Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo the only way to distinguish between the two epaulletted fruit bats is to count the ridges on their palates. Now methinks this would be somewhat difficult in Kruger so they will probably just have to be identified as fruit bats without particular reference to either one.

Yours in Parking
Penny

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

if you ever do handle bats you are supposed to wear gloves that will lesson the force of impact from the bats jaws! only people that have permits are supposed to hold wild bats. not to say that bats bite hard some bats such as the banana bat dont even try to bite you as there jaws are to small. please i am asking you guys not to handle bats and leave it to the experts i am saying this for your safty!!!! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

regards to jumbos pics above they are awsome!!!! :dance: and that particular bat is a walhbergs eppulated fruit bat

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
It would be difficult to differentiate between the Wahlberg's and the Peter's based on a picture alone.

Unless you took a picture of the bats under the lapa at the Skukuza restaurant as they are Wahlberg's Epauletted Fruit Bats.

http://www.5050.co.za/inserts.asp?ID=8035

For interest sake: To differentiate Wahlberg’s from Peter’s one will have to count the ridges across the palate behind the last molar teeth. Wahlberg's has only one, Peter’s, two.

Post subject: Re: Bats, fruit
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm 

After the 17th attempt got a whole one in the frame, at home.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Fantastic, Nannie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have always been attracted by bats but very little chance of seeing them here in a big city.
Beautiful picture and very good job in managing to capture it in flight! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Phenomenal photo!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Bats, Epauletted Fruit
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:31 pm 

ethaya wrote:
Hi,

I don't know whether this is possible because I don't have a photo of the darn thing. There's an owl (I assume an owl) in the trees of my garden, we're in Durban nearish to the river.

Every night from sunset to midnight (almost exactly) it sits there, screeching. The best way I can describe the sound is like... a child on a rusty swing (a rythmic very high pitched squeak squeak). At first I thought it was a frog but last time I checked, frogs don't fly.

I've tried listening to the calls of various owls found in SA but I can't find one that sounds similar.

I post this a while ago, this stupid bird is still going, every single night from dusk till pretty much dawn now. I suspect it might be a nightjar maybe? I don't know.

I just want to know whether there is some way to get rid of it other than killing it.

Edit: For further identification purposes, it's slightly bigger than a pigeon, i've only ever seen it in trees, it's eyes reflect torchlight, it squeaks at a frequency of about once a second and it continues squeaking while it flies. I've also noticed it tends to drop out of a tree when flying away, so definitely a glider.

Last edited by ethaya on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there ethaya, don't know if you missed the responses so I quoted them for you! Also had a listen and tend to agree!

francoisd wrote:
Barn owl perhaps? Seems you will have to do some night time exploring to find the culprit :D

Niall wrote:
Having heard young Barn Owls screeching yesterday evening, I reckon Francois is probably right - the noise they make could be described as a rusty swing.

O how I would love to have an Owl calling outside my window all night, why do you want to get rid of it? :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome here,

On this forum we do not advocate killing things :twisted: To be able to kill it you must first find it :twisted:

On a serious note I think the critter that sounds like a wheelbarrow needing a shot of oil is not a bird but a mammal, one that flies out and has its fill of wild fig and red milkwood fruit. Once his belly is nice and full he would groom himself and then start serenading in the hope that an equally attractive female would respond. Yes you might have guessed it your squeaky neighbour sounds like a fruit bat.

If you take a torch and shine it in to the tree you might be lucky to see the noisy critter, look out for red eye reflecting. My guess is that it is more than just one that is keeping you awake.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:56 pm 

Regarding the previous replies, I listened to some clips on the internet of a barn owl (and other owls) and it doesn't sound like it, all the owl noises I heard were much more pleasant.

This is like a super super high pitched squeak of duration slightly less than a second, at a frequency of once a second, all night.

A fruitbat? I'll go see if I can find some clips and listen to them. Thanks!

Normally I wouldn't dream of even contemplating killing it, but it's been three months and it's possibly the most annoying sound in the world. I lie in bed every night alternating between imagining all the horrible things I'd do to it if I got my hands on it and praying it'd just keep quiet. It's reached a point where I'm considering moving out. So yeah, sorry about that :(

Edit: Actually no, I've seen it's silhouette flying overhead, it wasn't a bat silhouette and his eyes glowed more yellow. But I'll go listen to clips, thanks.

Edit Edit: Well I found a clip at last, and that's the closest thing I've heard to it so far, so it seems you're right. How long do their breeding seasons last?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Never even considered Fruit Bats! :doh:
Also a contender.

Could you possibly hazard a guess to the size of the critter maybe?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:39 am 

pantera leo wrote:
Never even considered Fruit Bats! :doh:
Also a contender.

Could you possibly hazard a guess to the size of the critter maybe?

It's slightly bigger than a pigeon I'd say, it does drop from the tree rather than fly up from the branch, not sure if that's a bat-only thing to do.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ethaya wrote:
Normally I wouldn't dream of even contemplating killing it, but it's been three months and it's possibly the most annoying sound in the world. I lie in bed every night alternating between imagining all the horrible things I'd do to it if I got my hands on it and praying it'd just keep quiet. It's reached a point where I'm considering moving out. So yeah, sorry about that :(

Edit Edit: Well I found a clip at last, and that's the closest thing I've heard to it so far, so it seems you're right. How long do their breeding seasons last?

ethaya

I was merely pulling your leg with the killing part :twisted: the little devil smiling would have shown you :twisted:

The fruit bats are well known on the kzn coast and I have done the search for these noisy critters myself. My folks live in port edward and I have watched these guys on numerous occasions with the bonus of returning home to peace and quiet when their persistent calling becomes too much. The reason I would go for fruit bat is that a bird would call and after a while it would move on whereas these guys would call and when the one gets tired of making a noise his cousin would take over. They seem to pick one location for their serenade usually close to their feeding area. Owls do not occur in such high density to cause the irritation by keeping up the calling to that extent. The epauletted fruit bat is about the size you describe and does drop from its perch rather than take off.

How to get rid of it? million dollar question, I have no idea :redface:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next