Skip to Content

Hyaena, Spotted

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

wildheart
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildheart » Sat May 05, 2007 11:28 am

We always seem to find them in the road early in the morning. We were watching these guys on the H1-7 from Shingwedzi to Punda Maria. This little one came right to my window.

One of them made a strange sound and then 2 females went to lay down so that the little ones can drink.
The alpha female (I suppose) started moving around as if she was in a hurry and the little ones went into the bushes next to the road. I then saw a blue wildebeest sticking his head through the bushes further up the road. He looked left then right and saw the hyenas. As he saw them he turned around and I only saw his bud disappear very, very fast. 2 Hyenas then started running his way and also disappeared in the bushes.
I had a lekker laugh at that wildebeest, it was so funny, looking left then right and gone.

wildheart
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildheart » Sun May 06, 2007 8:16 am

I think they move around allot. We have travelled on the H-3 many times and didnt see anything and then on one day in Sept we saw hyena 3 times on the H-3. The first one was laying to far away from the road to take a picture. About a km on we found this mom,
and not even a km on this 'well fed', or maybe a mommy to be.

wildheart
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildheart » Thu May 17, 2007 10:43 am

I saw a program about them just the other night. The pack was also leaving and one got lost, with a lion on its track. :shock:

He then put his head right down to the ground and made very funny noises so that the others could find him. Luckily one did come back for him. The way animals communicate really amazes me. :lol:

eladn

Unread postby eladn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Saw this family on the H1-6 just north of the red-rocks (S52) turn-off.

Elad.

MikeGoss

Unread postby MikeGoss » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Saw a small family group on the Tar road some 14k's south of Shingwedzi, we were on way out of the park for some medical treatment. (Was about the best day for sighting we had and I could not see too well due to getting an eye infection whilst in the Park)
What I thought, from a distance, was a pile of Elli dung, turned out to be the top piccie, and a few meters along the road, we saw a few others off to the left and down a bank. There were 5 in the group in total
I was glad there was something between me and the Hyena in the top piccie for sure :D

MIke

vahine

Unread postby vahine » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Hello from France :D
I'm a new member and I'm really fond of reading all the different experience of people travelling all over Kruger.
I went 3 times this year to South Africa (I'm not rich but I work for an airline .....and that's helps !!! :) )and specially to Kruger just to observe wild animals in nature and to take pics of them ...........
The most beautiful meeting for me so far was 2 young hyenas at sunset ,on our way back to the Olifant rest camp . They are so cute !!! they came so close to the car that we could have touched them !!! it was so tempting ,they seemed to be lost and alone , and so young !!!!!.............But we 're serious , of course!!! :wink:
We took many pics and would like to stay more with them just to observe, but it was getting late and ,unfortunately we left a little bit frustrated :( ........................We arrived very late at the camp , but Happy :D

vahine

Unread postby vahine » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks for your welcome .
I'm looking forward to go back to Kruger !!! It was so gorgeous :D ...........And hyenas are so cute !!!

Carole

Hyena

Unread postby Carole » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm

Hyena close to Mopani Camp

Peter Betts

Unread postby Peter Betts » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Tambotie Camp has a large Hyena Clan nearby and they are very vocal at times. This large female appeared to be the leader..what a fine speciman she is. The picture shows the typical sloping stature of the hyena profile caused by having normal hindquarters and oversized very strong front quarters combined with a huge neck and very powerful jaws all to help with its predatory and scavenging habits
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Richprins

Hyena

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Wilmaw, that is a really exceptional pic!

Probably been photographed before, but I've never seen or heard of it!

Nice one as well, Peter!

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)

Unread postby Nico » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:33 pm

This little film shows you several moments that we had with this beautiful creature all over in KNP. You see how three Warthogs chase away a Hyena out of the waterhole.

Last edited by Nico on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:21 pm

That's incredible, Nico.
Thank you.
Just shows that Warthogs are well respected at times. I certainly would not like to be at the wrong end of those tusks :shock:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Jazil
Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere

Unread postby Jazil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Near Afsaal in January last year, this one was having a real feast.
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)

Unread postby Nico » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:25 am

In this little video you see the little Balule Hyaena cub playing with his mother, that I have filmed near the den. S90 near Balule. :wink:

Last edited by Elsa on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit video link

Niceone

Unread postby Niceone » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:35 pm

For sure. There is nothing more soothing and comforting than hyenas calling at night . When I lie alone in my tent and hear all the screams and laughs, I feel so relaxed and fall asleep in minutes.

Return to “Mammals”