Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 360  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Right - two trip reports coming up - but tame compared to the last lot!

After hitching up the caravan I headed north on H4-2 to Lower Sabie. The lions had disappeared completely, but there were 3 dagha boys in the river valley just before the turning. More zebs, wildebeest, giraffe and impala around. Kudus strangely absent.
Also found several lone eles, one hiding behind a bush and I almost missed him even though he was right next to the road. All very placid fortunately....
Turned on to the H10 and found very little apart from waterbuck, and several distant eles hiding in the shade of trees.
Then on to the H1-3 - and a stop for an ice-cream at Tshokwane! Just leaving there when a black mamba sailed across the road with its head held very high (maybe too hot for it??!!)
More zebs and giraffes, warthogs and a slender mongoose racing across the road.
Then on to the H7 south of Satara, and the usual zebs and wildebeest around. Strangely no buffalo at all. The Nsemani dam was deserted too. After that virtually nothing until I left at Orpen gate. Disappointing - but then I had had the lions in the morning.......

On 28th I got to Orpen early so hoped to see more - and was rewarded by zebs, wildebeest and giraffe immediately after going through the gate. A little further on there was a herd of wildebeest with very young babies. There were several car jams of the 'thought I saw.....' variety but really nothing much at all. Again Nsemani was deserted - not even the fish eagles to be seen. Back on the H1-3 there was still little more than impalas around. Another big car jam - but no-one could tell me what they were looking at! But just at the S33 turning I found a huge herd of buffalo fairly near the road. And just after that another huge herd of zebs.
Decided to continue on to the H1-2 and cross the bridge on the H12 in the hope of seeing more - but again disappointed.
In fact it was not until the river valley south of Satara that I saw the first eles! They were on both sides of the road, and the ones on the west side were swimming across the river as it was fairly deep there. Some squealing and trumpeting could be heard too. Cars jammed the road completely so although I had to sit and wait, I could not see much! Still I do get lots of opportunities...... A few more eles on the road further south, and a distant rhino.

So - slim pickings this time. I think the animals move away from the roads into the thicker bush areas when the park is so full, as I have noticed that I see very little whenever I go in over holiday periods. Early morning is the only good time - proved by the lions! Still, a 'tame' report will balance the previous ones!

Another report when the holdiay period is over - I will leave Kruger to those who cannot visit at other times for now.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It must be so special being able to just "pop in". :mrgreen:
I hope we hear a lot more about your excurtions Ecojunkie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:07 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Two pics from Ecojunkie:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I love the first Lion's pose..
:lol: :lol:

as for the second Lion, it seems to be saying, "mm, goodie, meals on wheels"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

thanks for sharing Ecojunkie and thanks for posting DuQues :thumbs_up:

The first picture indeed looks very special :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks ecojunkie and DQ -- just love that first lion pic -- looks so satisfied and comfy :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

That first lion made me think of a stuffed toy that had been dropped on the ground! It scarcely moved when cars moved/started up near it.
It was a GREAT sighting!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Inland schools back, pressure on Kruger reduced - so I went for it again. I was at Croc Bridge just before opening time, and 6th in queue so really smooth entrance.

Found impala (of course), zebs, wildebeest and giraffe quite quickly. Turned up S28 hoping to see lions or rhino - but very disappointing drive. Small herd of zebs and wildebeest at one point, but little else. Took turning to Duke, and found a very large troup of baboons who entertained us on the road for a while. At Duke itself there were lots of giraffes with youngsters around - and several cars. Turned south on the S130 as that has given good sightings before, but again virtually nothing. Then near the end someone told me there were lions at Vurhami dam. Found 3 lions there on the rock beneath the dam, but lots of cars too!

Then went north to Lower Sabie - thought I saw buffalo at the small waterhole, but they turned out to be elephants! (My contact lenses were giving trouble which may also be why I saw little?????). Sunset Sam hippos were playing in the water, but on the far side of the dam, and strangely could find no crocs.

Turned on to the S112 and found an elephant enjoying the waterhole - but 4 Eastgate safari vehicles arrived to monopolise the area, one tearing in at high speed.

After that a few more eles, one herd on the road with nervous tin cans on wheels either side! Turned down the S114 and on to H5 and S102 to Mpondo Dam. Found waterbuck, zebs and impala there. Back along the S25 to Croc Bridge. Stopped off at Hippo Pools where there was a puff adder hiding under a rock overhang, and good view of hippos (of course) and a grey heron fishing.

All in all a fairly disappointing trip - but grass is longer, and my eyes not in best shape... Will try again soon!!!! Guess I just picked the wrong route this time!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:42 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Wasn't a bad day at all, ecojunkie! Just to be in the park again made me :mrgreen:
Hope to read soon again about your adventures....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Cloudy day, a bit cooler, and loads of housework needing doing......in other words a perfect day for escaping to Kruger...!

Decided to go in at Malelane and out at Croc Bridge and see what happened in between....

Before I even turned off toward BnD and found my first impala I had found the back end of a rhino disappearing off the road into the bush, and met the extremely noisy front end of an elephant emerging from the bush on to the road!!! The guide from the morning drive had checked me in, and told me about a leopard in a tree with an impala kill - but I did not find it, pity!

At the Matjulu junction another elephant ambled towards me in the middle of the road. He was throwing dust over himself as he walked, but very relaxed so I sat and watched him. I began to think my car would end up dust coloured, but about 20m away he succumbed to a snack-attack and veered off the road to browse on a bush. I left him in peace to enjoy his meal!

A little further on I found another elephant, but there were 2 cars there already, and he was getting nervous and moving off, so I did too.

Turned down the S118, heading to Gardenia as I have not been there for a while. Found a herd of buffalo enjoying the river about half way along the road. Gardenia was quiet apart from a couple of vociferous Burchells starlings. The water is very muddy at the moment, and the entrance gate is broken.

Just after reaching the S25 there were 2 rhinos on the road, and almost at the junction with the tar road at Croc Bridge I found 3 rhinos - maybe 4 or more had I gone further????

Apart from one kudu cow, and one wildebeest, and a brown snake eagle in a tree next to the road - but refusing to look at me and be photographed - that was about it for the day. Lots of impala about - and at one point I thought I saw a jackal but it was a young impala running in the long grass!

There was water over the middle section of the Croc Bridge, but very little rain at present, so it will probably drop again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:21 pm 

ecojunkie wrote:
Cloudy day, a bit cooler, and loads of housework needing doing......in other words a perfect day for escaping to Kruger...!
Decided to go in at Malelane and out at Croc Bridge and see what happened in between....

I like your style 8)
Great sightings for a quick fix :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately the housework fairies have been load-shedded I think! I was all still there when I got home..... Oh well........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely drive, Ecojunkie :clap:

Quote:
Unfortunately the housework fairies have been load-shedded I think

Lazy lot, them -- we have the same problem :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Had to go to Malelane today, so decided I would rather face the wild animals on the S25 than the N4....... So took the route via Komati and Croc Bridge!

As I came out of the office I found a car with a yellow ribbon parked behind me - so Tilandi became my first forum meet....And a short time later I met Lastpride too. Great!

Immediately after the gate there were lots of giraffe, impala, zebs and wildebeest about. A few warthogs too. I stopped to watch an elephant, and someone coming south told me there was a leopard a bit further on, so I kept going - and found it lying in the grass and occasionally lifting its head to look around. 2 cars were there already, and another 3 arrived, so I left my space for those who do not have my opportunities....

I had seen a couple of buffalo just before finding the leopard, and on my way back south to the S25 the whole herd had moved towards the road and were on both sides.

The rest of the trip was mundane after that. A family of dwarf mongooses entertained me for a while - the youngsters were tumbling all over the road, and chasing a hornbill every time it landed near them. Actually I was not sure just who was teasing who - but it was fun to watch.

There was a saddle-bill stork close to the bridge at Biyamiti and I got a good photo or two. Also found a small huddle of 3 elephants under a tree.

While busy in Malelane I got an sms to say my new credit card was ready at the bank in Komati.....so I did the only logical thing and went back to Malelane gate and took the S118/9 route back to the S25......

Started off well with a very muddy rhino shortly after the gate. It was having a thoroughly enjoyable scratch on a low stump.

The gate at Gardenia has been fixed - well done whoever is responsible!!!

Just south of Gardenia I met a huge ele with really long asymmetrical tusks. Do not know of one in that area, so will try to email the pictures to Letaba. (anyone know the email address?)

Apart from a giraffe intent on keeping me in the park as long as possible by staying in the middle of the road and refusing to let me pass, that was it. But it was the middle of the day, so I was not really surprised.

Picked up a bit of metal somewhere and had a flat tyre by the time I reached Croc Bridge, but that was easily sorted out!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely day, ecojunkie :clap:
Are you also in Marloth ?
Have fond memories of that route to Malelane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 360  Next