Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Cape plants
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Since this post didn't get noticed when I included it in the general ID thread, I've now made it a separate topic. Hope the mods will be OK with this, please. I will keep adding to this thread (as with my current bird ID thread) as I have quite a few mystery plants :)

There won't be as many of these as mystery birds, but I do have quite a few. This first batch is of plants found in the Cape, Cape Point, and West Coast National Park.

1. I know it's an erica (on the left), but there are so many ...

ImageImage

and is the 2nd one (on the right) also an erica, but a shrub one?

2. Seen in WCNP

ImageImage

3. Also seen in WCNP

ImageImage

Thanks!!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:32 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi arks,

Hope someone else living in the Cape or plant expert can help you out here, as I must admit I don’t know that much about erica’s and some other Cape plants :redface:
(a very good reason to get myself a couple of new books :twisted: )

Anyhow here goes my guess:
First pic (the red) – pretty sure - Erica plukenetii
Second pic… don’t have a clue :? sorry a bit too unclear and far for me to even try.
Third pic a species of Euphorbia (E. mauritanica?)
And fourth one a species of Limonium

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for joining in Imberbe, even tho you're not a southerner. I'll get to my KNP plants soon, but first, these are a few more fynbos plants, which I think I've IDed correctly :)

1. This first pic appears to be fire heath (erica cerinthoides), but what about those behnd the tortoise, which look similar, but have yellow as well as red flowers? :?

ImageImage

Aha! I've just had a look at the PlantZAfrica searchable database and there it says that this plant can have other colours 8) However, it doesn't appear to have any info on these other two ericas :(

2. I think these are both red heath (erica coccinea) ?

ImageImage

3. And finally, this may be the same plant as that distant one in my previous post, called pink hairy erica (erica hirtiflora).

My excellent but limited resource for these IDs is a super little book called Wild About Cape Town, by Duncan Butchart, Southern Book Publishers ISBN 1 86812 597 1, published in 1996. It has a cross-section of the most common birds, mammals, plants, fish, reptiles and more. I've found it very useful and helpful for my travels around the Cape, despite its limitations :D It even helped me to ID a butterfly I'd photographed, but was no help for some dragonflies, which I'll be posting in the Animals forum. Still, a really nifty little book!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Last edited by arks on Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 pm 

arks,

After my guess last Friday I e-mailed your pics to a well known wildflower expert and author of wild flower guides and he has now replied and agreed with my guesses. Unfortunately also not sure about the species of Limonium :?

I have in the mean time ordered a number of new books, and will have a look again at all your pics once they have arrived.

I had a look at your newest pics and after a quick scan through my current books I agree with the id’s you have made. Problem is there are SO many types of Erica's and some of them have almost unnoticeable differences :roll:

One book i ordered covers more than 450 species Ericas :shock: so hopefully we'll be able to id them then :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WOW, JB!! Thanks so much for your efforts on these IDs. I had no idea there were so many ericas!! And I'm very intrigued that that red-branched plant is a variety of euphorbia — so different from the big green ones I've seen in KNP.

I have a few more Cape plant pix that I'll post maybe later on today ... really appreciate your sleuthing here. Just so long as it's stil "fun". It's very illuminating for me and also I hope we're making a few more forumites aware of and more interested in the amazing variety of plants in the parks — and especially in the Cape parks!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:11 pm 

arks wrote:
WOW, JB!! Thanks so much for your efforts on these IDs. I had no idea there were so many ericas!! And I'm very intrigued that that red-branched plant is a variety of euphorbia — so different from the big green ones I've seen in KNP.

I have a few more Cape plant pix that I'll post maybe later on today ... really appreciate your sleuthing here. Just so long as it's stil "fun". It's very illuminating for me and also I hope we're making a few more forumites aware of and more interested in the amazing variety of plants in the parks — and especially in the Cape parks!

Amazing hey, i also did not know there were so many.

Yep always 'fun' for me... i have a big passion for wildflowers and plants and love to learn more and hopefully one day 'master' it.
Also as i told you i don't know Cape plants very well :redface: so i realised it is about time i start expanding my knowledge in that regard!
Except for the book on Erica’s i have bought and ordered 7 :shock: other books regarding flowers etc in these 'other' regions...
(that is above the about 25+ others i already have :roll: )

Have a mentioned before that I’m a book/knowledge junkie? :whistle:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, JB! I'm also a book junkie and have now quite a collection of just RSA ones, but have to limit myself a bit or I'd have no room in my luggage for anything but the books and cameras :roll: And books are SO heavy to transport! But I think I must get myself a basic flower/plant book next trip ... if I can find just one?

Here's my next lot of mystery plants from the Cape:

1. This is a tree ... and I'd at first thought I was seeing flowers until I got closer

2. Both of these plants were on the tidal flats at Geelbek (WCNP)

ImageImage

3. Don't know whether you can see them clearly enough, the little blue flowers growing in front of the rock?

And thanks again!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:20 pm 

Yes know all about your dilemma on packing books... everyone's always telling me to get my priorities right :roll: always tagging some books along.

Ok the first one is actually very easy...
It is a Pepper tree, Schinus molle, Peperboom (Afr).
A quite like this tree although (just like the Jacaranda tree) it is also on the 'weeds and invasive plants' list.

When the list was brought out initially it was a category 3 plant: INVASIVE PLANTS – ORNAMENTAL

Which mean:
*No further planting allowed (except with special permission)
*No trade in propagative material
*Existing plants may remain but must be prevented from spreading
*Prohibited within 30 m of the 1:50 year floodline of watercourses or wetlands, or as directed by the executive officer.

I see however it has now changed to category 5: Species under Surveillance.

As for the rest :redface: you'll have to give me some time with them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Fascinating stuff, JB. Another alien invader that I like :redface: , but at least I didn't see it in a national park. Rather, it was at a wine farm in the Darling Hills.

Jakkalsbessie wrote:
As for the rest :redface: you'll have to give me some time with them.

Please :redface: :redface: No rush on any of this, but it's so great to find out what the plants are.

Now please don't spend all of your weekend swotting on my account :wink: :lol:

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Arks, I don't know the exact species, but 3 is a Plectranthus. I grow quite a few species of Plectranthus in my garden. The plant in the foreground is an Agapanthus.

The green grass-like plant in 2 is in the Restionaceae family. I felt honour-bound to try to identify it more precisely, given my forum nickname :), but unfortunately I couldn't get the picture to download. Will try again tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, restio! I think I found the species here — that's quite a useful website :)

I know that there are quite a lot of different restios, and my book only has a very few :( — and to my untrained eye they all look much alike ... but they are beautiful. If the pic is still giving you problems, I can try to PM it to you?

Will now post my nexy batch of plants even tho there are still some of these that aren't IDed. Perhaps Imberbe and Pilane will have another look ...

Thanks again to you and JB for your sleuthing on these, it's much appreciated!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here's my last batch of Cape flowers.

1. Image

2. Image

3. Image

4. Image

I was able to ID the butterfly (I think it's a painted lady?) from my generalist book, but not the flowers :( ... so hope you can help!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jakkalsbessie wrote:

First pic (the red) – pretty sure - Erica plukenetii
Second pic… don’t have a clue :? sorry a bit too unclear and far for me to even try.
Third pic a species of Euphorbia (E. mauritanica?)
And fourth one a species of Limonium

Arks, I finally got my dad to have a look at your pics. He's a botanist, but more interested in ecology than taxonomy. JB, he was very impressed by your IDs! So now I'm going to go through all the different posts and tell you what he said...

All of JB's answers above confirmed. The Euphorbia is indeed E. mauritanica.

The second pic of the pink plant in the distance is an Erica, but they are very difficult identify, even from close-ups.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Thanks for joining in Imberbe, even tho you're not a southerner. I'll get to my KNP plants soon, but first, these are a few more fynbos plants, which I think I've IDed correctly :)

1. This first pic appears to be fire heath (erica cerinthoides), but what about those behnd the tortoise, which look similar, but have yellow as well as red flowers? :?

Yes, it is E. cerinthoides.

The tortoise is an Angulate Tortoise, and the flowers behind it are Penaea sp. In the foreground, the green plant is Thamnochortus sp.

arks wrote:
2. I think these are both red heath (erica coccinea) ?

This picture did not display.

Quote:
3. And finally, this may be the same plant as that distant one in my previous post, called pink hairy erica (erica hirtiflora).

My dad agreed that it was Erica sp, but wasn't sure which species. Could well be hirtiflora.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Here's my next lot of mystery plants from the Cape:

1. This is a tree ... and I'd at first thought I was seeing flowers until I got closer

JB is spot-on, of course! ;-)

arks wrote:
2. Both of these plants were on the tidal flats at Geelbek (WCNP)

The succulent on the left is in the Chenopodaceae, and is Salsola sp.

The grassy plant on the left is more likely to be a Juncus than a Restionaceae, as the bract extends beyond the inflorescence. On restios, the inflorescence is terminal.

arks wrote:
3. Don't know whether you can see them clearly enough, the little blue flowers growing in front of the rock?

I was right about the Agapanthus and Plectranthus sp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next