SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fevertree and Palm tree - Quizz
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:36 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Just thought that it was very interesting to see these two tree so close together.Where did I see them and what type of Palm tree is it?

Not to far from Crooks Corner??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thats near Pafuri, east of picnic site toward that old police sta., Lala palm it would be- nice tall oke.

w

Post subject: Ilala palms on H1-3
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:01 am 

Last edited by DinkyBird on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:45 pm 

It is the ilala palm. They start off like this before they grow taller via a slender trunk.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was once told that this palm tree makes good Beer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can get a drink similar to Amarula called Ilala Cream. I bought a bottle on my last trip - it has a slightly sour taste in amongst all the creamy yumminess.

Post subject: Re: Kruger Trees
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm 

Amazing! Looks like we have three of South Africa's six palms in these posts. Guys, there are 2 species of Lala palm in the Kruger Park (see Meg Coates Palgrave's tree book, and Flora Tropical East Africa has nice pictures of the differences). Hyphaene crinita tends to grow low and clumped, and (critical difference) has fruits described by the Kew fundis as "cottage loaf" shaped -- round with a little bolletjie on top. It's common in the southern 3/4 of the Park. Hyphaene petersiana grows tall, and is more common from Shingwidzi northwards; there's a well-known tree in Shingwidzi and another just outside Namutoni at Etosha -- and plenty in northern Botswana too. Its fruits are almost spherical, without the bolletjie. Then there's the exciting one in the first post on palms. This looks to me like it has properly-fan-like leaves, with all the leaflets coming off the same point on the stalk. The swelling 3/4 way up the trunk is characteristic too -- of Borassus aethiopum, which is otherwise only known from near Leydsdorp, and then from Malawi northwards. Congratulations to someone for finding the second South African locality of a most interesting tree!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you, Hfglen :D

You seem to know your "stuff". I hope that we see a lot more of you in future.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:50 am 

Good morning
I can still remember the days were the trees each had a id nr/tag on them and if I recall correct Total still sponsored the maps and on them were the list with the botanical name and the folk name.
Any chance of this being reinstated ?
Rene :pray: :clap: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 pm 

Thank you, Meandering Mouse. I'll be sure to drop in from time to time.

Renevr: Can't answer for SANParks, but can offer a botanists-eye view of the problem. Unfortunately, scientific knowledge of trees changes (improves?) over time, and so names change, and more plants are found that just scrape it on to the list of trees. As a result, although or maybe because the list you remember has been maintained over the years, it's now a mess (not to put too fine a point on it), and really needs to be scrapped and started again. Not only because we now have to insert names between names that were inserted between names (etc.) with consecutive numbers on the list (what was 147.17 again?), but also because the systematic ideas underlying the sequence of the original list are now known to be, er, suspect. So yes it would be possible to put numbers on trees again (if one could think of a foolproof way of doing so without damaging the tree), but with all due respect to those who want to hang on to the list we have, imho this would really not be a good idea until some fairly basic revision of the list has been done.

That said, there is some good news. I see there is a thread here on DNA bar-coding the KNP trees. One of my research projects involves making an electronic key to 'all the trees in Africa' -- using a list that the bar-coders and I at least talk to each other about occasionally (I don't have formal links with them, through nobody's fault at all). It would be the easiest thing in the world to add numbers to this list when we're reasonably sure it's decently accurate, and probably not far off the second-easiest thing to publish it once we've worked through the issues of what common names, in what languages, what about different concepts of the same species yadda yadda yadda. The obvious advantage of doing so wuld be that if you see a tag numberes 12345 (it could hardly be less than 5 digits) on, say a Cape Chestnut in Addo / Zuurberg, and you recognise the tree, then when you go to Kenya and see another tree labelled 12345, you'll be able to greet an old friend.

Thank you for bearing with this long lecture.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Not a long lecture at all hfglen, but very interesting information.

I think that all to often we do not understand enough about DNA coding and the significance. Since developing an interest in trees, I am struck at how difficult it can be to identify a tree.

I have noticed that conservationists are now taking much more note of the impact on the flora than in previous times. An example is Mapungubwe, where elephants are kept away from some of the more vulnerable trees.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 pm 

It is also debatable whether you want to have tags on the trees in the parks.

It certainly has the advantage of helping people to identify and get to know more trees. This should be encouraged, since few visitors really appreciate the trees and even less actually know the trees.

But then on the other hand, do you really want a national park to start looking like the N1 highway with boards up on the trees next to the roads? What happened to the "wild" experience?

Maybe preference should be given to tagging trees inside the camps, and at pick nick sites?

:hmz:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:37 pm 

Imberbe, I think I agree with you. It would (might?) be fantastic if at least some of the camps had collections of the rare / special trees of the area, suitably tagged, where the curious could walk around and get to know them. But on the whole I agree with you about tags on the trees in the wild. In addition, the nail holding up the tag gives far too many diseases a six-lane highway into the tree, and if the tree lives long enough, it can mangle the tag and the whole thing looks sordid and unkempt -- not to mention the folded tag being bad for the tree, too.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Peter Derichs, in "Peter's Guide to the Kruger Park" has added some photos and descriptions of various trees in his book. I am really looking forward to making use of this on my next trip.

I would, however, like to see a more comprehensive tree guide where we can go out and identify various trees and read more about their place in the eco system. I would be more than happy to add such a book to my collection.

As much as I love and enjoy looking at trees, I find them rather difficult to identify. I would also like to know as much about a tree as possible. I think I'm too blonde for my current tree guide.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 pm 

What guide are you using, Mouse?

Family Glen will be in the KNP in 2 weeks' time, with Piet van Wyk's Field Guide, the Jacana Lowveld Tree Spotting book and the Mpumalanga tree book (Schmidt et al 2002, Jacana). Oh, and a draft computer-aided identification key by myself. Which should get a name for the tree, but won't tell us what it's doing there. Some of that ecological information is in academic papers (some of that incomprehensible), but probably more is completely unknown.