Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:30 pm 

Yesterday the movie "Hyena Queen" was broadcasted on the Dutch National Geographic Channel.

Quote: "Acclaimed wildlife filmmaker, Kim Wolhuter, spent months on the Mala Mala game reserve in South Africa, winning the trust of a hyena clan and gaining an in-depth understanding of their behaviour."

A nice movie although unfortunately some parts were presented in the "MTV way", jumping from image to image. Wolhuter was walking with the hyena's while they were hunting, sitting on the ground next to a kill and filming the clan while they were feeding, petting one the young hyena's (named .... Scratchy) at the den while Mom was there and even lying on his back between the clan. Although I am not so sure he is giving the right message here, it was amazing to see.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:21 pm 

What are the male and female terms for hyena's??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:13 pm 

I think we should then set this right by giving them names..maybe she-males for the females(since they have mock male-genitals) :P :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:04 am 

Female Spotted Hyena are GENERALLY much larger than the male in a sample of adult Hyena. Looking at the photo briefly I would say the big fat one in front is female and the smaller one is either a sub adult or adult male

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We always seem to find them in the road early in the morning. We were watching these guys on the H1-7 from Shingwedzi to Punda Maria. This little one came right to my window.

One of them made a strange sound and then 2 females went to lay down so that the little ones can drink.
The alpha female (I suppose) started moving around as if she was in a hurry and the little ones went into the bushes next to the road. I then saw a blue wildebeest sticking his head through the bushes further up the road. He looked left then right and saw the hyenas. As he saw them he turned around and I only saw his bud disappear very, very fast. 2 Hyenas then started running his way and also disappeared in the bushes.
I had a lekker laugh at that wildebeest, it was so funny, looking left then right and gone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think they move around allot. We have travelled on the H-3 many times and didnt see anything and then on one day in Sept we saw hyena 3 times on the H-3. The first one was laying to far away from the road to take a picture. About a km on we found this mom,
and not even a km on this 'well fed', or maybe a mommy to be.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:03 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

This must probably be the biggest "teaze" animal for my and Hyaena :lol:

We only seem to see them on a nightdrive or as we have to in at the gates .. There is no time to stay with them ...

On our last trip on the H6 .. we stopped to view young giraffe and lo and behold right next to the road in a ditch a little head pops up.

A young one curious about the "Hyaena" sitting in the car .. my SO almost freaked when she saw it (she kinda likes them ... so do I .. They have the cutest faces and expressions when they are young) :lol:

But yet again .. a minute or two and back into it's den .. Waited for another 5 or so minutes but he clearly was not interested in further communications with us. :lol:

However .. I have seen them quite nicely .. On the Duke mission we came upon a few of them incl. young pups and they were very curious about the vehicle.

One forgot to go with the pack when they started to leave and almost had a fit when he noticed he was alone. Fortunately either the mom or one of his aunts came to fetch him/her (you can never really tell hey :lol: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I saw a program about them just the other night. The pack was also leaving and one got lost, with a lion on its track. :shock:

He then put his head right down to the ground and made very funny noises so that the others could find him. Luckily one did come back for him. The way animals communicate really amazes me. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:31 pm 

Saw this family on the H1-6 just north of the red-rocks (S52) turn-off.

Elad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On the first morning of my trail we found a young hyaena all alone next to the boarder fence. Our guide said it was very strange and he was most probably trying to get into Mosambique.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:36 pm 

Saw a small family group on the Tar road some 14k's south of Shingwedzi, we were on way out of the park for some medical treatment. (Was about the best day for sighting we had and I could not see too well due to getting an eye infection whilst in the Park)
What I thought, from a distance, was a pile of Elli dung, turned out to be the top piccie, and a few meters along the road, we saw a few others off to the left and down a bank. There were 5 in the group in total
I was glad there was something between me and the Hyena in the top piccie for sure :D

MIke

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 pm 

Hello from France :D
I'm a new member and I'm really fond of reading all the different experience of people travelling all over Kruger.
I went 3 times this year to South Africa (I'm not rich but I work for an airline .....and that's helps !!! :) )and specially to Kruger just to observe wild animals in nature and to take pics of them ...........
The most beautiful meeting for me so far was 2 young hyenas at sunset ,on our way back to the Olifant rest camp . They are so cute !!! they came so close to the car that we could have touched them !!! it was so tempting ,they seemed to be lost and alone , and so young !!!!!.............But we 're serious , of course!!! :wink:
We took many pics and would like to stay more with them just to observe, but it was getting late and ,unfortunately we left a little bit frustrated :( ........................We arrived very late at the camp , but Happy :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:40 am 

Thanks for your welcome .
I'm looking forward to go back to Kruger !!! It was so gorgeous :D ...........And hyenas are so cute !!!

Post subject: Hyena
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm 

Hyena close to Mopani Camp

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Carole, they're so cute!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next