Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: male lion coalition near satara
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 pm 

Hi Cheetah2111
Somewhere on the forum about 2 years ago someone wrote about the male lions attacking a female in the N’wanetsi area. We saw the 6 males in October 2008 on the S41 at the Gudzani waterhole.
I don’t know if it’s the same ones but if you read the ~Most Magnificent Male Lions~ you will see that they are often seen in the t N’wanetsi area.
Regards
Found the link:www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=21&t=34638&start=0

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
wow issi that is extrememly interesting :shock:
That was two years ago. so the chances are extremely high they the same lions causing havoc in the area!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 am 

FAC Member (2013)
this is a matter of great interest :shock: on the 30th of June 2009 Mlambane wrote the following:

"As usual the Satara area provides great lion entertainment... I returned from Satara on sunday and had the most exhilarating experience I have ever had in the Kruger...

On the morning of Saturday the 27th of June I set out at 6:00am onto the H6 and then onto the s41 where I came across a lone male lion lying in the middle of the road. I then noticed a female lying 50m further up the road and immediately assumed that they were a mating pair. After a few minutes the male got up and approached the female and then proceded to attacked her... This lasted a few minutes with each lion beating the c**p out of eachother... All of a sudden the commotion stopped and the male stared into the bush before bolting across the road in the opposite direction. This prompted me to look in the direction he did and about 100m away 7 young male lions loped in our direction. At this stage the female lay motionless. The 7 young males saw her and then surrounded her and proceeded to stalk her for 20minutes before they too began a full on attack on the helpless lioness. Eventually the female managed to escape and for some reason the first male started to roar from the other side of the road. This was a very brave move in my opinion because the already irrate 7 young males headed immediately in his direction and after a while a huge battle ensued with loud roaring and growling. The 7 then returned with deep wounds and I can only assume that the lone male didn't have a very happy ending...
"

I'm 99% sure these are the same males causing problems around satara :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Interesting Cheetah2111 :thumbs_up:

My mom saw these 6 male lions eating 2 or 3 buffaloes on the H6 during mid November 2009...there were also about 10 hyenas and jackals trying to steal some meat from them. I was on the road in Dec 2009 and saw a male and female mating (close to Nwanetsi) then further on another male. Some else said the 4 males had just crossed the road nearby so can only assume these 2 males were part of the coalition of 6.

8)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:42 am 

Hi Cheetah2111,

I must agree that the males you saw here are the same that I saw in June 2009...

Having watched your videos, the function of the 6 adult lions' behaviour is more typical than what I experienced in 2009. The victim (young male) is too young to hold his own territory, particularly in the Satara area where competition for land and resources is very high due inparticular to its high density of lions. The victim is, however, reaching the age where hostility from the pride males should be expected.

I believe that the victim is the son of the coalition of six and their dominant behaviour, as evident in the video, is to push him out their territory. What is clear, is that the males did not want to attack and kill the victim, which 6 males could easily achieve, but rather to put foward the message that it is time for him to move on...

Exhilirating sighting i'm sure :D

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:53 am 

FAC Member (2013)
MLAMBANE wrote:
I must agree that the males you saw here are the same that I saw in June 2009...

Having watched your videos, the function of the 6 adult lions' behaviour is more typical than what I experienced in 2009. The victim (young male) is too young to hold his own territory, particularly in the Satara area where competition for land and resources is very high due inparticular to its high density of lions. The victim is, however, reaching the age where hostility from the pride males should be expected.

I believe that the victim is the son of the coalition of six and their dominant behaviour, as evident in the video, is to push him out their territory. What is clear, is that the males did not want to attack and kill the victim, which 6 males could easily achieve, but rather to put foward the message that it is time for him to move on...

Exhilirating sighting i'm sure

I completely agree :D It makes perfect sense that the victem is offspring of one of the six. And indeed they didn't intend to hurt him. Interestingly though, not on video ... the single male lion victem was staring aggressively at the big males in the road before the fight. we saw the younger one before the big lions did. When they saw the young one they started moving off. The young lion got less agressive in body language as more from the coalition appeared. He possibly couldn't see them all initially because they were lying flat and some in the grass.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm 

Do you not think that the way you saw the young male behaving could have been more in defense than actual agression? He possibly stood staring at the males, uncertain of how they will respond to his presence... Something like a troubled teen scenario, unsure of what his next move should be, remembering ofcourse that he would have taken ques from these older lions in the past...

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:38 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
MLAMBANE wrote:
Do you not think that the way you saw the young male behaving could have been more in defense than actual agression

quite possibly :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 pm 

Does one of them have only one eye? a year ago they discussed a picture close to lower sabie. 6 Males in one pic. They are random seen between Lower Sabie and Satara. As far as I know they have a couple of bring downs, meaning they expand there Territorry.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Malealea I have also read about the coalition near lower sabie ...
although I reckon this is a different coalition of six :hmz:
there was a post some time ago on the s90 or Balule thread where someone mentioned they saw 6 males near the Bangu waterhole on the s90. Now that is very likely to be these 6 I imagine! I did have a good look at 5 of the 6 and didn't see a blind one :hmz:

I am currently of the opinion that there are two coalitions of six male lions. the lower sabie/croc bridge ones, and the tsokwane/satara/balule lot.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:09 pm 

Hi cheetah2111,

I think Mlambane is spot on with his account of events. If those 6 big boys wanted to kill the younger guy then they would have. What I am really interested in is whether or not you saw any females in the area or if anyone else did?

Males' main driving force is to acquire as many female groups as possible. Therefore, if there are 6 adult males around there, then there must be a helluva lot of females around too.

Great photos too by the way, will keep an eye out when I go in early August-wish me luck!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6