Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cassytha filiformis - parasitic creeper
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:57 pm 

Close to the Timbavati River on the S39 I came across a single tree in a very well wooded area covered on one side (side pointing north and west) by a dense fibrous growth that reminded me of air plants I'd seen in USA except this "stuff" was very green.
What was quite strange is that no other tree was bedecked like this one. I've shown a photo here Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

This particular year there is a lot of this type of climbers growing in Kruger. It is a result of the good rains we had. I can't i.d. this particular species from this photo.

In the area just North of Afsaal picnic site, whole areas of bush is totally covered. It looks quite spooky early in the morning.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:59 am 

Freda wrote:
I'm sure JB or someone will help us out here :)

Ish putting me on the spot here Freda... and now i can't even claim 'rewards' :twisted:

Rooks, do you have any other pics of this creeper? Very difficult to make an id from this photo.

2 possibilities i can think of is:

Lime-yellow pea (Macrotyloma axillare)
A trailing and twisting legume with hairy stems and bright green ovate leaflets 3 to 5 cm long and 3 cm wide, slightly pubescent but glossy. Flowers greenish yellow, 1.2 to 1.5 cm long (small like you mentioned), and it flowers over much of the growing season.

:? a wild guess but maybe some type of Dodder!?
Dodder parasitizes various kinds of wild and cultivated plants.
The flowers are numerous, white, pink or yellowish, small (2 to 4 mm long depending on species), and can be borne in tight balls or in a loose cluster (again depending on species). Flowers normally appear from early June to the end of the growing season.
One that comes to mind is Cassytha filiformis .

Sorry but unfortunately without close-ups i won't be able to give you an answer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:54 pm 

rooks wrote:
Thanks for your input. I have photo at home so will try to get an enlarged shot of leaf structure although maybe it will be a bit fuzzy. The structure reminded me of a lightweight airy kind of creeper (as I mentioned previously it was a bit like an air plant in structure but very green) and very dense. It was the only tree with the creeper on it which might add to the parasite suggestion you made.

I will post a photo tonight

... sorry for late post. Notice how fine the tendrils are

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:21 pm 

rooks wrote:
rooks wrote:
Thanks for your input. I have photo at home so will try to get an enlarged shot of leaf structure although maybe it will be a bit fuzzy. The structure reminded me of a lightweight airy kind of creeper (as I mentioned previously it was a bit like an air plant in structure but very green) and very dense. It was the only tree with the creeper on it which might add to the parasite suggestion you made

I will post a photo tonight
... sorry for late post. Notice how fine the tendrils are

[img]...[/img][/img]

No problem rooks, i was out of town for few days.

Ok this one is better and now i can confirm that it was my second guess.
This is Cassytha filiformis of the Lauraceae (avocado family). A holoparasite (superficially looking like dodder, which is Cuscutta of the Convolvulaceae; but not at all related).
This is an extraordinary example of convergent evolution in which a single genus in each family has developed a parasitic mode of life. Like most parasites, mistletoe and dodder can be harmful to the host plant they are growing on. This is especially true if they steal too much moisture and vital nutrients from their host.
Dodder can sometimes grow so thick that the host shrub is barely discernible.