Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lion
Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 pm 
Weird, this!

SWNMNBM and I were on the S-25 Croc River Road on Friday at around noon, and once again a big male next to the road. This was less than 10 km from my sighting on the previous page, nearer the Mlambane River, so I asked the other car that was there if there was a black-maned one too! The answer was yes, and I assumed it was the same bunch, although there was a third male present as well.

The above male seemed as weather-beaten as the previous sighting's pic, but when the black-maned one came out, it was in very good condition!

So it seems there are two little coalitions of mature males in that area! :shock:

Post subject: Re: Unusual lion behaviour
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi everyone :D

This thread which started in 2009 is still relevant to today! The large group of nomadic males now numbers 6 and they still cause havoc in the nwanetsi area!
I saw them attack a male this year at the start of April.

here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52750

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post subject: Re: Coalition of 6 Males on S100
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm 

Not sure if it is the same coalition but i know there is a male coalition that hunts elephants in Singita Lebombo concession and their territory might well include the eastern ends of the S100 and the H6. Would love to see them they are pure power!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LeeuBrul wrote:
Currently there is a coalition of 6 males in the Olifants/Satara/Tshokwane area. Their territitory spans a massive 250 000ha at the "moment". I saw them in March on the S100 and again in April on the Nwanetzi tar road, close to Sonop waterhole. Has anybody see (a) coalition of 6 in this region of the park lately? Any update on them will be appreciated. Ill send some photos soon...

Hey LeeuBrul I dont think these can be the same lions dominating such a huge area, maybe there are another one or two groups of 6. There are plenty of other dominant males that I have seen in this area and if these guys are at Tshokwane one day it will take them a couple of weeks on average to get upto Olifants...doesnt make sense in terms of energy and also fathering cubs because they will just be killed by other males passing through.

Put it this way, the dominant coalition of the Sabi Sands a few years back which numbered 6 big males as well only utilized an area of about 400 km^2 at most but more like half of that and they had about 5-6 prides in their territory. As soon as they extended their territory they started getting competition from other males and one of the 6 males got killed by a group of 5 young males.

This area you have given them is about 10 x the size and is also in prime lion country as well!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
SilverSpur wrote:
That area is way to big, there will be many prides covering that.

the coalition operates in other prides territories. Read the other thread these 6 males are the lions that the nat geo wild documentary 'lion wars' is based on. They have fought with females and males around satara. Their territory disregards other lion territories.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
During my May trip I came across these two young males huddled together in the early morning cold.(5 degrees). Taken close to the Nkaya Pan turnoff on the H1-3.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful Photo adw :thumbs_up:

Love the golden Light :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Is it just my bias, or are Kalahari lions much better looking, and more healthy-looking than Kruger lions?

These are in Kgalagadi.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Thanks issi,

They are the Kij Kij brothers we saw there a few years ago.

We had to zoom out,as they came to lie about 3 metres from where we had parked!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:40 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Bush Baptist maybe it depends which Lions you see. :wink: If you take a look at my last Satara trip report you will see many male lions. All majestic and huge and good condition. :D

I did see a pride of 6 or 7 females on the H7 in bad condition. Thin and sickly. But you could clearly see a few puncture marks from horns. So That doesn't really have anything to do with Kruger, but that particular pride's unsuccessful and possibly over ambitious hunting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BB,

Thanks for sharing those lovely lion pictures.

I was hoping they were all current, since my last trip in April/May last year was not too good -- saw too many sickly lions, especially this young male near Mata Mata (he moved like he needed a walking stick!), and an old, dying female at MM campsite.

At least this youngster had potential...

And this one looked good in spite of mangy patches on his face...

Still need some good pics of a Kgalagadi lion in prime condition!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Last edited by Friedrich von Hörsten on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Friedrich,
A few healthy Kgalagadi lions - end of April 2011

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Vlakvarkvrou & BB

Thanks!

That looks much better!

Glad to see they are in such good condition.
Makes me want to go and check them out soon, but no luck till next year...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post subject: Re: Lions mostly seen in early morning, fact or myth
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 am 

To put my 2 sent worth and out of my experience being guide in Kruger mostly in the south we find the following.

It is a myth to say lions sleep on the tar roads during winter time(Mei,June,July,Aug and some years Sep) The tar roads get cold and for that we hardly find them in those month sleeping on the roads. We did tent to find them on gravel in winter month more early morning. Also if we do find them early morning(from gate open to about 0800) it was mostly just on the side of the road if it was on the tar. Now even this is percentage involved and would say 80% of the times these month when find sleeping or lying down. For these month as for them being active (walking, marking territory, hunting)we find that they normal did it in morning time on the roads as the grass are wet and they prefer the dyer paths of the roads. But then again we seen them 60% of our lions this time of year only after 09:00. Reason being that your general game only really start getting active from this time in these month and also concentrate more around water as there is less water in the veld. So the hunting habits change to hunting more during the day than night and also when your game start going to water. But there are exceptions to the rule as well.

For summer month(November, December, January, February, March and some extent April) We tend to find them 70% of the time early mornings(gate open to around 0700) on the roads sleeping as the tar is still quite hot from the day before. I just did experience this is Feb of this year as we find lions 11 times and only 1 of these sighting was after 1000. Also our sighting was when we were one of the first 15 vehicles or one of the last 15 before gates closing. As for being a guide the pattern seems to be the same as for finding lions on the roads. The lions that we did find past 1000 in summer was normally sleeping under the side of same bushes or trees and normally from 15m to 100m of the road. We hardly find any active lions past 10:00 or before 17h00 in summer. Also seem that morning time and late afternoon was our best chances of seeing them. But then again there are exceptions.

As for the rest of the month(sep,oct,april) it was 50/50 and normally the conditions or weather influence the sightings to same decree. If it was hot and dry, our sightings would be mostly be late morning/early evening close to water, cold and dry, mostly middle of the day also close to water, wet and cold…… any time of the day, and wet and hot mostly early morning late afternoon.

Now these are not facts and nor taken out of n book. This is what I experience doing 250 days a year from 2000-2007 and going to Kruger for 30years. For some people it is different and also luck play a big part in this.

Answer to the Question if it is Fact or myth of seeing more lions during the morning? The answer will be neither. Depend on temperature, conditions of veld, availability of game and 80% Luck!!! The other 20% is taken the factors in to account to improve your luck and you choices of road for the day!

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Post subject: Re: Lions mostly seen in early morning, fact or myth
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Dirk

Thank you for those interesting observations. We have taken note of them!

You are a very lucky guy to be right there, close to PKop!
This past Dec we had the loveliest encounters with an old lioness (she had serious scars/scratches down her left ribs) and her 3 cubs, plus a young lioness. We saw them daily, and always in the S7 road at about 5:00,

but once they chose to spend all day on the rocks when it was cold and drizzling. Hope those cubs have grown up well -- their mom looked cheeky enough!

In summer, when it had rained at night, it was also very exciting to be one of the first cars on the gravel roads, to look for spoor of animal activities in the road during the night -- always exciting when you can track them down and find them -- still in the road!

I hope you don't race like some of those other guides around PK -- I have found out that if you see a speeding green safari vehicle, then just follow them like a vulture to the nearest lion or leopard sighting!

See you at 5:00 on the S7 in December, with that pack of 8 wild dogs or my favourite lions....

God bless,

Friedrich von Horsten

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 61  Next