Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The white lions of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

Location: You can take me out of Kruger, but you can never take Kruger out of me!
Hi All

I have just returned from Timbavati and was fortunate to have seen the two white female lion cubs that the chad has posted pictures of!!! :dance: According to our guide, there are currently three wild white lions- these two females and a young male that is part of another pride.

Apparently it is possible for other white lions to be roaming somewhere within Kruger (as the area is so vast and large amounts of wilderness areas are restricted to the public) but it seems that there is a lack of current evidence to support this theory.

I think the natural occurance of White lions is fantastic as it was thought that they were infact extinct in the early 1990's!

A recent documentary has been made about the white lions of Timbavati and I think it will hit S.A shores soon!!!

Berg en Dal: 21 May 2011
PKop: 22- 23 May 2011
Orpen: 24 May 2011
Letaba Indaba! 25- 28 May 2011!!! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:29 pm 
I'm pretty sure the genes are still around in the Timbavati - Tshokwane area in Kruger too, so just a matter of time, IMHO! :thumbs_up:

Unfortunately they are unlikely to appear anywhere else, as the lionesses don't really move long distances!

Post subject: White Lions
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm 

Hi guys I remember reading a thread here a long time ago about white lions in the Kruger. Can someone please be so kind as to help me locate it?

Regards
~Ari

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Eish, Elsa, Klystron, I think we need to go and find these lion on our next trip into Kruger. That is the wonderful thing about the place, there is always something else you have on your wish list.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone, Just saw this forum today and would like to know if there has been any WHITE LION sightings recently in KRUGER in any area.

Kind Regards

Mohammed Sheth

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There has been some reports in the Timbavati and also the adjoining Klaserie. Mostly young animals at the moment.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Been trying to see them in the wild for many years - no such luck - but I did get a few phodies back in 2005.

Guess it's ok to post them after all the years - mods feel free to remove.

First one may not look like a white lion, but he's an old guy - probably dead by now.

Same male with one of his lady friends

Two females - one white, one carrying the gene.

The most beautiful younger male lion I have ever seen - not white, but carrying the gene

and finally a "Aah so cute" cub

I can honestly say these were the best cared for lions in captivity that I have ever seen - just look how darn fat and lazy they were.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow Avon superb pics. I have seen many Lions over the past but never white. I would love to see white lions in Kruger.

Meerkitty wrote:
Have never seen a white lion (even in captivity) WOW, it would be amazing to see them in the wild :thumbs_up:

My new goal :mrgreen:

I have set my goal for next Kruger trip in June, Searching for the White Lion. Would be a great title for my TR as well.

Imberbe wrote:
There has been some reports in the Timbavati and also the adjoining Klaserie. Mostly young animals at the moment.

If I am not mistaken they have taken out the fence between Kruger and Timbavati right, so there is a chance of the young males moving into Kruger right :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
@Kallis1786. The white lions have been spotted in the Klaserie/Timbavati/Umbabat region as recently as middle November. So it appears that they are sticking to that area but nothing prevents them from moving to Kruger. And yes, there are no fences to keep them in. All three above mentioned areas now form part of the greater Kruger area. (We have got a trip planned to the Umbabat area for middle February and hopefully we will spot the white ones.)

Thats great news :D . Hopefully I can see them in the Timbavati loop on my trip in June. :pray: that they move to the orpen area.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
@Kallis1786. The white lions have been spotted in the Klaserie/Timbavati/Umbabat region as recently as middle November.
The white lion cubs got eaten by their granny.

For the full story, download Klaserie Chronicle #18 here:

http://www.ecochildren.co.za/index.php? ... Itemid=164

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

kallis1786 wrote:
Hopefully I can see them in the Timbavati loop
The now eaten white cubs were part of the Ross pride. As the name implies, the farm Ross in the Klaserie is part of their core territory, along with Joubertshoop, which is mostly in the Timbavati. These farms are almost due west of Leeubron, but as the crow flies the distance is 30 - 42 km, with plenty of tawny lion prides in between. Your chances of encountering a white lion on the S39 are very slim.

Edited to add that there is also a pair of "white" subadults in the Dundee/Seekoeigat area, but that's even farther away.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:34 am 

Spotted a female 2 km's north of Bangu Waterhole in 2009, and some time inn the 80's a male just north of Tshokwane and a female on Elofstreet. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Graham_5000 wrote:
They will become rarer and rarer as a heterozygous male AND heterozygous female need to mate to produce a 25% chance of a cub being white. The odds of two heterozygous animals meeting will thus diminish with time too.

There is a less chance and there always has been a less chance. This world is very unpredictable. Who knows they might not diminish

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With reference to concerns over the scarcity of white lions :-

Remember - if the gene for a white lion exist, it can never be destroyed, it will always be there.

Just think of how the quagga were "re-created" by selective breeding 100 years after it's
extinction.

So the white lions will not disappear - they might not be there for a while but will eventually return.

I in any-case beleave there could still be quite a few around as I have seen 2 prides in the early nineties
[ one or two tanned ones amongs the two prides ] in Timbavati close to the KNP boundary at or
just before the time the fences were lifted.

[ The 2 prides were having a territorial dispute one evening at late dusk.]

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:33 am 

These were taken in july 2010 the Timbavati

As far as I know the two females are still around , seen from the private lodges (umlani , kings camp , tanda tula , motswari etc )

Was very lucky to see them on a number of different ocasions during my time in the Timbavati . The 1st time I saw them you could not see that they were white lions (both covered in mud and blood , feeding on a giraffe kill with moms and siblings ) , the photo's above are from my 2nd sighting looking all fresh and clean.

There was another cub born to a different pride but we didn't get to see her much , travelled in an area off limits to the private lodges.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next