SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

davegrohl wrote:
I heard from a ranger at Ngala (timbavati) that a lone brown hyeana was spotted on a night drive in 2001. the sighting was recorded 10kms east of Ngala, and about 10kms north,

If you go 10 km north of Ngala, you end up just southeast of Kings Camp. Go 10 km due east from there, and you will find yourself on either Mananga or Abercrombie (probably the latter). As far as I am aware, commercial game viewing activities are not conducted on either of these farms, and the location is just over 14 km northeast of Ngala. I very much doubt that any CCAfrica ranger would have been driving around there, and certainly not at night. More likely to be hearsay.

davegrohl wrote:
which would make it 25-30kms west of the old border between KNP and Timbavati.

It is actually just under two kilometers west of the KNP/Timbavati cutline (all this can easily be measured on Google Earth), and about 22½ km north by northeast of Orpen.

None of this rules out that a brown hyaena was actually seen there seven years ago, but neither does it support the contention that there is a den northwest of Orpen, or that brown hyaena are likely to be seen in that area.

Johan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:48 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I mailed with the experts, and brown hyeana have been seen in the KNP but these sightings are extremely rare. In September 2002 Rob Thompson saw one in the Pafuri section and in the early eighties Johan Oelofse saw one in the Woodlands section and Arrie Schreiber in the Vlakteplaas section. The Cyber tracker reports from 2004 till now have been checked and there have been no more recent sightings recorded.

So if you see one I think SANParks will definitely want to know when and where you spotted one.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Is a brown - hyena and an aardwolf the same thing? :redface: :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

No. They are both in the family Hyeanidae, but Brown Hyaenas are scavemgers and aarwolves aet termites. Aarwolves are lighter brown with black stripes. Brown hyaenas are a dark brown with no bold stripes.

Maybe the experts can explain it better... :wink:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, it can get quite confusing, but WAC is correct.

A Brown Hyena is also much bigger. They are also sometimes called a Strandwolf (Strand = beach) which helps a lot to confuse things further! :wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have just returned from a short trip to Kruger which also included a two night stay in Thornybush. Now I am fully aware that this falls outside of the area we are allowed to report on but given the fact that it has been mentioned already on this thread together with the rarity of the brown hyaena I felt that it deserved to be posted. It has been my driving ambition to see the brown hyaena that has been spotted and photographed at Thornybush in the last 6 months and to this end our last two trips we have made mention to our ranger and tracker but sadly could not find the hyaena. This trip we were at a lion sighting that were feeding on a Wildebeest kill when suddenly one of the females stopped eating and appeared concerned at a scent she had picked up. The next thing we became aware that she was in full pursuit of a brown hyaena. We could clearly see her attempt twice to catch it with her right paw and it let out the most horrific yelp. She did not succeed and we believe the brown hyaena got away by the skin of its teeth. According to all the books I have read the status of the brown hyaena in Kruger (and the Greater area) is classified as "unknown" so we were incredibly excited at this chain of events that led to us having a glimpse of this shy and elusive nocturnal creature. We were greatly relieved that the lion was not successful in catching it as this would have been incredibly sad that such a rare animal would have been killed right in front of us. Luckily this was not the case and the hyaena will live to scavenge another day.

This sighting certainly raises my hopes that in fact the brown hyaena is present in the Greater Kruger Park and hopefully there will be better sightings of it!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You were blessed with a fantastic sight Penny. I truly believe that the brownies do occur in the Central to Northern Kruger.

I have no proof yet, but your experience supports my believe even more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:17 pm 

:clap: Wonderful sighting Penny!

You were really lucky ... but not as lucky as that Brown Hyena! :D

And that is exactly why Brown hyena will probably remain very scarce inside Kruger. As previous posters noted, there are populations outside KNP in areas where they do not need to compete against Lion and Spotted Hyena. It could well be that this was a nomad out of this population that entered Thorny Bush, as they would enter KNP also from time to time.

There is just the odd chance that, as a result of the new water distribution policy of KNP, areas with low Spotted Hyena and Lion density could be created inside KNP, which would give animals such as the Brown Hyena the opportunity to re-establish their population. I sincerely hope this is the case. :pray:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes Imberbe I agree to a certain extent - however the lion population on Thornybush is very healthy. Their hyaena population on the other hand is minimal but notwithstanding these two facts brown hyaena are solitary animals as opposed to clans as in the case of the spotties so will always (except when mating) be encountered alone! The interesting fact here is that the rangers have only encountered brown hyaena very recently and many of them have been on the reserve a very long time. Thornybush is one of the older private game reserves and I am sure that if brown hyaena had been spotted this would have been well documented. Perhaps there is a small nucleus of hyaena that have very slowly started to build up their numbers with successful breeding and we are now starting to see the results. Many years ago one really struggled to see rhino and look how easy they are to find nowadays! It is over twenty years since I last saw a brown hyaena in Kruger but just maybe the tide has started to turn again! Lets hope so!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:25 am 

Hi Penny

I was not revering to Thornybush or any of the reserves which form part of the APNR. Since the fences have been dropped it actually forms a big ecosystem of which KNP is part, and there is little difference in animal populations.

I am rather revering to areas outside of regulated nature conservation and also smaller nature conservation areas which do not have big predators.

Also ... Brown Hyena is not as solitary as most people may think. They do live in clans with a fixed hierarchy. These clans are usually much smaller than that of Spotted Hyena. They also do not really hunt, so you wont often see them banding together to bring down prey or confront lions.

Some Brown Hyena do live solitary lives. They are nomads and forms approx. 8 - 10% of the population. These are the breeding males. Males do not breed within the clan they were born in. These are probably the Brown Hyena which is sometimes seen in areas such as KNP.

Further I agree with you ...
:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

i saw i brown hyena on a night drive at satara in 2005 but i didint tell the ranger as by the time i had realised that it was a brown hyena we were to far down the road. wwhen it was running it had shaggy hair.

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Re: Brown Hyena
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

View My Video

Video of two brown hyena fighting......

Warning, do not watch if your a sensitive viewer.....

Post subject: Re: Brown Hyena
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Where did you see this?

Nossob....

Post subject: Re: Hyaena, Brown
Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If anyone would like to see proof of the presence of brown hyaena in the Greater Kruger National Park - check out the two links below. I am fully aware that this is not strictly KNP but due to the rarity of the sighting and the huge interest I feel that it is important for folks to see this. The first link shows the lead up to the sighting whilst tracking leopard and the second link clearly shows the Brown Hyaena so all those who doubted can now see for themselves that the brown hyaena is indeed well and living in the area. I saw one on Thornybush last year and although I did not capture a pic this is now proof to all who might have doubted their presence.

First Link:
http://www.wildearth.tv/web/djuma1?stre ... lv&start=5

Second Link:
http://www.wildearth.tv/web/djuma1?stre ... lv&start=3

Post subject: Re: Hyaena, Brown
Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: What a great sighting :clap: :clap:
Thanks Penny for the link :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next