Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 7
 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: ELZET-Say What??!! - The Sequel
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Approximately three weeks ago....

LZ’s cognition (c) : ‘Say what?!

TH repeating himself : ‘Don’t you think it would be great to go camping again after all these years?’

LZ : ‘Err… I’m not too sure. You know we haven’t camped for quite some time’.

LZ’s c : ‘Are you nuts? He's losing it. Must be old age setting in. Or 'transfer years.'

TH : ‘Do you remember how great it was… camping? Just the two of us, roughing it out. Pitching the tent in a secluded spot next to the fence?’

LZ’s c : ‘That’s when we were on honeymoon and still very much in love. Secluded sounds like too far from the ablutions. Ablutions!? Sharing them?! Oh no. Roughing it out? What, at my age?

LZ : ‘… Yes, I remember. It surely was good times’.

Post subject: Re: Say what??!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A few days later ….

LZ c : 'Ouch, my foot hurts. You need to serve me hand and foot for quite some time, Oom'. :twisted: :dance:

TH : I think we should go camping somewhere in the bush…

LZ c : 'Over my dead body. Ok, today is a good time to die'. :roll:

LZ : ‘Love, let’s first see how quickly I’m back on my feet again…’ :twisted:

LZ c : ‘Congratulations! Great stalling technique, Baby! :twisted: :clap: .’

LZ : ‘Are you serious? :evil: :shock: :big_eyes:

TH : ‘No, just thought how nice it would be to camping again… :? ’.

Last edited by Elzet on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A few days later ….

LZ c : ‘Ouch, my other foot hurts. Oh healthy feet, where art thou?’

TH : ‘I see that M(&^o has a tent for sale. It sleeps seven people. BTW, how’s your feet?’

LZ c : ‘Say WHAT?!’

LZ : ‘Very painful. I’m afraid infection is setting in’.

LZ c : ‘High five, Baby… :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: Eisch, that brains like these should rot one day…’ :?

TH : ‘Dearest, you must rest.’

LZ : ‘Thanks Bokkas, that’s very kind of you. Now serve me! I want chips, chocolates, Channel 183, no, too loud, no, too soft… These feet are killing me’. :twisted: :twisted:

TH : ‘Should you wake up and I’m not around, don’t worry, I’m off to M(&^o to check out the tent that is on sale.'

LZ c : ‘Is the man deaf too? Can’t he see my facial expression and the tone of voice in my eyes?’ :twisted: :evil: :P

LZ : ‘No use going there if you don’t intend on buying it. Let’s buy a tent when we decide on camping again one day.

LZ c : ‘One day very, very, very far in the future, dearest.’

TH : ‘I just want to look at it, not buy it.’

LZ : ‘I know you well by now. If you go to the shop, you’re going to buy it’. :rtm: :naughty:

TH : ‘It is a once in a lifetime deal, you know’…

LZ c : (Faking sleep)…

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The next day…

TH : ‘How are you feeling today?... I’m very concerned. It seems that you are allergic to the antibiotics. Heard you going to the loo 20 times during the night. Are you ok?’

LZ c : ‘Grmpff… :evil: Is that a rhetorical question or what? Can’t he see that the second wife is on the horizon? Or maybe he can?... :hmz: :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ : ‘I feel as if I’m going to die. If I’m not better tonight, I’ll need to see the doctor’.

TH : ‘I’ll be back soon…’

LZ : ‘Where are you off to?’

LZ c : ‘Where do you think you are off to, leaving me here to die?’ :evil: :rtm:

TH : I’m going to M*&^o, to check out the tent. I just want to look at it…

LZ c : (Stumped) Probably feel it, touch it, inspect it, buy it... Gmpff.

LZ : ‘Let me come with, I need to get out of the house’.

TH : ‘Huh, are you sure you’re up to it?’

LZ c : ‘Oh yes, I’m up to it. :twisted: :twisted: Wild horses would not drag me away. If I go with, I won’t allow you to buy the tent and come home like you always do and tell me ‘I bought US a present. I mean to say, how many usses are there? When you bought me the camping lamp for my birthday?’ :evil: :twisted: :tongue:

LZ : ‘I don’t think so :doh: :roll: , but let’s go’.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

An hour later, back home safely…

TH : ‘Wow, I like this tent, and you?’

LZ c : ‘Just looking at it makes me feel even sicker. :whistle: :whistle: Out of my waaaay… I need the looooooo'.

LZ : ‘I suppose it doesn’t look too bad…’

TH : ‘It sleeps seven…’

LZ c : ‘He wants to invite the second, third and fourth prospective wife with. Silence is golden, so shut up and get rich…’

LZ c : ‘Yeah, you wish, Dolla’…

TH : ‘Lil’ One, come and help Papa erect this tent…’

LO : ‘Oooooh, this is coooool. I can’t wait till we can go camping one day…’

LZ c : ‘Ohhhh, please release me, let me die…’

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

25 minutes later, and the Oom has perused the instruction manual from back to front, middle to front, and back to middle… :twisted: :twisted:

An hour later, the tent is erected in the backyard…

TH : ‘Come and have a look, ou vrou (old wife), the tent is up and it is marvelous. Whoop-whoop.

LZ c : ‘Yeah, right. As if I can walk properly. Just looking at it makes me feel sick. Out of my waaaay… I need the looooo’.

LZ : ‘It doesn’t look too bad…’ :roll: :wall: :wall:

TH : ‘It sleeps seven…’

LZ c : ‘Really? Wow, share something meaningful with me for a change. Like where’s the Spa, dishwasher, porta-shower, porta-potty, mattresses…’

TH : ‘Phewwwt, the Lil’ One is a real camper. She assisted me…’

LZ c : ‘Now he’s unduly influenced the poor innocent soul. That’s not nice…’

LZ : ‘Ohhhh, that’s good…’

LO : ‘Oooooh, this is coooool. I can’t wait till we can go camping one day…’

LZ c : ‘Ohhhh, make way…. I need to runnnnnnnnnnnn…’

Last edited by Elzet on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hugh! :redface: :redface: Spot on. (Pun not intended!) :naughty: :tongue:

I'm gonna get to the Porta-thing-a-magics shortly. :thumbs_up: Or let me rather say, the absence thereof. :roll: :slap:

-------

Now here I need to take you back 57 years ago… :twisted: :tongue: when the Oom was born. It is quite common that twins cause calcium and mineral deficiencies to their companions in the uterus. His late Dad also had a bad back. So it is in the genes too. :doh:

For a few weeks now TH has been battling with his bad back. So we bought a new desk chair for the study. But he prefers to sit on the old one that messes up his back. :wall: :wall: This resulted in him experiencing back problems waaay before we left… :doh: In fact, he started to walk like a crab… :lol: Perhaps he took the ‘Serve Elzet, I must serve Elzet’ motto that reigned in our household for weeks on end too seriously? :redface: 8)

----

TH was veeeeeeery happy with his newly purchased tent. Our ol’ blue 2-men honeymoon tent completely forgotten in one of our cupboards. In fact, he was so chuffed with it (more chuffed than the day that I agreed to his hand in marriage) :tongue: , that he erected the tent again the next day. :doh: And bought air mattresses to die for. And a pump to inflate them. Which he promptly did in our lounge. :lol: :roll:

In the meantime, I was admitted to Emergency Admissions at hospital. Severe antibiotics reaction.

And then he proceeded to post the tent in the camping thread... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41439&start=345 - Camping Equipment for Serious Wildlife Lovers.

Which necessitated correction by yours truly. Warning TH of what was to come....

But did he listen? Say what??!! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The night before our departure I was still sure that I wasn’t going to make it. Not the camping and not otherwise. 's true.

TH frenetically packed camping gear, and everything else. I was only responsible for LO’s bag and mine. But did I do this? No, instead I went to wound care, spent time with my Mom, on the Forum, and then quickly threw a few things into my bag.

And then the morning of our departure arrived….

TH : ‘Good morning, rise and shine. The lions are roaring in the Park. Here’s your coffee, Darling, the bath is ready’.

LZ c : ‘My, put a damper on it, ol’ Boy’.

LZ : ‘Suppose I need to get up. What time is it?’

LZ c : ‘Shucks, I feel as if I was hit by a train. Probably 03:30 in the morn, and he said there’s no rush…’.

TH : ’03:30. The tub is getting cold…’ :?

LZ c : (Words and thoughts failed me at this stage)…

LO : ‘Awesome! I’m missing school and we are going camping…’ :dance: :dance:

LZ c : ‘Ohhhh no, the Oom’s enthusiasm is contagious.’ :slap:

LZ : ‘Yep, Sweethearts, isn’t it just wonderful?’

LZ c : Brace, brace, brace!

-----

Three short hours later… :redface: :redface:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

TH : ‘06:20 and we’re leaving Pretoria behind. It took us quite some time to get ready for our departure…’

LZ c : ‘Yeah, right. You can remove that blameful tone from your voice now’. Procrastination is king in my framework. :twisted: :tongue: '

LZ : ‘Yep, packing for camping is not the same as packing for a bungalow stay…’ :roll: :redface:

TH : 'I can't wait to camp again. And you? The tent sleeps seven (Micetta, this one's for you. :twisted: :twisted: ). There's going to be ample space for all our needs...'

LO : 'I can't wait either'. :dance:

LZ c : :wall: :slap: :wall: :slap: Say what??!! :tongue:

Last edited by Elzet on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A couple of hours later, and after our regular breakfast stop at Milly's, our emergency stop in Nelspruit to purchase important stuff that I've left behind :redface: :redface: , we were at the Malelane Gate…

TH : ‘Lovelies, we are here! Oooooh, I can't wait to pitch that seven men tent.’ :dance: :dance:

OL : ‘It’s so gooood to be back.’ :dance: :dance:

LZ : ‘It’s good to be back.’ :dance: :dance:

LZ c : ‘It really is good to be back. :dance: :dance: Just a pity about the seven men tent thing…’ :doh: :wall:

The impala lilies at the Gate amplified our return.

And then we were on our way to BnD, our first camping spot…

We were fortunate enough to see rhino, elephant and baboons on the way.

And then we were at BnD...

TH : ‘I’ll quickly go and check us in…’

LZ c : ‘Check in? Check in? You mean tell them we are here…’

LO : ‘Wait for me, Papa… I’m coming with. Yoo-hoo!...’

LZ : ‘I’m coming with. Want to see if there is something at the dam’.

With sore feet and a weak system, I followed them at a distance. :tongue:

And there was something at the dam. One gigantic, lazy hippo, enjoying an afternoon snooze.

LZ c : 'All I want to do is to get to the bungalow as soon as possible to flop down on the bed and take a nap'.

LZ c : 'Say what??!!'

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elzet wrote:
Now here I need to take you back 57 years ago… :twisted: :tongue: when the Oom was born. It is quite common that twins cause calcium and mineral deficiencies to their companions in the uterus. His late Dad also had a bad back. So it is in the genes too. :doh:

Is this a medical thread now as well and what is this age thing all about? :doh: :lol:

Elzet wrote:
This resulted in him experiencing back problems waaay before we left… :doh: In fact, he started to walk like a crab… :lol:

WHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!... I walk like a crab, but I only started walking like that the evening in B&D after pitching the seven man tent! :tongue: :lol:

Herewith my version of events unfolding:

TH : 'Oh wow, the new 7 man tent is up and it is looking great!'... :dance:

LO : 'Papa, I'm sleeping on the single mattress!!'...
:dance:
TH : 'No, Papa will sleep on it and you and Mama can sleep on the double mattress...it's too small for both Mama and me'... 8)

TH c: 'What's up with my back, it's hurting and won't straighten up!'...
:shock:
TH : Hey LZ, my back feels a bit stiff'... :roll:

LZ : You look like a question mark when standing up my dear and you walk like a crab,hahahaha!'... :lol: :lol:

TH c : Well, I've got news for you, if my back keeps on getting worse, you and the LO will have to do all the camping chores by yourself and I'm going to sit in this chair the whole trip!'...
:twisted: :twisted:
TH : 'Don't you worry now, I'm tough and it feels much better now!'... :tongue: :thumbs_up:

LO : 'Papa, I will inflate the mattresses quickly!'.... :D

TH : 'Good idea, just be careful not to puncture them'...
:shock:
LZ : 'Wow, I think this camping trip was a great idea, the tent and everything looks so homey!'... :dance: :dance:

TH : 'Yeah LZ, this is what the bush experience is supposed to be, lekker close and down to earth!'... :thumbs_up:

TH c : 'I'm really glad that the family are getting into the camping vibe!'.................... :clap:

Last edited by TheunsH on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Same day, five minutes later…

The so-called ‘check-in’ went very smoothly. In fact, they only made sure we have paid upfront for the seven men tent camping spot. Nothing to ‘check-into’ at this stage, you know.

On our way to the caravan camp (which accommodates tents that sleep seven men too), monkeys were all over the place.

LZ c : I can swear those monkeys are looking at me whilst falling of the fence, ROFLTHO. They can probably see the concerned expression on my face and feel the vibrations in my voice.

TH : ‘Wow, wow! Is this a nice camping site or what? Our seven men tent will look good here’.

LZ c : :whistle: :whistle:

TH : ‘So where shall we pitch the seven men tent?’

LZ c : ‘It doesn’t matter, it’s gonna suck anyway’.

LZ, now veeeeeery comfortably sitting on one of those green benches : ‘Perhaps a bit of shade for the afternoon sun, a bit of sun for the cold night, no, a little to the left, a little to the right, a bit closer to the fence, no, too close, back a little, no, I’d say closer to the bench, where’s my coke, I need it for the stomach, you know, no, not level enough, forward, forward, no, backwards, backwards… I don’t think this is the right spot’.

LO : ‘Oooooooooh, Papa, I’ll help you. Mama, we’ve practised this at home. The two of us can erect the tent in 25 minutes.’

LZ c : ‘Sweet love of mine, I’m happy that you are going to school. You can count. Indeed only TWO will be erecting the tent, whilst Mama will sit back and enjoy the view and drink her Coke and order you TWO around’.

LZ c : ‘Ok, they’re looking good. Making progress. I want a snooze’.

LZ : ‘So when will I be able to lie down for my vital snooze? I’m feeling a bit … err, pooped.’

TH : ‘Ooooouch, that was my thumb!’.

LZ c : 'Serves you right'. :tongue:

LZ c : ‘ :hmz: I wonder why he is walking like a crab? I hope he hasn’t hurt his back again. That might entail that I’ll have to do the dishes, the pitching, the pumping, the packing...’

LZ : ‘You two Lovelies of mine are doing a splendid job. Keep it up! I want another Coke please.’

LO : ‘Huffing-and-puffing’, whilst pumping up the two mattresses in the seven men tent.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Chappies, happy that you are enjoying my improvisation of a happy time. :lol: :roll: :tongue:

Micetta, the Oom is alive and well (except for his back). Just... :twisted: :tongue:

-----

So eventually the seven men tent was pitched, ready for my inspection and further instructions.

LZ c : 'Hmmm, it doesn't look too bad after all. Perhaps it will be nicer than I initially contemplated?'. :roll:

LZ : 'It doesn't look too bad' :| .

TH and LO : 'Wow, our seven men tent is looking good'. :dance: :dance:

TH : 'I always wanted to camp again, and you?' :hmz:

LO : 'Me too, me too. This is a beeeeeeg adventure'. :dance: I just don't like the Ninja Monkeys in camp ...' (Beginning of July a monkey in Tambotie 'confronted' the LO. At that stage she thought she might need to resort to a few karate techniques in self-defence...)

LZ c : ' :wall: :wall: Whatever...' :roll: :tongue:

LZ c : 'Taking charge, giving instructions and sitting on the bench for an hour have exhausted me. I'm lethargic. I need to sit and relax and then a snooze.'

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TH : ‘My Queen, the tent is ready for you. Take a nice, long nap. I can see you are not feeling well’…

LZ c : ‘My King of Seven Men Tent Camping, tell me something I don’t know’.

LZ c : ‘Oh-oh, I think it’s time to visit the ablutions opposite the road’.

LZ : ‘Going to the loo. LO, you wanna come with’.

LO : ‘Oh yes, Mommy dearest, I want to check it out. It looks coooool’. :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap:

LZ c : ‘Gmpff’. :wall: :wall:

So we headed for the ablutions…

And came across a kill in camp...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

... buzzard. (I think. :roll: ) He was clearly so involved in getting the poor lizard that he did not hear us coming. Well, actually, I crept along and the LO was skippin' and a jumpin' with excitement. Places to go, places to see, places to conquer is her motto in life. :roll:

He made a dash for the nearest tree with the prey in its talons. My heart and something else made a dash for it too. :shock: :big_eyes: :roll: :tongue:

The buzzard enjoyed its meal.

The wriggling tail made the LO and I green.

On a serious note, it was amazing to witness this tail wriggling and lashing about for at least five minutes after the kill took place. I felt very sorry for the poor lizard, but realised the buzzard had to have lunch.

(The tail was still there the next morn'. Seems nothing else wanted it. Not even the ants.) :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elzet wrote:
.... it was much, much worse! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Nah, just joking. Image

The ablutions were in pristine condition. :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: In fact, it would be a great idea for other camps to follow BnD's example. They have a roster in the ablutions where the cleaner must sign on the hour that she has inspected and cleaned the ablutions, and at odd times the supervisor checks on the facilities and sign the register off. :clap: :clap:

LZ c : 'You need to get into a horizontal position a-sap'.

LZ c : 'Ok, ok, do you never shut up!? :evil: :oops: , I realised that I was talking to myself. :twisted: :tongue: Here I go'.

LZ : 'I'm gonna take a much needed and loooong overdue nap. *Two heavy sighs to be added here *. Whose joining me?'.

LO : 'Not me. I like it too much here to sleep Mama. :dance: :dance: '

TH : 'Sleep well, my Queen. This tent is as comfortable as a bungalow. :dance: :thumbs_up:

LZ c : 'Say what??!!'

I flopped onto the mattress, which the LO has inflated to perfection. It was good... errr... I mean, it was tolerable. The sound of the bush next to the tent, the birds and the bees, the squirrels imitating the birds and the bees, if you follow my drift. It was not too bad.

I had a nightmare that the Oom suggested that we should go camping, and that he actually convinced me to do so, and even worse, that I was sleeping in a tent.

But then my legs were on fire. It was scorching hot.

I awoke in the seven man tent, only to realise that it was the sun's rays that were streaming in through the flap, heating up my l-e-g-s.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

After a cup of cold coffee from the morn's flask, we set out to Matjulu Waterhole. We thought about March when we met the mystery Cricket Weekend guests, the beloved Prings family there. Low and behold, the same rhinos were around.

Mr Majestic was now much closer to the road than on our way in to the Waterhole.

What amazing animals elephants are? :clap: :clap:

The sun started to kiss the tips of the Matjulu range goodbye, and darkness was setting in as we entered camp.

I decided to visit the shop. Anything to stall a return to the seven men tent. :tongue: The Oom saw a genet in the parking area. The LO and I saw nothing. :?

That night we had a feast under the stars. As always, it was so goooood to be back in Kruger. :dance: :dance: :dance:

At bedtime...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next