Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Magic Guarri-Back to the roots-Apr 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Hi everyone!!
I cannot believe that I will be back in South Africa in one week!!!! Today in one week we will be back on the road again Image

I have still a lot of work to do, but I thought today is a good day to start my first TR!!!! :dance: :dance: It´s very exciting for me and I hope, I will do a good job :pray: I will also tell you some things with this report, for example why I chose the name Magic Guarri :hmz: :wink:

Our trip will start in J´burg! We will stay with a very very nice forum member and I am really really looking forward to meet more members of this fantastic big family :clap: After 5 days we will leave J´burg and drive to St. Lucia. There we will stay for another 3 weeks to visit friends, do some safari, look for the hippos and crocs in and around St. Lucia or relax at Cape Vidal! :D After St. Lucia we will have another highlight of this trip, 2 weeks Kruger Nationalpark!!!!! And with that visit, we will bring Little Satara back to his roots :D

So I will start this report with the place, were this story has its beginning:

Satara Camp, July 2008

Here one of our friendly neighbours :lol:

But not only I, Stefan and Little Satara is very excited about our trip! Here are two guys how also cannot wait to come back to their roots!!!

Little Sataras best friends Ryan and Malmen

Now the countdown is running and I am sure, that Little Satara will do his first footsteps alone during that trip!

I gave me a present myself that I can go online during our trip so that I can post our sightings. But I will also send Katja SMS about our sightings that she can post it, hopefully she will be online soon again :pray:

Thats for now, I hope you all will enjoy my first TR and I am looking forward to meet some of you somewhere in the park :D

I wish you and your families a Image

PLEASE NO HOTELS in KNP and PLEASE don´t change KNP into a Funpark!

KNP - Eyes and tracks behind the bush

Post subject: Re: Back to the roots
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Hi everyone!! Image

Thank you michel367, Sprocky, MM, Foxy, Rookie2009, Shi, Stu, KTF hooked, billyf, anne-marie, Mellory, Elsa, margriet, Sanpfan, JJ and salamanda for your kind words and wishes! That really means a lot for me!!!!

Sprocky, I am also looking forward to meet you!!!

MM, I am sure we all will have a wonderful time in Satara :dance: :dance:

Shi, Ryan cannot wait to meet you BS!!! :lol:

billyf, I am sorry, but we won´t stay at Letaba! Maybe a Little Sabie :redface: :dance:

margriet, yes, time was really running very, very fast :dance: !!! I am also looking forward to meet you in Satara!!!

There are already again some days gone and the day we will leave is coming closer and closer :dance: :dance: :dance:

Few months ago, I was thinking what can I use for our Yellow Ribbon. It must be something special!!! :hmz: :hmz: But what???
Than I had to change Little Sataras nappy and suddenly I found my Yellow Ribbon!!!! :lol: :lol: It´s really special, you can put it easy on the mirror and I am sure, nobody else will have it :wink:

And here is our big baby, a SANI he´s ready to go and waiting for us! :D

I still started packing but I am not sure if I will get all the stuff in my bags :hmz:

Yesterday I got a precipitate birthday prestent from my Stefan a Telekonverter for my Canon!! So :naughty: cats be careful, I will see and catch you!!!! :D

My wishlist is very long but on the top there are the Sabels, Honeybadger, Pangolin and of courste Cats, Cats, Cats :D

So, that´s for now!
Karin

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Good evening everyone!
Thank you Pumbaa, Micetta and Spotted Cat for your kind wishes!!!

Today I will tell you, why I chose the name Magic Guarri!

Here are some leaves of a Magic Guarri tree:

The Zulu people use the branches as a toothbrush, BUT they also say that this tree has magical power! So if you see a Magic Guarri tree, take one leaf and have a wish, for example to see a leopard! We tried it first on a trip in 2005 and it really worked! We saw a cheetah femal and her 4 cubs which was really very very nice and special! Whenever I see a Magic Guarri I remember that moment with the cheetahs and sometimes I take a leaf and have a wish :D :wink:
I always have this three leaves in my pocket and they are working nearly every trip!

Today I had to go to the doc again because of my foot. But he gave me his okay for our holiday :dance: :dance:

So bye for today!

Karin

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone!!!
THANK YOU all again for your kind wishes!!! Now I am very very excited and its also time for me to say goodbye!
We packed all our stuff which was really a lot, especially for Little Satara. But we got everything so thats fine. We will have a traditional Bavarian Lunch at my parents house and THAN.....we will be on the road to the airport Image :dance: :dance: :dance:

@Mads, here are the details of our stay in KNP!
01.05. - 03.05. / Crocodile Bridge
03.05. - 05.05. / Lower Sabie
05.05. - 09.05. / Satara
09.05. - 11.05. / Skukuza
11.05. - 15.05. / Berg en Dal

Hopefully we can meet each other somewhere in the park. You can PM me, I will check my PMs!

But now it´s time to say goodbye Image

Have a wonderful time!
Karin

Unread postPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone!
I will just inform you about our first day in KNP! :D
We arrived yesterday after a long drive, with some problems :wink: and the arrivel in Crocodile Bridge was a real adventure!!!! :shock:
BUT, the day started with an amazing sighting!!!!!!!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: WILDDOGS!!! My first here in KNP but my third wilddog sighting in the last 2 weeks!! :dance:

At the moment we are sitting in front of our Bungalow, close to the fence and listening to the sounds of the bush which are really amazing!! We had a lovely Braai and are now enjoying some cold Black Label :dance: :dance:

We will leave tomorrow to go to Lower Sabie to find some Lions :wink:

More details and pics about our trip in 2 weeks when we will be back at home!!

Have a great week!
Karin

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ImageHi everyone!
We are back in a very cold Germany! I am still shocked about the temperatures here!!! Image
The winter in South Africa is much warmer than the summer here in Germany!! :big_eyes:

We had a wonderful trip with lots of amazing sightings!!! We had nearly everything and had another great sightings of hunting wilddogs in Kruger! Wonderful lion sightings and my first LIT near Berg en Dal! But the trip had not a good end, I got some things stolen in Berg en Dal and I am still very upset about that!

But therefore we will come back, hopefully very soon :pray:

I will start my TR in the next days, just need the moment to start it!

For now, 2 pics to warm up a little bit :wink:

Beautiful sunrise near BnD! I will never forget that moment!

Karin

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good evening everyone!!
Thank you all for your kind comments and wishes!!!

@Sprocky, it was also for us great to meet you!!!! And I hope to see you soon again on Shi´s farm :wink:

@Katja, I have to say YES, there were 3 for me very important things, which are gone now!! ...and I can never buy them again :cry: :cry:

But we got the sleeping bag from Little Satara back :dance: :dance:

At the moment, we are sitting outside, enjoying the sounds of the bavarian bush and having some nice Marillen Schnaps :D
So I thought, that is the right moment now, to start my TR :dance: :dance:

First I will give you some impressions from our 3 weeks stay in St. Lucia. We had a wonderful time there! On our first trip into the park, Little Satara was playing with his toy, a giraffe with the name Sophia! Suddenly a big giraffe male was crossing the road. LS was looking to Sophia - than looking to the big one on the road - and his eyes became bigger and bigger! That was so cute! He loves the African Wildlife, especially the elephants and giraffes! :wink: :D

In the next installment I will tell you about our drive to Kruger and our arrivel! Both was really a big adventure especially when we came to the Crocodile Bridge and when we came to the border In Swaziland :dance: :D

Have a ncie evening and I hope you will enjoy my TR!

Karin

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ImageHi everyone!
Again, I am sitting outside and enjoy the Bavarian sunset! :D I will be away for 2 days so I thought its time for the next episode from our trip!

But before, THANK YOU Elzet, melph, Lionspoon, Katja, JustNature, KTF hooked, Micetta, MM and Alex for your feedback!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It was really amazing for us to see, how interested our little boy was in the African Wildlife! BUT, when we had a great sighting, he was more interested into the cars around :big_eyes: :D

We had the last days in St. Lucia and it was time to buy all the stuff for KNP! So we went to Richardsbay. We spent a long time in the Supermarket and when we were at the cash point I noticed a couple behind me. They were very worried and asekd me " :big_eyes: OH!!! Your baby must be very hungry!!" I was looking to the band-conveyor had had to laught!!!! We bought about 100 different classes of Baby food for our 2 weeks stay in KNP. I told them "Oh yes, he is, but that stuff is for our trip to Kruger". :D

Than the day was there to say "Good bye" to our friends in St. Lucia! :cry: And we started our long drive to Kruger! Little Satara was not amused to sit in the car again for such a long time! After 2 hours we came to the border to Swaziland and we had no problems to come in. After another 3 hours we thought the next border must be there soon, because it was late afternon and we had to drive to Crocodile Bridge. We drove over a mountain and I thought about the area "did we came accross that mountain last time?" We didn´t know. Than suddenly the border was there - it looked a little bit different to last time, but we were to tiered to think about that! We got our stamps and the Lady was flirtting with Little Satara! :D Like every girl did!!!
Than Stefan asked the Lady, where do we go, when we will pass the border. And the Lady answerd :slap: :slap: "to Mozambique of course" "Oh no" :slap: :slap: :slap: "We don´t want to go to Mozambique, we want to go back to South Africa" :big_eyes: We got our stamps for the entry back and with :redface: :redface: we got back to the car to drive to South Africa!

At 5 pm we arrived at the Bridge, Crocodile Bridge! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: The bridge was flooded but no sign that its not allowed to pass it! Than 2 cars, one Pickup and one Minibus arrived on the other side of the bridge. We waited if they want to pass it! They did! First the Pickup and than we saw how deep the water was! The Pickup passed the bridge without big problems but the Minubus died off with a big dark cloud coming out of the engine when he arrived on our side! So now, it was our turn! It was not easy because we couldn´t see the bridge but we got it!! Stefan did a really good job but he was definitely ready for his first Black Label :D

We checked in and drove to our Bungalow which was directly at the fence :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

One hour later it was time for Little Satara to go to bed! He was also very tiered and felt asleep very early!
So time for Mommy and Daddy to have a nice braai :D :D :D
After a while a saw something black on the ground in our kitchen. It was a huge Dung Beetle! We left him and enjoyed the sounds of the bush! Suddenly I saw something brown on the ground in our kitchen!! :big_eyes: It was a frog, watching the Dung Beetle! I was worried about the Beetle, so I rescued him from the frog and put him back to the bush! I didn´t want the first kill in my kitchen :tongue:
After a few minutes the first hyaena came to the fence, watching us "can I have dinner with you?" We said " :naughty: :naughty: no sorry for you" :D (next day we had a big hole under our fence, but that is another story :D )

After the braai, we went to bed, because I booked my first Morning Drive and I was very excited and of course - I couldn´t sleep! :D

At 5:10 am I went to the meeting point. Nobody was there! After a while 5 more people came and we were waiting together for the Guide! But the Guide didn´t come :shock: Then I saw someone in the Reception and asked him where the Guide was? He phoned him - the Guide had oversleep! :slap: Okay....could happen!

When he came, the one Lady was very upset and spoke with him! He was not happy and I felt sorry for him! Than he asked us, what we want to see! "Lion, Lion only Lion!!" For me, it didn´t matter I just want to go into the bush! But of course, I also would be very happy to see lions :D :wink:

Than the moment was there!!! The gate opened very slowly and we drove through :dance: :dance: For me it was a very emotional moment and for the first minutes I couldn´t see anything because of big tears running down my face! As some of you know, I am closed built to water :D

We were on the tar road on the way to Lower Sabie. All what we saw were Impalas, more Impalas and lots of *edit*on the road!

But than we saw that:

continuance on Friday :dance:

Last edited by Dotty on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offensive language

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Hi everyone!
It´s a wonderful Friday today, the sun is shining and I had a wonderful ride outside in the Bavarian Bush with my new horse I am allowed to ride! He´s big like an elephant and it was really an amzing feeling to fly with him :dance: :D :wink:

Katja, Shi, Sylvia, melph, FC, MM, Lionspoon, Micetta, Baffers, Toddelelfe, KTF hooked, Pumbaa, Alex, Crested Barbet and K10 - THANK YOU ALL for your kind feedback!!! It was really amazing for us to see the bush with the eyes of a one year old child! :D

But now, back to the wilddog :dance:

We were on the tarroad on the way to Lower Sabie. Than the guide turned left. It was still a little bit to dark to take great pics. We came to a bridge and a dry riverbed. An impala was on the bridge and suddenly she fell down. That looked very funny, the impala was busy to get up again and moved with her group into the bush. Than we were watching around and from one secon to the other the situation changed complete. :big_eyes: I heared only one word coming out of my moth: "WILDDOGS!" There were 2 wilddogs running towards us hunting for the impalas. That all happened so quickly that I only could take these pic! Then they disappeared into the bush and made their kill. That was definitely better than every lion but I was still hoping that we also will find some cats :D

I was still fascinated because of the dog sighting that I nearly forgot to take pics from the other animals which crossed our way :D

Here some more impressions from my morning drive in Crocodile Bridge:

Thats for today. Next installment I will tell you about "Little Satara is making special friends" :D :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our morning drive came to an end! We saw no lions but the drive was wonderful for me!! The other guests were very disappointed that we saw no lions but for me, it was so wonderful to be back! :D

When we passed the gate I saw Stefan and Little Satara standing there to wait for Mommy! When LS saw the "Big BrumBrum" his eyes got bigger and bigger!! And than :big_eyes: there is Mommy on the BrumBrum and he was smiling about the whole face! We went back to our Bungalow and on the way Stefan told me about LS´s new friends! They were still around our Bungalow waiting for us :D A Warthog Family were digging a big hole under the fence in front of our Bungalow!!! :shock: The youngsters were very interested into Little Satara and came closer and closer! You can imagine the face from our little boy :D Than I think the mother was the distance too close and she and her youngsters went away always busy feeding on the green gras :D

Little warthog saying "hello" to Little Satara :D

Busy feeding and looking for Little Satara - that was really cute!

After a while and a lovely breakfast and hot Amarula Coffee, Mommy was ready for the next trip! But also the boys were ready for the first adventure in KNP! LS was standing on the veranda looking for his new friends and I think I can read in his eyes "Mommy, please, can you show me more!!" :D

And Mommy said "Of course my boy, let´s go" :dance:

When we passed the gate again, it was for Stefan and also for me a very emotional moment! Now our Kruger Adventure with our Little Boy began! What will we see? Will he like the bush? ....
I decided to take the same roads we drove on our morning drive. Maybe we will see the dogs again? No, sorry, we had no luck with the dogs. But with lots of other sightings! Than we took the sand road to Dukes waterhole and we saw some beautiful giraffes! This giraffe in Germany we would say "Die Giraffe hat einen Vogel" :D Sorry, the light was not the best! Little Satara was sitting in his seat and couldn`t close his mouth! :D The giraffes were everywhere and he really didn´t know to look to the right sight or the left sight!

On our way to Dukes waterhole we came across this milliped which is always amazing for me to watch them!

Than we met this big boy:

On our way back to the camp, we had for me one of our most beautiful sightings! We were on the S130 and we stopped for some zebras and impalas on the left.

There was also a rhino but we realized it too late so it disappeared into the bush. :( It would be a great pic the rhino with all the zebras and impalas. After a while we were looking to the right side :big_eyes: there were 8 rhinos around at a waterhole, with youngsters and the gras was so green and the light was perfect!! I tried to get all 8 rhinos in one pic but it didn´t work :cry: There were to much bushes and trees between, but I got 3 of them :dance:

The situation was so peaceful and just amazing!! I have never seen so many rhinos in KNP together.

On our way back to camp there was a big traffic jam because of two ellie bulls fighting on the tar road! I got a pic of one of them which was really a big boy!

That was for us a wonderful first drive with Little Satara and back in camp we were looking forward to the next drive in the afternoon! :dance:

continuance soon...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Good afternoon everyone!
Thank you so much KTF hooked, Micetta, Sprocky, Pumbaa, fenwickh, FC, Katja, Shi, MM, Lionspoon, Bushcraft, melph and Alex for your kind words!!! :clap: :clap:

The sky is crying here in Bavaria - it´s raining the whole day! What a crazy weather!

After a nice break, some sandwiches, some coffee and a mash for Little Satara we packed again, jumped into our SANI and drove back through the gate into the park! The little boy was not happy to sit again in the car so we decided to take a small route to be back in time to buy our stuff for our braai! :D Every evening we had a wonderful braai and Stefan is missing that here back in Germany! We were sitting outside, the hyaena were walking up and down the fence....it was great!

Here are some impressions from our one and only afternoon drive around Crocodile Bridge. The next day we had to leave to Lower Sabie, were some other stunning sightings were waiting for us :dance: :wink:

That guy thought that he´s really very cool :D

I love that pic because of the mirroring

lonely dagga boy

Just before the gate closed, KNP showed us all his magic!

Back in camp and ready for the Braai :D

Next installment soon....

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Good evening everyone!
Thank you Micetta, Katja, Nkumbe, anne-marie, Alex, CB, Sylvia, Pumbaa, FC, KTF hooked, Shi, melph and fenwickh for your kind words!!

We had a lovely last braai in Crocodile Bridge and after a hot Amarula Coffee and this pic we were back on the road to drive to our next camp: Lower Sabie!

It was a very quiet drive, we didn´t see much game (impies everywhere :D ) and so we arrived very early at Lower Sabie.
We checked in but we couldn´t go to our tent because it was to early. So we went back to our car to drive a little bit around.

Our first stop was at Sunset Dam - I love that place!!! :thumbs_up: But it was full with water. We only saw some hippos and these beautiful birds.

Hadeda Ibis

Than we drove back and took the tar road over the bridge to the S29. The river had really lots of water! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Then we turned right to the S29 because I wanted to drive to the view point on the N´wagovita hills. The view was :big_eyes: WOW!! Beautiful, and I felt so sorry, that we couldn´t stay there for a while! But Little Satara was not so happy, so we stopped just for few pics! But I will definitely come back!! :D

Some hippos on the sand banks and in the water

Back in camp we were still to early to get into our tent. So we went to the restaurant to have something for lunch. Little Satara was very happy about that and was entertaining everyone including the birds :D

After a while we got our keys. Before we left the restaurant I saw that lonely crocodile lying on a sand bank.

We drove to our tent and were very surprised 8)

Continuance soon :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good evening everyone!
Once again I am sitting outside, enjoying the sounds of the Bavarian Bush! :D Stefan is back in South Africa. He just called me "Honey, can you hear the sea?" He´s in Durban at the moment and no sorry, I couldn´t hear the sea :wink:
But I think now, its time for the next episode from our TR! :dance:

After a long waiting we got our key for our tent in Lower Sabie. We drove through the camp with a big expectance because of the tent. Especialy I was thinking if it wasn´t a mistake to book a tent with the little boy! But than :big_eyes: we saw it and we were just WOW!!!! It was really a surprise for us but the tent was stunning!! We had lots of space and a beautiful view to the sky. We realized that when we had our braai later! The bathroom was big so LS could take his bath and could play all around!!! Also his friends Ryan and Malmen loved the tent!!! :D

This was our private tent "pet" and I also have a special story about him, but that happened the next day :wink:

Ryan and Malmen enjoying their holidays

The tent was really beautiful and I also can recommend the tents in Lower Sabie also when you stay there with a child. We had no problems with baboon I only had to be used to this huge geckos :D :wink: Which I have never seen before.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next