Skip to Content

Tree: Spekboom (Portulacaria afra)

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

Blougansie

Re: Spekboom

Unread postby Blougansie » Tue May 26, 2009 4:09 am

Not really OWN , just saw you were googling out your first breakfast for your next visit to Camdeboo !!!

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue May 26, 2009 4:21 am

So Spekboom with fried ostrich eggs and boerewors in Camdeboo is not an option :big_eyes: :(
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Blougansie

Unread postby Blougansie » Tue May 26, 2009 4:25 am

Imberbe refered to 'Spekvet" but Who knows the story behind the story about 'Spekskiet' (Skiet in Afrikaans meaning to Shoot -and it normally would mean that someone was lying or over exadurating bits of a story- any takers this morning?

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue May 26, 2009 4:26 am

:thumbs_up: :lol:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

bishop3006
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bishop3006 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 pm

This is incredible. Everywhere I turn the last couple of days I bump into the spekboom! Tonight at church I picked up the latest newsletter, and what do I find? Spekboom!

Actually refers to an interesting article - spekboom soaks up co2

Blougansie, you ask about re-establishing them? You'll be interested to note the following link in one of the comments on that page (I didn't follow this link yet...)

The eastern Cape Makana project to reforest 4500 hectares of land with Spekboom is underway. For more information on this : http://www.brigid-ariston.blogspot.com

Don't follow that to get to the spekboom article. Other interesting things yes, not spekboom. Took me a while to get to this page Purslane Tree - Portulacaria afra, which once again leads to this PDF document, which actually gives a 404 Error and refers to this page...

Seeing this is Rhodes, maybe we need to task Rusty Justy to find out if this ever happened or what?
Marius
Hunter, nature lover, conservationist.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Blougansie

Unread postby Blougansie » Wed May 27, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks Mr Bishop3006 - I'm following up on this - sounds ultimatly cool!!!
Very happy to hear that people are actually considering planting!!!!!! :D :lol: :clap:

My quote of the week from Larry Page Co-founder of Google

Have a healty disregard for the impossible

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Wed May 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Not too sure who to contact, but I'll try see what happened with the project :D
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

bishop3006
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bishop3006 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 pm

We're patient... :mrgreen: Thanks for being willing to take it up. In that last link, the PDF document, you'll find names. They're in all likelihood probably not there any more, but it may give you a start. :thumbs_up:
Marius
Hunter, nature lover, conservationist.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 pm

No problem :thumbs_up: :D
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Blougansie

Unread postby Blougansie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 am

Geuss what , one of my first jobs back in SA , ja , I'm now back from Dubai , and working close to WCNP , for a large West Coast Environmental Company (just how lucky can one be in life ,ha ha ) and one of my first jobs , can you believe , is a large carbon sinc project for one of the large industries there in Langebaan area - I have some very interresting new info regarding carbon sinc , processes etc for people who are interrested. Contact me directly , as some info is rather ' sensitive' and not for general broadcast at this time ,yet - whether we'll be using Spek in the project is not certain ,as it did not occur in this area historically - we're looking to rather rehabilitate most of the area back to natural 'Strandveld'- but we are looking at areas around buildings etc to use these -iow not in the recoverable veld. Kindly ask moderator , Mr. Boorgatspook , to put you into contact for details on Carbon sinc.
WCNP is absolutely beautiful at present with the good winter rains - and its actually still raining - amazing to see pioneer growth next to the tar road where some work was done recently ,on the way to Stofbergfontein - Groete

Robert J. Baran

Unread postby Robert J. Baran » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:34 pm

For additional info on this wonderful plant, please see http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Portulacaria.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Cordially,

Robert

Return to “Plants”