Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alarm Calls/Prey Behaviour
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 am 

I have done many safaris in a different continent where we use Alarm Calls of animals to track certain predators and was wondering if anyone knows of any that Southern African animals who exhibit the same behaviour - eg when we hear a Langur Alarm Call we know that there is definitely a big cat in the vicinity and if you follow there gaze that is where it will be as they always stare directly at the predator, you can also generally tell which big cat it is due to pitch of the call - Same goes with specific bird calls that I have logged.

So are there any tell tale signs & Sounds of prey animals or birds in South Africa - I have experienced one when I saw my first leopard in Kruger many years ago when we stopped because a herd of Kudu where staring intently into one area and seemed agitated then all of a sudden a leopard walked calmly onto the road and gave one look at us then vanished - still one of my most memorable wildlife sightings! but dont recall there being any noise just silence?

Looking forward to hearing of peoples experiences :thumbs_up:

Planned Trip Nov 2010

Post subject: Re: Alarm Calls/Prey Behaviour
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 pm 
Hello, and welcome, El-Bok!

I think animal behaviour is very similar between India and Africa regarding the lessly wooded areas...but for that matter there should be abundant literature regarding the same sort of prey-predator relationships worldwide. :wink:

As far as personal experience goes, yes! Birds and monkeys play a role, but they are regularly stirred into activity by any smaller predator and raptor.

Baboons are by far the most significant "indicator" species!

The ungulates are often ignorant of nearby predators, unless wind/sight comes into play, and then they stare and bark, often leading to a temporary end to the stalk.

On the other hand, they sometimes don't care, depending upon numbers and relative size, or apparently whether predators have just fed or are just coming for a drink.

A difficult conundrum!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:20 pm 

Really Richprins do you know which antelope bark in SA i have never heard of it and wondered whether this was due to the difference in density of habitat eg SA is mostly open and flat bushveld compared to the dense jungles associated with India and south east asia?

Planned Trip Nov 2010

Unread postPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:20 pm 
Maybe "loud snort" is a better term.

Impala, Kudu, bushbuck, don't know about the rest, but literature should suffice!

Common Reedbuck whistle loudly when alarmed.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:34 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
In KTP we have heard Blue Wildebeest making the same snorting/barking sound standing on the dune while the lions were at the waterhole down below. They did not move off just stood there barking and looking in the lions direction.

In KNP seen Impala doing much the same, staring in one direction and snorting all the time before moving on.