Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Migration of Zebras
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We saw hundreds of Zebra on the move off the H10 between Lower-Sabie and Tshokwane (in a south easterly direction). There were quite a number of Blouwildebeest amongst them as well. It seems to be a mini migration. Where were they going to?

Post subject: Re: Migration of Zebras
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:34 am 

Bennie, not sure where they are heading but I saw the same thing about three weeks ago on the Tropic of Capricorn Loop. :huh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Interesting!

I wonder if a study has been done in the last 35 years or so on migration patterns in Kruger. If so it would make fascinating reading.

I guess this would be new, maybe it would have to do with the rainy period the KNP has had over the last decade or so, maybe it is the extra land available and the fact that there isn't any fences on the eastern boundary anymore?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The area to the west of Mlondozi that Bennievis describes had since the recording of the history of the area been a gathering area for animals that are assumed to instinctively migrate towards the escarpment in the west where water occurs throughout the dry winter season , sadly no longer possible due to the KNP western boundary fence and human population expansion .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have read about this. Can't remember where off hand as I am at work. Will have to check my books this evening.

Apparently Zebra move between the Satara area and Lower Sabie/Croc Bridge twice a year. They move South East during winter and then back North West during the wetter months. I think it has something to do with the various veld types, and the palatibility of the grass in the 2 regions.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:12 am 

Has anyone seen these groups of zebra recently? Interested for a story I'm doing for Wild magazine ...

Thanks for any info,
Adrian
www.roadmedia.co.za

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:17 pm 

I saw this for the first time about five years ago, this time of year, July/August, and they were heading North West in the area north of LS.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 pm 

We have saw this also about 5years ago on the tar road from Satara up to Nwanetsi. So far as one could see was zebras (hundreds) and the dust in the air while they was moving.

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bennievis,

I was at the same place and wondered the same thing -- saw them the first time on Friday, June 25, at the bend in the H10, just before the dirt road turns right, behind Muntshe mountain. The zebras were in the black, burnt section across the Mlondozi river.
I did go back the following Monday on the long s128 loop, and found many paths criss-crossing the road, which had recently been burnt black. I liked the patterns, and hoped to find some zebra crossing the road, which could make good photos -- black and white against black and yellow paths.
The next day it rained, but in the evening I went back there. I found a few zebras disappearing in a northerly direction at sunset. Did the same thing again on Wednesday morning, and saw lots of zebras at a waterhole where the s128 meets up with the H10. Had breadkfast at Nkumbe lookout, and saw a huge herd of zebra moving south, towards the s128.
I immediately stopped eating and drove back to the s128. About 3 km down this road, I met up with a few hundred zebras, slowly plodding along across the road in their DAILY? mini-migration in the direction of Muntshe waterhole, where I had seen them the previous Friday. I did get some interesting pictures, but the rain had washed away a lot of the black cinders and soot, so not as dramatic as hoped for. Will put one or two of these pics on my trip report within a day or two: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=45138

The only conclusion I can reach is that these animals do a daily am walk to the waterhole near the H10, and return to grazing grounds near Nkumbe in the afternoon.
Of course there are bigger migrations, and Mlondozi area is known for winter concentrations of huge herds of zebras.

In the 60's my dad took us to a similar spectacle just east of Tshokwane near the Wolhuter tree, and there were thousands of wildebeest congregated there during a dry winter. It seems as if many of them have died in the meantime, and the numbers haven't recovered (change of habitat?/increase in lion population?).

Lets wait till some boffin can give us the bigger picture!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The zebra and wildebeest migration does happen most years as said earlier in the thread our family has looked out for them most years when they are in the park at the right time normally around august my parents once saw about 5 to 6000 travelling together from the look out on the nkumbe view site some 5 years back but the migration seems to vary in size and area it is dispersed over from year to year and the time is also variable according to the water rains etc.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

adrianbailey wrote:
With all the burnt veld in the area now sprouting fresh green shoots, the zebras seem to have dispersed a bit. There are still large numbers about, but spread all over the area and not concentrated in any specific place.

Adrian
http://www.roadmedia.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also think that generally the animals are more spread out and dispersed nowadays .
In August/September 1970 we were in LS , and used to go to Mlondozi lookout very early in the morning . At that time they had not yet built the dam wall , and the Mlondozi waterhole was basically just a muddy pool . I recall watching as the zebra and wildebeest came down to the water in their hundreds , gathering in groups , slowly approach the water , and at the slightest noise the whole lot would run away in a loud thunder and dust from their hooves . We also watched as a pride of lion lay in ambush , tried to catch a w/beest .
After the Mlondozi dam was built , we never saw the zebra and w/beest in such numbers again .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
okie wrote:
After the Mlondozi dam was built , we never saw the zebra and w/beest in such numbers again .

Has anyone recently seen a zebra migration in Kruger? Is the Lower-Sabie/Tshokwane the only area where someone might see such a zebra migration?