Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 150  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Went in at Malelane gate, and took BnD road. Nothing to speak of until rejoining main tar road when we found a massive rhino. Turned round 3 times to get good photos.... But like a good tour guide I positioned car for my guest and forgot to take pics myself!

After that Zebs, wildebeest and warthogs just before Afsaal. The scops owl was posing well on a low branch.

A bit further on we stopped to see what someone else was watching, and were pointed to a lion in the bush - which disappeared immediately. But a car coming towards us flashed its lights and another lion crossed in front of us. Great excitement!!!

After that a giraffe on the horizon - just to prove they did exist.... then a few kudus and 3 ground hornbills near Skukuza. We had lunch watching the river and birds, then took the road over the low level bridges. My friend was demanding elephants. I produced them!!! A breeding herd, together with Graemy and Laine! While we had a mini forum meet in the middle of the road the ellies crossed all around us. Even more excitement!!! Closely followed by the next demand - giraffe right next to the road.... An excellent choice of route!!! Also found baboons.

Crossed green bridge and headed for Lower Sabie - and ended up among more elephants!! And Giraffes, and baboons....

Stopped at Sunset Dam to view crocs, hippos, spoonbills, yellow-bill storks, impalas - and then home - tired but happy.

Another long day planned for tomorrow - and I will try to remember to take photos!!!!!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

A couple of photos I did take yesterday - first the Scops owl at Afsaal:
Then one of the Ground hornbills in a balletic pose:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

We went in at Croc Bridge this morning - longer queue being Saturday, and then had to refuel so it was just after 7am before we were on animal watch. Immediately before the S25 turn-off we found a great group of giraffes plus impalas:

The next good sighting was at Lower Sabie where we had breakfast on the deck - watching hippos and crocs. There was a tiny hippo baby only about the size of mom's head! There were also 2 buffalo on a sand bank, and immediately behind them on the river bank was a lion. An impala eventually wandered up, looked suspiciously at the lion and then turned and moved away quickly - so the lion gave chase - but had no chance of catching it. It then disappeared and the excitement was over and we finished our breakfast in peace. Graemy was there watching it too.

Sunset dam was the next stop - and gave a good display with the usual hippos and crocs joined by giraffes, zebs, and impalas - plus spoonbills and grey herons:

After that it was back to the bridge and up towards Tshokwane. We found several herds of zebs and wildebeest, but all a bit far away for photos. Some kudus near the road:

We had a car coming towards us stop at this point and tell us there were more kudus a bit further on, but other than that everything was 'opgedry' (dried up). So after that we enjoyed all the opgedried animals we kept seeing!!!!! Waterbuck, zebs, more wildebeest, warthogs......

After a stop at Nkumbi lookout we went to Tshokwane for a picnic lunch - pleasantly free of monkeys (wonder what they did?) and then headed towards Skukuza.

More of the usual suspects were followed by a steenbok which happily grazed near the road even when 2 speed merchants raced by:

Last edited by ecojunkie on Sat May 24, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The next sighting was a breeding herd of elephants crossing the road:
But the usual crazies were about too:

We turned down the H12 and across the green bridge and headed back towards Lower Sabie and Croc Bridge. Just after Nkuhlu we met a buffalo jam:

Sunset dam was quiet in the late afternoon. Further down the road we found guinea fowl right across the road too - they did eventually move off and let us pass:

And finally just 10km from Croc Bridge in the fading light there were 3 lions near the road. There were a lot of cars about, so we quickly took our photos and moved on:

We had much hilarity at times with legless rhino rocks, log-imals, and giraffe trees - one of which became a proper giraffe in fact! And once a car in front of us stopped, pulling over to the opposite side of the road, so we were peering into the bush to see what was there from the correct side of the road...... Suddenly I saw what it was and quietly said - look to your left. A large bull elephant was only a few metres away browsing on a tree!!!!

Tomorrow will be a 'rest' day, with church in the morning and quiet animal and bird watching at home and Monday we will go into Kruger again. Buffet breakfast at Lower Sabie is planned, and then depends what we feel like....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

We had a great trip today! We were at Croc Bridge only minutes after 6am. Apart from impala there was nothing until just past the S28 turning - then a traffic jam..... 2 lionesses with cubs - 4 small and 2 a little bigger that we were able to count. It was impossible to get a good photo - the cars were all over the place, and the cubs too active in the long grass. But we were able to watch for a while and really enjoyed the activity. Eventually they headed down towards the river and disappeared, so we left too.

Only a few hundred metres further on there were elephants in the bush near the road - and then 'the front end of a rhino' at last! (The rhino we had seen near BnD on Friday was not keen on facing us....). It kept a steady walk parrallel to the road for quite a while and my friend got a couple of good photos.

Not much further on there was a lone bull elephant right next to the road
He seemed determined to get as much of the tree into him as possible and ignored us totally.

At the waterhole further on we found lions again - but heading into the bush and giving some impala a fright! And again just after that more elephants, but behind bushes so we could see they were there but not get a good view.

Just before the S28 joined back into the tar road we found a herd of zebs with wildebeest in the background. Then suddenly this guy entered the field:
It started to chase the zebs, and they scattered and we were about to move off, when suddenly there was more movement - and the hyena reappeared - but this time being chased by a zebra!!! All settled down again and then the hyena came towards the road for a short distance but disappeared into bush.

Then it began to rain quite heavily, so we headed for breakfast
- which was great! The griddle chef appeared to thoroughly enjoy her job and cheerfully made us omelettes, and when I asked about pancakes she just smiled. As I finished the 'main' meal she appeared at my side with a plate of freshly made pancakes - delicious!!!!! (The waiter spoilt the experience by taking far too long with the bill and the change though).

Then Sunset Dam - but not much happening. We continued north and found 3 dagha boys, and kept on to the green bridge and turned back. Several groups of kudus entertained us, but really only impalas about. There were several giraffes at Sunset Dam when we got back there, and when warthogs came to drink near them it made a good contrast photo:
But the inevitable crazy was there too
I told him he should not be out of the sunroof, and he demanded to know why! I informed him about outlines, etc, and that it was the regulations anyway and he told me he 'appreciated my point of view' and withdrew to shoulder level! As we left the driver suddenly informed us that his father had been one of the founding members of the Honorary Rangers! My response was that he should know better then...

We stopped at Lower Sabie, and I showed the photo to the reception staff - they noted the registration number and immediately rang the rangers! No messing about....

The rest of the trip home was quiet, and we were tired anyway - and probably still digesting our large breakfast! Well we had to eat all those pancakes as well because they were made specially for us......!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Our canyon trip was great, and on the way back from Orpen to CB we found lions again just south of Satara near the Sweni bridge. There were a lot of cars there already, but I did manage to allow my friend to get a quick photo. The Kumana waterhole was busy - 3 elephants thoroughly enjoying the mud and several giraffes, plus zebs and impala in the bushes at the back.
After that we found several groups of kudus but not much else

So every one of the trips we did we found lions - sometimes twice . No leopards which was a pity. But my friend has gone back to Australia wanting to return here......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The trip to meet Elsa and co at Skukuza started well - an elephant very close to CB
And almost immediately a giraffe pretending to be a dry tree

I stopped for a quick look at Sunset Dam to enjoy a mug of tea - the water is getting very blue-green so hope there is no algal problem there. Lots of hippos about, but otherwise only impala. Just before I left a red car went past with a yellow ribbon, but I could not attract their attention (think it was Saraf as she met Elsa and co at LS later).

Near Nkuhlu a large elephant was browsing at the side of the road
He paid not the slightest attention to any cars - although there was one car that obvious did not want to get anywhere near him and stopped a long distance away.....

With time in hand I took the route over the green bridge, and met 2 ground hornbills at the end of the bridge, and then a short way up the road 3 nyala bulls

On the Sand River bridge there were '3 little dicky birds all in a row'

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The lunch meeting was good - and we got a new bird for our lists when a pair of crowned hornbills arrived
they had a strange call for their size!

After lunch I headed back by the most direct route - and found lions just before the green bridge
no chance of getting anywhere near a sighting!!!!! I manoevred past the jam as soon as possible and continued.

Shortly after that there was a breeding herd of elephants at the side of the road
And near LS another huge jam of cars - learned later that was the leopard with a kill. Again I just got out of there as soon as
possible!

At Sunset Dam the hippos were active near the parking area so the crazies were about too
(and yes, I reminded them of the regulations and stopped in at LS to show the photo and give details to reception!)
After that there seemed to be lots of giraffes about!

Another good day......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

My 6 day fix in Kruger, tagging trees for scientific research with Kruger folk, was good - but too busy for photos!!!! The team should have been about 8 strong, but apart from 2 days at Mopani there were only 3 of us. It meant the ranger with the gun was busy finding the trees and putting on the tag, I was busy taking measurements, and the leader was busy recording. We did 60-80 trees each morning in 3-4 sites, so time was short. I did learn a useful way to remember the latin names though - first 3 letters of each part of the name eg colmop = mopani (colophospermum mopane) - and there were lots of those!!!!

On the first morning near Letaba we had to cut short the tagging on the last site because a black rhino refused to move away and it was too dangerous to continue! The second morning, also near Letaba we found lion spoor near the last 2 sites - and it had been raining so we could tell the spoor was very fresh! The lions did not show up though.

At Mopani we had a buffalo show a lot of interest! The ranger kept it away by clapping and shouting at it..... but as we were finishing an elephant came along too. Later we had a herd of zebras stop to watch, but they moved on quickly.

The final morning on the way to Shingwedzi we finished up near the Shongololo loop junction - and 3 elephants kept watch on us. I had to keep backing towards them to take my measurements - but knew someone was always looking my way so was not worried.

The trip back from Shingwedzi was long - but uneventful until I got past Lower Sabie. Then I found the road totally blocked by cars - something near the river was attracting attention and folk were sitting in windows, on the roofs of cars, and even out of cars!!!! I spoke to a few folk but it was useless as more and more folk just popped out..... So when I was through the jam I called the emergency number to report it - and found that the lady at the other end could not understand or speak English very well. Gave that up and called Lower Sabie instead - and they immediately said they would send out a ranger to control the situation.

Only 500m or so further down the road I found a leopard walking along the side of the road partially hidden by the row of bushes along the road!!! Fortunately it was headed away from the jam, otherwise some folk may have had a nasty surprise as they were all looking the other side of the road!

Now home, and sorting out ready for the trip to the UK. No more fixes until August.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

@anne-marie - just to clear up misunderstanding - I am retired, and the 'work' I do in Kruger is purely voluntary as part of the Lowveld Honorary Rangers!

Yesterday I went up to Skukuza for our regional meeting. It was good to be back in the thick of things again.

On the way up to Skukuza I had to watch time, but the trip was great as there were not many cars about. Just a few kms from Croc Bridge it was obviously that buffalos had spent the night on the road, and I soon found them - a large herd:
ImageImage

There were a number of giraffes about, and near Lower Sabie one strolled closer to stand and watch me:

At Sunset Dam there were lots of hippos near the road peering out of the water:

And a heron in one of the trees close to the road:

The rest of the animals were not really photogenic - zebras and kudus staying in the bushes.

The return trip was in the heat of the day, so not much about at all - although just 1km north of the Lubyelubye bridge there was something ?leopard:
Cars were actually parked 4 abreast across the road, and more had pulled off the road on to the grass. After getting through the mayhem I called the LS duty manager to report the situation and she said she would send out the rangers. Below LS a number of cars overtook me at speed - and I wondered if they were making up time after the jam.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

@UKbadger - I did spend around 23 years in the UK, so got to see quite a lot of the wildlife - the first 6 months in the New Forest. Just been back for a month but it was to accompany my mom to see her sister who was very ill - so no wildlife hunting! Not sure when or even if I will be back!

Thanks again for all the 'welcome back's - I have missed you all too!

Post subject: Re: needed a fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

My 5 day trip report will come later..... but today I needed to get some information from Skukuza - so it was a good excuse to go in person rather than try a frustrating phone call! Went in at Croc Bridge and straight up the tar road and back again.

For a short trip I had very good sightings. First up was a sleepy rhino even before the S25 turning
I saw another at the waterhole at the H5 turning, and 2 more across the river further up.
Then just before the Vurhami bridge 2 hyenas quickly became 3, then 4, and a 5th joined them - with another watching from the grass at the side of the road

There were a number of giraffes about, and several groups of kudu females too. Strangely not a single zebra....

After getting to the Sabie river area, I was suddenly forced to stop as 2 hippos emerged from the grass and crossed the road to the river
another did the same just past Lower Sabie!

There were lots of elephants about - several elli jams
and 2 bulls having an argument about something
There were cars scattered all over the road watching them - and one battered red car tried to weave through them but stopped very abruptly when the ellies moved towards the road again!!!

to be continued.....

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

...continued!

This is one of several bushbuck I saw too

On the return trip immediately after the Skukuza cross-roads there was a group of 4 nyala bulls

More ellies along the road too, and then some warthogs

As I crossed the low level bridge on my way out I could not help laughing - there was a large croc on a sand bank, wearing some water plants on his back!
He looked so comical rather than frightening......

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Took the scenic route to Malelane today for shopping - via the S25!

Work has started on the bridge upgrade preparations.

It was a giraffe day - they were everywhere! This was the first one - and I was stretched across the car and did not realise the angle was a bit off - still, have a laugh on me!!!

Not far along the road there was a huge herd of buffalo - strangely some were crossing the road, walking a short distance on the north side of the road and then crossing back again.

About 2km after the Biyamiti turning there was a nest with an occupant right next the road. First thought was White-backed vulture - but then I decided it was an eagle. Unfortunately it was so much over the road that it was difficult to get a good view. But almost immediately I saw this guy, so knew I was right! Guessed at a tawny eagle (but open to corrections...). It was certainly enjoying the monitor lizard breakfast.

A bit further on 2 elephants crossed the road in front of me - but when I got level with them I realised it was the rear guard of a small herd.....

And then there was wartie and friend!

The road was fairly quiet - I met someone who told me they had seen 11 rhinos the day before. Maybe the sudden drop in temperature had changed behaviour..... Still, a better experience than the N4 on the way home!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Sorry - that eagle was not very clear, so I am trying a better photo posting.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 150  Next