SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Anniversary Celebrations for SANParks Honorary Rangers
Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS FOR SANPARKS HONORARY RANGERS

2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the partnership between South African National Parks (SANParks) and the SANParks Honorary Rangers. This will be celebrated in the Kruger National Park from 21 to 25 May 2014.

The SANParks Honorary Rangers, the SANParks volunteer organisation functioning according to an official agreement with SANParks, have a long history. Volunteers were active in the Kruger National Park as early as 1902, helping to alleviate the workload of full-time rangers, but were officially established in May 1964.

Today, there are over 1, 300 SANParks Honorary Rangers, all volunteers, based in 31 regions around the country and working in all 21 our national parks, such as Kruger, Addo, Table Mountain and Kgalagadi National Parks.

“The partnership between the SANParks Honorary Rangers and SANParks is a critical example of how the public can make active contributions to important causes. Over 50 years the Honorary Rangers have assisted SANParks in various activities, not the least of which is helping to conserve our precious wildlife,” says Janssen Davies, National Executive Committee Chairperson.

“The SANParks Honorary Rangers will mark 50 years of this united activity and this will further strengthen the partnership between SANParks and the SANParks Honorary Rangers. This ongoing relationship is essential in helping to preserve our natural and cultural heritage,” concludes Davies.

A packed programme of activities, courses, lectures and an exhibition day with a demonstration by the Ranger Corps, have been planned for some 500 Honorary Rangers attending, many of whom are company directors, businessmen and decision makers.

Unlike many fundraising initiatives the SANParks Honorary Rangers utilise 100% of all money raised for the purpose for which they were donated. No public money is used to run activities and every cent donated by the public for counter poaching or other projects identified is used to fund the actual projects or counter poaching needs in our national parks. We are a registered public benefit and non-profit organisation.

For more information: http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org

Post subject: Re: Anniversary Celebrations for SANParks Honorary Rangers
Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:10 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Happy 50th Anniversary to the SANParks Honorary Rangers! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Happy 50th Anniversary :clap: :clap: .

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:33 pm 

The SANParks VHRs (at this stage) have three representatives at Skukuza this week; Imberbe, Ecojunkie and Porridge. Fly the Forum Flag high guys :clap: :clap:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I arrived yesterday lunch time and was straight into meeting folk! Nice goody bags for all the SHRs attending and all well organised.

Yesterday evening we had a free lecture on geology of Kruger by Prof Maurice Viljoen, and today he led a geology tour round the area (and I got to go along as a guide/rifle carrier). Imberbe was also on the trip.

It was long and tiring but very interesting. I have helped with the same trip on 3 occasions before, and always find I learn a bit more each time.

This evening there is a meet and greet session, but I am unable to attend because of transport problems.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:49 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks Ecojunkie for the report......... :thumbs_up:

It all sounds so interesting! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:35 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
The Geology lecture and tour sounds very interesting EJ! :dance: :dance:

Pity you couldn't attend the meet and greet! :(

Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Today has been a busy day! This morning a demonstration by the rangers - a traditional part of every Indaba, and this afternoon several lectures on various subjects. This evening there is a bush braai and then an astronomy practical for some delegates (if the cloud cover breaks up sufficiently!).

Sadly I have been busy with preparations for the course starting on Monday, and was unable to attend either of the sessions (had been booked this afternoon for a Medicinal Plants lecture). But I am going to the bush braai, and will be rifle security for the astronomy afterwards.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Too many things going on in one day for one person to attend all EJ! :doh:

Enjoy the Medicinal Plants lecture this afternoon, and the Bushbraai and astronomy practical this evening! (Hope there will be no clouds!) :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My humblest apologies for not posting sooner. My 3G signal was more like a -9a signal, so I couldn't do the necessary. I hope to make up for it with this post.

The Indaba was wonderful. Lowveld did an absolutely brilliant job, which is going to be a very tough act to follow for the rest of us. Hats off to you lot!!!!! They really did well, well organized, great content and the food .... the food, oh .... my .... greatness ... Did I mention the food? Only one word is appropriate here and that is BLIKSEM!!!! Mooi so julle!!!!

I left Joburg at midnight on the 20th, and arrived at Kruger gate at around 5.40am.For a change I was first in the queue. Listening to the baboon alarm calls at that time of the morning made me get a very self-satisfied grin on my face, I must admit. They finally opened the gate, and unsurprisingly, a JJ overtook myself and the car behind me on the bridge on the way in.

Seeing as I'm writing this in retrospect, I am very pleased to inform you that ALL vehicles will eventually be GPS monitored and tracked throughout the Park with special emphasis being placed on the JJ's (speed, behaviour at sightings etc). Species as well as weapon sensitive dogs will also be seen at EVERY gate in the near future.

I made my way down to Phabeni gate which was where we were going to begin our snare patrol from. First animal in was an ellie, and I'm nut sure whether the ellie or I got the biggest fright. Right next to the road, and completely unseen. He shook his head, I nearly peed in my pants, a truce declared.

So we all climbed on the vehicles at Phabeni eventually, and headed out of the Park to ultimately end up at someones lumber yard, after which we walked .... and walked .... and walked, eventually arriving at the fence of the Park, which pretty much borders on their back yards. It's a single barbed wire fence, which we climbed through to find ourselves in extremely thick bush, mostly reeds as we were very close to a river.

Making our own paths through the vegetation, we occasionally found snares which we stripped from their moorings immediately upon discovery. Something which incensed me greatly was the fact that these pigs which perpetrate these deeds couldn't be bothered to bring their own wire in. Instead, they bring pliers and sidecutters and cut the fence to make their snares. To add insult to injury, we found a buffalo which had been snared quite some time before. The scene was horrific, and I will refrain from going into more detail about this but it certainly didn't lower my blood pressure.

After what felt like 10 kms, but was more like 500 metres we climbed back through the fence and made our way back to the vehicles.

Arriving in Skuks and finally registering at the conference centre, I settled into my home for the next 4 nights. To be continued shortly ...

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:27 pm 

Thank you, Porridge :D and eagerly awaiting
Quote:
To be continued shortly ...
!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Oatspap :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Porridge!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

What great info about future improvements and insight into your activities.

Great news about canines and GPS, and I can only imagine how frustrating it is to go on snare patrol and see what you saw. :x

Looking forward to reading more.

And Happy Anniversary SANParks HR's!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for the great feedback Porridge! It sounds very promising - vehicles being GPS monitored, the dogs, etc.! :dance: :dance:

Must have been very sad to see that poor Buffalo! :cry:

Looking forward to more about the Indaba! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm also looking forward to reading about the Indaba. Thanks for this update, Porridge, and the rest that will follow.