Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:45 pm 

This guy looks like he's been in a few wars, one horn broken and now a fresh wound. He had a few scratches down the side too, must have been lion attack

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
This dagga boy either had a run in with another dagga boy or as you have said, by mentioning the scars on the flank had some visit from lions. Whichever way I would hate to see what his competitior looks like.

Post subject: buffalo
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Hows this for a headset. photographed this handsome guy on the H1-3 near Tshokwane.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:06 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

This big herd seen on the H3 from the bridge over the Matjula

Post subject: Albino Buffalo Calf
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:29 pm 

Amazing - a pure white buffalo calf. Why does it occur, how often, what are the chances of its survival relative to other calves its age, should the park rear the calf in captivity.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:16 pm 

Amazing pic.
Albino animals are born due to a recessive gene that is expressed by chance. Mommy and daddy just happen to carry the gene and by chance this is the gene that is transferred to the sperm and egg during meiosis. Then, eureka a white calf is born.
As for chances for survival, IMO slim, as this calf would stand out like a sore thumb, and no i don't think that the calf should be reared in captivity as this is a recessive gene that is expressed and these gene's usually carry other abnoramalities that is un-healthy. ie not good for the buffalo population.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wild-doc wrote:
as this is a recessive gene that is expressed and these gene's usually carry other abnoramalities that is un-healthy.

Just on the point of gernetics.

Each and every living thing carries recessive genes (Also referred to as the genotype) and dominat genes that you can "see" like the colour of a persons eyes (ALso called the Phenotype. A homozygous(Coming from the mother and father) state of any of these rececive genes make it visible, should the locus not be on the gender chromosome.

Some heterozygous states can also be visible and only be spread by one parent (Like hair growing from the ears of men, that is a gene only carried by the males). Recessive genes can be a weakpoint, strongpoint or not influencial on the well-being of any animal.

It is however incorect to say that e rececive gene carries other abnormalities, as a single gene only accounts for itself. This calf may be the strongest ever, or have many other problems, all non related to the gene for albinism that is a single factor non sex linked recessive.

I kind of hope it survives long enought (Within a herd it is a slim possibility) as I would be facinated by a fully grown white buffalo. (As with Moby Dick, this is the stuff that legends are made of.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:29 am 

Quote:
It is however incorrect to say that e recessive gene carries other abnormalities, as a single gene only accounts for itself. This calf may be the strongest ever, or have many other problems, all non related to the gene for albinism that is a single factor non sex linked recessive.

Maybe i tried to oversimplify it. It is well known that recessive gene's are often "connected " to other gene's that carry abnormalities, that if the one is expressed the other "weak treats" will also be expressed.For example cystic fibrosis albinism. yes not all recessive genes carry abnormalities. Take another example, people born with blue eyes,( that is a recessive trait), now physically there is nothing wrong with people who have blue eyes, but statistically it has been shown that people with blue eyes have in general poorer vision. But then again if we want to use the correct terms we must rather say that dominance and recessivity are properties of characters, not genes. :wink: [/quote]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 am 

We found the herd on 30th June on the H1-4, just past the Gudzani turn-off, at about 6h30 the morning. They were just starting to move off the road where they obviously spent the night. We tried to count them, sorted them in groups of ten, and came up with a figure of around 800. Impressive sight.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I saw this herd two years ago. I also estimate this herd to be 800-900 individuals strong.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I saw a really huge herd at satara on the H7 at Nsemani dam on the 9/7/07. they were all crossing the dam. there were approx 150-200 that i could see, but there were tons more in the distant trees also.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Large herds of Buff will be found from Satara and to the north, there is a herd walking from Satara all the way up to Mopanie which is 1200 strong (This was now about 2 years ago), and it took them 45 minutes to just cross the S-100 heading north.

It surely is a sight so see such herds in the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I saw 2 very big herds of buffaloes 2 years ago.
One in the Satara area, I started couting them, stopped at a hundred and then estimated there was over 500 individuals

and another one on the Letaba river bed, going up the cliff towards Matambenhi hide.
3 young lions tried to get a young but had to step back when big buffaloes came at them ...It is quite far unfortunately, I saw that with binocs only.

sorry the photos are not very good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:24 pm 

Not in the Satara area, but we came across a huge herd on the S28 this year, they were on and in either side of the road, and continued on for about 2 kms.
Difficult to count, but there must have been in excess of 500.+ :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Missed the beasts, but drove through their evidence continuously for about 3 kms on the S3 in Feb. Had to scrape at least 1500 layers of buffalo pat off my tyres afterwards. Couldn't smell anything else for a week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next