Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lion Kills
Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:45 pm 

I hope there are some of you who can answer this question for me - and hopefully a game ranger who should have the answer. (cannot find an answer on the 'net)

Three weeks ago saw a kill where 11 Lions killed a Buffalo, after the Buff was dead the Lions did not seem to start tearing at the carcass immediately.

They first seemed to lick the various parts of the animal (each Lion was licking in the area - or their position at the carcass where they were lying)

I have been told that they do this to tenderize the meat??? This does not make sense to me. If the comment was that they are stripping the area of hair - that would make some sense - but I cannot see how licking can tenderize the meat - the skin perhaps!!

Any comments

KC

Post subject: Re: Lion Kills
Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi KC
It strange indeed :hmz: .I have also seen where lions killed a buff but they started eating asap.In your case the lions might not have been as hungry and might have taken a short rest after all the effort to bring down a buff.And it could have been to stripe all the hair off.Some of those 11 lions you saw might not have the luxury of starting to eat at the back and must get to the meat from difficult places.

A buffs skin is very tough and maybe the licking does make the skin soft.We all know how rough a lions tongue is so maybe they lick the skin to make it softer coz they might damage there k9's if they try to tear into the hard leather like skin.

If you take your thumb and rub the top of your fist hard for 10min it becomes very sore and may start to bleed (some idiots done it in school) and all I can imagine is something similar happening to the buffs skin!

Thats all that I think might have happened! :doh:

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi KC, I don't believe thats the case. More likely to 'clean' the area or as B5S suggested. Buffalo hide is very thick and lions have to work very hard to gnaw through the skin. I have read some where, can't remember now where, that the prime spot is claimed by the dominant female (or if the male is present, he would took the spot). The prime spot being the rectum.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:00 pm 

In fact what you have been told about tenderizing the meat is quite true. Lions are very delicate eaters. They prefer the prime meat, and will shun the other pieces in favour of this. But since a buffalo has only so much fillet, they have developed the ability to tenderize the meat before consumption.

The process works in the following way.

Firstly they will try and kill the buffalo as soon as possible as to minimize the amount of adrenaline and other stress hormones that is released. The best way is to either grab it by the throat or by the nose.

After the animal has passed away the pride will take up position around the buffalo. Now they will systematically start licking the animal, careful not to miss a spot. Not to remove hair, but to cover the animal with saliva. Studies have shown that the excitement of the hunt triggers the release of a special hormone in to the lions saliva. It is called "bulshetties" hormone. This hormone is extremely potent and will penetrate even through the skin of the buffalo, and start acting on the tissue of the buffalo. This process of licking can continue for quite a while, especially after they killed one of the old bulls, because we all know that these bulls are much tougher and off course full of bull.

Now, after the animal has been licked, they will open the carcass, starting at the softest places such as the rectum and belly. After first eating the soft meat, they will further tenderize the meat by hitting it against rocks. Apparently they prefer either iron rocks or granites, since it transfers a nice rocky taste to the meat.

If they are so lucky to have some magic guarri or even a few nice wild olive bushes around, they may pick a few leaves, crushing it and sprinkle it over the meat. In this case they will let it lie around for a few hours, preferably in the sun. This pulls the flavour in to the meat.

They also use some biological agents in this process. The most well known is the blow fly. These insects will arrive shortly after the kill, and deposit some eggs and larvae on the meat. Within an hour or two this army of larvae will explode all over the carcass, tenderizing it even further.

So, yes, your advisers were indeed correct. Lions love tenderizing their meat. No, bull! :thumbs_up:

:tongue: :twisted:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:03 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
And yet again i have learnt something new!
Thanks Imberbe :thumbs_up: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:

Firstly they will try and kill the buffalo as soon as possible as to minimize the amount of adrenaline and other stress hormones that is released. The best way is to either grab it by the throat or by the nose.

Imberbe, maybe a stupid question?
But what do you mean by killing the buffalo by grabbing it by its nose? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What gourmets they are :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
bulshetties
:hmz: Clue perhaps :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:26 am 

:lol: At the risk of misleading anybody ... let me rather put the facts straight. 90% of what I wrote was pure bull! :twisted:

Lions will eat virtually anything and has no need or time for any form of tenderizing ... :lol:

@ Sawubona: That was one of the true facts. Lion and even leopard kill a large amount of their prey by asphyxiation. They will place their mouth over the nose and mouth of their victim, cutting off the air supply. With buffalo this may be a bit risky, because they would probably get crushed. So they first need to wear down or immobilize the victim before they can attempt this.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ohhh......

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
they will further tenderize the meat by hitting it against rocks. Apparently they prefer either iron rocks or granites, since it transfers a nice rocky taste to the meat.

If they are so lucky to have some magic guarri or even a few nice wild olive bushes around, they may pick a few leaves, crushing it and sprinkle it over the meat. In this case they will let it lie around for a few hours, preferably in the sun. This pulls the flavour in to the meat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs_up:

I've been visiting the KNP for 40 years and I've never seen a lion kill happening. I've seen lions feeding on kills but I guess I should just stay positive and patience! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:29 pm 
Hello and welcome, Kicker Cat!

Imberbe is a very naughty boy...and hopefully you are not naughty too! :twisted:

The only explanation I can think of is that the lion were pretty full of food already, and were also not concerned about other lions or hyena potentially approaching!

The licking may have to do with gathering salt, but I doubt it, rather some sort of ritual.

Never seen that. Where was it? :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:

So, yes, your advisers were indeed correct. Lions love tenderizing their meat. No, bull! :thumbs_up:

:tongue: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ja.....this was good :dance: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one Imberbe.