Skip to Content

Leopard

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:05 pm

a stuning cat you can tell it apart from a cheatha because a leopard has rousettes and a cheatha has spots any way a stuning cat!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Tilandi
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tilandi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:46 pm

This is a little late. But with the cams not working I had time to browse the other threads.

Jan 21 6:04pm my last day in KNP, cruising down the tar road towards Croc Bidge gate my daughter looked back up the road and saw this leopard. We spent about 15 min with it and then had to leave, rules are rules we had to get to the gate in time. What an experience :dance:
ImageImage

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 am

Wow, stunning pics of a lovely relaxed male Leopard Tilandi, what a great sighting to end your trip with. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Richprins

Leopard

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Great pics, Tilandi!

(Wonder what it was doing licking the road! :shock: )

Didn't know their scrotums were also dappled! :?

Tilandi
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tilandi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Elsa, Richprins :D
There was a big herd of buffalo on the road earlier the day. Couldn't place all the pics but it was actually rolling in the stuff. He walked from side to side marking the bushes.
:D

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Sun May 25, 2008 4:01 pm

A cheetah is no match for a leopard, even two will be very careful. Lots of incidents are known where leopards have killed cheetah. Leopard also regularly chase cheetah from their kill.

In a situation where there is no reason for conflict (such as prey) and there is no surprise, it would be wise not to get in to conflict, since even just an injury, could result in the eventual death of either.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

MikeGoss

Unread postby MikeGoss » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:11 am

Below is the "url" to our video of a leopard feeding on a warthog in a tree

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=myPN7aRpg3I

The leopard was seen on the road to the waterhole about 8km's or so from Orpen, last November (2007) We got to it about 9am and stayed just about 3 hours.

Hopefully, we are now full members of the LIT club :D

Enjoy

Mike Goss

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 am

Hi MikeGoss, first of all it was great meeting you and family :D and also nice to eventually see the "famous" video of the leopard with its kill. :mrgreen: ..I enjoyed watching it :D

Here is a pic of our leopard...a very young male marking his territory and not nearly as exciting as your video..taken close to Muzandzeni picnic spot in April...

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi there,

Here are some pics from our latest trip to Kruger over the June long weekend (13-16 June). The rest of the pics are on our trip report - Kruger - Leopard Dawn

The above privncess we saw about 3km down the Phabeni Rd from the Skukuza side at about 07h30
This big guy was also seen on the Phabeni Rd approx 10km along from the Skukuza side at about midday!! :shock:

Nannie

Unread postby Nannie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am

Our nephew in LA Email this with only a caption of ; "how to keep warm and comfy in a tree".

Jan Havenga

leopards - where are you?

Unread postby Jan Havenga » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:06 pm

know the feeling. with many visits to the park and very few sightings one wonders sometimes as all you hear about are people at camp talking about their leopard sightings. "but we drove past there"?! anyway , all i can say is sometimes the wait is worth it as the longer you wait the bigger the blessing will be. we were in the park in June and had 2 sightings of absolute pure bliss , with not a vehicle to spoil it. 5min with a female on our first drive , near olifants , on day 1 and nearly an hour with a nice male near ls on last day. UNBELEIVABLE! :D :) :)
ImageLarge
ImageLarge
ImageLarge
on the one pic you can see how he is "drooling"
Last edited by Elsa on Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics resized.
Jan Havenga

Richprins

LIT with clothes

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:31 pm

Nannie wrote:Our nephew in LA Emailed this with only a caption of ; "how to keep warm and comfy in a tree".

Hello and welcome, Nannie!

I wouldn't worry too much, the jacket doesn't have blood and isn't too torn - , I reckon the leopard just found it or snatched it and took it up instinctively! :twisted:

Could even be a hoax... :roll:

(In fact it is a hoax...!)
Last edited by Richprins on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Leopard

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 pm

I have had quite a few sightings of leopards through the years - and each one remains very special. I agree Justin - I also dont leave a leopard sighting until there is nothing left to be seen anymore.
Were able to take this close up photo in July08, which I also use for my avatar.
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

shangri-la

Unread postby shangri-la » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:43 pm

what a fab cat i had 3 differant sites when i was in Krugar 17th September 2008 had a fab time.
it was the first time i had been to Africa

i see you have all got some great photos

I love Africa
I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 pm

As Shangri-la has requested in the croc/hippo thread, here is the second once in a life time experience I had. Unfortunately no pics - you'll hear why soon.

We stayed in Berg en Dal.
It was the very first time my husband was in the park.
Through out our trip we saw awesome stuff.
Not that much round B&D though.
One late afternoon, we were driving on the gravel road leading from Malelane to Croc Bridge.
We saw cars gathering to a left turn, by the row of trees.
We joined them and there we saw this leopard that has just taken her Impala- supper up the tree.
WE watched her for a while but then she went to ground and although we searched for her for long after the others have left, we could not find her.
So we headed back to the Malelane-croc bridge gravel road and I asked my hubby to just turn left one more time, so that I could try and see from that side upwards in the other side of the lane of trees.
So the road makes this little down hill thingy and form nearly like a low water bridge.
We stood in this low level bridge area which had just little bit of water.
I lifted myself up as high as possible to try and see over the reeds and biesies if I could maybe spot her in the shade of the trees.
So my focus is far in, like 200m.
When suddenly my eye caught this movement 3 m from me,
And there she was, so close that I looked so deep into her eyes.
She was covered in blood from the kill and was down on all fours, like in a stalking position, but she wasn't stalking, she was drinking water from this little bits of water.
I was so close to her.
And as I slowly reached back my hand to SO to hand me the camera, he looked around me and saw him sitting like that.
SO though the leopard was on the point of jumping me( :redface: my head was out the window little bit) and he immediately just put his foot on the petrol and skied off.
Needless to say the leopard got such a fright for this spinning car that he ran back into the reeds.

I cried all the way back to camp , for two reasons: one the missed photo opportunity and mostly because of the beauty of that cat.
For days on end I remembered the look in her eyes, the blood around her mouth and that exhilarating moment when I were so close to her.
I never felt in danger, but knows that she is wild.

Needless to say, since that day I don't put my head out anymore, hardly my hand.

And that, is a moment I will never forget in my life!!! :)
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

Return to “Mammals”