Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lion
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I came across this mating pair of Lions on the S37 during January this year. She was the most aggressive Lioness I have ever seen. Even though he looked twice her size he was dominated by her. If you look on the third photo you will see a serious scratch which I am sure she inflicted!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:36 pm 
Musketeers know what they want, and Angels too....story of our lives! :? :lol:

Nice, adw! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:56 pm 

africawildlife.nl wrote:
Yes! Kruger is The NP to be when it's up to lions! We followed these lions on the H4-1 from Lower Sabie to Skukuza. And out of nothing at all, we saw this kill! It was so unexpected and beautiful. Hope you like it!

Err... I am quite new here and haven't visited SA/Kruger, but what are private cars doing in the park? I thought only Safari vehicles were allowed in national parks, just like in Kenya/Tanzania. Can someone explain? Because that just looks wrong with lots of modern private cars among the lions...

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:27 pm 

Waruvile wrote:
Err... I am quite new here and haven't visited SA/Kruger, but what are private cars doing in the park? I thought only Safari vehicles were allowed in national parks, just like in Kenya/Tanzania. Can someone explain? Because that just looks wrong with lots of modern private cars among the lions...

Nope, most people come to Kruger with their own (rental) car. But people have to be inside the gate from the restcamps after sunset en before sunrise. But you can arange a drive with a ranger. When you do that, the whole park is private place, because you wouldn't find private cars.

And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 pm 
Weird, this!

SWNMNBM and I were on the S-25 Croc River Road on Friday at around noon, and once again a big male next to the road. This was less than 10 km from my sighting on the previous page, nearer the Mlambane River, so I asked the other car that was there if there was a black-maned one too! The answer was yes, and I assumed it was the same bunch, although there was a third male present as well.

The above male seemed as weather-beaten as the previous sighting's pic, but when the black-maned one came out, it was in very good condition!

So it seems there are two little coalitions of mature males in that area! :shock:

Post subject: Re: Unusual lion behaviour
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi everyone :D

This thread which started in 2009 is still relevant to today! The large group of nomadic males now numbers 6 and they still cause havoc in the nwanetsi area!
I saw them attack a male this year at the start of April.

here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52750

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post subject: Re: Coalition of 6 Males on S100
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm 

Not sure if it is the same coalition but i know there is a male coalition that hunts elephants in Singita Lebombo concession and their territory might well include the eastern ends of the S100 and the H6. Would love to see them they are pure power!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LeeuBrul wrote:
Currently there is a coalition of 6 males in the Olifants/Satara/Tshokwane area. Their territitory spans a massive 250 000ha at the "moment". I saw them in March on the S100 and again in April on the Nwanetzi tar road, close to Sonop waterhole. Has anybody see (a) coalition of 6 in this region of the park lately? Any update on them will be appreciated. Ill send some photos soon...

Hey LeeuBrul I dont think these can be the same lions dominating such a huge area, maybe there are another one or two groups of 6. There are plenty of other dominant males that I have seen in this area and if these guys are at Tshokwane one day it will take them a couple of weeks on average to get upto Olifants...doesnt make sense in terms of energy and also fathering cubs because they will just be killed by other males passing through.

Put it this way, the dominant coalition of the Sabi Sands a few years back which numbered 6 big males as well only utilized an area of about 400 km^2 at most but more like half of that and they had about 5-6 prides in their territory. As soon as they extended their territory they started getting competition from other males and one of the 6 males got killed by a group of 5 young males.

This area you have given them is about 10 x the size and is also in prime lion country as well!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
SilverSpur wrote:
That area is way to big, there will be many prides covering that.

the coalition operates in other prides territories. Read the other thread these 6 males are the lions that the nat geo wild documentary 'lion wars' is based on. They have fought with females and males around satara. Their territory disregards other lion territories.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
During my May trip I came across these two young males huddled together in the early morning cold.(5 degrees). Taken close to the Nkaya Pan turnoff on the H1-3.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful Photo adw :thumbs_up:

Love the golden Light :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Is it just my bias, or are Kalahari lions much better looking, and more healthy-looking than Kruger lions?

These are in Kgalagadi.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Thanks issi,

They are the Kij Kij brothers we saw there a few years ago.

We had to zoom out,as they came to lie about 3 metres from where we had parked!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:40 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Bush Baptist maybe it depends which Lions you see. :wink: If you take a look at my last Satara trip report you will see many male lions. All majestic and huge and good condition. :D

I did see a pride of 6 or 7 females on the H7 in bad condition. Thin and sickly. But you could clearly see a few puncture marks from horns. So That doesn't really have anything to do with Kruger, but that particular pride's unsuccessful and possibly over ambitious hunting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BB,

Thanks for sharing those lovely lion pictures.

I was hoping they were all current, since my last trip in April/May last year was not too good -- saw too many sickly lions, especially this young male near Mata Mata (he moved like he needed a walking stick!), and an old, dying female at MM campsite.

At least this youngster had potential...

And this one looked good in spite of mangy patches on his face...

Still need some good pics of a Kgalagadi lion in prime condition!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Last edited by Friedrich von Hörsten on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 62  Next