Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great picture Gunner, that would be beautiful enlarged and up on the wall.

We saw this female elephant in our recent trip and thought her tusks certainly made her different. Would be interesting to follow her as they grow.
Image Large

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
This was one seriously overprotective mommy. Before I get criticised too much, I DID NOT LOOK FOR ANY TROUBLE.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweni-Wildlife-Photography/121301474617825

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
I always find the dexterity of an elephant trunk so fascinating, it is obviously not too sensitive to pain as it picks up thorn branches, crushes them and then proceed to eat them!

Post subject: Re: Identification Help – Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have no idea whether this one might be even considered to be an emerging tusker??

We saw him on the H10 not very far from Lower Sabie on the 3rd of March 2014 6H02.

His left hand tusk is much longer than his right hand tusk. A lovely animal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:17 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Hi LQ - I am sure you will be happy to learn the following of the elephant you submitted, from the team :D

Quote:
The below tusker is one we are aware he certainly has notable tusks and could be considered an emerging tusker. He is currently on our monitoring list but is not named.

One of the reason for this is the first submission we received showed his ear markings clear but his tusks we largely obscured by the vegetation so we could not get a full frontal view of the tusks. He is also an older bull and there is a concern that he will not continue to develop further into one of the Great Tuskers. Currently the difference in tusk length over the 2 years between the 2 submission that I can see is negligible so I am still not convinced he will develop further, but we will continue to monitor the bull hopefully though additional submissions and make a final decision when the committee next meets.

Thank You!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great pics and sightings :thumbs_up:

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 pm 

Another very muddy Ellie who I am not sure would be a tusker but he was seen on the H14 in Feb 2013

ImageLarge

and this one on the S143 Capricorn Loop also Feb 2013

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We saw this fella at the causeway over the Letaba River on the H14, November 2011.

It is a cropped photo, because he was way in the distance. :redface:

Hoping he may be someone special. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Eh...RosemaryH? We have another for you? :gflower: :lol: Sorry, we're totally into elephants. The bigger, the better. Having been seriously scared by a charging bull on the Mahonie Loop hasn't made a dent in our love for elephants.

This one is also from 2010 on the same trip we saw Machachule. We did get an unofficial name for him but want to know now if he's known to Sanparks. We were stopped by a bull on the Giriyondo road. There was no question about his intentions. I reversed to a safe distance and the BIG boss walked out of the bushes:

The Askari with the big guy emerging from the bushes:

This was the bull he was protecting. Very calm and collected fellow.

The right tusk was distinctly longer than the left which we got the impression of that it was broken at some stage. His ears were clean. Overall a "neat" bull.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Elsa :) regarding your request posted here
Quote:
The first image seen on the H-14 is a very nice bull, he has weight on his tusks as oppose to length at this stage, I would certainly want to keep an eye on him, he does appear to be an older bull but his condition is still good so there is still a chance he may still develop further. I do not recognize the ear markings and have looked at the all the bulls we are currently monitoring and I cannot find a match. If I can receive this submission via email I will be able to create a new monitoring file for him in the hopes of further submissions.
The 2 images from the Capricorn loop I would be cautious to consider a potential emerging tusker, he seems to be an older bull (pelvis and shoulder blades showing on the side profile) this could be condition but given the time of the year should not be the issue. His tusks do catch attention although they are fairly think at this stage. I would be concerned about the ability to develop further for this bull.

8) Val - your request posted here]
Quote:
This is an interesting image, it would be great to have a higher quality images to see the ear markings clearly to determine if he is an existing bull that may have broken a tusk. I have only one other submission of a similar tusker with such a severe break, this was taken in July 2011 north of Mooiplaas (Mopani) and nothing since. Sadly neither image is in high resolution to determine with certainty that it is the same bull, but as mentioned the break is virtually identical and the time line is feasible to have moved towards Letaba. I would love to get more data on him to see if he is a new bull or not and if he is perhaps still around.

Guinea Pig :thumbs_up: - your request posted here
Quote:
You are absolutely correct the left tusk has definitely suffered a break at some stage, it is a fairly smooth break which might indicate that it has been some time since the break. I would tread cautiously here – are there any more images? Side profiles do not given the best perception on a tusk length and can be very misleading depending on the angle of the head as well (Ngonyama looks completely different from every angle for example which is why we rely on his markings heavily when IDing him) There is a notable square notch right at the top of left ear visible in the second image it could be the angle that it is visible here but it does not appear to match the other know tusker with this type of break (the previous submission by Guinea Pig). I would like to view more images if possible before I make a final comment on this bull, the tusks are definitely in the emerging league, but I would like to be sure this is not the same bull first.

Nice sightings :dance: :dance: :thumbs_up:It would be great if you could email the photographs as requested :D tuskers@sanparks.org.
Thank You!! :D :gflower:

Edited by RosemaryH to transfer reply to here Masthulele

Edited by RosemaryH to transfer reply to here Machachule

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I believe this is the same bull as posted by LQ in the first post on this thread.

Seen in December 2013 close to Mlondozi

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:02 pm 

I can't remember if this cow is Ma Merle or Trix?
Seen in the Olifants river in Feb 2009.

ImageLink

ImageLink

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Phokojwe :D regarding your request posted here
Quote:
I agree completely this is the same bull – it is a very good image showing the ear markings perfectly, good to see his condition picked up between the December sighting and the March sighting.

Elsa a very interesting reply to the pictures and info posted here :)
Quote:
MaMerle and MaTrix are both located in the Tshokwane area, MaMerle also going south towards Skukuza and MaTrix north to Satara. As the breeding herds do not usually move the same distances as the lone bulls it think it is unlikely that either of them would have moved as far north as Letaba. This female is quiet interesting though as her longer (left) tusk almost seems to grow across her trunk it may just be the angle of the photo though, the right tusk has definitely been broken at some stage, which is a pity as it would seem quiet thick for a female and would have been interesting to see the length prior to the break. Just to be sure I checked the images of MaTrix as it is possible given the shape of the ivory it could be her and she could have broken her shorted tusk over time but normally she has a small growth on her ear towards the temples which I don’t see here. I am going to check with Dr Whyte about the feasibility of the distance and see if this is a possibility.

Hilda :D :D you have seen some wonderful ellies. :clap: Thanks for posting your sighting here I have sent them on for some identification.

Thanks for the informative and interesting details Kirsty :thumbs_up:

Edited by RosemaryH to transfer a reply to here

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:43 pm 

Thanks for the reply re the female we saw.
I look forward to confirmation if possible from Dr Whyte.

Post subject: Re: SANParks Elephants
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the elephant topics! Does this mean that Aat's site is no longer around or is it in addition to Aat's?
Just seen the big TUSKERS thread has been locked and explanation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next