Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trip Report Marakele
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:04 pm 

Below is a trip report of our weekend at Marakele. Please forgive the photos as I am still learning the equipment. They are merely to show what we saw. It is a little long winded too :redface:

What an amazing weekend away :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Marakele is a truly beautiful place. This is definitely going to become a favourite park for us to visit, especially due to its close proximity to Pretoria.
We arrived just after 4pm on Friday afternoon. There was another private vehicle parked at the gate and a SANParks game viewing vehicle with some very excited staff around. Two gentlemen and a lady also got onto the game viewer and I noticed one of the gentlemen carrying what looks like a briefcase and a steel contraption with a hook on the one end. I immediately presumed there might be a snake causing a problem somewhere in camp. I enquired at reception while completing the necessary admin and was told that they are releasing two pythons that were caught in someone’s yard in Thabazimbi. I immediately felt that we were going to have a good weekend.

We proceeded to drive to camp and when arrived we were met with impala and warthog at the waterhole. The campsites around the waterhole were all already taken, and although we were disappointed at first for not having a nice view over the waterhole we did find a campsite in the Sable loop, I think it was number 4 or 5. In hindsight this was perfect for us, very private and away from the hustle and bustle of the Rhino loop. We quickly setup camp and got back in the car for a short drive. We saw zebra, kudu and another herd of impala.

We went back to camp and made the standard evening fire. Just after dark we heard the cracking of dry branches and I shined the torch in the direction where the sound was coming from. A small herd of Zebra passed us by. Wonderful!

We were up early the next morning and left camp at 7am driving towards the western side of the park. We did not see much on the road towards the gate separating the western and eastern parts of the park. We were taking it very slow and coming up the hill we found, what I believed to be a mother rhino and her calf in the road. We were very lucky and spent a good 5 to 10 minutes with them before they moved off into the bush. Great start and we were very excited by this sighting.

We continued onwards and did not get very far when we found another small herd of zebra. We slowly meandered on towards Tlopi and as we came around a corner we saw a herd of about 15 – 20 elephants next to road feeding. They were very relaxed and we could see elephants of all ages, from a small calf to a huge cow.

After spending about 15 minutes with them and after few more cars gathered we decided to move on. We continued up the hill pass the Tlopi camp turn-off towards the view point. At some point two cars approached from the front and I reversed to where I could move slightly off the road for them to pass. As I reversed a klipspringer bolted across the road between our vehicle and the one approaching from the front. After the vehicles passed we moved forward again and found the klipspringer not far from the road.

Still moving towards the view point we also found these three magnificent kudu bulls in the valley below the road. Kudu is my favourite antelope and these three must have some of the best horns I have ever seen.

We continued on and just before reaching the viewpoint we encountered another pair of klipspringers. The ram was standing to the one side of a large rock and only after a few seconds did we notice the ewe on the rock.

We reached the view point and took in the breath taking views. We also saw the vultures circling above. Not the greatest photo.

The trip back down the hill was uneventful, with the klipspringers still on the rock and the 3 x kudu bulls still in the valley. After passing Tlopi camp again, we encountered this young elephant bull next to the road. He was very brave and on our way passed he trumpeted to show us who the boss is.

On the way back to the camp to make lunch we saw warthog and ostrich.

Back at camp we were joined by an ostrich walking, very relaxed, through camp.

We relaxed around camp for a few hours and listened to Boks losing to the Aussies on the radio before taking another drive.

We drove a few of the loops in the eastern side of the park, but this did not produce anything particularly exciting. We again drove through the tunnel to the western side of the park, with the belief slowly setting in that this might be our weekend to spot the lions, which unfortunately was not the case.

We decided that we would follow the Lekganyane road towards the Mbidi road, and as we approached the turn-off we spotted another three klipsringers crossing the road. We passed the turn-off towards them. Again they were very relaxed and gave us plenty of opportunity to photograph them.

We turned back and took the roads as described above. Although we did not see much on this route it was exciting going down the road the marked “4x4 Only” and I took the opportunity to engage low range.

Back on the tar road we spotted a group of kudu cows very near to the spot where we saw the three klipspringers not more than an hour before. I must say that the bush is extremely dry and these kudu where not in great condition at all. I am not sure if this can really be seen on the photos.

We headed back towards the eastern side of the park and heard some angry elephant in the distance. We got to the gate separating the eastern and western part of the park and decided to do another turn around as we had some time left before gate closing time. About 2 km back west we encountered this elephant in the road.

After spending some time with this elephant we decided to head back to camp and found a giraffe next to the road. Moments earlier another vehicle passed us and I thought the dust set a nice scene for this photo.

That evening we had two bush babies in the trees around our fire. I also had an attempt at a night photo of our camp.

Next morning we packed up camp and had a quick shower before heading out for one last drive. We spotted plenty of plains game in and around camp, with kudu, impala and ostriches among them.
On the road heading west we spotted a giraffe with a young one. Not the greatest photos again, but the difference in size between the mother and her young can be seen.

On the western side of the park we again spotted a group of elephants feeding next to the road.

And a young kudu bull crossing the road very close to the elephants.

At the turn-off towards Tlopi camp we encountered this group of elephants with a few small ones.

Somewhere we managed to spot two rhino.

We drove the Mdibi road in the opposite direction from the previous day and did not see anything exciting. We then slowly made our way back to the main gate and exited the park just after 12pm back to Pretoria.
We truly had an amazing time at Marakele. The only negative point I can raise is that the ladies ablution in the Sable loop did not have warm water for the entire weekend and apparently no water at all on Sunday morning. The ladies made use of one of the showers in the men’s ablutions on Sunday morning. We thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and feel rested and refreshed. We are heading to the Kgalagadi in October and this was the perfect weekend to get us excited for that trip. I will encourage any one and everyone to make sure that Marakele is on the to-do-list in the future.

Last edited by barryels on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhino locations edited out

Post subject: Re: Trip Report Marakele
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marakele is indeed a wonderful park. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us.

Great to see so many Elephants - I am yet to see them in the park but have been luck to have had the Lions on the road.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Great to see a TR on Marakele......... :thumbs_up:

You had a stunning trip with great sightings!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you so much for sharing!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you very much for a TR from a very special place, mariusw!! Much appreciated!! :thumbs_up:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:whistle: Mariusw, thank you for sharing your week-end at Marakele with us. (Never been there myself). :mrgreen:
Great Park, Pic's and Adventure. :thanx:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm 

Thank you all for reading.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great to hear you enjoyed your weekend and thank you for taking the time to share. It is one of the " forgotten" parks with so much to offer and as you rightly said not too far. Giraffe in the dust :thumbs_up: Pity about the abultions was it to anyone's attention? I still plan to organize a forum camping meet there sometime in the near future.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Marius, what a lovely and comprehensive report. I have had this Park on my wish list for such a long time. You have just made it more enticing.

What an exciting way to start with the release of two pythons. Terrific. :dance: :dance: :dance:

I enjoyed your pictures. It give a really good idea of what to expect.

Now that you are getting to know your equipment, I hope that we can look forward to more reports. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

mariusw!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. So good to hear that you had a great time - Marakele is a very special place. (Time to make that trip MM! :twisted: )

Is the building of the permanent accomodation at Bontle completed? Was disappointed to see during our December visit that a couple of camping spots were lost in the process. :(

Really hope that the rains come early this year! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 am 

naomi c wrote:

Is the building of the permanent accomodation at Bontle completed? Was disappointed to see during our December visit that a couple of camping spots were lost in the process. :(

naomi_c, no the building seems to still be in progress. We did not physically see the builders on site, but there were still some temporary buildings around and some rubble. The campsite was fully booked for the weekend, I assume considering the lost campsites, so there is definitely a demand for camping spots and one will hope that the camping spots are not reduced drastically.

One other thing that was noticeable is the very few cars that we encountered. I obviously thought with the camp being full that it will be busy, but passing cars were few and far between. At almost all the sightings we were the first and only car for quite some time before another vehicle joined.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Almost nine months down the line and still not completed? - wonder what the problem is?

And yes, we have experienced the same thing - even if the camp is fully booked the roads are never crowded. The only place we have occasionally encountered some traffic is on the road up the mountain - not for the faint-hearted!! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:33 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
A great trip report with lovely sightings and pictures Mariusw! Thank you so much for sharing! Can't wait for our October visit! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful Klipspringers, Rhino, Kudu, Giraffe, Ellies and I love the Ostrich walking through the campsite! And those Vultures! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mellory wrote:
I still plan to organize a forum camping meet there sometime in the near future.

I thought you'd forgotten, Mel :D

Thank you for sharing your trip, mariusw, you certainly saw some nice stuff. We heard lions at Tlopi one evening but never saw hide nor hair of an ellie, nor any vultures on top of the hill.

I also like your giraffe in the dust pic. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the great TR, mariusw. You were lucky with so many super sightings.

We have been to Marakele 3 or 4 times and have loved it every time. There is a good variety of animals and birds and the scenery is absolutely stunning.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015