Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:02 pm 

I have stood and driven through a herd of buffalo many a time and never felt afraid to do so. ai would think twice next time.

A farmer just outside of our town had many buffalo on his farm aswell. He had a "tame" bull. About 2 years ago this tame bull killed him. Very tragically.

Wild animals stay wild no matter how domesticated we my think they become, they will always have some of the wild in them. Must remember they are wild.

I've heard cheetah are very easily domesticated but I've also heard that as soon as a child (that is smaller than it) approaches the cheetah, it immediately takes notice of the child and rangers have warned children not to go close to them if an adult as not with them (Kraggakamma)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:07 am 

Thanks for that Ingala..most interesting indeed...a 42 " Buffalo in Kruger is a monster anyway and only makes the Min R&W!!...the SA record I mentioned makes it by 7 something inches. That No 1 of 64" is actually a cow with long straight out horns that curl up at the ends so it made the "Rules" I think the Biggest Bull went 55" from Matetsi??????

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Pikkie wrote:
I have stood and driven through a herd of buffalo many a time and never felt afraid to do so. ai would think twice next time.

The big herds of buffalo do not contain these dagha boys. Like I've said they are loners who hold close to reed beds.

On a walk on the Bushman trail one morning we came across a dagha boy spoor. The ranger refused to walk into the direction of the spoor and when someone asked him jokingly if he was scared he replied by jokingly handing the rifle to the person asking and said that he could guide it from here if he wanted to go that direction. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Your typical "Duggaboy", hornless and toothless. :lol: I was wondering "how much longer" for this old chap.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
<...>As we edged level with the older one of the two, he swung his head around towrds us and looked as if he was seriously going to charge us. <...>

Could you have simply been too close to them to begin with?
I'm always very cautious around buffalo, especially dagga boys, but up until now I have never felt threatened by them. Large herds are usually quite relaxed, as long as you allow them their space and don't intrude. (Stay put, switch off your engine, and allow them to enter your comfort zone*). Not the other way round!) They're just very inquisitive...
Approaching (or "accidentally bumping into") lone bulls on foot is a different story, tho'. :?

Edit: *) Same goes for elephants by the way.

Last edited by Jose on Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:12 pm 

A nice young future monster Buffalo Bull out on the plains at Addo

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Re: Buffalo
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 pm 

ImageLarge

Last edited by Elsa on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic resized.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Reading up all the old threads and picking up interesting snippets of information. Seen the couple of magnificent photos here, especially of the cows with their extraordinarily long horns.

As WTM said, the Rowland Ward record is a cow, shot in 1946 at Manyara, Tanzania. She had a spread of 64", or 162.5 cm. There was an interesting story around this, as Philip Percival was the PH with the hunter. When he saw her he knew it was the number one, so he had hunter run with him, into the middle of the herd, where the hunter shot her. (Some argued that Percival went in alone and shot her, and had the client claim her.) Since this was a cow and he had her registered as the new #1, he was almost excommunicated by the East African PH fraternity.

(BTW, Rowland Ward has now changed their measuring system in such a way that it will discourage the shooting of young big herd bulls as happens too often, and will favour shooting the old bulls that are past breeding. They will also not register cows any more.)

But to put that record and size into perspective, here's a photo of a bull from 2001, also from Manyara. (I know this is not my photo, and not taken in a SANParks park, but I believe it adds valueto the thread.)

The photo was taken by a tourist, and copyright to it and others the tourist took, purchased by Safari Press International. The horns were picked up in the veldt within a year IIRC - thought to have been a lion kill. Speculation was that is would be a new world record, but it came some 1.5" short - maybe a little bit more. But these also measured over 60 inches across.

So just think what that cow must have looked like...

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:16 am 

I think those buff from the Manyara area are a lot of freaks IMO..dont look real....give me a typical Matetsi/lowveld buff anyday. The SA Record was shot on an adjoining farm to our family's in Sabi Sand Wildtuin in the 1980's..just over 49" and I recall my late Aunt being absolutely totally furious as this magnificent beast used to be part of the herd that stayed on her farm 90% of the year only to be blown away next door as it stepped onto the next door property to be put on a wall and into the next edition of "the book".

Here is a pic of a typical Addo Dagga Bull..very valuable and disease free

And this is how a Trophy Buff should look like taken with a Camera thank goodness near Mopani in Kruger (The "dull" area of Kruger where most of the big ellies and buff are found) early one morning shared by Johan Oelofse's wife in the only other car with me. Young ..his boss is still smoothish so he will go bigger and if you can imagine a 12" ruler end on end x 4 = 48 " then he is bigger than that outside curve to outside curve..best buff I have ever seen in over 100 trips to Kruger..lovely natural looking deep curls and he is alive today as a Ranger saw him this week..long may he stay off a wall

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Peter,

Lovely bull that last one. And yes, as long as he doesn't develop a "scrum pet" (broken off horns from fighting) he will be a lovely specimen when he's old. I agree with you that they look far better than those long-horned freaks of Manyara.

And don't you just love that look? That is why buffalo is my favourite animal. When they stand there, looking at you down their noses like that, as if so many bank managers whom you owe serious amounts of money, there's not many animals that can match them. Predators eye. "That look" from a buffalo bull. Life is good.

As far as hunting goes? Yes, unless it is a real problem animal and no other alternative exist, I don't see myself shooting any of the big five. I eat what I shoot, and I don't go out to see how many I can shoot - and teach my kids the same.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
A little video of some Kruger Buffalo's. :wink:

see Video:

Last edited by Nico on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,

Anyone have a suggestion as what could have caused this? Maybe a horn? Fight?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 pm 
I don't think it's a predator wound, necessarily!

Possibly a fight, but whatever it is, I think oxpecker birds have niggled at the wound to make it so nice and "neat"! :|

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Richprins, it could have been a fight, i dont think it could have been a predator because of the type of wound!

But it seems like the ox peckers have cleaned it up a bit :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There was flies all over, will try to post a closer photo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next