Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi MikeGoss, first of all it was great meeting you and family :D and also nice to eventually see the "famous" video of the leopard with its kill. :mrgreen: ..I enjoyed watching it :D

Here is a pic of our leopard...a very young male marking his territory and not nearly as exciting as your video..taken close to Muzandzeni picnic spot in April...

Post subject: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm 

We spotted this leopard the beginning of June at a waterhole just north of Afsaal. Did not have my camera ready, thus only half a leopard.
The second shot was better!
The spots look like paw prints!

Satara 20-22 Sept
Olifants 23 Sept - Astronomy game drive booked
Shingwedzi 27 Dec - 2 Jan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there,

Here are some pics from our latest trip to Kruger over the June long weekend (13-16 June). The rest of the pics are on our trip report - Kruger - Leopard Dawn

The above privncess we saw about 3km down the Phabeni Rd from the Skukuza side at about 07h30
This big guy was also seen on the Phabeni Rd approx 10km along from the Skukuza side at about midday!! :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am 

Our nephew in LA Email this with only a caption of ; "how to keep warm and comfy in a tree".

Post subject: leopards - where are you?
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:06 pm 

know the feeling. with many visits to the park and very few sightings one wonders sometimes as all you hear about are people at camp talking about their leopard sightings. "but we drove past there"?! anyway , all i can say is sometimes the wait is worth it as the longer you wait the bigger the blessing will be. we were in the park in June and had 2 sightings of absolute pure bliss , with not a vehicle to spoil it. 5min with a female on our first drive , near olifants , on day 1 and nearly an hour with a nice male near ls on last day. UNBELEIVABLE! :D :) :)
ImageLarge
ImageLarge
ImageLarge
on the one pic you can see how he is "drooling"

Last edited by Elsa on Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics resized.

Post subject: LIT with clothes
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:31 pm 
Nannie wrote:
Our nephew in LA Emailed this with only a caption of ; "how to keep warm and comfy in a tree".

Hello and welcome, Nannie!

I wouldn't worry too much, the jacket doesn't have blood and isn't too torn - , I reckon the leopard just found it or snatched it and took it up instinctively! :twisted:

Could even be a hoax... :roll:

(In fact it is a hoax...!)

Last edited by Richprins on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:41 pm 
Not the greatest pics, but taken an hour apart.

First ones on Doispane Road just east of S-65 turnoff, Saturday morning.

Next couple from Sand River low-level bridge, looking east.

(Pics courtesy of evie)

Post subject: Re: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have been very fortunate - have seen leopards fairly frequent. Last year July when we were in Maroela, we saw leopards two mornings in a row, just as we got on the Orpen road. I think the one must have been mommy and the other morning it was a fairly young leopard. It was just past 6am and I was so anxious to take photo's, so the settings was not right, therefor the pics are not the best :redface:

Then in Jan this year, I was on my own in Kruger, just for an afternoon. I had seen some nice birds and was on my way to exit again at Croc Bridge. On my way there I just said a little prayer, asking to see a leopard in a tree, close to the road, with no one else there. I stopped for yet another juvenile Bateleur in a tree to the right and started pulling away, when my eye caught a "spotted glimps"
And there was Leopard in the tree to the left of the Bateleur. And there was no other cars :dance: 8)
I took photos while it was lying on the lower branch, then he got up and jumped two branches higher, where it had the prey he was eating on. Only after he jumped higher did there come other cars.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm 
Excellent, Yolandè!

I wonder if the Croc River Road shouldn't become the new "Hot Spot" for leopard, as it seems to be almost a surety these days! :lol:

Imberbe, "into" is one word, and "spelling-deprived" should be hyphenated! :roll:

Post subject: The ultimate leopard
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:29 pm 

My mom had always been nagging that she wants to see a leopard in a tree. Not even after seeing a mom and her cub right next to the road, was she satisfied. Oh no... Then, during the last trip (November 2007) we saw FIVE leopards. The third leopard, so we heard, were up a tree just over this and around that... But when we got there, the male had got bored, and had descended. We only caught a glimpse of the white tail tip, as he was marching through the veld.

And then we saw these two, somewhere between Lower Sabie and Crocodile bridge!
ImageLarge

(I had to tinker with the exposure a bit, sorry about the background glare.)

I'm surprised at the colour difference between the mom and her cub.
They were obviously stuffed, the cub dozing off.

We sat for some time, just taking in the sight. :popcorn:
After watching the cub through my binoculars, I 'branched' off (literally), and to my shock, surprise and delight (WOW!) – found this!

ImageLarge

It's not very clear, sorry, but I can assure you it's a duiker (what's the English for it?) – a huge chunk missing from the hind quarter (to the left of the branch). The front paw is just visible to the right.

What a neat sighting. (Deep, satisfied sigh...)
:dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)
"N1" towards Skukuza

And here's a Male Leopard I saw a few weeks ago , watched him for about 2 hours(I refuse to leave a leopard sighting, until the leopard leaves me) :D ...

The Spottie fell asleep, and the Leopard silently descended and vanished....Not even waking the Hyena dreaming beneath the tree :)

ImageLarge

Justin

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:10 pm 

This is my only leopard sighting. We were 15 min. in the park when we spotted him. It was taken in 2006. The photo isn't good because we had a bad camera :( but it was a great sighting!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have had quite a few sightings of leopards through the years - and each one remains very special. I agree Justin - I also dont leave a leopard sighting until there is nothing left to be seen anymore.
Were able to take this close up photo in July08, which I also use for my avatar.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:43 pm 

what a fab cat i had 3 differant sites when i was in Krugar 17th September 2008 had a fab time.
it was the first time i had been to Africa

i see you have all got some great photos

I love Africa

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great photo's :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next