View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Nico,
Nice to see you again. :D
Great sighting/video of these leopards. You were indeed very lucky seeing this. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Leopards
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have only recently joined the Forum and hope you don't mind me sharing my leopard sightings with all of you, even though some of the sightings are quite awhile ago.

During my 3 weeks trip to the Kruger in 1999, I had 6 leopard sightings. I entered the Park through Punda Maria gate and was on my way down to Shingwedzi. About half way between Punda Maria and Shingwedzi, a big male leopard sat in the middle of the road, then moved off to the edge of the road and eventually after about 10 minutes wondered off into the bushes - what a start to a holiday.

Saw one crossing the road just outside Letaba camp and one on a nightdrive.

From Lower Sabie saw one during midday crossing the road and 2 on one night drive. One was between Lower Sabie and Crocodile bridge and the other one was between Lower Sabie and Skukuza. These were the 6 sightings.

In June 2002, saw one in the riverbed towards Lower Sabie about a kilometer after you have turned onto the tarred road from the S21. While watching the leopard 4 lionesses approaced my vehicle from the front about 300m away. Well needless to say, the leopard must have smelled the lions and the leopard took off into the bushes.

In 2005, had two major leopard sightings. The first one was on the main road to Berg en Dal. Came across an impala in a big Marula tree. After waiting 5 hours, she came to fetch the impala from the tree for her cub to feed on. During the 5 hours waiting, the cub was playing in the bushes and shrubs and with mom's tail and regular sightings of the two were seen. The following morning on our way for a Morning walk, we saw her and her cub again.

The second one was during a morning walk from Crocodile bridge. After about an hour and a half's walk we decided to take a rest at a not too rocky area. The one guide went to answer mother nature's call and the other guide stayed with us. Before I had even put my backpack down, someone mentioned something of a civet. Well I knew that I had to see this and went on over. There was a deepish rectangular shape whole and at the bottom 3 leopard cubs. Still very small. The guide reckoned that their eyes have only been open for a day or two. Beautiful blue eyes!!!! Obviously when the other guide arrived back, he immediately took us away from the sighting for safety reasons. This was by far the best leopard sighting in my life!!

Unfortunately I have only video footage but have just bought myself a nice camera. So I can't wait to get to the Kruger - the Game Park of all Parks.

Enjoy

Mfezi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:29 am 

We had a brilliant experience with leopard in Sept 2007 when I tracked one calling along the Tsende River out on the Shongololo Road where it finally came into the road too far ahead as it got silent as it approached the road and i lost the "Track" for awhile but here are 2 pics of a Spotted cat. The big trick is when you are the first at a Leopard in the road like this. Rule No 1 Dont drive up to it as all you will get is a fast disappearing white tipped tail if you are lucky. Rather stop at 50- 80 metres and turn slightly left if tou are driving so you are able to poke the long lens out the window on a bean bag and most importantly turn that engine Off and be dead still ...no talking in the car. Cats are curious and if you are lucky and noone has arrived after 20 minutes like this occassion at 05h00 in Dec then invariably the cat will get up and come to you as the top pic shows. Stay calm and let the drama unfold

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Re: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:26 am 

Mfezi wrote:
Yes Peter, what you mentioned when seeing a leopard and you are all by yourself is 100% correct. But I am afraid that currently I am definitely lacking that discipline to do just that.

Hopefully it will get better in the near future

Mfezi

It is hard I agree but the rewards are great...sometimes my theory doesnt work for sure :wink:

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
This video shows you that there was some tension in a group of Impala's and after some time we discovered that there was a Leopard close by and she had two cubs with her.

Last edited by Nico on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

rayb wrote:
I apologise if this has been posted before but it is pretty amazing.

Amazing video :thumbs_up:

Here some of my last leopard pictures from Kruger park:
Image Image

Post subject: Berg en Dal sighting
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm 

The following pics where taken Nov 2007 about 1km from Berg n Dal down the dirt road. We spotted the leopard the previous evening 10mins before gate closure. I managed to get one shot in the dark but had to go back to camp. The gates where already closed but the understanding guard let us in with no fuss. Seeing that she had a kill in the tree we returned the following morning. The tree was empty so we drove up and down the road trying to spot her. Finally we saw her lying deep in the bush. We decided to wait and after an hour she returned to feast on her kill, she seemed really relaxed with us being there, guess our patience paid off.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:30 pm 

Yip yip, now I can also join the clan of spotting ze leopard.
Saw this good looking character on the S25 & +/- 10m away...

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

a stuning cat you can tell it apart from a cheatha because a leopard has rousettes and a cheatha has spots any way a stuning cat!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is a little late. But with the cams not working I had time to browse the other threads.

Jan 21 6:04pm my last day in KNP, cruising down the tar road towards Croc Bidge gate my daughter looked back up the road and saw this leopard. We spent about 15 min with it and then had to leave, rules are rules we had to get to the gate in time. What an experience :dance:
ImageImage

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 am 

Wow, stunning pics of a lovely relaxed male Leopard Tilandi, what a great sighting to end your trip with. :D

Post subject: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:56 pm 
Great pics, Tilandi!

(Wonder what it was doing licking the road! :shock: )

Didn't know their scrotums were also dappled! :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elsa, Richprins :D
There was a big herd of buffalo on the road earlier the day. Couldn't place all the pics but it was actually rolling in the stuff. He walked from side to side marking the bushes.
:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

A cheetah is no match for a leopard, even two will be very careful. Lots of incidents are known where leopards have killed cheetah. Leopard also regularly chase cheetah from their kill.

In a situation where there is no reason for conflict (such as prey) and there is no surprise, it would be wise not to get in to conflict, since even just an injury, could result in the eventual death of either.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:11 am 

Below is the "url" to our video of a leopard feeding on a warthog in a tree

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=myPN7aRpg3I

The leopard was seen on the road to the waterhole about 8km's or so from Orpen, last November (2007) We got to it about 9am and stayed just about 3 hours.

Hopefully, we are now full members of the LIT club :D

Enjoy

Mike Goss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next