Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Honey Badger seen near Berg n Dal
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Seen at about 15h00 in the afternoon of the 11th October'06. Unfortunately didnt stick around for long.

Last edited by moggiedog on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Honey Badgers
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I hope Laeveldleeu saw the Tamboti Honey Badger. At the moment there is definitely one in Orpen Rest Camp. We stayed there for one night (22 October) and it stole all our leftover boerewors.
We were all still busy packing away after the braai - early evening - but the moment no one was outside the badger took his chance. We heard something fall and was just in time to see it going off with it's prize.
We then put everything inside the bungalows, but it came back again. When I opened the door of my Mom's bungalow. it was on our bungalow's table with a look on it's face that said: " Where is everything - one piece of boerewors was definitely not enough!"
Later that night it was back again twice, but unfortunately never allowed us a photograph.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
The honey badger's ability to hunt and kill snakes are rated as one of the top 5 amazing animal feats in the world of nature.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is actually really incredible...cute but vicious :lol:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sherbert- i have to search for this! I last saw this bin-raider in 2001- do you think he could be the same one, or another who has learnt the tricks of the trade...

Aha- found it! here

Matt 050606 wrote:
I have to say that my favourite animal seen inside one of the camps is the honey badger i saw at Tamboti camp.
I was warned the previous year about this infamous bin raider but did not see him then.

We had arrived at camp and started the fire for dinner and were relaxing (beer in hand) around the fire, when our next door neighbor, shaking an anti-badger broom, sent a mini-train of destruction charging towards us, sounding like a grumpy car on a cold day. He marched straight to our bin, rugby tackled it and dived straight in, grabbed a prize and came and sat with us next to the fire. Turning the meat had become a bit of a mission- for those with nerves of steel- as any movement got him rumbling and bearing his teeth.

The following evening we attempted to badger proof our bin and secured it to a tree. He got so irritated with our bin that he was almost screaming at it- they make quite a scary sound when angry- while hurling his body at it. He gave up eventually and moved on, grumbling all the way.

He must have won eventually- as our bin was on its side again the next morning.

My work here is done! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On the 26 of June, at KTP we saw a pair of honey badgers. We we had left Mata Mata and were on our way to Twee Rivieren. This is taken out of my trip report:
Quote:
While driving, a jackal had run across the road right in front of us. The jackal was then followed by a honey badger, then another :shock: ? The badgers had walked next to the car then into the bush next to the road, digging under the bushes at the roots. Pale Chanting Goshawks had watched them along with a jackal. As the badgers moved along the road so did the jackal, goshawks and us. We had reversed with them for a long time. The female badger suddenly stopped then collapsed next to the road. She gave a huge yawn and then cuddled up. The male had come behind her. He was nibbling the fur on her back. She then stood up. What happened next just blew us all away. For, what we think, they started mating. He then walked around, gave us a satisfied smile and soon lay next to her. She placed her head on his neck and they both showed affection towards each other... It was really something…

Of course something always goes wrong when this kind of thing happens… My memory went full, so I was sitting in the back seat deleting some pictures and videos, missing some of the action. My dad had filmed the part before and after the mating so of course he missed the mating to :x . Only my mom got one pic:
Image Mom’s photo
Image My photo
This was taken after they had mated:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=4q5l17o
Note: the satisfied smile :lol:
My dad told us we had to leave and then pointed out that the whole world was behind us, well quite, after we argued with him to stay. There were cars behind us as far as the eye could see so we decided it was best to leave. We were with them for about 20-30min until we had to leave. All that time they were next to us, in the open and put on quite a show.

Post subject: Re: Honey Badgers at Orpen Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

seapit1 wrote:
Hi
Does anyone have any stories to report about the pesky Honeybadgers? They really were a nuisance and stole all our food!!!!

SEapit1

Hi Seapit1...I remember 3 years ago we were staying at Orpen and had been warned of a HB raiding the camp at night....We duly turned our fridge so the door could face the wall...We woke up to a big "kamoushin" outside...my SO opened the door and there he was...You know the saying in Afrikaans..."so sterk soos n ratel"...(not quite sure how to translate this), but the HB turned the fridge away from the wall and was inside the fridge throwing bread, butter and what else out...He eventually settled on the margarine, opened it and was licking it from his paws...My SO tried to shooo him away, but he stood up and started hissing.....we just closed the door and listened to him eating and then scurried away....leaving us with quite a mess on the porch...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:37 pm 

A surprise meeting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:03 pm 

Wow, what an unusual pic, don't often see those 2 together, where was this seen Nannie?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:56 pm 

On the S41 about 3km from the S90 towards the S100.We first saw 12 or so vultures on the ground - kill ! somewhere,saw a movement and it was the 2 HB scratching here and there,another movement,2 cheetah.They were lying down with full stomachs.The one lifted it's head and watched the HB work their way closer.There was a strong cross wind so the HB only became aware of the cheetahs at the time the photo was taken,you can see the puffed tail.The other badger is a bit to the left.The HB made a hasty retreat.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Also my first Honey badger... with jackal near Twee Rivieren, in April 2007 :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Peter Betts wrote:
About 20 years ago we watched the HB plus a Jackal plus a Wild cat plus a pale Chanting goshawk working together hunting!!! amazing nature isn't it!

What a sighting! That is amazing, any pics for us?

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:09 am 

Honey Badgers are wonderful tenacious aggressive-if-forced creatures. No wonder even the cheetah uses this to protect its young in that they have a thick whitish fur which mimics a HB which they lose as they grow up!
We were lucky to glimpse 1 on S90
Also we have seen the resident HB in Satara camp- he often drops the bins!
Hope to see 1 again- going again 28 May-3 June.

Post subject: Re: Honey Badger
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:08 pm 

saw one between satara and timbavati picnic site... (KNP in 2005)

was running around all the time, constantly digging and sniffing with it`s head down
that`s why this is the best pic I could get :hmz:

but hey, it was my first honey badger! :dance:

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Post subject: Re: Honey Badger
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 am 

Great sighting Safrica...they are extremely hard to see outside nightime camp sightings...thanks for sharing

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next