Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:29 pm 

Yesterday we arrived back home after a 4 night trip to Mabuasehube (KTP). On two occasions we had brown hyaena in our camp (at night). The full moon gave enough light to watch them moving around. It seems that as with spotted hyaenas they are never far away from campsites at night, searching for leftovers.

I've also seen them a few times in Pilanesberg (near Sun City) as well - all of these sightings were during the day. It seems that they are quite common here (Pilanesberg has no spotted hyaenas to compete with at kills).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:40 am 

I just saw picturs from a friend of mine. They are of a brown hyena i think it is right by sunset dam, he says he has seen them there before quite a few times does anyone know about this. Will try and get pics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There have been two reliable sightings at the Chugamila Hills near Tshange and at Shantangalani near Klopperfontein. This according to my field guide on Mammals of the Kruger National Park.

We personally saw one over 20 years ago at Kumana dam and 4 adults can vouch for the sighting.

There is no question of its rarity and that status quo has not changed from what I can gather since documented in 1942. However it does occur in Zimbabwe and it is questionable as to whether populations albeit small numbers have moved down into the Kruger National Park.

According to the Field Guide I have it states that "when still regularly reported in the Park it was said to ocur in the Southern and central districts, but was more common North of the Letaba River along the Western Boundary". "Where reported most commonly in the Kruger National Park in the past, it occupied open savanna and mopane woodlands in the drier regions of the Park, viz those with less than 500 millimetres of annual rainfall."

This would surely make an incredibly interesting basis for a thesis for anyone doing their Masters!!!!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Brown hyena
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:52 pm 
One was caught in a snare in the Mariepskop area near the resort (Swadini) about 20 years ago, as reported in CUSTOS.

This is about 70 km from the Park.

I think they are rare visitors to Kruger, but slightly more common in Lowveld areas with less predators.

As I said in the "Advice" thread, I doubt if any current rangers have seen one, never mind recent tourists.

I agree it would make a fascinating topic of study.

One or two mentions were made of them in the monthly rangers' reports in the old days - these reports would be a gold mine of information for any student. (I wonder if one could ever get access to them online?)

Last edited by Richprins on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Trevor Carnaby, in "Beat about the Bush" claims that the Brown Hyena was at one time a known resident in the kruger. It has been a long time since an official sighting. This is possibly due to the large number of Spotted Hyena and Lion that see it as prey.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:10 am 

Penny wrote:
I suppose at the end of the day they fall into the same category as Bat Eared Fox, Aardwolf and even to a lesser extent things like aardvark and pangolin - we know that they are there but they are very seldom seen by anyone never mind rangers!

I have custos magazine dating back to the 80's and they make fascinating reading. I do wish they would bring back some kind of magazine like this again!

Macho Mouse is also correct where there are a lot of Spotties like Kruger the Brownies stay away or are persecuted out. and areas where there are few spotties like Kalagadi the Brownies flourish.

[Off topic edit by DB]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I am not at all convinced there are any brownies in Kruger. Young spotties are brown and that is often where confusion occurs.

Marie se draai in Kgalagadi and Nossob hide at night have given us our best sightings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB there is certainly absolute proof that they do occur naturally in KNP - it is just that they are such a rarity. In a similar vein Bat eared Fox also occurs in KNP but I bet my bottom dollar it is very rarely seen.

Strange though that I expected to see far more of them in our 15 days in KTP and only ended up seeing the one from the Nossob hide and even then not everybody in our party got to see it!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Brown hyeana
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Weve seen a fleeing one near the letaba rest camp. Well at least we thought we say one couldn't positively id it. It was fleeing after all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Had a great sighting of a brown hyena on a night drive from Nossob (KTP). Apparently it's a fairly common sighting on Nossob night drives, and is also seen from the Nossob hide. Roll on the KTP webcam! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:55 pm 

Saw a brown hyena early morning (7:50 or so) about 10KM north of Twee Rivieren on the Nossob road (KTP).

Elad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
From a book "Predators of Southern Africa", by Hans Grobler, Anthony Hall Martin and Clive Walker. Printed in 1984 by Macmillan.

It was well known in the Kruger Park earlier this centuary, but there have been few recent records.

It does not rule them out, but it gives little encouragement.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 pm 

eladn wrote:
Saw a brown hyena early morning (7:50 or so) about 10KM north of Twee Rivieren on the Nossob road (KTP).

Elad.

Now the picture - sorry for the small picture and the back view, this is my SO's Canon A710 work, once I get my 300mm SLR films developed, I promise to add the more decent pictures (e.g. the ones from which you can actually tell it is a brown hyena...)

Elad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Tee-hee-hee.

How lucky can you get...

Seen Saturday, THIS weekend :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Wild about cats wrote:
Where did you see it?

Unmentionable reserve in the North West Province. The luck was also present in that the hyena paused shock-still just long enough for me to make a photographic record. The light source was a dreary dawn and I had to crank the ISO-setting up to 1600. Still the shutterspeed was a dismal 1/20th of a sec. Soon after the animal disappeared over a ridge, probably for its day-time sleep-in. Pleased as punch with this sighting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next