Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

As Madach thought to have seen an Oribi, lets have some info on them:

Oribi (Ourebia ourebi)

Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Bovidae
Genus: Ourebia

The name Oribi possibly comes from the southern African Hottentot word for "antelope."

Habitat
Lowland areas and savanna, never far from water.

Description
The slender shape of this small antelope is accentuated by its long neck and tall, oval-shaped ears. Beneath each ear there is a blackish patch of hairless skin. The silky coat of the oribi is yellow to reddish-brown on the back but is white on the belly. Each knee has a long tuft of hair, and the tail is short and black. The eyes have a white line of fur above them, often used to help distinguish them from other ungulate species. Beneath the ears are dark, hairless patches, and on the sides of the face are vertical creases that house the preorbital glands. These glands produce a odorous secretion that is used to mark the oribi's territory.
The tail is short and bushy, with a conspicuous black tip. Only the males grow horns.
There are several geographical races, which differ in the size and shape of the horns. They grow to around 92-110 cm in length, with a shoulder height of 50-66 cm and weigh an average of 12-22 kg. They can run at speeds of up to 40-50 km/h (25 - 31mph). In captivity they have a lifespan of up to 14 years.

Behavior
The oribi is active both day and night, but it remains concealed in vegetation during the hottest hours of the day. It lives singly, in pairs, or in small groups of up to six individuals of both sexes. It moves swiftly with leaps and quick sprints. Oribi are highly water-dependent and tend to avoid steep slopes. When in flight it makes a specific movement called "stotting," which consists of jumping into the air with all four legs held stiff.

Reproduction
During the breeding season, August to December, the male will mate with all the females who share his territory. Usually only one or two females are present in each territory. Following a gestation period of 6 to 7 months, a single offspring is born. For the first 8 to 10 weeks the female oribi hides her young in thick grass, where it will lie motionless if approached. The mother returns periodically to suckle her offspring. Young are weaned at about four to five months. Females reach sexual maturity at 10 months, males at 14 months.

Diet
Primarily grazers, oribi prefer to eat short grasses but will browse on leaves, foliages and young shoots during the dry season. They are often seen in burnt areas after veld fires, returning to the area to eat the fresh grass shoots. To supplement its diet, mineral licks are also used.

Predation
Oribi fall prey to numerous animals including lions, leopards, caracals, hyenas, hunting dogs, jackals, crocodiles and pythons. Young are also taken by eagles, genets and other small carnivores.

Conservation status
The IUCN has listed the species as "Lower Risk, but Conservation Dependent." This means that if current conservation efforts were ended, the species would be in greater danger of extinction.

Census
There has been a census in september 2005, no results yet, but this is the previous result:
Quote:
The last survey was carried out in 2003, where the following information was obtained on the Oribi populations:
220 returns were received from 341 survey forms sent out;
1 873 Oribi were counted on privately-owned land;
600 Oribi were counted in 16 Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife protected areas;
Only 20 farms had more than 20 Oribi each;
102 farms had 5 or less Oribi; and
Oribi had gone extinct on 10 of these farms.

No mention made of SANParks managed parks...
The Endangered Wildlife Trusts (EWT) Oribi Working Group census

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: oribi
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

The only Sanparks managed reserve with stable populations of oribi and in reasonable numbers is the Golden Gate Highlands Park. In Kruger they were reiintroduced into P/kop grasslands in '60's (I think) along with other species, and since then, they have not fared well. This has been the case in many reintroduced populations onto the highveld and Kruger is just one such case. It may be that Kruger was always ever marginal habitat. West of Kruger they are commoner on the highlands above escarpment - Waterval boven, Dullstroom, Lydenburg. As one is aware this is different habitat - temperate, montane grassland.

If one has/sees one in Kruger - one is surely lucky. I dont know much on the status of that animal in Kruger at present other than that I've mentioned.

Regards

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've never seen an oribi before, but the status is said to be falling like you said, at about 200-500. They are only found south, near Pkop, towards Berg en Dal, also stretching toward Skukuza. Has anyone seen one in Kruger?

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

WAC,

Sorry, but Oribi are only found in the high montane area in Pretoriuskop, no sightings of Oribi have been recorded for the past 5 years, so your chances of seeing them are as good as winning the lottery.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:29 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

245 Landowners throughout South Africa participated in an Oribi survey during September 2005, with a total of 2,517 Oribi being counted, with the majority of these (2,149 Oribi) occurring within KwaZulu-Natal. Significantly smaller populations were counted in Gauteng, Mpumalanga and the Eastern Cape. Only 20 properties had populations of Oribi greater than 20 animals, with only 3 populations being larger than 100 animals. 97 landowners reported populations on their properties with less than 5 animals, representing 41% of the returns during the survey. Compared to previous surveys, the good news is that this proportion is declining. The 2001 Oribi survey indicated that 110 properties (out of a total of 245, 45%) had 5 or less animals, while in 2003 this number was 102 properties (out of 220 returns, 46%), and in 2004 it was 98 properties (out of 209 returns, 47%).

Source (The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums, WAZA)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Oribi
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was wondering...

In what parks can you see this adorable little buck, and if so, which section would be the best to spot this beautiful bokkie...

And any pictures you want to add would be great...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey timbo,
You can see it in Kruger, but only way down south in between Skukuza and Berg-en-Dal. They really are adorable aren't they? I am yet to see one.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Golden Gate - their management plan used to have a section devoted to saving ideal habitat fot them

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Only place I've seen them is Midmar Dam.

Johan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:13 am 

We have them here in Golden Gate, over the past 10 months or so I have seen about six of them, adorable little critters!! I have seen them on both game loops here in the park especially after the burn season, they seem to enjoy the fresh burn areas and the new shoots of grass. Very skittish though, I have managed to get some nice pics but am having trouble posting them :redface: Hopefully I can get some up soon...

Cheers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:37 am 

Has ANYONE seen Oribi in KNP?

If you have please post a pic :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:14 pm 

i drove into the southern section of the addo elephant park on sunday 30/12/2007. i found a privATE BUSH LODGE that had a big sign up stating the farm was an oribi sanctuary.

i was surprised but didn't go into the farm and never asked anybody afterwards.

I say 'no bail to poachers', name and shame them, even at a sniff of suspicion. Lets get rid of them quickly

Post subject: Adorable
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:11 pm 
Wild about cats wrote:
You can see it in Kruger, but only way down south in between Skukuza and Berg-en-Dal.

I'm pretty sure they have been extinct in Kruger for decades now, as their brief "reintroduction" to the area mentioned was a failure, and that habitat was not suitable in the first place.

Sorry! :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:23 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Photos by GVIGoldenGate:

{Resized by BGS}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 am 

Greats pics! :)