Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: P E A P - Public Education and Awareness Project.
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:16 am 

This National Education Programme is driven by Piglet and Pooh Bear and they are doing an excellent job thereof.

End August they swooped on us, or shall I say trailered in on us, like the Scorpions, and caught us unawares in our own back yard. They were so busy they did not even attempt to "Drink the Cape in shape".

The duo attended an IKAPA HR function and explained the process to us. All of this sounded pretty daunting but we promissed to take the subject and run with it.

IKAPA has a new elected committee, for 2007, and at our recent strategic planning workshop I was there in body but not in mind, the mind being on the mountain, and when I beamed back to the meeting place I was the elected runner of PEAP.

This will be an extention of the labour of love as I am already involved with TMNP "SEEP" (Schools Environmental education Programme) where we take schools, and other youth groups, on a 2 day excursion up Table Mountain. We have at least 3 groups per week in the Park, and we are loving it. My better half is also involved so I need no excuse to not be at home.

After all this I propose that we start a PEAP forum, where all those HR's involved in the project, can swop, or steal ideas from each other in order to ensure that it becomes the success that Piglet is striving for. We need a National structure with all regions involved.

I thank you for reading up to here.

Post subject: Re: P E A P - Public Education and Awareness Project.
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

claudius wrote:
This will be an extention of the labour of love as I am already involved with TMNP "SEEP" (Schools Environmental education Programme) where we take schools, and other youth groups, on a 2 day excursion up Table Mountain. We have at least 3 groups per week in the Park, and we are loving it. My better half is also involved so I need no excuse to not be at home.

How wonderful, claudius!
It would be great if the kids could post a report here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 pm 

Hi all,
So much has happened in the last year. I need to keep my calendar close to recount it all, and that is just in the Gauteng area..............
We've done 8 school displays since Feb this year. We do displays at Primary School only - well - that is to say normally, this year we were invited to do a display at a high school -which we happily did.
We still have 3 schools left to do before the end of the year.
All photo's can be seen in the photo gallery under schools.

3 of the 7 shopping centre displays we did this year were invites from SANParks - Rand Easter Show, Getaway Show & Outdoor Adventure. We also did a display at Nedbanks Green Day - annually Nedbank has a organic day - where all things "green" are on sale or display, PEAP was only one of three non-profit organisations represented on the day. It was a privilege for us to be there. All photo's can been seen in the photo gallery under exhibitions.

Now - after much e-mailing and telephone calling, we are off to do another roadshow, this time in KZN region. They have set up 2 schools and a shopping centre in a week for us to do. The reason for the roadshow is to show other regions how we - in JHB region - handle schools and shopping centers, swop info and help the "new" region with a few start-up things. From there it will be up to KZN to carry the touch of education and awareness to the public - with as much encouragement and support from the PEAP squad as possible....

Next enry -
KZN roadshow....................... :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well done to you and your team, Piglet. :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:13 pm 

Thank you for the update Piglet! Good luck for the KZN roadshow!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:05 pm 

Meeting the KZN people during this passed week has been a real treat - arrived down here on Friday 19th October. We had an appointment with Midlands Liberty Mall, in PMB, to set up the display that would stay up for the next 2 days. A lot of HR's turned out, some from far away indeed, to help setup and get to see the display for the first time.
Saturday and Sunday were very busy with the public - the KZN members really "came to the party" with their support and willingness to get stuck in and learn. :clap: Packing up on Sunday evening in order to move on to Durban on Monday morning. Thank you so very much to the HR's in the PMB area for looking after me so well and allowing me to watch the rugby world cup!!
On to Durban on Monday - I don't mind getting lost but I stress about getting lost with the trailer - I still can't reverse with the trailer on!!
But thanx to some good directions and cell phones I was able to go directly to the house.
We did the recci's at both Morningside Primary and DPHS on Monday morning - just to see where we were going to be and what our setup ought look like.
Tuesday morning up eary and at the school by 6.15am - members of the KZN region were there already!! When we do a school setup at home it takes 2 hours because there are only two of us, now there are so many we are standing around for a while before we can start teaching. It was a good day - a BIG learning curve for all involved including myself - what an absolute joy working with this region, they are so involved and enthusiastic to get things off the ground.
Wednesday was a rest day - we went to the Natal Sharks Board to see if we could secure a few items for future exhibitions for the region - as they are the newest addition to the PEAP project they have no items to display and will need to start collecting and making contacts. We also went off to uShaka to Marine World for the same reason.
Thursday saw us at DPHS (Durban Prep High School) - two of the members took the day off work to be there and learn how to go about a school display!!! It is so wonderful to see how learners and teachers alike are taken aback when they see what we do and how we go about teaching the children about our National Parks and conservation in general.
I would just like to take this oppertunity to thank KZN region for all their help and enthusiasm, all the kindness and encouragement show for this project. I think it was a great success all around and was enjoyed by all. :dance:

I would also like to say at this time that Pooh Bear was sorely missed on this trip!! :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

wow, quite a schedule you guys :shock: well done and :clap: :clap: for all the hard work 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:12 pm 

I second Jay's :clap: :clap: for all the hard work you do Piglet! Thank you for keeping us posted! Where are you off to next? Perhaps if there are forum members in the area, they could stop by and say hello.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:21 pm 

That would been very cool Dinkybird. However now I'm off home for a while maybe we should report the roadshow a little earlier next year so that we can be visited by some of the formies during the displays. :wink: We have been asked to go to Lowvelt or Northern Cape next year - we'll see if the invite is remembered....... :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:51 pm 

Good idea - give us a bit of notice here and I am sure members would love to come by and meet with you and your team!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:17 pm 

P.E.A.P will he having a display at Bryanston Shopping Centre, Cnr. William Nicol & Ballyclare, Bryanston, Gauteng from 22 October 2008 until 25 October 2008, any volunteers contact Rob on 084 227 1967 or Alison on 082 741 4248.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

And there is a display at Riverside Mall in Nelspruit tomorrow and Sunday! I am going to help out on Saturday (with other HRs from the Lowveld region)...... If you are from the Nelspruit area come and support us!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:41 am 

A Big hello to all fellow PEAP and Hr members.

I see that nothing much has been said under this subject for a long time I hope that can change. I have been with PEAP JHB for a few months now and would love to hear from other regions. Please let me know what you are up to what displays you are doing? Look forward to hearing from you.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 pm 

Yes, PEAP is still very much around. Working so hard in the back-ground...
We went into the Kruger to do the display for the July school holidays, it was a great success, displaying our things and the conference centre that Mopani Camp has just completed.
We are going to do a display at a school in PTA on the 27th & 28th August. And there is a roadshow coming up in Addo in October - will keep you posted.......

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 am 

Hi All
Just to let you know that SANparks and PEAP are going to be at the Getaway show at the Dome this weekend. So if any of you are in the area pop in and have a look.:-)