SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kruger Wild Dog Database
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all

Having been away from the forums for a while, I decided to do something productive and, hopefully, fun. I'm attempting to create a database of as many individual wild dogs as possible from the KNP.

It's a big task (I'm not sure if it's been attempted before, apologies if I'm treading on any toes), so I'd like to ask for any help you could offer - namely photos, particularly of flanks and markings. I'm aware of cheetah and leopard databases using similar techniques.

I know we have one individual (Kamea) known to us, hopefully we can build up a database of more. Ultimately, I hope to ascertain pack sizes and ranges, fluctuations in population etc.

I'm going through public sightings and travel tales, but if anyone has any more photos, especially with a location (grid ref would be amazing!) that would be such a help.

Tom

Post subject: Re: Kruger Wild Dog Database
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Result! Already managed to identify the same individual at sightings almost exactly a year apart. Gunner first saw the individual near the S25-2139 junction in the week prior to December 17th 2009, and G@mespotter saw the same individual on the S25 on December 27th 2010.

I'm naming the individuals by markings for now - this is the Black Bouquet Individual.

Thus far I've identified up to 65 individuals - goes to show what an excellent resource these forums are.

Tom