Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bats: ID Needed?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 pm 

Hi Batmad,

Thanks for the ID, the only thing that makes me think these are not the same bats as the original ones I saw is that these have a very brown-grey colour where as the original ones I saw were bigger and very orange-yellow and a lot more shy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Did your 1st bats have an orangy tinge to them on the breast??

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:05 pm 

It was quite a while ago and all I could see was more of a mustard colour overall lol

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am still going to stick with Sraw Coloured flying fox on your fist bat 8)

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm 

Hi Batmad, I am sure that you been asked this question many times but what are the bats in Skukuza cafeterias.ImageI took this photograph last November. Any ideas on the strange eyelid markings? I first saw the bats in the late 90's and they have increased in number over the years. They have always been in residence each time I have visited the camp but in December when I called in they were nowhere to be seen. Have they moved on or are they back now in their usual roost.????? bondm

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Howzit Bondm ;)

This bat is a Walhbergs Epualetted Fruit Bat, and so are the rest of the bats that used to live under the thatch by the cafeteria.

I am currently conducting basic research on the Skukuza Bat Population after an incident that occurred at the end of November last year where Skukuza had placed chlorine tablets in the bat roost itself, under the thatch. This thus drew the bats away and they are apparently roosting by the new conference area, but reports are proving otherwise. Skukuza has subsequently removed the chlorine tablets as we, as the general public kicked up a huge fuss as the bats were certainly one of Skukuza's biggest tourist attractions. Various topics have been raised in the Skukuza Bats Thread which can be found here ;) http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49587

We, as the public, will obviously be monitoring it, and with my involvement within Kruger now with regards to training the staff etc, i will hopefully help them cherish these guys more and get a better feeling as to what the majority of the public feels.

Amazing picture by the way! :thumbs_up:

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:16 am 

Hi Batmad, Thanks for the information. I went to the link and read through all the pages with interest.

Any ideas on the strange eyelid markings of these bats?

I can well understand the hygene problem but I always go and eat down by the river. I f we were worried about catching some dreadful disease we would never go to the park in the first place.

Surely these bats should be able to claim 'Squatters rights'.

All the best in your efforts to get the bats to return. bondm

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The markings above the eyelids are a simple characteristic of this species, but in the males, white shoulder patches can be seen. These are called Epualetts. And are raised and used during the courtship process where the male will hang from a branch, and flap his wings with each one of his metalic calls, and while doing this he will raise the Epualetts.

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 pm 

Thanks for that Batmad. I look forward to seeing the bats on my next visit in November. bondm

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:02 pm 

I saw this cute fellow in Babalala picknick spot in the Kruger. He/she was hanging under the thatched roof under the fig tree. I therefor believe it to be some kind of fruit bat. But this one was on its one and not in a group like the fruit bats at Skukuza.
You can also see he is ringed.
It looks like the Mauritian Tomb bats that were posted earlier in this topic; though I have no idea what that means.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Howzit Merel,

It is indeed a Mauritian Tomb Bat, one of the insectivorous bats in Kruger ;)

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 am 

Thanks Batmad, :thumbs_up:
Always nice to know what you are/have been looking at.
Do you have more information about this species?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sure thing ;)

The Mauritian Tomb Bat (Taphazous mauritianus) is one of Kruger's most common bat species, and is often found in its typical day roost which is on the side of trees, on the side of buildings, and under covering vegetation. In South Africa the Mauritian Tomb Bat occurs mostly in the Northern and eastern parts, as well as along the south coast. They have a very distinct roosting behavior and when disturbed they will run sideways along the surface, almost like a spider. It has an echolocation call ranging from 10-16 kHz and is audible to the human ear if it flies close. It prefers savanna and forest edges.

Hope this helps ;)

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 am 

Hi, I posted this on the mammal ID thread, but I saw this and thought it might be a better place to ask the question: What bat is this? Seen roosting in a building in Hwange Nat. Park, Zimbabwe.

Thanks

Nick

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:56 pm 

Thanks Batmad, it sure does help. :thumbs_up:
Most common bat in the Kruger.....I really must look better :shock: the next time I am in the park. (Whenever that may be ... sigh)
The fruit bats in Skukuza are a lot easier to spot :lol: (Hope these bats do come back there.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next