Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: MichaelWildtuin-My best trip to Kruger so far!-Aug 2010
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:38 pm 

Hi! This is my first trip report! I'm 15 years old and me and 3 family members went to Berg en Dal for 3 nights!

I took almost all of the photo's myself with a Canon Powershot SX200 IS with 12x optical zoom.

This trip we were planning to do a little birding, so I bought myself a bird book. I identified a lot of birds, but I'm unsure about many of them and there are a few which I have been unable to identify, so maybe you could help??

We entered at Pahbeni gate. First we went to the Albasini ruins and then we went to a dam close by. Just before the dam we saw our second sighting, after impala:

After the dam we saw Buffalo, Kudu,, Impala and this young elephant on its own:

We now went to Lake Panic. There were lots of birds and crocs and hippo's and so on. This crocodile was stalking a bushbuck.
But the bushbuck just casually walked away...

I like this photo :P

And last of Lake Panic: This beautiful malachite kingsisher:

The next part will follow soon!

Last edited by MichaelWildtuin on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My best trip to Kruger so far!
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 pm 

After Lake Panic we went to the golf club to see where my parents had their wedding and we went to the staff village to see my mother and grandparents' old homes and school and so on...

Next we went to a look out point (I forgot the name). It was windy and cloudy and most of the bush was burnt so the view wasn't that nice, but I think it wil be nice with the sun shining.

We went to Afsaal for some lunch. There was a banded mongoose but he was too fast for a photo!
After Afsaal there was a big surprise!

I had never seen baby hyenas before so this was very special!

Before going to camp we saw steenbuck, elephant rhiino, bushbuck and Kudu.

We made a fire for a braai. In the meantime I took some pictures of the moon:

We were sitting by the fire when suddenly this genet came and said hello! It has a black tail tip, so what kind of genet is it?

I almost forgot!! On our way to Berg en Dal we saw our first lion!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the trip report MW .

The Genet with a black tail tip is Genetta tigrina or Large-spotted Genet or Rooikolmuskejaatkat .

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:04 pm 

Thank you for all your comments!

The second day we did the Matjulu loop. We saw this elephant with quite big tusks. Is it a tusker or are they too small?
White fronted bee eater:
Can someone please help me ID these birds?
After the birds we had another special sighting:
People told in a car in front of us that this was a baby Duiker and that we had separated it from its mother! :wall: We quickly drove on hoping that they would be reunited.

After the duiker we went to the Gardenia hide. On the way we saw lots of animals, including this giraffe with beautiful tail and this kudu :lol:

This buffalo had problems with his left eye..

By the time we got to the hide it had started to rain! It was windy and we were quite cold. There wasn't much at the hide, only a few grey go away birds and some other comon birds. We had some lunch in the hide and went on...

What does this look like to you..?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi MWT,

Great report and photos. Also think that Kudu pic is a winner :thumbs_up:

The Swallows look like Red-breasted Swallows (Mosque Swallows would show white, not red, throats). The very long tail streamers are also a good clue.

Hope theres more to come.

A Birder's Eye View of Kruger

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:26 pm 

Yes! It was a lion!
We all at first thought it was a rock. My mother even joked about it being a lion. When we finally got as near as possible we still couldn't see if it was a lion or hyena (because of the red hair). Then finally he lifted his Great head. I had to zoom in 48 times to get this photo, so he was quite far away.

We also 'alerted' another couple while his head was still down, who surely would have missed him otherwise.

Well tomorrow I'll post my Best Sighting Ever :D :P :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 pm 

So...
A few minutes after the lion, while we were still discussing him, my grandfather shouted STOP! and there it was! a HONEY BADGER. I couldn't believe how big it was. It was very busy on the opposite side of the river.
I only had a few seconds to take a photo so sorry for the quality!

After the HB we went to Afsaal again. Just next to Afsaal in a sort of dry river was this hyena.

Me and my dad decided we would like to have another look at the hyena out of the car. So after parking at Afsaal we went to the back of the building (behind the toilets) to look at the hyena. Well...it wasn't there anymore. So we grew a bit nervous and startedd going towards the picnic spot, when suddenly...
We almost ran into the kitchens hahaha :lol:
We walked on to the picnic spot and kept an eye on him all the time. Then suddenly after a few m inutes he just disappeared...and luckily never appeared again!

We couldn't find the scops owls, but we did see this nice hornbill

After Afsaal we went on to Berg en Dal

I wonder what elephant did this :big_eyes:

Is this a purple roller?

We also saw ground hornbills for the second time.

These giraffes I filmed sometime this day, but I don't know when. They were 'necking' a little (only once in this clip).

So...That was another great day!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:04 pm 

Alright! Time for day 3!
We decided to do our first ever 'morning drive' (leaving as soon as the gates open). So we got up at 5:30 and were ready at 6!

We saw lots of animals, including ground hornbill, buffalo, rhino, sitting bateleur, and, I think on the Steilberg loop, a few male elephants, some in MUSTH.
We thought this was the last elephant, when we suddenly saw one in front of us on the other side of the road! We quickly drove forward to stand in front of the elephant, because it was a sloping narrow road :o
My mother especially is very nervous with elephants...probably because of all the elephant stories my grandfather knows....
Well another car came from behind us. The elephant didn't like it and shook his head and ears, so we quickly drove away!

Just to give you an idea of what the road looked like, imagine it with an elephant just to the right :shock:

So we returned to camp for breakfast. We didn't see any leopards, but were still happy with the sightings.

Next part following soon!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:16 pm 

Hi again!
After our morning drive we decided to leave at Malelane and enter again at Crocodile Bridge, so that we could see a different part of the park. On the way we went to see the Mosambiquean border because my dad wanted to :slap:
Well anyway...This was the first time I was at crocodile bridge.

We decided to have lunch at the Hippo Pools. On the map there were opening hours, but we couldn't understand why...does a lookout point close...? Well when we came there we found out why :lol:

After lunch we decided to head for Afsaal on the gravel road and then to Berg en Dal. The first thing we saw was this bird (which had been identified by forumites as a bateleur :) )

Actually the road turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I have never seen so few animals for so long. Both sides of the roads were burned and the roads were very bad. It sounded like the airbag would explode at any minute :lol:
So we didn't see many animals but we did see A LOT of raptors. I havn't ID'ed them all yet, but I'll try do that later...

Beautiful Kudu! Just before Afsaal

That's enough for now! :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Nice to have a young man as interested and capable at MWT on the forum.

It is a purple roller a few pages back, and you have a tawny eagle in among the immature bateleur pics.

I have seen more leopards since I strarted birding, looking in trees. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:40 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm back again :D
So is that the hight the bridge will be?? We thought those were only the foundations :?

So...to continue my report...
We stopped again at Afsaal and I was able this time to get a picture of one of the few banded mongooses there

and a squirrel

After Afsaal we headed home.

We did the rhino trail again and saw....rhino! at the dam:

We continued on the trail but...we got lost. We eventually found ourselves in the backyards of the staff! We quickly walked past the windows and onto the road. Because it was getting dark very quickly we began te get a bit nervous. We finally found our way again and walked next to the fence to our house. On our way we saw...

My mom wouldn't let me get closer than that. She says an elephant could easily run right through the fence...It was still special though to be able to stand so close to a wild elephant with only a little fence between you!

That was the end of our last full day in Kruger :(
Now we only had the next half day to maybe spot a leopard!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:37 pm 

Well, it's finally time for the final part of this Trip Report!

We left at about 8. The plan was to go to Lake Panic and leave at the same gate we entered.

The first thing we saw was our first big herd of buffalo.

After that we saw a few wildebeests...AND THEN!

I was staring out of the window on my right when I suddenly saw a leopards face with his tongue hanging out! I shouted leopard and my dad stopped and reversed as fast as he could. By the time we reached the spot of the leopard all we could see were a few moving spots and then, after a few seconds, all the spots just disappeared. A few cars stopped but didn't see anything so they just went on again. We waited and drove up and down for about 10 minutes, but thenwe had to accept he was gone, without a photo :( But it still felt great to have spotted a leopard! Only my third one ever.

We wanted to have lunch at I think Renosterkoppies. On our way we saw:

A whole family of ground hornbills, including one with a black beak (juvenile?). I've heard they only lay one egg every so many years. That's so strange...

At Renosterkoppies(??) we had lunch and on our way up we saw three klipspringers!

After lunch with a beautiful view we headed for Skukuza golf club again and saw this group of kudu's.

We had a quick toilet break at the golf club and went to Lake Panic for the last time. I'll just post a few photo's of what we saw there.

( taken by my dad)

Because we were running out of time we had to leave! :( :(

On the way to the gate we did see kudu, buffalo, steenbok and impala as a nice goodbye present :D

And so we left the park.

Hopefully we will be back next year, but that's not very likely...so I'm glad I enjoyed this year!

Thank you all for reading and thanks for all your comments!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:05 pm 

Yes it was a great trip :D

And now to sum up what made this trip so special:
-The large amount of rhino's
-Lake Panic
-The Hyena den
-the lion lying on it's back
-the lion that looked like a rock
-the genet that visited us at night
-the baby duiker
-the honey badger
-the hyena at Afsaal
-seeing the sunrise on our morning drive
-navigating through all the elephants on Steilberg
-the walk at the Hippo Pools
-the large amount of raptors
-the rhino at Berg en Dal camp
-the elephant next to the fence
-the leopard
-all the ground hornbills we saw every day
-the malachite kingfisher at like panic
-all the birds we saw

That's such a long list :D We did however notice 2 strange things: We didn't see a single waterbuck. We didn't see a single baboon. That's strange isn't it? :hmz:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]