Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 203 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful tusker you found Wildkyker ! :clap:

Area, tusk shape and size, skin folds infront/below LH eye plus small ear notch with mini-notch just above it - it must be Mandzemba ! :dance:

Those tusks are really thick - imagine if they can keep growing for another 0.5 - 1.0 meter ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 pm 

Wildkyker,
No doubt and agree with 100ponder, it's Mandzemba. I found him first time in 2009 and thought he would be a nice "future" tusker. It's great to see him devellop , tusks are growing well so lovely to see you found him in good shape. :thumbs_up:

Wildkyker wrote:
Good day Aat
It has been a long time for me to post a tusker. I need some help with this one. During my visit to Kruger the past December I did not see many thet would fit the bill for Tusker. This was the only one I thought might.
Just outside Shingwedzi. Not the best pictures I know but he wouldnt let me get more.

Can you ID him?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanx 100 Ponder and Aat for the ID confirmation.
I am glad to have seen another Tusker and looking forward to see Mandzemba in the future.

Regards

Post subject: Big Tuskers - new named tusker Shabakhadzi
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 pm 

@ All

Just added a new named tusker to the tusker site.
His name: Shabakhadzi (named after small river near Mopani) He roams the Mopani area (Nshawu - Mooiplaas - Tihongonyeni)
I could add him thanks to D Roux, M v Schalkwyk and W Knoetze :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

some pictures of him:

-

-

Link to his page:
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/tuskersnp/shabakhadzi.htm

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely guy. Thanks Aat.

Post subject: Big Tuskers - New (Updated) Tusker ID documents
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 am 

@ ALL

If you are interested, I just updated the Tusker ID documents (North, Central and South)

They are in PDF format and you can download them from my site (look at the right side of the screen, just press the download buttons)

http://www.tuskersofafrica.com

Have fun with ID'ing but don't forget to post your Tusker sightings here

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great - in time for my next trip[ in two months time! Thanks Aat, these Tusker ID docs are much appreciated by us every year!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:56 pm 

Dear All

Please see the following media release:- posted here and on the front page.

Please see the amendment to the forum rules - posted here.

We would like to invite you to join in the Emerging Tuskers Project. There is a topic for this here on these forums - ID help - Tuskers

This topic will be split into the various officially named elephants and all relating posts and photos will be placed under the newly split off topics.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:18 pm 

Dear All,

The fact that so much information was gathered on the “Big Tuskers” thread of elephants and tuskers over the years, the moderators’ team discussed how this information could be reserved for readers of the forums and for future generations to enjoy.

It is also deemed necessary to clear some uncertainties with reference to the Emerging Tuskers Project vis a vis information on the “Big Tusker” thread.

When you run a project and need photographical evidence only photos submitted via E-mail or directly on the projects’ website may be used for the project. The reason being that by submitting photos in this way, the submitter automatically gives the project manager permission to use these photos in the project.

On the other hand normal postings of photos such as was done on the “Big Tuskers” thread does not give the project manager permission to use the photos for the project.

This is also the main reason why the existing Emerging tusker project of SANParks was affected, because Forumites did not submit photos via the SANParks tuskers@sanparks.org website and or via the email kirsty.redman@sanparks.org.

Due to the fact that our elephants are close to our hearts and that the emerging tusker project does not form part of the forums the following was suggested and approved to give us a chance to also participate on the forums as well:

1. A new Thread “SANParks Tuskers” was created that will consist of the following topics:

1.1 An “Identification Help – Tusker” thread where ‘mites can post photos, requesting the ID-ing and status of elephants found in SANParks (Currently KNP and Addo);

1.2 Separate topics for each individual SANParks named Tusker where discussions can take place and additional ID-et photos can be posted. A link to the “Elephant Hall” for each individual tusker was also added to read more about the tusker as well as to enjoy other topics on the “Elephant Hall” site; and

1.3 A new topic “SANParks Elephants” will be created where all elephants that are not classified as tuskers will find a new home for us to enjoy.

2. When a positive ID is made on the “Identification Help – Tusker” thread, the information will be transferred to the specific Tuskers’ topic.

3. All postings of elephants that are not classified as a Tusker will be transferred to the new “SANParks Elephants” thread for us all to enjoy.

Before we incorporate any posts of the “Big Tuskers” thread into the new environment, we wish to make sure which of the initial posters’ don’t want to be part of this project.

It will be appreciated if anybody who does not want his/her posts to be transferred to the new environment to indicate such decision via a PM to me (barryels), before or on the 11th of April 2014.

Your cooperation in this respect is appreciated.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203