Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Invasive alien: Butterfly bush (Gaura lindheimeri)
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure whether this is a wild flower or ... :? as I saw it in gardens as well as occassionally along the roadside. I'm not finding so far it in my fynbos fieldguide. When I asked what it was called, I was told a name that sounded like "gorrah", but that hasn't helped me to ID it. :wall: These pix were taken in my garden in Darling on 3 December 2009, but I saw it all through November as well. I think it's lovely, so I'd love to know what it is!

Post subject: Re: Plant ID needed
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
I'm not sure whether this is a wild flower or ... :? as I saw it in gardens as well as occassionally along the roadside. I'm not finding so far it in my fynbos fieldguide. When I asked what it was called, I was told a name that sounded like "gorrah", but that hasn't helped me to ID it. :wall: These pix were taken in my garden in Darling on 3 December 2009, but I saw it all through November as well. I think it's lovely, so I'd love to know what it is!

Hi arks,

Well unfortunately (as far as i know) this is an exotic garden plant from North America :x so will be a pity if they are growing along the roadsides.

They name you heard were right, although with pronunciation it created a problem :wink:
It is Gaura (i can imagine it being pronounced "gorrah") sp and i would guess probably Gaura lindheimeri, White Gaura or Butterfly bush.

Post subject: Re: Plant ID needed
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much, JB. It does help to know how to spell "gaura" :wink: Sadly, even tho it's native to the USA, it won't grow as far north as I live :( And amusing that I should discover a native US plant in South Africa. You'll be glad to know that I'm not really sure that I ever saw it along roadsides. All the pix I have of it were taken in private gardens.