Mammals: Q & A

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mammals: Q & A

Unread postby Jock » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 am

I would guess it was having a rest. We do see impala lie down fairly often when driving around, just taking the load off. You will always see one or two keeping an eye open for danger.
Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

JanG

Unread postby JanG » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I see in the Mammals list for the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park there is a Grass Climbing Mouse - should this not be a Gray Climbing Mouse ?

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm

welcome to the forum JanG :D

according to my book, there is 4 species of climbing Mice :
Nyika - Grey - Brants's - Chesnut

:hmz: it seems there is no Grass climbing Mouse
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

bondm

Unread postby bondm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi, Could anyone tell me what causes damage around the edge of the ears of Wid dogs.

Thanks bondm

Wild dog is not listed in the mammal index?

bondm

Unread postby bondm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks for your replies - I thought it might be due to some mite or other insect.

I know that notches are put into the ears of rhino for ID purposes.

Thanks Arks for the link - I had just looked for Wild Dog and not the full name.

All the best

bondm

RondaGreen

Re: Handeling Dangerous Animals

Unread postby RondaGreen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:42 am

Mars wrote:
With elephants reaching speed of up to 40 km/h you won't outrun it, most of the time there will be a mock charge, if the elephant is however charging, and no noises stops it, you make a run for it, run turning constantly left and right, on open ground in a straight line it will catch you. You can't hide in a tree.

I was talking a few year ago with a lady who had been studying chimpanzees in another African country, and she told me she had come unexpectedly upon a herd of elephants one day (at the time I wondered how you could get so close to elephants without seeing them, but since then have seen how easily they blend with the vegetation in Kruger) . They were startled, and charged. She remembered hearing that elephants can't maintain speed uphill for long so started running up a hill, and sure enough they soon fell behind and gave up. Of course there may not always be a convenient hill, or enough space between you and the closest elephant to start with. But has anyone else heard of this? (or been in a position to try it - which I hope I never am!)
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Return to “Mammals”