SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: elle charged us
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:52 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

davep001 wrote:
luckily the KNP ranger knew how to take control, but us in the truck were rather nervous that the elle was going to charge us.... what do you think the chances are?

What if the elle charged us, what would happen.. how would anyone else besides us know where we are?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Hi davep001,

2 things to look out for when you approach elephants ... look for bull in musth and for babies ... guaranteed in any of these two occasions, if you come to close, you will have to deal with the RVFBAP Syndrome (Reverse Very Fast Back and Pray) ...

A few things I have picked up whilst in the Park and from Rangers in the Park is that you need to be alerts..

There were a few elephants in the Park who had a game they used to play .. called "Have fun with the Tourists" they would purposefully stand in the middle of the road and not allow any tourist through ... at stages even "pushing" them back ...

Then there were also the notorious elephants like Mafunyane ... who after his encounter with poachers just had no time for humans ... we have been "pushed along" once along the Sabie River after both the elephants and myself suprised each other when they came from a thick bush ..

Main thing to do was to remain calm ... the matriarc just trumpted, shaked the ears and watched me ... (note I have now already put my vehicle in Reverse gear .... the next moment a baby cam running out, and I knew it was now or never ... I slowly started to reverse and the matriarc made sure I continue in that direction ... until she felt her herd was safe ...

When you are not sure if an elephant will charge is to look out for a few warning signs

1. An elephant who trumpets and shakes his head and flapping his ears is letting you know, you are to close now ... if you continue you risk the chance of being charge
2. When the ears and put against the head and the trunk is "rolled up" between the tusks underneath the mouth then make like haste, because that is the charge pose ...

This is not hard and fast rules ... but being alert will always help in dangerous situations.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

As requested:
Still sizing us up, but look at the trunk...

Around the moment that I asked Madach to start the engine, and to put it in gear I think. I switched to my other camera, with the shorter lens.

And here comes the cavalry! Not sharp, not even level, but keep in mind that the car was accelerating fast at this moment. I wonder why?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
BTW duques, that looks exactly like the time Tshokwane charging the photographer:

Charge

Like he said, he should have stood his ground and shouted at Tshokwane. I think he was lucky that Tshokwane's tusks were that long. He could not get to him properly to kneel on him and cruch him with his head.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

well, that man has really been lucky.

What do you guys/girls think about Mad Mike & Mark?

here my close encounter.
this ellie came to close to feel comfortable.
no, I didnt zoomed in. I could toutch this guy if I had dare to do it :lol:
No this was not a ellie in the zoo, it was a wild ellie!
He gave me a good fright. I noticed he was in musth after he came so close and acting so 'strange' (agressive, than calm again and all of a sudden came wide eared to the car. as you can see on the pics.)

Post subject: What to do around Elephants
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:42 am 

Here's the thing.I'm driving along very slowly and the next moment an elephant ( very big and very close ) appear out of nowhere. Gently browsing and at peace but almost blocking the way. Do I a) Turn off the engin and enjoy the moment even if he/she wants to walk past the car or b) Keep the engin running in case I have to get away? I' m inclined to want to go for the first option.This is my first posting on the forum and I hope I'm doing it correctly.I am sooo happy to know there are lots of Kruger addicts. Only 65 sleepies! Floris.
Ps. Thanks for all the responses. What about rhinos in similar situations?

Last edited by Floris on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Floris, I'm happy to 'meet' yet another Kruger addict. :D

I personally would never turn off the engine if I have an ellie in such close proximity. I think it's looking for trouble. We always keep the engine running just in case we have to make a quick getaway. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

If you want to take photo's you will have to turn of the engine. The vibrations will give you an unsharp photo.

Most ellies are friendly, so if stay out of of their comfortzone you should be ok. Just keep an eye to your escaperoute(s), another one may pop up behind you.

Believe it or not, but those 6500 kg, 4 meters tall grey animals can hide behind two little trees.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:42 am 

Hi and welcome Floris

When a Ellie walks by very peacefull I never have the engine running. Except when its a bull in musk. Tell tale signs are the wet eyes and face. But i always make sure that i have space to escape it needed. I try to allow 10 meters as minimal distance :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
Hi and welcome Floris

When a Ellie walks by very peacefull I never have the engine running. Except when its a bull in musk. Tell tale signs are the wet eyes and face. But i always make sure that i have space to escape it needed. I try to allow 10 meters as minimal distance :D

Please don't think of 10 metres as being minimum distance!
No offence Bert, but you really do need to be further away than that.
Stop 50 metres or more and pay attention to the signs. ]
First most important to me is, are they continuing to eat. This is USUALLY a sign that they are not stressed.
Then turn off engine and perhaps let them come closer to you. All the time keep looking for signs.
Most times, if they do not want you there they will-
Stop eating
A QUICK SIDEWAYS HEAD SLAP. THIS MEANS GET BACK!
At this point, don't wait for further signs, rather back off.
Use a longer lens.
Be especially careful of breeding herds with small babies and never get in amongst the herd.
Can you see the whole herd?
Often there are others hidden that may come out ahead of you trappind your easy exit.
Try to have the car facing away from the herd, not easy reversing under attack..
Males in Musk as Bert says, should be treated with utmost respect. This is one of the few occassions that I will rather turn around and retrace my path, than push my luck.Look out for moisture running down their cheeks below the eyes.

All in all, these animals are potentially very dangerous and you should always keep well away if you are not sure about the situation.

Post subject: Re: What to do around Elephants
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Floris wrote:
Here's the thing.I'm driving along very slowly and the next moment an elephant ( very big and very close ) appear out of nowhere.

Perhaps you could tell us exactly how close the ellie was? It goes without saying that the further the ellie, the safer you are. But, if in close proximity, I would not take a chance. Unpredictable behaviour, especially in males, is not uncommon. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Take care around elephants - but don't become paranoid. I know several people (including my wife - terrified by a mock charge years ago!) who thing 1000 meters is the 'comfort zone' for an elephant! This can ruin a trip. Sensible behaviour from the start will hopefully prevent paranoia developing.

The herds are the least worrying as along as you don't get between mother and baby. On one occasion, with no where to go, I had to stop on the side of the Letaba - Olifants dirt road whilst a large herd walked peaceably by.

But I have also driven backwards for many kms over the years, whilst a huge bull plays with you. You just back up till they get bored and walk off.

Rangers have a different approach, but not one I would recommend for the occasional visitor!

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:37 am 

peterpiper wrote:
Please don't think of 10 metres as being minimum distance!
No offence Bert, but you really do need to be further away than that.

Sorry peterpiper.
I was thinking of the ellies i pass when they move among the scrubb and trees next to the road. When approaching a ellie/herd i dont drive up till 10 meters :wink: 30-50 and this only when i have a exit route

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
I never turn off the car near an elephant. I have been charged too many times. There's one that lives around the Songololo loop up at Mopani who chases us everytime we visit there - I kid you not. My mom says that he can 'smell my fear from miles away". I think she's speaking rubbish - anyway still don't know how he always finds me but he is a real swine. I generally find the ellies in the south are more placid than those up north. In particular I find the one's around Mopani to be the worst - has anyone else similar experiences of this?

Is it "in musth" (an Indian word) or "in musk"?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Always show that you are "backing off" , dont ever act in a fashion that may be interpereted as agression , you will come off second best .

I will only turn off my engine after spending at least a few minutes , and making sure the animal/s have become used to my vehicles presence , and are going about there business as usual .
Always make sure you are good to go , and your key is ready in the start position , with imobilizers and handbrakes off , keep your foot on the brake rather .
Dont get to involved in photographing a peacefull individual , and not paying attention to other members of the heard that may have become agressive towards you , all it takes is a little 1 to wander to close to you to make older members get upset .

Dont smoke when watching elephants , I have noticed people who like to light up at a sighting , and this upsets the animals , this goes for any of the cats also .

Musth elephants (as described above , as well as a stronger than normal smell) are not there for viewing pleasure , pass it quickly if possible , or go another way if it has decided to "own" the road , dont hang about , go find another ellie to watch.

I was in a siuation once , where we got trapped with 1 elephant walking up the road , and another 1 that we had not seen that came out behind us , both where at a safe distance initially, but approached us from either side , doing head flicking and trunk waving etc etc , we pulled of the road , and switched off . The Elephant from the back passed behind us and rushed on to spar with the other 1, I presume our actions indicated that we backed down from any challenge , and saved us from becoming a sparring partner .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:01 pm 

bucky wrote:
I will only turn off my engine after spending at least a few minutes , and making sure the animal/s have become used to my vehicles presence , and are going about there business as usual .
Always make sure you are good to go , and your key is ready in the start position , with imobilizers and handbrakes off , keep your foot on the brake rather .

I use the same procedures

Quote:
Dont smoke when watching elephants , I have noticed people who like to light up at a sighting , and this upsets the animals , this goes for any of the cats also .

I think you mean that the sign of fire and the smell of smoke might annoy them. :? Have seen quite a few animals with a smoke and never had any problems.

Last edited by bert on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next