Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: big5spotter-A Break-away during the soccer-June 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I decided its time again for another TR from me but as always not allot of writing,I like when the pics tell the story.

We were in KNP from the 5-16 June.Stayed 6 nights in Lower Sabie and then went on to BnD for another 5 nights.This was basically my last long KNP trip with my family.HOPEFULLY by the end of this year I will have my Bcomm Logistics degree and I will be starting to work full time so it wont be soon till I have such a nice and long trip with my parents and brother again :(

I will do the 1ste installment later tonight. Allot of pics comming :popcorn:

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Post subject: Re: A Break-away during the soccer
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone sorry for the late reply

Ok so we left JHB on the 5th of June early morning.We got to Croc bridge around half past 1.The 1ste drive up to camp did not provide great sightings but we were glad to be back.The to be new gate at Croc bridge looks very nice.We took the idea of the nations flag and made ourselves a nice yellow ribbon.I think my mom did an amazing job in making it.

And we found Richprins but he looked so sad.Anyway stay tuned the sightings just gets better and better. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone next installment has arrived

DAY 2 06 June

The morning drive we traveled down to croc bridge for some coffee and rusks and then we usually travel back to camp and make breakfast.

About half way down we came across some cars and they say their were some hyena in the road so we waited a while coz we can see them but only now and then and they very far until almost everyone left and what did they do?they came back to the road.

We saw they usual game during the day.At around 4 we decided to do the afternoon drive.Just as we left camp we saw some cars near sunset dam and we thought they just standing their watching the view but no 3 sub adult lions were on the wall on the right hand side toward sunset dam just as you leave LS camp.

After the lions we decided to go over the low water bridge and we saw n BBJ in the road all to ourself and a beautiful sunset enjoy

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry for the delay.The next installment has arrived.Sighting of the day for me was the rhino's in the mud.Was on the Gomodwane loop near LS.Worst sighting was the baboon with plastic bag.We also saw allot of sub adult ellies (The trouble maker teenagers).

Hippo fan a taster just for you but not the sighting I was talking about earlier,its still coming.

A few pics of our campsite and whats Kruger without a nice fire?Simply awesome.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ lion queen : not the best pic but ja

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good Day all. This installment is not so long it was my worst day in KNP ever.I was so sick.The day started off ok me feeling a bit off but ok.As the day went on I just kept feeling worse.On our way back to camp I got sick in the car and had to stop next to the road and ya.Got back to camp I cant keep any pills down cant even lift my head without getting sick.Anyway next day I was feeling much better and believe me the boring part of our trip is over wait for the next installment its .... :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all this will be done in 2 part but will post them straight after each other bit in 2 posts.

Part 1

I woke up feeling much better but still not 100% and we decided to leave camp around 7 so I can be fit to drive and all,when we normally leave 15min after gate opening.Today we have decided to go to Skukuza have coffee and rusks and drive back to LS and have like a brunch. WHAT A DAY

Just before the High water bridge we saw 2 cars parked one on each side of the road both switched off and looking up :shock:

We looked and found the impala in the tree but NO leopard :( they said they have been there for a while but the leopard was away now for 30min.We decided well we will stay for a while.After another 30min no leopard we decided to press the meter and go have coffee and come back.We left

G@mespotter next for you

Not even 200m LOL we could still see the few cars in the mirrors at impala in tree when these 5 painted predators came from now where out of the bush into the road and we the only ones their on the N1.They ran infront of us and by the pics you can see fresh from a kill some even had blood on their bodies and their feet full off blood and sand :mrgreen: we followed then for about 2km when 1 car came from the front and as fast as they came out they were back into the bush.What a sighting WOW.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 2

After we had coffee and rusks we decided to go back to the Impala in the tree.We did measure it but we were slightly off coz we went onto a dirt road at the bridge (check map) hoping the dogs will return on it anyway we were off very excited hoping to see allot of cars, not that we like it but then we will see hopefully the leopard.

We drove and the km we jsut about right but how cant we get the right spot,but we were looking at the bushes next to the road and my brother said dad I think we are past it we were doing like 5km p/h.We stopped and started to reverse when mom yelled "their is the leopard their it is in the tree" no other car around what a sighting again on the busies road in KNP LIT with kill no other cars around WOW its not even 11am yet.As we were alone we took a nice spot where we can see it and not block or take the sighting to ourself. Took loads of pics as the leopard ate and all.Few cars arrived and after around 20-30min it got up and went to a new spot in the tree where its not so visible so we left.(Later that day someone said they saw it and I said ya we spotted it his reply OH so you are the guys causing the traffic jam) They saw it late the afternoon so it was their the whole day.

Had brunch or well by that time lunch.Rest of the day was a bit calmer.
I got the best bateleur pic I have ever shot.WOW to me the pic ot the day.Just look at the red.(I dont edit any of my pics not even contrast,I believed in I keep it the way I shot it)

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks guys LOL was same day just didnt post it just for you hippo-fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Next installment finally here :redface:

My goal for our trip was seeing a LIT but not one where there is cars or where there is n kill in the tree or where someone told you to go one where we drive and I spot it but also not to easy like in a dead tree I like a challenge.

Ok we decided to travel the H10 to tshokwane have breakfast and come back via the H1-2 and H4-1.About 5km on the H10 we got 5 hyena in the road.We saw lions on the H1-2 at Mantimahle dam but they were a bit far even for a 500mm lens and did not get any good pics as you can see. The rest of the road was a bit dead.Around 8km from lower sabie we just passed a car and just as we drove on I just said I got it I got it.As I switch on my camera I said get ready while my dad reverse and the pics will tell the rest.....

In about 10 min 30cars 15min 40 cars got so bad we left.People blocking us in others mouning waving hands finger signals we are like where do you want us to go?Anyway we left and later that day someone told me people started hooting and shouting at each other :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

We got out traffic jam finally and went to camp.I was a happy man believe me.Later that day we took the H4-1 up to nkulu and guess what we saw?Another leopard and her cub.Very small cub.Just excuse the bad pics and very bad pics of the cub the light was really bad.Anyway just enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Finally the next installment has arrived. Broken Pc me being sick believe me was not that fun.

Today we traveled from LS to BnD. Via Skukuza down past afsaal to BnD.

Hippo fan here is your hippo :tongue:
Our car and tailor was packed we left around 7. At the leopard and cub of the previous afternoon their were a few cars and on our way there one idiot passed us like we were looking for parking and we were doing bout 40-45km/h at the leopard sighting he was out of his car.Unfortunately we didnt see the 2 leopards again. We didnt have great sightings to skz around granotkop that idiot passed us again flying :huh: :huh: :rtm: :rtm: Anyway our next nice sighting was the mating lions on the S110 tar. We got to camp pitched the tents and me and my brother left for a drive hoping to find the lions again.Around 2km from their I stopped a guy and he said they are on the other side of the road in a ditch ah well not even 1km on 2 females right next to the road only 1 car so they must have been their for 5 minutes and after bout 20 min we left and found the mating ones in the ditch.

Enjoy the pics :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Today was our first full day at BnD.

We saw those same mating lions at pretty much the same spot. But today they were in the road. We have almost always seen mating lions on the S110 tar road. We traveled the Gardenia hide and to afsaal via James waterhole. Didnt have great sightings the rest of the day but its not always about the sightings now is it? :tongue: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Next installment has arrived.

Today we decided to go from BnD to afsaal from there on the voortrekker road and eat brunch at P kop and what a great decision it was. Just before matjulu bridge we were in a mahoosive traffic jam.Some ladies were tanning in the river bed.Did not get nice pics the light was bad.Went on,We did not see much for the rest of the way there but about 1km from the end of the voortrekker road came these 2 big boys.Probably the biggest and prettiest ones I have ever seen.I just could not stop :cam: .Later that day I saw another 2 lions just before the turn onto the S110 tar again light very bad I did not take allot of pics thought its the same lions we have seen for the past 2 days until I got to camp and compare pics and saw the 1 male had a scar on his nose and the other one not.

Anyway enjoy the pics :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone thanks for all the great replies and very sorrrry for the looooong wait.I had tests and assignments at varsity and all that out of the way here is the last installment. And on that note we booked and paid another trip already for the 14-18th October at croc bridge cant wait.

Last full day in the park and what a day 4 different lion sightings in one morning. Starting with a male and 2 females on the tar S110 just before the road to malelane camp.Next up with a huge traffic jam.Look where the JJ is parked in the 1ste traffic pic and a pic or 2 on we were next to him but stil far. By far the worst I have been in. There were 3 cubs and 3 females and while we were their we could hear a lion roaring not to far finally the people moved and we were through going in the males direction 200m on we found him with very few cars and we had a better view of the other 6 just a tad to far.Was at matjulu bridge.On our way to afsaal another male in the grass very hard to see.And finally 3 females on the S25 just past Lukimbi Safaricamp.All before 11am.Did not see much els but who cares with a morning like that.Next morning left camp and now we are preparing and almost packing for our next trip till then cheers.

Enjoy!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]