Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ANGRY ELEPHANT BULL - ADDO
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:13 pm 

This big guy looks a lot like grumpy 'Paul' Kruger (with his stumps & collar) who recently won the fight which resulted in the death of the Park’s biggest tusker, Skukuza.

Paul Kruger

I'm sure Megan and the rangers will verify?

I suffer severe 'cabin fever' if I don't visit Addo every second week...

Post subject: Re: Skukuza at Addo
Unread postPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow. That's really sad news. I was lucky enough to see him in September, and I was blown away by how huge he was.

Post subject: Re: Skukuza at Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here's a photo I took of some people who were a little too close...

Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 pm 

Saw this one about a yr ago, just before teh Gorah loop, he had been mudbathing, he ambled past, less than a meter fro the car(I couldnt reverse, as there were campervans behind me lined up!! - I drive a chevvy spark!). As he went past, mud fell from his head and ears onto teh car. Needless to say, I almost got rid of some mud myself in teh car...

Ive been charged 4 times in the last 3 years at Addo, though by trumpeting juvenile bulls, 1.5m at the shoulder. And had a few experiences of bulls just popping out the bush and walking down the road towards teh car.
I guess a real charge - ears flapping, and trunk tucked in - has yet to happen, and I deliberatly keep a respectufl distance....just in case.

A close encounter doesnt necessarily mean aggro behaviour. Ive been parked in at Hapoor in summer, and had a stream of ellies all sizes (Matriachal herds) walk past both sides of the car, and peer at me as they go past with calves. Its unnerving...

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 am 
Guru
Guru

Hello everybody :D

Yes, this is definitely Paul, one of the Kruger bulls. He used to have longer tusks (when he was introduced from Kruger NP in 2002) but they have broken off over the years. Paul is in musth at the moment which explains his aggressive behaviour. He has charged a few of the Park's game drive vehicles as well.

As NickyG says, a close encounter with an Addo elephant doesn't mean that they are being aggressive as the Addo elephants are used to cars and tend to ignore them most of the time. However, always look out for signs of musth in the bull elephants: streaming discharge from the temporal gland between the eye and the ear, dribbling urine with a strong smell and aggressive behaviour such as head shaking, thrashing bushes, throwing dust around (not on themselves). Bull elephants can be in musth for a few days to a few months (depending on how dominant and they are and their age) and its best to give them more space and respect than those not in musth.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am 

Hi
In which album is the photo posted? :?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

Megan, Welcome back! - and thank you for verifying that it was Paul the day before he killed Skukuza.
NickyG, I agree - we have had many close encounters like you describe and do not find them particularly unnerving :) - it was the closeness to the 'disgruntled' ellie that unnerved me, - in the photo at the top of this page we were already reversing. We had not been in his way as he had been crossing the road in front of us when he decided to turn towards us ...

We saw him again this weekend, still alone, some distance from the road ...

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:16 pm 

LOL...ja, they see to find me..! I mentioned i drive a chevvy, which is normally as dusty as the raods there, maybe I look like a dung beetle ??? :redface:

I always maintain, that people should always do what has been written in the brochure, and you cant go wrong.

Im new to this site/foru, and just want to say I think its really amazing to meet up with other regulars as well...I visit at least twice a month, in m yopinion, Addo park is our Eden, and I take my hat off to teh staff - They are the Eden's keepers.

Only irk I have (in spite of teh recent bad press regarding the facilities in the Herald), is actually teh odd bit of litter thats lying around in the park (wild area) itself, obviously strewn about by those who do not have a conscience.
I must admit, on a hot summer day, my car looks like a pigsty inside, with teh empty cooldrink bottles etc...but its 5min to get home, and bag it up.

Later peeps,

Nicky G.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:49 pm 

LOL! Yup - always nice to meet other folks on the forums! I try to go for the weekend twice a month too. I love Addo!
Can't say I have noticed litter in the park area but perhaps I am too busy straining my eyes looking for animals - lol...
My only niggle is the bin in the 'ladies' at the picnic site ... it is always full to overflowing when I am there, and often there is no more paper in the machine to dry ones hands .... but that is a very minor niggle. The toilets are always clean .... Last weekend when we were there the cleaner had just finished cleaning and mopping the floor, but the bin still didn't get emptied or the paper replaced ....maybe someone different does that :?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:37 am 

Im in no position to coment, other than saying im releived at teh new place (picnic) area, as I dont have to have any more heart attacks when using teh Spekboom toilets.....last time I was there, I closed the door, and 2 HUUUUUUge rain spiders were resting there. A few screams later, and my mate came to the rescue... :clap:

I really have no complaints other than that, maybe Im one of teh few who have been lucky never to have caught the park on an "off day"

My theory is that a lot of complaints are made by those who don't quite understand what a National Park is all about. They probably expect the Hilton Hotel, or New York Plaza....one glance at the guestbook in reception will make you chuckle. I think they expect a zoo, where captive animals are housed in barbaric concrete surroundings.. :( :( :(

I wasnt implying teh place is a litter dump lol...merely saying that I can only complain (its more of an irratation) over teh littler, I mean its dissappointing to drive around, and see a beer bottle, or a tissue hanging from a bush.
:sniper:

I once wrote a note on Facebook as well...publicly saying that if i ever came across anybody poaching, my excuse to teh police would " sorry officer, but my brakes failed" :whistle: - just like poachers, I have no conscience.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 pm 

I grew up in the Kafue National Park in Zambia, which at that stage, was literally virgin bush. I've had many harrowing escapades with animals, including a lion attacking my dad in the camp right in front of us. I fully agree about the musth issue - we, as the intruders in the parks, need to be more aware of how our hosts are feeling before we invade their space. Paul made life very interesting that day - my biggest fear was that barkingmad was going to reverse into my bakkie(hubby wasn't with me that day), because I had parked sideways behind them to catch the shot! However Paul has displayed more issues with cars than the other elephants in my visits. Something we all need to bear in mind when travelling in the park. I've also been surrounded by elephants with calves but have never felt threatened. Such awesome creatures! You rock Addo - don't every change!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:59 pm 

LOL, Barkingmad's hubby would not have reversed into your bakkie. We saw him again last weekend, but at a distance. This weekend although many ellies around, we did not see Paul.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm 

NickyG, haha, yup I remember the spiders in the toilets there, but I saw them as a photo opportunity and took some pics. I have been amazed at the amount of webs on the bushes at Addo, yet I never seem to spot the spiders :)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm 

NickyG - we did a little joking test of the gate staff at Addo today. Signing in with our vehicle, under 'reason for visit', instead of putting 'visit', we put POACHING in big letters. He smilingly opened the boom and said 'enjoy your visit'. To the Addo staff THIS WAS A JOKE!!! I laughingly said to my husband that suddenly helicopters, cops and rangers with guns were going to descend on us. Scarier than Paul!!!

The thought stayed with me for our entire visit at Addo today. Hardly any ellies, no Paul, TONS of kudu making whoopie, a few ellies making whoopie and two dagga boys cooling off. Nice day, though. Got a lovely shot of a kudu bull jumping over a bush when they got a bit spooked.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:07 pm 

LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Classic!!

I was there too today, got in around 8-ish due to teh traffic roadworks :( Missed y golden hour....
Never dissappointed though, saw at least 12 jackal on teh Gorah loop's new road, and I think the zebras must have drawn teh short straws, they were out in full force from Carols rest to teh Southern Gate, have a nice small foal pic, must still download it.

saw 4 Buffalo, loads of kudu, eerj\kat, yellow ongoose, tortoise, hartebeeste, a goshawk, glossy starlings, and elephants....nice all round trip. Unfortunately no lions, and no hyeanas :( always a next time.
Im still LOL@ visitor's for..... :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next