Addicted to the Kruger NP

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks

Moderator: hilda

Cécile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Addicted to the Kruger NP

Unread postby Cécile » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Since we have been to the KNP in February 2013 for the first time, we tried the KNP in 2014 October again. But for us ist the Time to be in KNP February. :dance:
The reason ist, in October, where the winter is ending, the Flora out there is not very nice. We saw a lot of Fires and what we like so much is ,red sand, blue sky and green trees. :clap: :clap:

17.02.2015 untill 05.03.2015 was the time we were there and I will try to share some of our experieces with you. :)

We flew from Munich via London to Joburg, then we flew with Air Link to Nelspruit. :clap:
It took us 32 Hours from House to House but we really fell in love with this KNP. :lol:
This time we got a SUV from AVIS and of we went , via N4 to come to Malalane.
Since I am on facebook I got in touch with Super Spar in Malalane and I ordered Gamemeat. :gflower:
When we arrived , the Budger did not believe it, that we really came to get our gamemeat. He asked where we were from , as I mensionned that I am from Holland, he sure liked that, we had a little chat in Afrikaans/ Dutch and he told us, his parents came also from Holland. We got some Kudufilet Ostrichfilet and we did our other groceriesshopping. :clap:
The bottleshop was accross the street and than we headed to the Malalane Heck to check in for our firts stay Berg en dal. :)
This Camp we never visitet before but lots of friends told us to do so.
Well this is my first story, I will be back :dance:
Last edited by Cécile on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How you do anything,so you wil do everything!

MATTHYS

Re: Addicted to the Kruger NP

Unread postby MATTHYS » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks for a lovely and interesting first story, Cécile :D
Looking forward to more !
aquila non capit muscas

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Lovely first story Cecile, more please :popcorn:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

pamelajane

Unread postby pamelajane » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 pm

:gflower: A good start with your travel and shopping -I hope you continue with your Kruger story :think:

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Cécile, welcome to the forum and liked your first episode. :dance:

You shopped at the right place as it is also our favourite before entering Kruger. :lol:

Berg n Dal is a great camp and now you got us all interested to learn more about your trip. :thumbs_up:
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

Cécile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cécile » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:55 pm

:gflower: Thanks for the feedback and again the welcome :gflower:
The drive towards Berg en Dal ,is very picturesque, like the name says already. We live in Bavaria in the mountains, so no problem for us to drive those pads. :dance: Even the driving on the leftside of the road was easy again.
In Berg en Dal we got Bungalow 38, this was nice because of next to the fence, so nice and quiet. :dance:
We went to the little shop, because we were told that there was a possibillity to support the Rangers their work to safe Rhinos. :clap: There is a Wine red and white, named "Tears for Rhinos", we sure were happy to find this wine in the Shop. :clap:

After we got settled, filling up our Fridge , we had our Sundowner and the Braai could start. :dance:
The Kudufilet was delicious, we had a nice redwine from SA and we were sitting next to the fireplace and enjoyed the African Stars und all the nice sounds whats only like that in Afrika. :clap:
We felt like comming home again. :lol:
We decided not to go for a gamedrive this day, because we sure were tired.
We did set our alarm for the next day 4.30, because early "birds" are lucky to see Wildlife. :dance:

20.02.2015 Friday
after a litle Breakfast, of we went. We have planned our Gamedrives already at home, so we did not miss one Pad or annimal in the surroundings of Berg en Dal. :D
I have to say, my favorit Animals are those above 50 Kilos and my husband is a Birder :lol: , I still have to check how to post some pictures.
I am not sure if I should post some Rhino pictures or mension where we saw them :(
But in the eveningdrive we saw Honeybadgers, I think thats cool, because normally they only come at nighttime. :dance:
Our evening startet with a nice sundowner and a Braai, this time we had Ostrichefilet SUPER, thats life we like.
21.02.2015 Saturday
Morningdrive as early as possibel......guess who was on his way ....a Leopard :dance: :dance:
This I have only on Film, he walked along the Pad, looked in our window, which I closed in case of.... and then he just went of.That sure was on the right time on the right place.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Today our next Camp is Biyamiti, thats also a Camp what was the first time for us..
I will be back :gflower:
Last edited by Cécile on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stampajane
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stampajane » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 pm

What a long journey to get to Berg en Dal, Cecile. No wonder you were tired out on the first day.

So lucky to see a leopard at the beginning of your holiday. And a honey badger as well.

You can post pictures of rhinos that you have seen but don't mention what area they were in. You never know who is reading this forum and you wouldn't want to give away the location of the rhino.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures at Biyamiti.

Cécile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cécile » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi stampajane,
thanks for your feedback. :gflower:
Yes we saw all over the place lots of Rhinos..... :clap: :dance:
I am triing to loadup some pictures but I still cannot manage this part yet. :cry:

My pictures are all to big and the Tnypic has not the size.... :evil:

Maybe I should try this tomorrow... :)
Biyamiti will come tomorrow I promise... :)
Greetings
Cécile

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:57 am

What a lovely start, Cecile..... and a very warm welcome to the forum.

:popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:47 am

I am so glad to see you decided to do the TR after all!

32 hour to travel to KNP - :big_eyes:

And honey badger and leopard to start off your trip - how wonderful!

But I agreer with you about the time of year - we also went in October, and it had not rained much, and after the fires, the bush was not as pretty as it could be. But the positive aspect of this is that you get to see a lot more animals that would normally be hidden in the dense bush.

Cécile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cécile » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Karin,
maybe its because of our 32 hours trip we have,to come to the Kruger, we were again soooo lucky, we really saw many many animals :dance:

today I will go into the facts, how to post some pictures :( untill now I did not make it yet . :wall:

greetings
Cécile :)
Thanks to all of you for welcomming me here, it feels a little bit like being in Africa,wenn I see where you all come from.... :gflower:

Cécile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cécile » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 am

20.02.2015 Friday
today we will drive to BIYAMITI. :)
on our way, we saw again many animals , my heart is just full of joy, how lucky we were.We also stop for Birds and small animals but we already saw the BIG 5 .... :clap: after such a short time beiing in the Kruger NP.
Lots of friends have been there to Biyamiti, so we decided to give it a try. :)
The only Cottache what was free at that time was a place with 2 Bedrooms. :dance:
We tried to invite some friends to join us for 2 nights but unfortunatly, none of them were there at that time. :whistle:
Very sad , here, in this Forum ,I would for sure have found some "Friends". :clap:
The reception was very smal and checkin went smooth. NO KEYS :? We should close the door because of the Monkeys.... :whistle:
It sure was a big place for the two of us. Anyway , we decided to take one Bedroom were we tried the Van in the other bedroom the Van was not working... :whistle:
The kitchen was ,as this cottache was for 4 persons huge.... And what I loved, like we do have in Holland, a GASSTOVE... :clap: The electic onces always take to much time.Since we were informed before we came to SA, we heard that Electricity was going to be shut of very often, so we braught already pocket lamps and Candles to be prepaired. :dance: It even had a Microwave but as we love the BRAAI time in Africa, we really do not need a Microwave. :)
All of a sudden , we had some "Visitors" Biyamiti has bush buck , they just walk arround and were inspecting the new visitors, I just love it. :clap:
The camp is quite small but very nice next to the river, without Water !!!!!!! As we compaire February 2013 and February 2015, it sure was very sad for the animals to surch for water. :(
Our afternoon gamedrive was a great succes, pictures I still cannot post here. :redface:
Our sundowner and ostrich fillet on the braai was very tasty and all of a sudden , gues what came to visit uns .a genetcat. :clap: :clap: Sorry not to have taken a picture, we were just sitting there and we could not believe that.

This was another wonderful day in the Bush, if the informations about the camps are not enough, do not hassitate to aske me. :)
I will be back. :D
Last edited by Cécile on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:10 pm

Cécile your trip report is great :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you for sharing with us your time in the Kruger :D I am looking forward to read more :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Welcome Cecile,

had already a great read and already feeling homesick by your brilliant descriptions of the camps and braais you had :tongue:

Cécile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cécile » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:45 am

22.02.2015 Sunday.
during nighttime we notice its raining :clap: :clap:
Here in Germany , we do not get excitet when its raining or snowing but in Africa we know that the landscape and for sure Animals need the rain. :clap:

2013 February we remembered that we had even to change our Camp because it did float away by the rain and in Elephants, I took a beautiful movie looking a big herd of Elefants crossing the river. The littleonce had to even swimm. :)

The river at Biyamiti had just some little waterholes where some elefants tried to drink. this time.
We decided to go on our morningdrive even it was raining.
When we came to the gate , there were no other Visitors or cars.? We waitet a while, I got impatient and got out of the car. :roll:
There was a sighn at the gate, to open it and close it by ourselves. :roll: Sometimes its good to be impatient. :roll: it was for us the first Bushcamp so thats why I write this here.
This morningdrive we saw a big herd of Elefants, thats it , because the other animals I think did not like to get wet too :lol:
When we came back to the camp
we looked around and visited the "Informationcenter" there is suppose to be the best Internet, but its a "Secret" :lol: :lol: The Bush bucks showed us even there littleonce, soooo nice they were not scared at all. :clap:
Our afternoondrive was great again .
Mike my husband saw 17 different kinds of Birds !!!! As a real German , he has a little Book, where he puts every Birdname he saw. :dance:
For me it sure was great too. We drove the way to Malalane and that was so right because there was a Lion walking on the Pad and anotherone came out of the Bush. :clap:
We observed them for a while and all of a sudden a Safaricar with tourists came also behind us. Since they sit higher , we were absolutely not in there way. :roll:
But, since those guides like to have a good Tip, what we really understand, he passed our Car and parked in between the 2 Lions.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
He slamed his door to make this one Lion to get up , :shock: :shock:
We could not believe that behavier... After his Guests took some pictures he drove of and we waited untill the 2 Lions walked further on the Pad and we followed them slowly and in a good distance.....
WE are in there HOUSES so WE should be repektfull..... :cry:
Last year we were in Afsaal, there we talked to some Guides , they told us, all the Tourist want are LIONS LIONS LIONS !!!!!
Anyway, we had sure a succesfull gamedrive and we returned back to Biyamiti, in the meantime there were lots of Elefants in the river, because they found some water there because of the rain. :clap: We had our Sundowner and Braai, again Ostrich filet,the rain had stopped . :clap:
Our last evening in Biyamati was very nice again, we hoped to see the Genetcat again but the Cat did not show up again. :(
Our groceries were still enough, because this Biyamiticamp does not have any possibillity to buy anything.Besides of wood at the reception. But I think you all know this part. :)
Another super Bushexperience day for us :dance: :dance:
I will be back.... :gflower:
Last edited by Cécile on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel Tales”