Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: fear of elephants
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 am 

Am sure the trucks you'll be using a well armoured to cope with all possible situations, elephants are very peaceful animals, attacks are rare!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Bennievis,

You just made me chuckle recalling our trip last year. My Dad has a ‘healthy respect’ for ele’s, as he put’s it. :shock: When we were leaving the park last year, he told me to drive in front and he’d follow behind, towing the caravan ‘just in case’. Anyway, as predicted, we come across the ele in the middle of the road that decides he’s not going to budge. The ele then decides to play games and starts walking towards us. :twisted:

As I start reversing, my SO says to me ‘Jeez, your Dad’s trying to do a three-point turn with the caravan’. I look behind, and my Dad in his panic, has the van going in all directions except down the middle of the road. I think even the ele felt sorry for him and kindly moved off the road. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:59 am 

:clap:

To all the people that gave information. I am very pleased with what I learned from this discusion. It made me feel more at ease on what to do. I will enjoy my holiday.

I was fortunate enough to see a documentary about an elephant in the pilansburg that was attacked by a hippo and they had to get a circus trainer, that knew her, to come and help doctor her. That was amazing and what was the most amazing off all I had the privilage to see this same elephant in the pilansberg just after I saw that program.

The other thing about my trip to the pilansberg is that we were surrounded by a whole lot of elephants. I was so scared. On this trip we were using an old 1982 golf. And al of a sudden the damn things' exhaust came of and made a terrible noise. I got such a shock and one elle did not seem very happy about it. Luckily nothing happened.

The mice I will stick on our car will be from toys r us, probably made in china :lol: .

I am going to stay in croc bridge from 10 jan to 14 jan 2009, so if anybody is there it will be nice to meet. just look out for the car with the mice. I will put some mouse ears and a tail on it to, maybe then we will look like a giant mouse. No ellie will come even close.hhe-hheee!

I am feeling a lot more relaxed about them, so thank you all for the wonderful information.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm 

People Heres wat i like to do, when i see elephants.

I mock charge them. my self and passanger open and close the doors while revving and releasing and pushing the clutch.

it scares the elephants :twisted:

PS make sure you have great insurance and medical cover.
and do not try while in a uno or vw golf

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 am 

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is evil!! hheee-hheee

I am short and fat maybe I should get out the car and they will think I am a baby elephant. Maybe they will then protect me. ANYBODY HAVE A ELLIE SUITE that will fit a fatty?

I will just get out the car while runnin and screemin like the ellie. I don't need medical insurance then hheee-hhheee!!! :dance: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mathews wrote:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is evil!! hheee-hheee

I am short and fat maybe I should get out the car and they will think I am a baby elephant. Maybe they will then protect me. ANYBODY HAVE A ELLIE SUITE that will fit a fatty?

I will just get out the car while runnin and screemin like the ellie. I don't need medical insurance then hheee-hhheee!!! :dance: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:funny:

Nooooo! don't use an ellie suit, the mouse suit will do just fine!! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:37 am 

HHHEE-HHHEEEE

does anybody maybe have en exo-exo-exo large mouse suite for somebody with short legs!

:lol: :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mathews wrote:
HHHEE-HHHEEEE

does anybody maybe have en exo-exo-exo large mouse suite for somebody with short legs!

:lol: :twisted: :lol:

:whistle: Just paste a whisker or two on your face, add a long tail (please not your Yellow Ribbon) and get a grey/brown track suit - that will do the job :twisted:

O yeah ... remember to anounce that there is a new mouse on the loose in the KNP :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 am 

:lol: :lol:

That is so funny.

I will buy a grey tracksuite at P.E.P. Botique (pepstores). HE-HE. I am sure they will have a nice grey one with black and white stripes down the side.

If I buy a brown track suite the lions might think there's a nice stuffed sausage sitting in the car. he-he so i'll rather stay away from the brown ones. he-he.

So kruger here comes the round mouse. beware all ellies. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mathews: Bit late to contribute, just want to share the following thoughts:
I've noticed the following 'bout ellies in close company of them when they're on/next/close to the road feeding - but you need to observe them to notice; they'll pretend to be feeding (ellie just picking up sticks, for eg.) but meanwhile the little bugger will be contemplating whether or not he should be playing around with you by scaring the daylights out of you by flapping his hears and perhaps even (mock) charging at your car! :shock: Go figure...
I'm not giving any guidelines on how close to get or what distance to stay away from them or what you should do in situations - that topic has been covered extensively already. 8)

I do hope that you get chance to observe elephant behaviour; that's the only way to learn! Eg. at Berg-en-Dal camp the ellies come to the water in front of the camp regularly.
Follow your gut feeling; remember that all animals have a "personal space" like we do and expect the unexpected. I wish you a great trip with lots of memorable moments! :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The solution is very simple. Turn your binocs around. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:lol: :funny:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

rofl! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:12 am 

That is just so funny. I live in Perth man, there's nothing here to look for with bino's. I don't have them.

I think I should should start a business in South Africa, bino and mouse suite rentals for anybody who is scared of them ellies!!!

The advert:
The fear factor: rent a mouse suite - we also have have plus sizes and when you rent a mouse suite in exo large you can get the bino free (only available for long term rental). Anybody interested. I also give advice on how to decorate the car with tiny toy mice. Give me a call!

I think I will make money man!

Post subject: Elephants
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:59 pm 

I too am worried when I come accross elephants because I have been charged quite a few times only because we've surprised each other or because it was a bull in musth. I was on a private game drive by kruger and we parked about twenty metres from a dam with elephants swimming in it. The elephants started coming out the water towards us, by now I was already half way under my seat. The game ranger couldn't start the engines cause it would anger the elephants. One elephant ran at us and stopped two metres from us. Alot of times elephants charge because people get to close to them and invade their space. I try to keep my distance from them :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next