Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mellory-Time to create some more Memories-Sep2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is only at times when you lose someone close to you that one tends to question ones own life. We recently had the untimely passing of a family member due to a motor cycle accident it was a HUGE shock to all and it was said (if only) if only we had time to say goodbye etc etc. When I was writing my condolences I gave thought to my own words (let the good memories of your loved one give you the strength you need to carry you through,) and decided I want to make some special memories for myself and my mother who is now 78. I was planned to go up to Skukuza on the 2nd for the hand over of dustbins and then with the approval of my SO I made a few changes I am leaving on the 1st and coming back the 4th 2 days at Skukuza and guess what I managed to get a booking at my all time FAVOURITE a perimeter tent at Lower Sabie :dance: :dance: I am really excited as my mom has been widowed for just over a year and only ever came with us to the park 18 years ago and was accidently knocked over at Berg n Dal so she spent a fair amount of time in the Nelspruit hospital with a broken foot.(That was not a good memory at all). KNP :dance: :dance: :dance: I'm coming back to place I love most and hope to be able to share of my memories with you all.

Last edited by Mellory on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Time to create some more Memories
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your kind words it really means a lot. Well time for the check list.

Camera check
Binoculars check
Amarula check

Well thats about it ready to go........................seems I may have forgotten something :hmz: never mind have all I need. Really looking forward to heading out of jozi early in the morning not as early as I would like but being just us 2 woman I am a bit more cautious of driving in the dark.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well I am back pics are loaded and ready to post. Already it seems like a distant memory. Thanks to all of you for keeping SO company and no Kamedejo I had no desire to find him a snake.
[quote="billyf"]Holigan, is it more a question of missing mel or not also being in Kruger :hmz:
billyf I think you are spot on here but hey I also missed him......my driver :lol:

Trip went by without a hitch only problem was we used my moms (I call her "duckie")car and I forgot to put in my CD case and only one CD in the shuttle Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, for the oldies thats great but travelling music noooooooo ...once we lost radio signal Duckie decides we need to have music :wall: :wall: to keep me awake :huh: :huh: When it was time for a relief stop I search through my computer bag and :dance: found a CD only to have my hopes dashed when the shuttle spat it out and could not read it. I tried everything possible to find a station to no avail but I also made sure the one and only working CD found itself another home for the duration of our trip.So instead we spent our time making small talk and I realised just how old dear old "duckie" has actually got! Got to Malelane and felt the thrill that only being back in the bush can give. Well duckie this is it you are in the Kruger, great comes the reply.(Me) What do you think we will see first , (Mom) I dont know but I want to see my friends (those are vervet monkeys). Off we go and the first sighting is a..............

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

[quote="Micetta"]But Mellory, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin are so nice to listen to.......from time to time :wink:
Once in a life time is good enough for me thank you.

The first animal was.......(Mom) look there's some buck I turn to look yes mom those are impala. I turned onto the Berg n Dal road to have a quick stop at Malelane camp to get my camera which I had left in the boot :huh: but SO called and said I should go to Berg n Dal to get petrol just in case there is a problem once up at Skukuza (due to the strike) which I then proceeded to do and typically that is when there were quite a few sightings with no camera in hand. We saw buffulo in the distance,giraffe and ellies in the road duckie was very apprehensive and told me in no uncertain terms must I go near as they would attack us!!!! I tried to explain that once they had crossed into the bush that it was quite safe to pass and that they were not interested in us at all it took a lot of convincing over the next couple of days for her to realise that I do not take chances and know how to read the situation. We got to B n D and mom called out theres my friends I got my camera from the boot and here they are.

Really cute trying to get a drop of water here.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After a comfort break we headed for Skukuza on leaving Berg n Dal it stuck me how dry the area was from our last visit in April (never got rounfd to a TR) where we saw Rhino in the embankment of which I will take the liberty of showing you here as they are absolutely delightful

Here is a pic of the area to show you how dry

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the comments pleased you enjoyed the video we watched those guys for ages. Shi missed you to and hope we can get together soon we must check out the next photographic meet.

And next up were the following:

We stopped at afsaal for brunch and I have never seen so many starlings and hornbills together at once in my life. There were at a quick count a minimum of 25 hornbills, I gave up counting the starlings it was unreal, if you looked up in the trees it looked like Christmas decorations hanging from each branch. It was quite amusing to watch as they are seasoned thieves and peoples reactions as they were swooped upon was quite amusing from fright to laughter and in one instance anger.

Caught Duckie in the act, on me telling her it is wrong to feed the birds/animals she claimed that he asked so nicely and she could not resist.

After a great stop with entertainment we were on the road again.

Last edited by Mellory on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kamadejo wrote:
Mellory, your pics are wonderful :clap: :clap: Just love those Southern Ground Hornbills, they look like being on a mission. :lol: So feeding birds :wink: , well hope she understood why it is wrong. On the other hand I really like her excuse :wink: :popcorn:

They say life goes full circle and I felt like I was explaining to my children as "duckie" really did not see my point at all it was a major mission to keep her from feeding her "friends" the vervets (because everybody does it and cant you see they say pleez pleez) all
I could do was laugh at her and love her all the more.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you for the comments, I tried to carry on a few times but once again keep getting logged off :wall: :wall: So time to try again as time marches on and the count down to my next trip has begun 4th-7th November Berg n Dal here we come. We proceeded on to Skukuza and I learnt that if duckie said to me theres a buck I must stop as it could be anything and not just an impala as I realised when she saw this one. Duckie: theres another buck on glancing back I expected to see an impala and saw this steenbok Me:mom that a steen bok duckie: they are all buck to me so we saw lots of buck some with spots,big horns small horns and the rest.

I was amazed when duckie asked me what buck these were one just takes it for granted that everybody knows.

Last edited by Mellory on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

kamedejo thank for always being there.

[quote="Shi"]:thumbs_up: :D YAY!!! Will be FANTASTIC to see you and Hol's again and catch up :dance: :dance:[/quote

Shi that is going to be soooooo cool. Looking forward to it. Now to move on there are so many wonderful TR's going at the moment that I get caught up in them instead of finishing mine :redface:
We made it to Skukuza at around 11.30am and Ducky was complaining of a numb (non existant in my opinion) bum she is not used to sitting in the car for all those hours, unfortunately I had forgotten about the new check in times which Skukuza stick to very STRICTLY although I cannot understand why guests cannot be booked in and then collect keys later as this would have avoided the LOOOOONG que we came upon at check in time. :hmz: We decided to go down to the cafeteria have an ice cream check up on the resident bats and see who was home at the dam. This is who we found not many bats but I think they have not all returned yet after the winter.

We then ventured out and went to the bridge where we found a few fishermen,a brown hooded kingfisher, wire tailed swallow a raptor and kudu.

With that we headed back to camp hoping to be able to book in as by now i was feeling really tired I suffer from sleep apnea and really felt I needed a nap.(Really missed SO by regular driver)I was amazed to find people queing outside the door, finally booked in and was able to have 40 winks whilst Duckie sat on the verander and took in the bliss of being in the bush. you all know what I mean. Heaven :dance: After my nap I was rearing to go Lake Panic here we come......

Last edited by Mellory on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the comments and thank you Elsa for the tawny ID been lazy and not checked by book yet, so much easier to get if from my fellow forumites :wink: I have a bit of bad news my SO is currently in theatre he has broken his wrist (wonder if he did it on purpose so that he can get out of putting up tents next month) :hmz: :hmz: jokes aside I had an ear op a week and a half ago and it has been sheer hell, and just yesterday he said to me just think when we go to Kruger next month you will be able to take all sounds in in stereo (I have only had 25% hearing in that ear in the past) now that is really something to look forward to.
Anyway now for Lake Panic on our way there this guy obliged and finally gave me a good pic.

I have now been to Lake Panic at all times of the year and it excites me regardless, last time we were there there was very little activity as it was nearing winter, and now you can see the residents returning home for the summer, weavers are still few but the heron is on her nest getting ready.

I hope I dont bore by posting too many pics although nothing great I hope it just gives you the feel of sitting in the hide and taking it all in.

I love the changing light as the sun goes down.

There was a great cloud of smoke which did take away from the beauty and quite distressing.

With that Duckie agreed that it was magic,and we moved on so that I could get my sunset.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you so much for the good wishes and pm's it really means a lot to know that there are people out there who care, good news is SO had a follow up yesterday and doctor happy with the progress no further op required.

We left lake panic to try catch the sunset, not the best but here is the sun going down our first day in our beloved Kruger.

We got back to camp finished off the rest of the "padkos" and called it a night. asked duckie if she would be getting up early to catch the sunrise and early morning activities with me and she said no. duckie is not a early morning person at the best of times. My internal alarm clock had me up nice and early,stumbling around in the dark so as not to wake her up (forgot to put tourch next to bed) I was rearing to go by 5.45 am and decided to head back to lake panic for some "me" time what better place than that first thing in the morning.

Sunrise on the way there.

I was the first to arrive and the stillness was awesome, with the hippos gradually coming to life and the birds starting to fly off and the glint of the sunrise on the water
I cannot resist to share pics from there again.

After sitting there for a good hour watching the hippo's have big discussions of who was doing what before they headed out for the day, (fortunately not many people otherwise I would not have been able to over indulge like that) I headed back to camp to get duckie going so we could go out before it got too hot.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you again to all those that take the time to comment much appreciated. Got back to camp and Duckie was up having coffee and rusks so instead of taking it out with us I joined her and then we headed for Stevenson Hamilton road it turned out to be overcast and I got some stunning shots of the sunrise quite high in the sky.

Duckie still cannot understand my fixation of wanting to take pics at all angles and I am sure there are many of you who know what I mean when I say I am looking for the FNB tree with the sun behind it. (Duckie did not know what I was on about but I have since shown her oooooh now I know what you mean she says).

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Micetta.
Now I am so used to being driven around that I was not sure of how to get to where I wanted to be and bright spark left the map book in the hut :redface: you know really. I attempted to take the S114 but the look on Duckie's face when I got onto the corrugation said it all, so I decided to turn back and take the tar road rather and went on to Delaporte water hole and what a treat we had unfortunately not any great pics I was not in the right position (sigh..... to be in Fritz our microbus) on arrival there were a lot of impala at the waterhole, the next thing the peace was broken by 2 baby elephants that came rushing up to chase them,the impala looked at them as if to say who are you, most of them got tired of the little ones tiraids and moved on but the few brave ones that stayed behind helped this viewing to be really entertaining. I could not see the adults anywhere but the babies would dissapear and then suddenly come running out the bush towards the impala with trunks up and ears flapping it was really quite funny to see and Duckie was in her element and talking away to them telling them they were naughty etc,. pics not good but here is an idea of what was going on..

the few that stayed behind

Jumbo who was trying to prove he was big and strong, friend/cousin had run back already sure mom was calling but this guy needed to prove a point.

A great laugh it was.

We moved on towards Afsaal but with everything newly burnt there was not much to see so we turned back to make way back to Skukuza for brunch there were a lot of cars parked around Delporte water hole so I thought the elephants were up to their tricks again only to be told there had been a leopard there, so find a spot turn off the car get binos, camera and wait. Cars started to pull off one by one and I managed to get a good spot, my eye kept going back to a spot under a tree across from the waterhole but as you all know it is amazing how a rock/log/bush can look like a cat I would take the binos and look at this "rock" and think no I'm wrong there is nothing so I would scan the area only to be drawn back to the same spot and low and behold the rock grew ears, moved and was gone in an instant :huh: :huh: and that was my leopard sighting for this trip.Drove onto the road hoping to see it in the river bed but no luck found this bushbuck instead maybe it was meant to be brunch as it was really close to where I saw the leopard take off.

across the road this kudu

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shi wrote:
Lovely Nyala :thumbs_up:
:popcorn: :popcorn:

That was a bush buck Shi Nyala coming up me thinks......

With that we headed back with Duckie continually talking about the ellis she was thrilled. Back at camp we agreed to chill around camp as I soon realised that duckie is not used to sitting in the car and heat for long stretches and I too had developed a very bad headache. After a nap the bush was calling so we headed out again after buying a sandwich for lunch. I decided to take the H4-1 for an hour and then head back, this did not prove to be all that fruitful. Vervets which I am sure the people parked under the tree were feeding as they was very curious as to what else they had there were a lot of warthogs around but not in the right places for a good pic.

We got back to camp had some refreshment and later walked up to the waterfront to see what was there nobody home but the reason/excuse :wink: for my visit to KNP had arrived.

Nampak donated these bins to KNP and in conjuction with JHB Region Honorary Rangers after a lot of time,research and many meeting later this project finally became a reality.
Although they were already installed in the camp in time for the world cup to test them out, there were a few problems which had to be modified and the this was one of them

The initial bins lid did not have a full tilt, so when rubbish was put into the bin it stayed in the lid instead of tilting into the bin, all the bins lids would be changed and when the others are rolled out into other camps there will be a few other minor changes.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shi wrote:
But I am really impressed with your recycling bins and all the energy you and Holigan put into the HR's and with the youngsters :clap: :clap: :clap: WELL DONE Mel a true :littleangel:

:redface: :redface: Thank you Shi and Kamedejo for your kind words we are very passionate about HR's and our juniors but the praise for these bins goes to 2 other very dedicated HR's from our region, it was so good to see it come to fuition after 2 years of planning.

[quote="Micetta My experience with humans make me doubt that all of them know the difference between recycling materials and non recycling ones...even with the pics :evil:

[I trust they are monkey proof :wink: [/size]

Micetta you are so right I sat and watched from our hut and saw exactly what you are saying, we are very aware that there needs to be more education of tourists as well as the staff which is on the cards. As far as monkey proof they are designed to be just that but hey, when throwing away your rubbish make sure you are not being watched :wink: these guys are sooooooo clever.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next