Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Impala Lily (Adenium multiflorum)
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Post subject: In which camp did I find this impalalily?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:49 pm 

I would have thought the picture was taken in Shingwedzi Rest Camp, which is full of impala lilies. However, if so the picture was not taken recently, as when I visited the camp a couple of weeks ago it was bone dry (no rain for > 1 year), hardly any leafs on trees and bushes. However, the impala lilies were flowering beautifully, as illustrated by a picture I took on Oct. 22, 2005.

Post subject: Impala Lily
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Can anyone help with this plant. I have heard it is poisonous and that you should not grow it in you garden. No one can tell me what is poisonous about it, e.g. will it kill plants planted near it?, will it make you sick if you eat it? etc.
I think it is a really stunning looking plant and would love to add it to my succulant garden bed but I can't find them anywhere as people say they are poisonous.
Where can I buy some and what is poisonous about it??

PS Those of you who don't know what the plant looks like, it almost looks like a tiny Baobab with pink flowers. If you are in Shingwedzi camp have a look out for it they are everywhere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi snoobab,

I googled this info: Adenium multiflorum

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:01 am 

Perhaps the nursery at Skukuza sells it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Gwen. That helps a lot. I have searched everywhere for them and no luck. Will be near Skukuza end Sept so will have a look there.

Post subject: Re: Impala Lily
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:13 am 

Snoobab wrote:
Can anyone help with this plant. I have heard it is poisonous and that you should not grow it in you garden. No one can tell me what is poisonous about it, e.g. will it kill plants planted near it?, will it make you sick if you eat it? etc.
I think it is a really stunning looking plant and would love to add it to my succulant garden bed but I can't find them anywhere as people say they are poisonous.
Where can I buy some and what is poisonous about it??

PS Those of you who don't know what the plant looks like, it almost looks like a tiny Baobab with pink flowers. If you are in Shingwedzi camp have a look out for it they are everywhere.

Snoobab,

The poison is from watery latex in the bark and fleshy parts of the trunk. Leaves and flowers are poisonous to goats and cattle, but the plants are sometimes heavily browsed (baboons etc like the roots) cand are not considered to be of much toxicological significance. Despite the toxicity, it is used in medicinal applications.

We had one in our garden in Pta 1 stage (bought it at nursery in Skukuza, but think other nurseries would maybe also have some), and none of the other plants around it died.
Ours however did not like the climate (maybe too cold :? and never flowered :cry: died some years later (think from frost).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@snoobab

Check your pm (your private one, not the forum's). I work at a retail nursery and we do carry stock most of the time. And we're close to you I think. Will send you the name and address.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks guys.
Johann as mentioned I will be there to get one. Thanks for the info JB. I have two succulent gardens at the top of my drive in Edenvale, they both get exellent sun yet are quite sheltered from the frost. All cacti and succulents in them are flowering like mad at the moment so i'm going to give the Impala Lily a bash and see what happens. I will watch it and if need be protect it.
Once again thanx everyone for the help/info

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:41 pm 

Jakkalsbessie wrote:
We had one in our garden in Pta 1 stage (bought it at nursery in Skukuza, but think other nurseries would maybe also have some), and none of the other plants around it died.
Ours however did not like the climate (maybe too cold :? and never flowered :cry: died some years later (think from frost).

We bought one (a small one) at the Skukuza nusery for my mother-in-law who stays in Montana (Pretoria) and it also died. My mother brought some of her older plants she grew in Tshikondeni (close to the Pafuri gate) with her when they retired. And they are doing fine in Doringpoort (Pretoria) which is probably less than 7km from my in-laws. Maybe the age of the plant has something to do with it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The one article I read says that they grow quite easily from seeds but it can take up to 5 yrs before they flower and that the first 5 yrs are the years it needs the most protection. Once established they are quite resiliant. We can only see.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Did a bit of a Google, and here's what I found:

Adenium obesum
Family: Apocynaceae
Desert Rose, Impala Lily

Adenium is not generally grown in moist tropical gardens but is often seen as a decorative pot plant; it may also be used in rock gardens. It needs full sun and a well-drained potting mixture.

Good drainage is essential, as are two to three hours of direct morning sun. The plant should be drenched with water and fed a diluted 20-20-20 fertilizer, but only infrequently. Neglect is preferred. Many caudiciforms with unusual forms are good candidates for bonsai.

Challenges: Few -- but if bugs appear, a pyrethrum-based insecticide is recommended.

This species thrives in full, all-day sun but will tolerate lower light conditions; it can be grown as an indoor bonsai if excellent indoor light is provided.

Adeniums need bright light if they are to flower. Most hybrids and species start blooming in the spring when the conditions are warm and days start to increase its length. Many continue blooming through the fall and winter (in warmer climate zones). Light quality is very important. Bright filtered light is best. In areas of too high light intensities, more shade may be necessary, but in areas where light is not as burning, plants may be kept outdoors unprotected. Please note that the caudex (the swollen base trunk) is very susceptable to sun scalding. Protection by a smaller shrubby succulent growing at the base of the pots will help shade the trunk.

Water moderately from spring to autumn. Compost must dry out before watering. Water sparingly in winter. Misting is necessary. In winter it should not be exposed to temperatures beneath 15 °C.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:39 pm 

Snoobab wrote:
Thanks guys.
Johann as mentioned I will be there to get one. Thanks for the info JB. I have two succulent gardens at the top of my drive in Edenvale, they both get exellent sun yet are quite sheltered from the frost. All cacti and succulents in them are flowering like mad at the moment so i'm going to give the Impala Lily a bash and see what happens. I will watch it and if need be protect it.
Once again thanx everyone for the help/info

:lol: seems as if you have a great spot for them then and hopefully they will flourish 8)
If i remember correct they are also not that expensive at Skukuza so maybe buy 2 or 3 and plant them in the different gardens/spots, then hopefully 1 of them will 'make' it. Maybe it also just need protection for the first 2 winters or so until 'settled'...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:05 pm 
Jakkalsbessie wrote:
Leaves and flowers are poisonous to goats and cattle, but the plants are sometimes heavily browsed (baboons etc like the roots) cand are not considered to be of much toxicological significance.

Something is eating the leaves of some of my impala lilies in Marloth….I have always thought it is the kudus….never seen them eat, merely presumed…will have to have a closer look. :?
My one lily started flowering two weeks ago…is this the right time…definitely not spring yet and it is a cold winter?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:14 pm 

Jumbo wrote:
Jakkalsbessie wrote:
Leaves and flowers are poisonous to goats and cattle, but the plants are sometimes heavily browsed (baboons etc like the roots) cand are not considered to be of much toxicological significance.

Something is eating the leaves of some of my impala lilies in Marloth….I have always thought it is the kudus….never seen them eat, merely presumed…will have to have a closer look. :?
My one lily started flowering two weeks ago…is this the right time…definitely not spring yet and it is a cold winter?

:? that would be really interesting to know... you'll have to keep your eyes peeled from now on :twisted: !
Maybe even some type of caterpillar!?

Yep it is the right time... they flower anything between May and September :D