 km to Satara , and the question on our lips - will the Landy give more trouble , or what :pray: :big_eyes:

More tomorrow ........... :roll:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi guys - once again thank you for responses .
Kamadejo - :clap: it is always "lekker" to braai in Kruger , and this was no exception :lol:
Micetta , Scipio , Elsa , X - :thumbs_up:

Continuing - Tuesday 14th September .

Well , having experienced some car problems right at the start of KNP visit , certainly does not leave one with a " lekker " feeling . Rather a sense of uncertainty - remember we are now entering a zone with little or no cell-phone reception . What happens if we have a breakdown and need assistance ? What if , what if , etc etc ......

Decision time - :hmz: considering that it does seem to be a fuel problem , and therefore ( hopefully ) , unlikely to have a total breakdown , we decide to carry on . In any event , no need to speed , do we :hmz:
Therefore , using an old rugby rallying cry " Haak Phalaborwa ! -- Stoot ! " ( Hook Phalaborwa - Push ! ) , and off we go , check in at gate , " Satara , here we come " :tongue:

First turn-off to Sable dam , but nothing . On again , a couple of impala , then we see this little steenbokkie , just standing , enjoying the shade .

Carry on , back to the tar road , and then coming up to the Masorini Arch site turn-off , we see 4 ellie bulls , dozing , ears flapping . One of them pushes against the tree , testing his strength against it . He lost :naughty:

We stop at Letaba , buy an ice-cream , and sit on the bench outside reception area . Also in the parking area , four people with two vehicles , one speaking on his cell-phone , making arrangements to meet somewhere . Then they all get into the two vehicles , the one towing the other :huh: .
Oh dear , oh dear . At least we are still mobile :whistle:
The tar road between Letaba and Olifants is being covered by a thick layer of sand - already the layer is showing signs of corrugation - I suppose it does help to preserve the tarmac surface , but the question comes up - are they going to do this to all the tar roads ? Time will tell , but maybe we can get some comment from Sanparks :hmz:

It is hot , and there are not many animals around , but we do manage to see some -impala , giraffe , waterbuck , then just north of Ngotso , a huge , huge herd of buffalo , moving in a southerly direction . Amongst the trees we see some ellies , and further up some more ellies crossing the road .
Take a pic of the buffs with ellis behind them , and move on .

At the water hole another lot of ellies , a few bulls tussling a bit , but then right next to the road this big old man - huge tusks .

We go on to look at another big guy , he has one broken tusk and moves off into the bush , so we turn back to the old man - I want some more pics of him :lol:
And just before we get to him , what do we see ? A lion , its head just visible , about 100 meters from the ellie .

We cannot believe how our luck has turned , but time is moving on , and we have to get to Satara before 6.00 pm

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Yes indeed , a great start to the trip . :lol: Three of the big five within a few hundred meters of each other :clap:
But , we must get to Satara , and move on .

I say to SO : I know we are going to see some rhino soon . And the next moment , a long , long way off , I see them . Not one , but three , of which the one is a calf . I take a very long off picture.

Wow , now what is this ? Three lions doing what lions do best , enjoy the hot sun , legs all sprawled out .

Then again , not 5 minutes later , and elephant , and behind him a group of 4 rhino .

Plus , not very far away , ANOTHER four rhino , making it eleven rhino in a very short span of time .

Very well satisfied we move on to Satara , to check in just before closing time .
Who cares about car trouble if we have such luck our first afternoon :huh:
Tomorrow is another day :lol:
Last edited by okie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Wednesday 15th September 2010 .

After the long day yesterday , with a good start to sightings , we got up early and left camp by about 6.10 am .
Decided to go down the ... S100 for a start ... ( where else ) .
And certainly this road didnot fail to once again NOT live up to expectations .
Saw a few waterbuck , impala , giraffe , but not much else .
Brekkie at Nwanedzi , then to Sweni hide , where the water level had gone down considerably since last visit in May .
About 20 white storks , and a medium size croc who wanted to try his luck in catching a stork , but they were too wary for him .
It was quite hot , and then some ellies arrived to quench their thirsts .

Back up the S41 , to Gudzani dam . Further on we found a couple of Saddlebill storks , sitting on their heels under a thorn tree .
At Gudzani north , a family of 4 lions ( three females , and one youngish cub ) lying in the shade of the cement dam .
Then on the S90 , in the distance another rhino , making the tally for the two days now twelve .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Micetta :thumbs_up:
And Thursday did not produce much either .
Took the H7 to Orpen , at that stage thinking maybe we should go to Nelspruit to have the Landy fixed . Then making a final decision on this , drove down S140 , to Muzandneni picnic spot for brekkie . Again somewhat quiet day , a few ellies having a bath at Ximangwaneni dam , then back to camp . The day had turned quite unpleasant , lots of smoke from fires , and a strong breeze chasing it .

As you say , not every day turn out to be a big five day but Friday - 17th September is a day I will remember for a long time :lol:

Keep a watch this on this space :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:33 pm

A few pics of what we saw on Wednesday 15th September .

This waterbuck .

And these impala enjoying the shade .

Saddlebills - man but its hot out there :tongue:

Fish eagle and Mariboo storks

and a pretty young zebra

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Thursday 16th September 2010

First - the peanut gallery :roll:

Then a BBJ comes to say hello :lol:

A chameleon in Afrikaans is called " trapsuutjies " - it means " tread softly " , and the swaying backwards and forwards immitates leaves in the breeze .

This guy took about 20 minutes to walk 2 meters - I would also be carefull with all the traffic that comes rushing past me . :whistle:

Ellies do enjoy their mid-afternoon mud-baths , don't they :huh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Thank you K . :lol:

Friday 17th September 2010 .

This turned out to be a day that one can only dream of , probably never to be repeated :whistle:
Got up early , left Satara at 6.00 am , with a big traffic jam outside the gate south bound , by a huge herd of Buffs , that had spent the night on the tar-road , like buffs like to do . And cars jamming up because they cannot get past .
So we turn northward , where a few dagga-boys rest under a tree , having their faces cleaned by oxpeckers .

Then further on , a big rhino bull . for us , number thirteen so far this visit to KNP .

Just after the S39 turn-off , another traffic jam - six lions finishing off the last little bits from a zebra-kill .

Just look at this battle-scarredface , full of experience :

Traffic is too much , so we turn back , onto the S39 to Timbavati , and afew minutes later heres what we get . The pictures tell the story quicker and better than what I can do in words :

First some anxiety , snorting :

A brief struggle , then effort , drag and pause

Hold on , drag and pause :

Then along comes bully boy :

Some more anxiety , pause , look around :

A brief tussle between two rivals , and the winner :huh:

Six minutes , thats all the time it took .
From start to finish . From reward for hard work to be dispossessed

Well , thats life . It is tough :tongue:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Kamadejo & Pumbaa , yes as I mentioned , life is tough out in the bush :twisted:
Snoobab , Norms , JJ , Em86 - thanks for support . Landy is a 2008 Puma , now done almost 90000 k's , and still under factory warranty . Took it to Letaba maintenance and we washed out the fuel filter . Maybe the problem is over , no problem in getting around at present , and she sounds good , but will see next Friday when we leave . The problem is only when I get to high speed , then she suddenly looses power . If we DO have aproblem , then plan B is to call Land Rover Assist who will then give me another vehicle , whilst mine is being fixed , so therefore , I am not too worried at present .
Certainly enjoying our visit , and also some good sightings . Will continue posting the TR as I get the time . Never knew it to take up so much time , and so slowly . :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:32 pm

It appears to be a problem wih inconsistent signal in KNP .

I have spent so much time already just to do these few pages ( up to 4 hours every day ) , that I have decided I will stop the TR for now , and finish next week when I am back at home .
Sorry about that , but I feel I would rather spend time watching animals than wasting my time on bad and slow connections :tongue:
So , until next week :thumbs_up:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 am

17 th September - continuing .

After the leopard-kill and the hyena robbing it , we continued leasurely down the Timbavati road , still all hyped-up , and keeping on congratulating ourselves for not remaining at the lion-kill earlier . The Timbavati road is one of my favourites , all along the riverbank , beautiful acacia trees , then suddenly this road-block

Two brothers in the middle of the road , standing in duplicate - curious expressions on the faces :

Totally in harmony with each other , looking this way , and then that way .

That's nature - everything in balance .

Watch a mother and child , then back to Satara , end of another perfect day in paradise .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Now , let's try again to post another episode , Micetta's way .

When we got back to Satara , my SO had a bright idea , and enquired at reception about emergency services inside the park . We were told that there is a workshop at Skukuza , and another one at Letaba . These workshops do maintenance on Sanparks vehicles . They called the workshop ,and I spoke a person there who said he could look at the fuel filter and clean it for me , so we arranged to drive to Letaba next morning – Saturday .
So after a very very satisfying day , that we really enjoyed our evening braai , plus a very nice bottle of red wine from the Cape .
Saturday 18th September.

Up early , left camp at 6 am , and a few kilometres up the road saw couple rhino , then another two rhino far-off . Just before Letaba , saw this Egyptian goose sitting in a vulture’s nest . These geese always nest up in trees , or even on top of buildings . We just found this one so interesting and wondered what would happen when the vulture comes back and finds his home occupied by mother goose .
Well , at Letaba maintenance workshop , we took off the fuel filter , washed it out , and re-fitted it . Some anxious moments when Landy did not start immediately , but , then she roared into life , and as we say “ die Kaap was weer Hollands “ ( the Cape is Dutch again – all is OK ) . Had a leasurely brunch at Letaba day-visitors area .
Back on the road , not sure whether the problem was fixed because , as already said before , it only occurred at high speeds . So , take it as it comes , and that is what we did for the next week . In the meantime , we enjoy Kruger .
On the way back , we again drove down the Timbavati road . It was very hot , and at Leeupan we saw these impala and zebra quenching their thirsts.

Then around a bend , these hippos on the riverbank – I counted 35 of them , basking in the sun .Question , what do you call a lot of hippos ?

Maybe “ a pod of hippos “ because they looked like beached whales – a lot of blubber , basking on the beach . In this instance a beach on the river-side .

Not many animals ,impalas , some more kudus , ellies , and this zebra , with his tail somewhat tangled in an acacia tree’s thorns .Should I say “ thereby hangs a tail “ ?

At the junction with the S127 , we turned back to the main road ( H1-4 )to Satara , but not before seeing this group of 6 rhinos . Amazing that just a few years ago , you could drive around for days on end without seeing any .

Back at Satara , we decided to just chill out for the rest of the day .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Sunday morning – 19th September
Being Sunday , we got up a little later than usual , and headed southwards , towards Tsokwane where we intended to have brekkie .
Driving along leisurely , no animals in sight , when suddenly , spotted something about 300 meters off the road in the grass .
Woow , a honeybadger , in broad daylight , snuffling away in the grass , busy busy , busy , and moving further away all the time . They say that honeybadgers can roam up to 25 kilometers per night and wonder if this guy is related to the Satara HB’s , and whether if he ever visits there ?

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Return to “Travel Tales”